• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Director: “If it weren’t for Eve's [long ponytail] hairstyle, maybe the development period could have been shortened by about a year"

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

I guess it’s just a joke. But if that detail alone actually took that much time to get right, they’ve been spending resources on the wrong things.
You just resumed modern gaming development.

Bitching about time and costs. When trying to make pretty hair perfect.

Robb

Gold Member
Bitching about time and costs. When trying to make pretty hair perfect.
I think it’s more about the alternative costs. How many more awesomely choreographed fights, enemy variety etc. etc. etc. could we have gotten instead? Things that might actually make the game better and more memorable.

Boss Mog

I guess it’s just a joke. But if that detail alone actually took that much time to get right, they’ve been spending resources on the wrong things.
Still, it's time way better spent than time spent consulting DEI advocates.

You’re probably right, but I don’t really think the devs care much about NeoGaf specifically.

And even so, if you had a poll here asking if they’d rather get more awesomely choreographed fights/greater enemy variety/etc. Vs. “a nice looking pony tail”, I’m fairly sure pony tail would lose.
I think graphics complaints go beyond neogaf we've seen the recent complaints about rebirth and ronin etc on reddit and twitter. I think there a vocal minority but they can certainly make alot of noise

I think some devs really feel the pressure to keep pushing graphics like Sony first party studios, Rockstar, and CD Project.

Fortunately we've had games sell millions despite not being at the Cutting edge like Elden ring.

I personally don't mind some devs pushing graphics. It gets silly when we start judging all games by Rockstar standards though.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I think it’s more about the alternative costs. How many more awesomely choreographed fights, enemy variety etc. etc. etc. could we have gotten instead? Things that might actually make the game better and more memorable.
Its like all in life... you have to balance what you want to do and what you should do .... if you want to pursue beautiful movement ponytail hair and add costs and a year to your development... good.. do it .. but dont come bitching about gaming costs/time to develop.

I see too much of this lately.. always talking about the high development costs and the long time to make a game... while doing the most unnecessary things possible in a 40-80 hour bloated usually open world extravaganza ... this without even counting western hiring practices that more and more hire based on Ticking social boxes instead of real copetence... this alone can turn development a frcking hell.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, that's actually closer to how you move hair instead of the kraken tentacles living hair Alloy has on her head, damn I really hate how it looks, like her hair had barely any gravity effecting and the hair goes all fucking berserker even on slight movements :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's joking but I love when directors have their own fetish and insists to make it into the game like in Nier, or Kojima's games. Million times better than the braindead western studios following the whatever dictations of their DEI department.

Crayon

the hair was kinda bothering me and I was pleasently surprised when I saw the short hair settings, the realized that it was a bother.

I can see how it would be annoying. My wife likes it short. Her hairstyle actually changes to a bob with the short pony, too.

I've always liked streamers/afterimages on characters, cars, anything ever since ninja gaiden 2. 😄

Top Bottom