• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sky Crawlers [Wii] screens , Video

gkryhewy

Andy787 said:
ace-combat-6-fires-of-liberation-20071004044516625.jpg

I know this tool was trolling and banned for it, but damn if AC6 isn't all kinds of awesome. I can't wait for Sky Crawlers.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Farore said:
I'm pretty sure that's not dithering but the results of the JPG compression...

Could be a lot of wii/gc games are effected by the issue. Unless it's 24bit color it's a possibility along with the compression.

Sagitario

If the game runs in 16-bit, it will have dithering, that's for sure...

But in that pic, there is no dithering as far as I can tell... only the the result of the JPG compression around the planes...

I'd be all over this if I didn't already have AC6. Looks like they put a good amount of effort into it. As far as 3rd party Wii games go that looks pretty excellent.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
oh geeze, do want. it's been a long time since i've played a good dogfighting game. hopefully this will deliver. both the movie and the game are looking to be in my future media purchases.

It certainly looks good so far. Well, I guess I will keep an eye on this one...
The official site opened by the way. There are a few new pics too :

54581.png

6464646.png

5656164.png

496476464.png

Also it seems like an official trailer will be unveiled on this site on March 31st.

Monocle

Those screens are gorgeous. This is the first I've heard about this game. I'll be interested to see if it delivers.

StevieP

Banned
Zer0 said:
the lack of aliasing is suspicious but i love the retro desing of the fighters

There was aliasing in AC6 as well, though some screens certainly "hide" it well... Anyway, it looks really nice, but why the lack of shader water? Even Wii Airplane has shader water, and that looks very basic.

More :

sky_crawlers_11sized.jpg

sky_crawlers_2sized.jpg

sky_crawlers_8sized.jpg

sky_crawlers_6sized.jpg

Yup, I think some of these got definitely touched up (from having seen a few 'shops in my time, etc)...Anyway, I guess we will know soon enough what's up with this game (graphics-wise and obviously gameplay/controls-wise)... Maybe through the upcoming trailer ?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Gameplay-wise I don't see it deviating much from the Ace Combat style of gaming.

Story, characters, missions.

If you want to check up on what the "universe" of The Sky Crawlers is like, just read the wikipedia entries on either the novel itself or the anime adaption coming by Mamoru Oshii.

speedpop said:
Gameplay-wise I don't see it deviating much from the Ace Combat style of gaming.
Obviously, but I'm more interested in the controls aspect of the gameplay, myself...The control-scheme that's been detailled sounds nice, but I'm hoping they are not doing a dirty job and shoe-horning the Wiimote just for the sake of having motion controls. I just want controls that work great, and that still use enough of the Wiimote and Nuchuk capabilities to contribute to the immersiveness...
So, hopefully, Namco isn't sipnning the facts and they got some really talented staff to work on this game, because I think there really is some potential for something here.

TunaLover

beaten ^

BTW it seems like Oshii is really deep involved in the game, I love how he turn the nunchuk during he was flying :O

Zenith

Banned
hamzik said:
Love the plane design. I really hope this turns out well and comes to Euroland soon enough. And give us online dogfights!

those plane designs are real-life models. those look like Corsairs in the top pic and that japanese experimental plane in the bottom.

I'm a little sceptical on using the nunchuk to control the plane. That device hasn't been used very effectively for tilt in Wii games so far.

TunaLover

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm a little sceptical on using the nunchuk to control the plane. That device hasn't been used very effectively for tilt in Wii games so far.

And that is a problem, nunchuk motion sensing capabilities has been used mainly for waggle rough movements so far. It can effectively detect degrades of turn. (Manhunt sneak comes to my mind)

Durante

Just for the record, these are indeed bullshots. The Wii doesn't do 800x449 with 8xAA. But the assets (both models and textures) should be in-game.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Zenith said:
those plane designs are real-life models. those look like Corsairs in the top pic and that japanese experimental plane in the bottom.
no, the gull-wing slope is a bit more pronounced on a corsair, plus a corsair doesn't have that narrow nose look. its more like the bastard child between a corsair and a mustang. i say bastard because the corsair is SUCH the better aircraft.

dyls

_Alkaline_ said:

I believe the tilt sensor is exactly the same in the Wiimote and the nunchuk. I think you're thinking of the accelerometers, of which there are less (?) in the nunchuk than the Wiimote.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Phife Dawg said:
SSX Blur begs to differ.

Agreed. Of all the problems with that horrific game (horrible trick control, horrible artwork, very, very blurry graphics), the nunchuck tilt was the most reliable part of the game.

Threi

notag
_Alkaline_ said:

The only game i played that had accurate nunchuk tilt is Metroid Prime 3. When you cast the grapple lasso, you can tilt the nunchuk to move Samus' hand.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Threi said:
The only game i played that had accurate nunchuk tilt is Metroid Prime 3. When you cast the grapple lasso, you can tilt the nunchuk to move Samus' hand.

...... I never noticed. *^,^*

Anyways, looking forward to the video on this.

Ramenman

PantherLotus said:
Agreed. Of all the problems with that horrific game (horrible trick control, horrible artwork, very, very blurry graphics), the nunchuck tilt was the most reliable part of the game.

Nooo it wasn't :p

You just never got it, but don't worry that's the case of 50% of people who played this game. I did, and I played it again with my brother yesterday, Ihadn't in months, and I can still pull off all the Ubers I want.

Oh well, that's OT, the fact is I totally agree that nunchuk tilt felt really great, and I can't wait to see a good plane game use it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
_Alkaline_ said:
True, SSX Blur is awesome, but that's more of an exception.

Which shows why devs need more polish on Wii something that was mentioned numerous times by people in nintendo as we learned more about the system. The system penalizes you for shit control more so than any gamepad ever will but that's sort of the flipside of things. Do things bad it will be far worse than on a bad do things great we get things like moh, godfather, mp3, smg, and pes.

_Alkaline_ said:
I believe you can play Kororinpa Marble Mania 2 players with one using the Wiimote and the other using the Nunchuck with the same tilt capabilities.

LCGeek said:
Which shows why devs need more polish on Wii something that was mentioned numerous times by people in nintendo as we learned more about the system. The system penalizes you for shit control more so than any gamepad ever will but that's sort of the flipside of things. Do things bad it will be far worse than on a bad do things great we get things like moh, godfather, mp3, smg, and pes.

Perhaps, then, this decision by the Ace Combat team is a good one. After all, if it works out well and it feels great, then it sets up a template for future games to follow and improve on.

I wasn't saying that using the nunchuk for tilt is bad - it's just that, for most games that use it for tilt, the results have been less than impressive. Here's hoping Sky Crawlers changes that trend.

LCGeek

formerly sane
_Alkaline_ said:
Perhaps, then, this decision by the Ace Combat team is a good one. After all, if it works out well and it feels great, then it sets up a template for future games to follow and improve on.

I wasn't saying that using the nunchuk for tilt is bad - it's just that, for most games that use it for tilt, the results have been less than impressive. Here's hoping Sky Crawlers changes that trend.

I agree a lot of crap related to mote or nunchuck hasn't bene used properly or as well as could be, thinking of red steel control aspects. The problem is refinement and really seeing how it plays with most devs can't take a rush mentality anymore.

Top Bottom