• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I guess it really was impossible for me to avoid GoT spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-V-B

Why would you betray me Tvguide.com? Who the fuck puts a spoiler on the front page?

I was going to try the impossible task of avoiding all GoT spoilers to wait for the next books (lolgeorge), but apparently tvguide is worse than the average poster that doesn't spoiler tag their posts.

AFFh8FT.gif

IMDB did the same damn thing. The important picture and all.

I somehow made it until last October without really being spoiled on anything. I knew of the Red Wedding but had no idea what it really was about and I knew about the end of season 5, but that was about it. Not sure how I made it that long without really being spoiled.

It's happening in the 2nd episode of the series, I think the way they are treating it they don't feel it's much of a spoiler (and they've been teasing pretty heavily that he might still live the way they never did with other main character deaths). At some point they can't ignore the huge pop culture/water cooler elements of the show in order to appease people who are hyper sensitive to spoilers and also don't keep current with the show.

Zomba13

While I don't read the books and when I want to avoid spoilers I generally do a pretty good job of it, this must suck for book people. I mean, from what I can tell, no really big plot details were spoiled for TV people by major sites, and by that I mean like, before the Red Wedding happened there weren't articles on the front pages of websites or front covers of magazines spoiling the details of a major shocking event. And now, the moment the TV show is past the books there are spoilers everywhere for a big thing.

This must suck for book only people. I mean, say what you will about how predictable this was or how there were events leading up to it that hinted at it being possible, it still wasn't disclosed in the books and GRRM has done shocking things before so he could have had this play out the other (less popular?) way.

If you were avoiding TV spoilers why on earth would you even risk going to a website dedicated for TV news and discussions? Yeah, they shouldn't straight up spoil with a headline but it happens all the time.

Always avoid TV sites and IGN if you don't want your favorite insanely popular show spoiled.
Yes, this seems obvious. Spoilers are easily avoided with common sense.

My outlook: If you don't want the internet to fuck you, don't fuck with the internet. When fuckery is involved, the internet always outfuck you.

In regard to A Song Of Ice And Fire, my outlook is: abandon all hope ye who enter here. It's a tsunami of crap for those who who hold purity in regard as it pertains to the story right now.

You either have to go full hippy blackout or suffer the consequences. It's not a geeky aside anymore. It's a goddamn internet thing, and it will only intensify.

Pretty much. The show's going to be over long before the final book's released, if the next book even ever is. At this point there's really not much else for you to do. You either abandon everything or accept that shit's going to be discussed everywhere whenever a major development happens. It's been that way since at least the Red Wedding, and it's only getting bigger now that GRRM clearly isn't going to beat the show to the end.

Mistake

I haven't been spoiled. Hell, I barely know what the show is about. My coworkers talk about it sometimes, but I ignore them. I thought I would pick it up once it finishes, but from the sounds of it there is no point because of the speed at which the books are being written

Daingurse

I managed to avoid spoilers, only watched the show a few hours ago off the DVR. Sucks it happened to you OP.

That Entertainment Weekly cover is hilarious though. They don't give a fuck lol.

I can't even wrap my mind around someone thinking they would be able to avoid "spoilers" until the final books come out. Once something has been broadcast people will be talking about it everywhere and that's the way it should be.

TheXbox

I can't even wrap my mind around someone thinking they would be able to avoid "spoilers" until the final books come out. Once something has been broadcast people will be talking about it everywhere and that's the way it should be.
If you don't have friends who watch the show and you don't lurk on YouTube comments or shit like TV Guide's website, it's doable. Game of Thrones is popular, but it's not like trying to escape the presidential election. Shit, there were people who managed to stay spoiler-free from TFA even up to the Bluray release.

The upside to this show being done so soon is that people will stop talking about it years before Martin finishes the series. So if you can hold out for, like, two or three more years, you've got a good chance.

Dabanton

In terms of GoT if you're not watching it within the first day of screening it's now open season.

The show is just too big for these websites and publications to hide spoilers. From their pov once it's screened they can talk about it.

Skux

Who goes to a site called TV Guide on Game of Thrones night?

Hell, six seasons in you should know better than to even be on the internet if you aren't watching it live.

It's become a media event. Like a sports championship. If you aren't watching live, there's no way you'll avoid spoilers unless you disconnect completely.

Metrotab

Banned
I guess I'm happy that I don't care about the series like I used to. I'll pick up the books whenever GRRM finds time to release them, but I have completely lost the hype about it.

xrnzaaas

Sadly most sites don't give a shit about posting spoilers, because it's about the clicks and the few readers that don't want spoilers don't matter to them. My personal "favorite" is imdb. They put the spoiler warning in the news title on the main page, but the content of the spoiler is still visible in the description so if you don't take your eyes away quickly you're fucked. Or sometimes you don't even need to read anything... I see they've posted Jon's photo on the main page as well. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom