• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinra Technologies (Square Enix cloud-based company) has been dissolved

Hey man that's not true. They have tons of experience with the amazing online platform known as PlayOnline. Most people like to talk about Crystal Tools or Luminous, but the truth is, the crazy chase for their own branded little thing started from Sakaguchi's era. I still remember that conference where they announced FFIX, X, XI or something at the same time, and was pushing how PlayOnline would be this amazing online portal which all their games from PS2 onwards would connect to, and they showed off early FFX concept ideas of how it would use PlayOnline in the menus.

Lol.

I remember that. I was like 12 and on the IGN forums.

Mr. Tibbs

Gamasutra has a statement from a Square-Enix rep:

Square Enix Group today announced that Shinra Technologies, Inc. has discontinued its business and is currently under a liquidation process.

Shinra Technologies was established with the aim to build a cloud-gaming platform with supercomputer-class capabilities. To retain its neutrality and independence as a platform, Shinra Technologies was formed independently from other content-creating Square Enix entities, and set a goal to raise additional funds for further business operations from third party investors. However, Shinra Technologies has not been able to find prospective investors, and have taken the difficult decision to discontinue its business.

Square Enix Group will keep its confidence in cloud-gaming, and we will continue to develop our business using cloud technologies to deliver the new gaming-experiences to the world.

This is an unfortunate situation and we are offering all the assistance possible to any employees affected by this. We want to thank them for their hard work and sincerely wish them well in the future.

Didn't Square Enix produce and shoot a lengthy PV showing days in the lives of PlayOnline enthusiasts, showing how important being able to send email from their PS2 was to their social lives?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Have quite a few friends at Shinra that lost their jobs today. This is really sad. :(

Hope they land on their feet.

It's all due to the fal'Cies... Poor Wada will never manage to complete his Focus...

8UcjgGT.jpg

Haunted

Seems like they got blown up by an avalanche of negative feedback that really drove a wedge in their bigg cloud business plans.

Why locking this thread ?

anyway, reported by gameinformer, the compagny would suffer huge loss:

In a press release (translated by Gematsu), Square Enix said the young company's closure is due to a lack of third-party investors. As a result, the company will report an “extraordinary loss” of approximately ¥2 billion (~$16,800,000) for the end of its fiscal year in March.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/01/05/report-square-enix-closing-cloud-gaming-company-shinra-technologies.aspx

Hey man that's not true. They have tons of experience with the amazing online platform known as PlayOnline. Most people like to talk about Crystal Tools or Luminous, but the truth is, the crazy chase for their own branded little thing started from Sakaguchi's era. I still remember that conference where they announced FFIX, X, XI or something at the same time, and was pushing how PlayOnline would be this amazing online portal which all their games from PS2 onwards would connect to, and they showed off early FFX concept ideas of how it would use PlayOnline in the menus.

Lol.

Hey, at least it gave us this epic song

Top Bottom