• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official 'What Developers Have to Say about the Revolution' Thread

so Revolution games will make people even more fat and lazy?

Christ... you don't even have to sit up and use two hands anymore! When will they make toilets like this?

Gattsu25

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I'm somewhat baffled by CliffyB's vague comments. He doesn't really make it clear whether he likes it or not. I mean, UT2007 looks like it would be PERFECT for the controller.
It would need many more buttons, actually

unless...

I've update the list with new quotes from EA, Valve and Nolan Bushnell.

I'm excited for MTVs Revolution developer interviews that are being posted tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be adding lots of new faces!

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
This is great and all, but they all sound like robots repeating the same junk. I mean, honestly, most of these people were probably saying the same thing when the DS was announced (not an entirely fair comparison, but hopefully you see my point). 90% of the companies listed aren't about innovation, they aren't about welcoming new technologies... they're about selling that 5th sequel to a franchise and turning profit. 'Innovation' rarely means profit and until Nintendo can expand their market, they aren't going to land all of these developers for anything more than a one-off project to test the market.

sefskillz said:
This is great and all, but they all sound like robots repeating the same junk. I mean, honestly, most of these people were probably saying the same thing when the DS was announced (not an entirely fair comparison, but hopefully you see my point). 90% of the companies listed aren't about innovation, they aren't about welcoming new technologies... they're about selling that 5th sequel to a franchise and turning profit. 'Innovation' rarely means profit and until Nintendo can expand their market, they aren't going to land all of these developers for anything more than a one-off project to test the market.
When real news about software is not forthcoming, this is about as good as it gets.

The important thing, is that developers are excited, just like the DS. Yes, many companies are having a hard time delivering good and innovative software on the DS. But success doesn't happen overnight. They are having to experiment with new ideas, some will be good and some will be bad.

If Nintendo scores, like you said, one-off projects from all of these companies to test the market, I think the market is going to be there in a big way.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
the androgyne said:
I think its encouraging what lorne lanning and dave perry have to say about the controller!

Read into that as you will :)
Because those guys are always wrong?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
the androgyne said:
I think its encouraging what lorne lanning and dave perry have to say about the controller!

Read into that as you will :)

If these guys are saying negative things about the Rev, the Rev will be a flawless victory.

What would be great for Kojima to do on the Rev (besides new stuff) would be a remake of Snatcher, and possibly Policenauts. The controller would be perfect for the gun shooting parts. I then won't need my Sega CD and blue gun controller anymore. :) I hope that's what Kojima was talking about when he said that it's what he was waiting for.

DenogginizerOS

I think a Harry Potter game would be wicked with the rev controller.

"It's levi-oh-sah!!!!!"

011026_potter4_hor.jpg

Yada, yada, yada...

Developers said a lot of GREAT things about GC's controller, as well, and the GC isn't exactly the land of milk and honey as far as accumulating an abundance of third-party attention or support. They're like women: say one thing, behave in the total opposite direction.

Developers said a lot of GREAT things about GC's controller, as well
They said a lot of great things yeah, but not a lot of new things like they're saying now. Who seriously expected the GCN controller, which button for button is virtually the same as any other controller of this gen, to give us new style games?

I think a Harry Potter game would be wicked with the rev controller.
I'm sure you can trust EA to regurgitate a harry potter game with wand swinging - god, kids will totally eat that up - undeniably don't you think?

DenogginizerOS

the androgyne said:
I'm sure you can trust EA to regurgitate a harry potter game with wand swinging - god, kids will totally eat that up - undeniably don't you think?

Yupo. Like Pam Anderson gobbling Tommy Lee's junk.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
NintendosBooger said:
Yada, yada, yada...

Developers said a lot of GREAT things about GC's controller, as well, and the GC isn't exactly the land of milk and honey as far as accumulating an abundance of third-party attention or support. They're like women: say one thing, behave in the total opposite direction.

EDIT

Ya'll just don't know.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Gaia Theory said:
Many new quotes added.

Hey Gaia going forward, can you like bold or asterick new quotes so we can keep track in some manner which ones are new?

Unless you already indicate this and I missed it?

Thanks

John Harker said:
Hey Gaia going forward, can you like bold or asterick new quotes so we can keep track in some manner which ones are new?

Unless you already indicate this and I missed it?

Thanks
New Quotes and new company entries have been marked as 'updated' now.

masud said:
Allot more impressions in the new NP. Someone typed them up on the ign boards.Here.
I'm pretty sure I've added them, I got a bunch of quotes from Revolution Report, and I believe they said they were from the new NP. ^_^

Polari

You forgot David Jaffe:

"I like it, can't wait to play with it... worried -- as a player -- it could be a novelty that gets old... but Nintendo is not dumb and they must know the whole 'novelty burnout' is a risk so they are prob. doing all they can to make sure that doesn't happen... I think it's a great idea...."

I also seem to recall him saying something about wanting to develop for it but that it wasn't likely since he works for Sony. Anyone got that quote?

Oblivion said:
Can you copy/paste what they said, please? I can't view it. :(
It was just copied from Revolution Report. Here:

In the latest issue of Nintendo Power magazine (February 2006), developers and publishers from around the globe offered their insight and comments concerning the Revolution's controller and creating games for Nintendo's next-generation console.

John Schapper
Senior VP/Group Studio General Manager, Electronic Arts Canada
"As a longtime Nintendo fan, I applaud the spirit of innovation and creativity of the Revolution controller. Being wireless and designed similarly to a TV controller, it's an innovative, ergonomic winner right out of the box. The beauty of the controller is that possibilities for new game ideas are limitless... You can build an entire game concept around the controller's features or find ways to intregrate them into existing franchises. Right now at EA, we're exploring both of these paths. Our developers are inspired and excited by the new controller's features."

Steve Pearce
VP of Technology, Activision
"Anyone present at Iwata-san's unveiling of the controller at TGS has imagined what future visions of Nintendo classics will be like. Envisioning Link's spin attack, Mario's triple jump and Samus' gunplay on Revolution is an intriguing exercise. Similarly, the Activision design teams are creatively charged as they determine how the controller can best be used on our titles. How will Spider-Man's Revolution webs be cast, Tony Hawk's deck be flipped and Call of Duty grenades be thrown?"

Rod Cousens
CEO, Codemasters
"The Revolution controller is very intuitive and immersive and should allow the character to become more of an extension of the player... it should also inspire creators to explore innovation and bring back bored consumers to gaming."

Jack Sorenson,
Excecutive VP, Worldwide Studios, THQ
"Think about how many players you know that move controllers upward when pressing the jump button or turn it while steering in a racing game. With Revolution, these movements can be made to affect gameplay. Any genre that's suffered from traditional controller limitations stands to initially benefit the most, particularly ones with too many complex button combinations. Also, mouse-oriented PC genres (RTS, adventure games) could become much more console-friendly with the Revolution controller."

Bill Petro
Senior VP of Product Development, Sega of America
"Role-playing games will be greatly enhanced, due to new control styles. Pointing will make moving in large environments very simple, and twist- and position-senging will allow for dual weapon wielding or gesture-based spell-casting."

Michael Ryder
VP of Worldwide Production, Buena Vista Games"
The Revolution controller is truly innovative and will enable game designers to take advantage of gamers' full range of hand motions. Much as we've seen with the Nintendo DS, the Revolution control interface with lead to gameplay innovations."

Noah Hughes
Director of Design, Crystal Dynamics
"In the landscape of primarily linear evolution, it is refresing to see a product like the Revolution that truly strives to redefine game design. As a game designer, I am always excited to see products...which open the door to so many new possibilities."

Jean-Marcel Nicolai
Senior VP of Worldwide Content, Atari
"Nintendo has created an innovative new controller, fully immersing the gamer with a revolutionary interface. The controller should expand the marketplace by appealing to the mass audience as well as avid gamers. And the development community will have as much fun exploring the power of the Revolution controller as consumers will playing it."

Nicolas Eypert
Creative Director, Ubisoft
"The Revolution controller breaks the 'push button' experience of other platforms, where the player must go through an abstract action--pushing a button--to complete an action. With the Revolution, the action is completely natural and physical. We can propose new types of interactions that are easy and fun, as they rely on a simple gesture. We can translate into video game interactions all the tools you manipulate with your hand: the sculptor's tool, the doctor's scalpel, the fireman's hose...imagine you are a doctor curing patients or an architect who builds his own house! It opens up so many possibilities that we already have too many ideas. All the designers that I've spoken with at Ubisoft are buzzing with amazing ideas."

Bill Gardner
President/CEO Eidos
I can certainly see lots of opportunities for classic-style games like platformers that new and old gamers will really enjoy. We've thought of several titles that we're planning that will fit in well. Any game that has the flow of motion in three dimensions will benefit with Revolution. Flying games will be wild and more fun than ever."

Toshihiro Nagoshi,
Producer of Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero GX/AX, Sega
"I was just as surprised by the look of the controller as I was by playing with it. I was really struck by Nintendo's bold direction. All game creators will be inspired by seeing it in motion."

Koichi Ishii
Producer of the World of Mana project, Square Enix"It'd be a shame if developers only transferred existing games to this system. They've got to envision a more creative route then buckle up for a wild ride."

All of the quotes from Revolution Report on NP are already included. Also, I will add Jaffe, but which specific developer does he work for? I know Sony publishes, but what is the name of the developer (for logo sake)?

Kroole

Gaia Theory said:
All of the quotes from Revolution Report on NP are already included. Also, I will add Jaffe, but which specific developer does he work for? I know Sony publishes, but what is the name of the developer (for logo sake)?

SCE Studios Santa Monica

Kroole said:
SCE Studios Santa Monica
Cool, thanks!

It's now updated, with the quote from Jaffe, along with a Sony logo... kinda weird to see that in this thread... wonder how long before someone demands that I remove the logo association... probably not long.. I think I here a knock on my door.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Steve Pearce
VP of Technology, Activision
"Anyone present at Iwata-san's unveiling of the controller at TGS has imagined what future visions of Nintendo classics will be like. Envisioning Link's spin attack, Mario's triple jump and Samus' gunplay on Revolution is an intriguing exercise. Similarly, the Activision design teams are creatively charged as they determine how the controller can best be used on our titles. How will Spider-Man's Revolution webs be cast, Tony Hawk's deck be flipped and Call of Duty grenades be thrown...

the part Nintendo didn't print

... however, despite these efforts, you can rest assured that we'll deliver a bunch of barebones ports from other platforms, poorly utilizing any unique features of the platform.

GDGF

Soothsayer
NintendosBooger said:
Yada, yada, yada...

Developers said a lot of GREAT things about GC's controller, as well...

They did?

I don't remember many developers of note ever waxing fanbotic for the GC controller like they have been for the Revcon. The last time a nintendo controller got anywhere near this attention or praise was with the N64 (and still, that was only for the analog stick)

koam

From PS3.ign.com

Yoshiki Sugiyama -- Koei, Dynasty Warriors Producer
When asked about the Revolution, PS3 and Xbox 360, he states that Koei will be fully supporting all platforms, although he adds that he hopes to make Revolution games. The game that left the greatest impression with Sugiyama was Nintendo's Train Your Brain (Nou wo Kitaeru). The event or happening that left the greatest impression with him was Nintendo's Touch Generations, a lineup of titles that appeal to a new user group (the lineup includes Train Your Brain, Nintendogs and other successes).

Hideo Kojima -- Konami, Metal Gear Solid Producer
He does admit to wanting to make games for all three next generation platforms, though, giving the nod in particular to Revolution as a platform that, as a designer, it would be "foolish" for him to pass up on. With Revolution, he adds, he'd like to make strives in areas other than graphics and sound, a change for him, as he believes he's known as someone who pursues realistic visuals owing to his love of movies.

Yu Suzuki -- Sega AM Plus Manager
Asked about the PS3, Revolution and Xbox 360, he refers to Xbox 360 as being PC-like, Revolution as being toy-like and PS3 as being like a super home appliance.

Hiroi Ouji -- Red Company President
When asked about PS3, Xbox 360 and Revolution, he goes on and on about how interested he is in the Nintendo hardware -- specifically, the controller.

Thanks Koam, I will update when I have more time.

edit: Updates have been made.

sidenote: Geezus! Developers have had A LOT to say about Revolution... *_*

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Soo... is the success of the DS going to convince managers and publishers to let these developers make games for the Rev?

It would be such a shame to let all these good quoets go to waste.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
koam said:
From PS3.ign.com

Yu Suzuki -- Sega AM Plus Manager
Asked about the PS3, Revolution and Xbox 360, he refers to Xbox 360 as being PC-like, Revolution as being toy-like and PS3 as being like a super home appliance.

OmG, Revolution teh kiddy

koam said:
From PS3.ign.com

Hiroi Ouji -- Red Company President
When asked about PS3, Xbox 360 and Revolution, he goes on and on about how interested he is in the Nintendo hardware -- specifically, the controller.

:lol

koam

Yeah he pretty much says that the Rev is kiddie. Funny because its the sleakest of of the three consoles. If you read the rest he has a hard-on for the ps3 and doesn't care much about either the rev or the 360.

And nice catch with the "on and on" :)

Donnie

I think you missed the point. Here it is, because you seem slow: When the eyetoy was 1st revealed a shit ton of developers talked a big game about how they where all going to make games for it and had all these great ideas.... that never happened.

What would you expect developers to say about a new peripheral being strongly pushed by Sony? A company who, at the time, had 70% of the total console userbase. Its quite different to be this enthusiastic about the controller of a console that hasn't even been released yet and is the succesor to the GC (not exactly a support or die console for third party developers..).

True it was an add-on, but it came with a game for $50. The original dual-shock was also an add-on controller if you remember - that sold extremly well. The reason being that there where games to support it, and it vastly improved on the original PS1 pad.

The reason the Dual Shock ended up gaining developer support was because after its release Sony packed it in with every PS1 they sold from then on. The only PS1 owners who actually had to buy a Dual Shock seperately were the ones who bought there PS1 in its first year on the market (very few people did that). Had Sony not packed the Dual Shock with every console you can bet that it would have gotten very little support.

Top Bottom