• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official 'What Developers Have to Say about the Revolution' Thread

The Official 'What Developers Have to Say about the Revolution' Thread

revlogo.jpg

Wondering what developers have been saying? Wondering what your favorite developer said about it? Maybe they’ve got a quote listed here! Look no further. This thread aims to provide a summary of various interviews and quotes that have appeared online since the unveiling of the Revolution and its controller.

[Disclaimer: Most of these quotes have not been edited, however, quotes taken from certain sources have been trimmed down to try and summarize their points.]

konami.jpg

Hideo Kojima
Kojima Productions, ‘Metal Gear’ creator

"'You've done it' was my impression. This was totally unexpected. I was pleasantly surprised, because the controller is quite comfortable yet provides something brand new...even though it was a surprise to me at first, once I touched the controller I quickly understood how it should be used much like a remote control for your TV. This is exactly what I was looking for."

[updated Dec 18]
"The Revolution will be popular with girls." He says he wants to make a game "based on life, something organic," something that will bring him closer to the movie directors and novelists he admires, and that the Revolution is the most capable means of achieving that goal.

[updated Dec 28]
He does admit to wanting to make games for all three next generation platforms, though, giving the nod in particular to Revolution as a platform that, as a designer, it would be "foolish" for him to pass up on. With Revolution, he adds, he'd like to make strides in areas other than graphics and sound, a change for him, as he believes he's known as someone who pursues realistic visuals owing to his love of movies.

Hiroshi Tanibuchi
Producer at Konami, ‘Power Pro Baseball’

Tanibuch states that he was surprised when he first saw the controller, adding "In truth -- and this is just between us -- I was able to get my hands on the controller. The on-screen characters move in accordance with the controller's movements -- it's such a fresh feeling. Although you probably won't understand until you've tried it yourself." On the topic of Japan's favorite baseball series, he suggests good things for a possible Revolution version: "If we were to make it, we'd want to make a special Power Pro for the Revolution." He states that he personally likes games that make you move your body and is interested in making an action game that uses both hands. He's also interested in the Revolution-DS link up.

squareenix.jpg

Yuji Horii
Square Enix, ‘Dragon Quest’ designer

"At first introduction to the controller, I was surprised. There should have been a controller like this before, but surprisingly, there was not. I believe people will not hesitate to use this controller. Just like a remote control for your TV, people touch it without understanding how to use it. Starting with DS, I believe Nintendo has made game machines that are for the feeling of touch. The Revolution controller has evolved this feeling of touch even farther."

Akitori Kawazu
Square Enix, ‘Final Fantasy XII’ producer

"The first thing that came to my mind was, 'Controlling with one hand? Wow, that's a bold approach.' It's great to see the movements of your hands and arms, especially the subtle action twist reflected on the strain the physical feeling you get; it's not what I expected. I believe this will challenge us as creators, to figure out how we are going to utilize this fundamental change."

Kouichi Ishii
Producer at Square Enix, ‘World of Mana project’

“I believe creators will enjoy making games [with the controller]. You'll have to change game design methods from the core. For instance, you'll have to start by looking back at your play as a kid and think of what kinds of things you could do if developing for the Revolution. If you can do this, then surely you will be able to make a completely new form of play, different from current games."

[updated Dec 18]
"It'd be a shame if developers only transferred existing games to this system. They've got to envision a more creative route then buckle up for a wild ride."

Yoshinori Kitase
producer at Square Enix, ´Final Fantasy VII´, ´Kingdom Hearts´

He reveals that he loves to go home after a long day's work, lay down, pick up the television remote with one hand and flip channels on the television. Games require him to move and hold the controller with both hands, and for first person shooters, things get even worse, as he's required to set up a table, mouse and keyboard. Kitase believes that the Revolution controller will allow people to play while laying down, using the controller to shoot things and wield guns. More strikingly, he states that the Revolution controller doesn't just change the content of a game, but the lifestyle of its players.

thq.jpg

Brian Ferrel
President and CEO of THQ

"Nintendo has long been a trailblazer, and this controller design reinforces that reputation. We enthusiastically support Nintendo's next console because we believe their approach of continual innovation is very much in line with our own strategy of creating unique and innovative games for the next generation of hardware."

[updated Dec 18]
Jack Sorenson,
Excecutive VP, Worldwide Studios at THQ

"Think about how many players you know that move controllers upward when pressing the jump button or turn it while steering in a racing game. With Revolution, these movements can be made to affect gameplay. Any genre that's suffered from traditional controller limitations stands to initially benefit the most, particularly ones with too many complex button combinations. Also, mouse-oriented PC genres (RTS, adventure games) could become much more console-friendly with the Revolution controller."

activision.jpg

Chuck Huebner
Head of Worldwide Studios at Activision

"What we're seeing from this controller is the same thing we saw with Nintendo DS. It's a system that's designed with an eye on enticing new players to the video game industry, and that's something we firmly support."

[updated Dec 18]
Steve Pearce
VP of Technology at Activision

"Anyone present at Iwata-san's unveiling of the controller at TGS has imagined what future visions of Nintendo classics will be like. Envisioning Link's spin attack, Mario's triple jump and Samus' gunplay on Revolution is an intriguing exercise. Similarly, the Activision design teams are creatively charged as they determine how the controller can best be used on our titles. How will Spider-Man's Revolution webs be cast, Tony Hawk's deck be flipped and Call of Duty grenades be thrown?"

ea.jpg

Will Wright
Designer at EA, 'Sims,' 'Spore'

"I'm really interested in the Revolution to see how the controller works out. That looks pretty cool. It looks very interesting to me. I like the idea of taking the games more outside the box and more into that close-body kind of space."

John Schapper
Sr. Vice President and General Manager of EA Canada

"Game control is essential - it's the area where perhaps the most game-play improvement can be made. While our portfolio represents a full array of titles across all genres, I think our sports titles might be the first to immediately take advantage of what this novel 'freehand' type of control has to offer."

[updated Dec 18]
"As a longtime Nintendo fan, I applaud the spirit of innovation and creativity of the Revolution controller. Being wireless and designed similarly to a TV controller, it's an innovative, ergonomic winner right out of the box. The beauty of the controller is that possibilities for new game ideas are limitless... You can build an entire game concept around the controller's features or find ways to intregrate them into existing franchises. Right now at EA, we're exploring both of these paths. Our developers are inspired and excited by the new controller's features."

Chris Cross
Game Design Director at EA LA

“Personally I’m excited about the new controller. It seems like it will be intuitive for most and a very cool alternative to the “standard” control paradigm. If we assume game design starts with the interface, try to imagine what new genres might pop up. I can’t wait to get one in my hands and try it out. Realistically for the first couple years most developers will be adapting their old games to fit this interface with only a couple really taking advantage of it. Give it a couple game cycles and we should see some interesting stuff at E3 '07. I haven’t been this excited since Sony put a second stick on their controller.”

EA
Reggie Fils-Aime of Nintendo quotes EA

"It's a brilliant controller, and as usual we can credit Nintendo with being innovative and neat and fresh and fun. They continue to pioneer in our industry…they make some of the best games in the industry…and we look forward to partnering with them."

ubisoft.jpg

Michel Ancel
Game Designer at Ubisoft, ‘Rayman,’ ‘BG&E,’ ‘King Kong’

“I feel just like a child with a new toy, opening millions of new doors of possibilities. More than an improvement, this way of playing is creating a new dimension. It’s simple, when Nintendo unveils its hardware, every member of the team starts imagining crazy ideas. It’s opening their minds. The fact of adding 3D gestures as the way of communicating with the game is just the perfect kind of innovation that can bring new games to new gamers. To me, it can bring the consoles what the mouse brought to the PC at it time. It’s a 3D pointer with rotation information! Now, you're going to handle virtual objects, make recognition signs. It’s closer to the way we act in real world, that’s why it’s going to be mass market. I’m sure that people will go crazy given the ability to interact so easily with virtual worlds. I’m just mad about it!”

[updated Dec 18]
Nicolas Eypert
Creative Director at Ubisoft

"The Revolution controller breaks the 'push button' experience of other platforms, where the player must go through an abstract action--pushing a button--to complete an action. With the Revolution, the action is completely natural and physical. We can propose new types of interactions that are easy and fun, as they rely on a simple gesture. We can translate into video game interactions all the tools you manipulate with your hand: the sculptor's tool, the doctor's scalpel, the fireman's hose...imagine you are a doctor curing patients or an architect who builds his own house! It opens up so many possibilities that we already have too many ideas. All the designers that I've spoken with at Ubisoft are buzzing with amazing ideas."

Serge Hascoet
Chief Creative Officer of Ubisoft

"We were among the first publishers to see the control design in action. We're excited about the new controller and are looking forward to taking advantage of its innovative aspects."

grasshopper.jpg

Kouichi Suda
President of Grasshopper Interactive

Kouichi Suda states that, although he has not been able to use the infamous controller himself, he feels there was “no choice but to make games for it”, adding “I've already finalized a plan. Now, all that remains is to make it.” He has gone into a bit more depth as part of a similar feature in the latest issue of Famitsu. Following some heavy praise where he suggests that the controller could change the face of gaming, Suda reveals that he's finalizing plans for an original Revolution game. While details are a secret at this point, he tells us that we can expect something extreme, in line with what one expects of a Grasshopper title. The game will focus heavily on direct input through the controller, and will, he promises, exceed Killer 7.

sega.jpg

Yuji Naka
Producer at Sega, 'Sonic,' 'NiGHTS, 'Phantasy Star'

"I look forward to the 'new kind of fun' that's unique to Nintendo, and I expect that there will be a lot of surprises, such as the unannounced controller. It's also great that we'll be able to play Famicom and other games via download. I hope Sega games will be playable as well."

Toshihiro Nagoshi
Producer at Sega, ‘F-Zero GX/AX,’ ‘Super Monkey Ball’

"I doubt that there's a creator who doesn't get tickled after getting their hands on this. It combines all the elements required to let you enjoy games while feeling that you've become the character."

[updated Dec 18]
"I was just as surprised by the look of the controller as I was by playing with it. I was really struck by Nintendo's bold direction. All game creators will be inspired by seeing it in motion."

[updated Dec 28]
Yu Suzuki
Manager at Sega AM Plus

Asked about the PS3, Revolution and Xbox 360, he refers to Xbox 360 as being PC-like, Revolution as being toy-like and PS3 as being like a super home appliance.

[updated Dec 18]
Bill Petro
Senior VP of Product Development at Sega of America

"Role-playing games will be greatly enhanced, due to new control styles. Pointing will make moving in large environments very simple, and twist- and position-senging will allow for dual weapon wielding or gesture-based spell-casting."

banpresto.jpg

Takanobu Terada
Producer at Banpresto, ‘Super Robot Taisen’

"To be honest, I was expecting the Revolution controller to have an even more unique form, so I was initially disappointed. However, that quickly disappeared. I feel that it is a great controller that can inspire many ideas, even aside from video games."

namco.jpg

Toru Iwatani
Producer at Namco, ‘Pac-Man’

"Just as input with the Nintendo DS pen gave birth to new game contents, there are great possibilities hidden in this remote-like controller." He gives a couple of examples of game ideas, including a text input style game that targets people who've become used to inputting text with their thumbs on the cell phone. The controller gives the creative spirit of game creators a jolt, Iwatani states before finishing up his comments by asking that Nintendo continue from here on out to stimulate gamers and creators alike in new ways.

mistwalker.jpg

Hironobu Sakaguchi
Mistwalker, ‘Final Fantasy’ creator

"When I first saw it, I thought 'It's great!' and 'It's just like Nintendo!' It makes you feel like you're actually touching the screen. In that sense, you could say that it's an extension of the DS, but it's actually very different." Pointing out that the controller allows for a wide variety of actions, he adds, "When shown such a new concept, software makers are, even as just normal people, left excited." He comments that the controller makes you feel like you're touching the screen. Simply trying out the controller filled him with ideas, he admits.

marvelous.jpg

Yasuhiro Wada
Marvelous Interactive, ‘Harvest Moon’

Wada was at first taken back by the controller. He found it to be small and nicely designed, but as a controller, it crossed the bounds of his understanding. Once he got his hands on it, he suddenly got the idea and felt that it would work. This is similar to how he felt with the DS -- the feeling of various ideas appearing one after the other. "As a creator, this is the ultimate toy," he states with a laugh, but also adds caution, saying, "A number of basic ideas come forth, but placing those properly into a game and making players have fun is difficult." Wada seems to love the controller, though, as he adds, "Isn't this the thing that will cause a revolution to the game industry, which has slowly lost its way?"

from.jpg

Atsuhi Taniguchi
producer at From Software, ´Tenchu´

He states that he would want to use the expansion pack shown at the press conference (the analogue pad expansion, which Nintendo expects to include with the remote right out of the box) and make a first person title.

level5.jpg

Akihiro Hino
producer at Level 5, ´True Fantasy Live Online´, ´Dragon Quest VIII´

He believes that the Revolution will give birth to new types of games. He is personally interested in making an RPG where you hold a shield in one hand, a sword in the other and mount a head set on our head -- although he laughs that this would be impossible. More seriously, he seems concerned about players getting tired due to all the hand movement, regardless of how much fun their having. The hardware has a lot of potential, but he hopes that games are designed so that even if they're played for lengthy periods people won't get tired.

q.jpg

Tetsuya Mizuguchi
president of Q Entertainment, `Space Channel 5´, ´Rez´, ´Lumines´

He states that he'd like to think up some way of combining the controller with music. He wants to create a game that gives the feeling of hooking up directly to your physical senses.

lionhead.jpg

Peter Molyneux
Lionhead Studios, 'Black & White,' 'Fable,' 'The Movies'

"I can tell you it's a great great product, and that's exactly what I meant by never underestimate Nintendo. You know, this is a Revolution. It's what they, you know, it's not the hardware of the machine, it's not the speed of the machine, it's the fact that that device will enable games to be made unlike no other have ever been.

It's so exciting to actually, for the first time, feel that you can move something in a 3D space. I mean, you gotta remember that the controllers that we're currently using on the other consoles, really have their origin in platform games. They have no sympathy for moving around in a you know, a 3D world, and that's what makes Revolution so exciting. I would love to be doing something for it."

valve.jpg

Robin Walker
Lead Designer at Valve

Responding to the question - What kind of game would you like to design for Revolution: “There’s a couple I could think of, but I’m not really sure, because I haven’t seen the console.”

atari.jpg

[updated Dec 18]
Jean-Marcel Nicolai
Senior VP of Worldwide Content at Atari

"Nintendo has created an innovative new controller, fully immersing the gamer with a revolutionary interface. The controller should expand the marketplace by appealing to the mass audience as well as avid gamers. And the development community will have as much fun exploring the power of the Revolution controller as consumers will playing it."

Nolan Bushnell
Atari Founder, no longer associated with Atari

"The 3D controller that Nintendo is on to is a very good idea. If you look at today’s controller with triangles, Xs, squares and circles, it’s scary. It’s like a keyboard. People are interface phobic. Complexity lost the casual gamer; violence lost the woman gamer."

crystaldynamics.jpg

[updated Dec 18]
Noah Hughes
Director of Design at Crystal Dynamics

"In the landscape of primarily linear evolution, it is refresing to see a product like the Revolution that truly strives to redefine game design. As a game designer, I am always excited to see products...which open the door to so many new possibilities."

studios.jpg

Kouji Okada
president of Gaia Studio, ´Shin Megami Tensei´

He believes the controller will allow for a completely new type of RPG, adding that he'd like to try out many new challenges.

Noritaka Funamizu
producer at Craft & Meister, ´Resident Evil: Outbreak´

He believes that that the controller will fit perfectly with games where you move a cursor about - in fact, he believes the controller can do more than an ordinary mouse. A simulation with a focus on action would be perfect for the controller, he suggests. Funamizu closes off his comments with the prediction that those who've been making games since the old days will have an easier time with the Revolution (a group that includes him, he points out).

Masahiro Sakurai
Sora -- previous work on Kirby, Smash Brother and Meteos

"I'm sympathetic for Nintendo's stance of reducing hurdles for games. For that reason, I think it's good that the controller buttons have been reduced to just one. A long remote controller shape with just one button. This has impact. The DS, with its touch screen, made games a ways easier to understand. However, with the D-pad and buttons, and also the touch panel, controls actually became more complicated. I think it would be good if the same thing doesn't happen with Revolution."

Geremy Mustard
Chair Entertainment, ‘Advent Rising’

“The Revolution will be much more powerful than the GameCube. I think people will be surprised at how many games will continue to be made across all three consoles. Game developers are becoming better at making their engines scalable, so that they can easily downsize textures, reformat audio, etc, so games can still be made to look pretty on some systems yet still play well on less capable ones. I think we will see a lot of innovation on the Revolution if Nintendo creates a flexible price point for smaller games. It seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard or expensive for Nintendo to support HDTV output. That would at least allow the developers to make up their own minds about whether their game can support it or not. It should be the choice of the developer, though, and Nintendo should support HDTV output on the Revolution.”

gamerepublic.jpg

Yoshiki Okamoto
president of Game Republic, creator of ´Street Fighter´ series

He believes that the controller has such appeal that even people who lack imagination light up with wonder at what can be done with the device. He admits to having just a few ideas himself, including an action RPG and a horror game so scary that it almost makes you throw your controller.

radical.jpg

Chris Mitchell
Game Designer at Radical Entertainment

“A lot of incredibly addictive arcade games can be moved into the living room now. Go to any Japanese arcade and you'll see people playing fishing games, dog walking games etc, and they're fun largely because of the interface. Traditionally those sorts of games have not translated well on consoles but now there's a whole body of existing and proven casual genre games that can be done by us.”

Des Hinkson
Senior Designer at Radical Entertainment

“Revolution controller = casual gamer paradise.

A lot of people are really intimidated by buttons. Console controllers are scary things that make you look dumb if you don't know which button to press. I remember my frustration at switching from Nintendo to Sony and having to look for the Triangle button, Circle button, etc in Parappa the Rapper and it took time and dedication to feel comfortable with the controller. My wife is not a gamer, heck she doesn't even use the TV remote proficiently, preferring to use the numbers instead of the channel up and down keys. I think Nintendo have been watching the people who put down the controller too quickly and the people who play with their tongues out and tilt their controllers to get that extra bit of corning control. Revolution means people can have fun more immediately and we can hook them on that fun without the time and dedication needed to learn how to use a traditional controller.”

Eric Holmes
Radical Entertainment

“I'd like to know more about the software. When the announcement came out there was a whole lot of buzz about what could be done with the controller, but I have yet to see some video or feature doing the internet rounds in the same way that the PS3's E3 "Killzone" movie did. There's a lot of talk about what you could do...how about showing an amazing game running that is an absolute must-have-must-play-must-get-on-day-one system seller? I think if you showed what is being done with the unit it would make the potential of the controller clear. I would have preferred it if Nintendo had perhaps talked to more of the third party developers to get feedback on the controller from us, but I think it's all conducted internally. Nintendo has made a surprising move. As a gamer, I'm keen to get my hands on one and see what happens when the games start flowing. They will be different; that's about all we can be sure of.”

Cary Brisebois
Technical Director, Radical Entertainment

“The Wavebird was second only to the Sony controller…

I think that it is going to start getting really hard to make games that rely on the old standard configuration of face buttons fit with this model. It was tricky enough with the one fewer button on the Gamecube controller. Cross platform games may not be the model for Revolution.

As Napoleon would say: “Yikes.””

sun.jpg

Chris Melissinos
Chief Gaming Officer at Sun Microsystems

“This is why I love Nintendo. Just when people think that innovation is dead and game design/implementation is becoming a barren wasteland, the House of Mario does something so off the wall that people stand up and take notice. What other game hardware company would have the guts to release a controller that looks like a TV remote? No one but Nintendo.

Not only do I believe that the controller will help usher in a new generation of game design, I think the Revolution has a better chance of succeeding than most analysts and critics believe. The combination of their "motion centric" controller, deep catalog of content spanning 20+ years and kick ass next generation games, puts Nintendo is in the best position to broaden the market and bring those gamers, who stopped playing, back to the television with their family in tow. I want to thank Nintendo for not maintaining the status quo, for constantly pushing the industry to rethink how games can be implemented and, most importantly, for reminding us that how we play is just as important as what we play.”

vicariousvisions.jpg

Karthik Bala
Vicarious Visions

“For developers, programming the controller shouldn't be all that challenging. Now, coming up with a great game design -- that will be challenging! I think what Nintendo is going after is giving players new kinds of game experiences -- not just the same old with better graphics. I think you are going to see some established franchises appear on the Revolution that are going to be genius on the platform. Of course the game won't be exactly the same game as [it would be on] PS3 or Xbox 360 -- but really, what's the point in that? I think we all need to widen the lens and not see the next generation of consoles being direct competitors of each other. Stop comparing hardware specs and who's got the bigger CPU. Just give me some good games with more innovation in game design...dammit! Much like the DS, I think people are underestimating what the system is capable of. We all know that [Nintendo] will produce one or two killer titles at or near launch for the system. But it's a strong third-party portfolio that will be the key to success. I believe Nintendo is well aware of this and it will be interesting to see how the launch lineup unfolds for Revolution.”

foundation9.jpg

Chris Charla
Foundation 9 [Backbone + The Collective + Pipeworks], ‘Death Jr.’

“If you say, "Oh, you can only use the controller as a gimmick," you're not likely to come up with something that isn't a gimmick. I think for a lot of developers, the jury is out until they can get it and try it for themselves, but I don't think there are too many people in the development community who've dismissed it out of hand based on what they've seen so far. With respect to big franchises that we play on other platforms, I think some of the Revolution offerings may bring some new, better approaches to doing things we're used to doing with a joystick. I don't think it's accurate [that Revolution will have trouble with traditional games], and I don't think it matters as much as people think it will. You'll see some people take stabs at totally original things, and you'll see some people just do a few Revolution specific things. How many of the "new game types" will stick is impossible to say. Just like DS, there will be a period of gimmicky things that kind of don't work, and there may be some traditional genres that may be really enhanced by the controller, and then there is always the chance that there will some crazy breakout hit that changes everything! It's a bummer, and a little irritating, but for the next generation, it's probably not required that your system support HD. I have an HDTV, but I still watch a lot of plain old NTSC content. If the games are good, people won't care if they have to play them in 480i. If the games suck, 1080p doesn't fix that, either!”

gearbox.jpg

Randy Pitchford
Gearbox, ‘Brothers in Arms’

“I don't think that the scope of a game has anything to do with the interface. The scope of the games are going to be driven by the dreams of our customers. If customers are there demanding these games, the games will be there, too. The big publishers don't like to leave money on the table, so they'll find a way to make the biggest brands work on the Revolution. Nintendo has driven the way on console interfaces for quite some time -- I think this one is a big, interesting step that we're all going to want to pay attention to. I think the analog "aiming" of the controller is really neat. The idea that we can have full, rich gaming experiences that we can interface with one hand is really exciting to me.”

treasure.jpg

Masato Maegawa
President and Cofounder at Treasure

“We have started to talk about the Revolution with Nintendo, but not in any great detail. Please wait a little longer.

oddworld.jpg

Lorne Lanning
President/Creative Director, Oddworld Inhabitants

“An interesting innovation for the “small handed” segment of the market. Hopefully a larger version will be available for the larger hand endowed audience that is likely to be more carpal tunnel prone.”

epic.jpg

Cliff Bleszinski
Lead Designer, Epic Games

“It seems as if Nintendo has found a modular way that they can take the best of the location-based entertainment/arcade experience and bring it home to the user. So all of those games you loved physically interacting with in the arcade – the drum game, the fishing one the, uh, poke your friend in the eye one….can really come to life in the living room. I haven’t been able to hold or use it yet so I’ll refrain from any further judgment until I get hands on as that’s what really, truly matters – feel!”

behemoth.jpg

Tom Fulp
The Behemoth, ‘Alien Hominid’

“I think the games produced by Nintendo will be worth the price of admission. I do have concerns as a developer. If the Revolution doesn't offer a large enough install base, it will be a tough sell for companies to focus their development efforts on a single platform. If we come up with a game idea specifically for the Revolution that is just too fun to pass up, I'm sure we'll do it. The other scenario is the Revolution will get a port of a game that works on the other consoles as well. I think they are already keeping an open mind and holding the door open for new ideas, so that is great. It could definitely benefit Nintendo to establish the Revolution as something that doesn't compete with the Xbox 360 and PS3, but is rather in a realm of its own and a required purchase for every gamer because the experience is that unique.”

shiny.jpg

David Perry
President, Shiny Entertainment

“After toying around with this Revolution remote control, and after fighting my grandparents off it, my prediction is that people will be looking to buy a "normal" controller to plug in.

So thanks Nintendo for trying. I actually respect the effort a lot! Oh well, just five more years and we can try again.”

funcom.jpg

Ragnar Tornquist
Director at Funcom, 'Longest Journey,' 'Anarchy Online'

Tornquist said he was thankful for Nintendo for "proving that 'next-gen' doesn't have to be just 'this-gen' with more polygons and prettier textures, and for having the guts to try something truly revolutionary with the Revolution." He continued by saying, "I'm looking forward to the 360 and the PS3 as much as anyone, but I have to admit to a certain degree of 'generation fatigue' before the next one's even started."

"Seeing the Revolution remote changed all of that, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it," Tornquist said. "Even if it ends up being a Nintendo-only supported gimmick, it's well worth it. Waving my hand around to make Mario run? I'm so there."

harmonix.jpg

Rob Kay
Lead Designer at Harmonix, 'Guitar Hero,' 'Antigrav'

"Nintendo invented the modern joypad, so it's only right that they say it's time for a change, and have the confidence to go for it with Revolution. The move away from the standard joypad configuration, and towards a true 3D controller, is both staggering and welcome.

Ultimately the Revolution presents an incredibly exciting new space for the games industry to explore, and as such it's a breath of fresh air. I agree with Nintendo that we need to make games more inviting to non-gamers, and keep the current gamers engaged by offering new experiences they haven't encountered before."

koei.jpg

Kou Shibusawa
Producer at Koei

"It seems to be going in a different direction from the other two consoles, and it's trying to develop its own unique market. Being able to play old games from the Famicom era should be enticing to the gaming generation, and as a creator, I look forward to playing my games that I have a special fondness for. Aside from having good graphics, the Revolution's uniqueness and concentration towards gameplay should make it a product that's good towards all ages."

[updated Dec 28]
Yoshiki Sugiyama
Producer at Koei, 'Dynasty Warriors'

When asked about the Revolution, PS3 and Xbox 360, he states that Koei will be fully supporting all platforms, although he adds that he hopes to make Revolution games. The game that left the greatest impression with Sugiyama was Nintendo's Train Your Brain (Nou wo Kitaeru). The event or happening that left the greatest impression with him was Nintendo's Touch Generations, a lineup of titles that appeal to a new user group (the lineup includes Train Your Brain, Nintendogs and other successes).

codemasters.jpg

[updated Dec 18]
Rod Cousens
CEO of Codemasters

"The Revolution controller is very intuitive and immersive and should allow the character to become more of an extension of the player... it should also inspire creators to explore innovation and bring back bored consumers to gaming."

bvg.jpg

[updated Dec 18]
Michael Ryder
VP of Worldwide Production at Buena Vista Games

"The Revolution controller is truly innovative and will enable game designers to take advantage of gamers' full range of hand motions. Much as we've seen with the Nintendo DS, the Revolution control interface with lead to gameplay innovations."

eidos.jpg

[updated Dec 18]
Bill Gardner
President/CEO at Eidos

I can certainly see lots of opportunities for classic-style games like platformers that new and old gamers will really enjoy. We've thought of several titles that we're planning that will fit in well. Any game that has the flow of motion in three dimensions will benefit with Revolution. Flying games will be wild and more fun than ever."

sony.jpg

[updated Dec 19]
David Jaffe
Game Director at SCE Studios Santa Monica

"I like it, can't wait to play with it... worried -- as a player -- it could be a novelty that gets old... but Nintendo is not dumb and they must know the whole 'novelty burnout' is a risk so they are probably doing all they can to make sure that doesn't happen... I think it's a great idea...."

red.jpg

[updated Dec 28]
Hiroi Ouji
President of Red Entertainment

When asked about PS3, Xbox 360 and Revolution, he goes on and on about how interested he is in the Nintendo hardware -- specifically, the controller.

/end of quotes

Okay. I'm done.

This thread should be stickied so we can have one and final thread for revolution speculation, I mean, I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but geez...

WindyMan

Two things:

You'd better update this thread regularly when a quote comes out.

Re-arrange the quotes so that all of the quotes out of a studio are under the same picture. That is, have all the quotes from Square-Enix under one Square-Enix banner.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Atsuhi Taniguchi
producer at From Software, ´Tenchu´
He states that he would want to use the expansion pack shown at the press conference (the analogue pad expansion, which Nintendo expects to include with the remote right out of the box) and make a first person title.

KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD KING's FIELD

... aren't you all sick of me saying that all the time?
Anyway, Mr. Taniguchi, start talking to other From people, and make this happen, please kind sir.

Just because I took the time to present this information properly and all in one place doesn't mean it took a lot of effort.

I was bored, and didn't feel like starting a paper that I have to write. Instead, you get this wonderful thread.

Monk

Banned
HAHAHAHA, sounds like the kind of shit i would do. Important exam coming up, what do you do? Write on a videogame forum about games and shit. :p

Glass Joe

I'm excited about the Revolution, but there's still a lot of "what if's" screaming out of my pessimistic style. For one, it sounds like it could make gaming MORE complicated, which is the opposite of their intention.

Example 1: A parent goes out to by a multi-console release like Splinter Cell 5, or whatever, for Revo. Will it have full game support with only the remote, or will a special attachment or classic shell be required? I'm guessing and hoping that Nintendo is including the classic shell with the system, to avoid that hurdle of complicating the consumer side of this.

Example 2: A parent/gamer decides to pop in and play Splinter Cell 5 for Revo. Does it only use the wand, or the wand with analog, or the shell, or would all three be possible? Will each configuration be supported? Suddenly instead of just learning the controller, you have to learn *which* controller to use. And if all methods are supported, it's an additional hassle to figure out which is the superior control scheme. Sure, they could put a logo on the box to show you the preferred method, but that just made gaming more complicated.

I'm a little concerned as a gamer that there will be too many other "options" that distract from simply playing a game like we do today. Say Nintendo Baseball comes out and it's made for the wand...

Will you have to control the game by swinging the wand like a bat in the promo video? Sounds fun, but possibly tiring. Will there be an alternate set-up to only use quick little wrist turns? Choosing is more complicated than we have it today. And if the classic shell is supported with an option to hit a button to swing the bat, timing wise, that might make the fun idea of the wand worthless when you play the game competitively. One game, three ways to play, and all three could have drastic results in game performance.

So many variables, sigh, and I'm sorry if I didn't make my concerns as clear as I meant to, as it's getting late and my writing skills are suffering. Hopefully you all get the jist and have some insight!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Lorne Lanning
President/Creative Director, Oddworld Inhabitants

“An interesting innovation for the “small handed” segment of the market. Hopefully a larger version will be available for the larger hand endowed audience that is likely to be more carpal tunnel prone.”
eh? what an odd comment to make.

look, let's all just put an end to this, and agree that the controller is a dumb gimmick. the faster we agree on this, the faster Nintendo will become a third party :lol

"This is exactly what I was looking for."
- Kojima

god damn that's exciting.

what punk, you heard me. this is GAF, we ain't give no fucks about what the developers think. most of us already came to the conclusion that it's a useless gimmick regardless of what they say.

phantomile co. said:
what punk, you heard me. this is GAF, we ain't give no fucks about what the developers think. most of us already came to the conclusion that it's a useless gimmick regardless of what they say.
what

Pellham

Banned
the sad part of this compilation is that i doubt half of the developers listed are even going to get a chance to make revolution games. (looking at mist walker, from software, etc. here)

what im trying to say is, all these developers are flat out wrong. what do they know? c'mon, get with it already man.

where's Drinky and that other dude when you need them.

clearacell said:
Is anyone even making games for that anymore?

Hey now! I saw a gizmondo kiosk in the dallas galleria.. they were playing there DS's while waiting for people to come ask them questions

phantomile:

what

Flo_Evans

phantomile co. said:
what im trying to say is, all these developers are flat out wrong. what do they know? c'mon, get with it already man.

I could make a similar thread about all the good things developers said about the eyetoy.

Talk is cheap, announce some games then maybe I will get excited.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Scrow said:
eh? what an odd comment to make.

Replace the word "hand" with "penis" and Lanning's meaning will become clear.
“An interesting innovation for the “small penis” segment of the market. Hopefully a larger version will be available for the larger penis endowed audience that is likely to be more carpal tunnel prone.”

:lol makes sense too.

Flo_Evans said:
I could make a similar thread about all the good things developers said about the eyetoy.

Talk is cheap, announce some games then maybe I will get excited.

Take that back! Eyetoy is the most ingenious accessory this generation! I mean.. COME ON!! Kinetic..!!! Eye Toy: Operation Spy!!! AND Play 1 & 2.. Holy crap gaming bliss!

/sarcasm

Flo_Evans said:
damn shame that thing never took off too. the big difference here though, is that one is an add-on, and one is standard.

anyways, you forgot what Molyneux said about the controller...
G4: Now Peter, I wanna start off with breaking news. The Nintendo Revolution controller. That was unveiled last week. A few weeks ago, you had this quote about never underestimate Nintendo. So I assume you got to see it ahead of time right?

PM: I mean... :stutters: you know, I've heard rumors about it for a little while, and I can tell you it's a great great product, and that's exactly what I meant by never underestimate Nintendo. You know, this is a Revolution. It's what they, you know, it's not the hardware of the machine, it's not the speed of the machine, it's the fact that that device will enable games to be made unlike no other have ever been.

G4: So you already thinking of ideas? You think you're gonna do a game for it?

PM: Well, I mean, you know, absolutely. It, it's so exciting to actually, for the first time, feel that you can move something in a 3D space. I mean, you gotta remember Jeff, that, the controllers that we're currently using on the other consoles, really have their origin in platform games. They have no sympathy for moving around in a you know, a 3D world, and that's what makes Revolution so exciting. Yeah, I would love to be doing something for it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
PezRadar said:
phantomile:

what

:lol

Thanks for putting this up, Gaia. It's nice to have a resource where we can check up for quick reference.

Also, guys. I have no doubt that the major developers, Capcom, Namco, Squeenix, etc. will make at least ONE title that utilizes the Rev. in some way. So don't worry.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What the hell is this stupidity going on in this great thread? This is a fantastic resource of commentary on Revolution, better than I've seen in any media.

Flo_Evans

PezRadar said:
Take that back! Eyetoy is the most ingenious accessory this generation! I mean.. COME ON!! Kinetic..!!! Eye Toy: Operation Spy!!! AND Play 1 & 2.. Holy crap gaming bliss!

/sarcasm

I think you missed the point. Here it is, because you seem slow: When the eyetoy was 1st revealed a shit ton of developers talked a big game about how they where all going to make games for it and had all these great ideas.... that never happened.

True it was an add-on, but it came with a game for $50. The original dual-shock was also an add-on controller if you remember - that sold extremly well. The reason being that there where games to support it, and it vastly improved on the original PS1 pad.

So far for the revmote we have alot of talk, a few odd tech demos - and zero games. Wake me up when someone actually DOES something for it.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Oh they're doing stuff with it, problem is of course that they're no doubt being embargoed by Nintendo and can't reveal anything until E3.

So, its a 165 day wait now

Porridge

wow, promising. I hadn't read a lot of those comments, thanks for compiling them. I also enjoyed the inclusion of company logos -- nice touch

Cosmozone

Don't understand the negativeness here. It's a great collection. :)
Hope the first post is constantly updated. Only thing is that a website is suited better for this kind of things.

stone128

Yoshiki Okamoto
president of Game Republic, creator of ´Street Fighter´ series
He believes that the controller has such appeal that even people who lack imagination light up with wonder at what can be done with the device. He admits to having just a few ideas himself, including an action RPG and a horror game so scary that it almost makes you throw your controller.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Excellent post btw

Grug

In these turbulent gaming times, its good that some things remain constant.

Case in point, Dave Perry... after all this time, he's still a complete wanker.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Did you get this guy?

Funcom Director Praises Nintendo Revolution
by Shawn White (11/25/05)

In a recent GameSpot editorial, Funcom Director Ragnar Tornquist expressed his interest in Nintendo's next-generation console, code-named Revolution.

Tornquist said he was thankful for Nintendo for "proving that 'next-gen' doesn't have to be just 'this-gen' with more polygons and prettier textures, and for having the guts to try something truly revolutionary with the Revolution." He continued by saying, "I'm looking forward to the 360 and the PS3 as much as anyone, but I have to admit to a certain degree of 'generation fatigue' before the next one's even started."

"Seeing the Revolution remote changed all of that, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it," Tornquist said. "Even if it ends up being a Nintendo-only supported gimmick, it's well worth it. Waving my hand around to make Mario run? I'm so there."

Funcom specializes in the action-adventure and massively multiplayer online (MMO) genres. Notable titles include Anarchy Online and The Longest Journey

I'm somewhat baffled by CliffyB's vague comments. He doesn't really make it clear whether he likes it or not. I mean, UT2007 looks like it would be PERFECT for the controller.

koam

The new GAF logo is the ugliest thing I've ever seen (oh and R.I.P Sam the ugly dog). The GAF logo thread had so many good entries and they chose THAT?

Now back on topic, this is awesome for Nintendo. Developers have good feelings about the system and seem genuinely impressed, however, I'm expecting most of them to experiment for a while before releasing anything or taking the "wait and see" approach. The revolution is really a make or break console. If done properly, this can easily become the iPOD of consoles. If Nintendo delays everything, show promising demos and never come through, don't push to get key 3rd parties on board and don't make the console powerful enough for it to look good in screenshots, and most importantly, does not have a solid 1st year lineup then Nintendo will fall deep into 3rd place.

Akia

Goreomedy said:
Why would it be funny?

It'll be funny seeing who actually follows through with their statements. If you really think that the controller is so great why don't you develop for it. We already know Kojima is making a game. He talked the talk and he is following through with his own title.

Top Bottom