• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official 'What Developers Have to Say about the Revolution' Thread

Mihail

Banned
Slayven said:
When will we have a "What Devs have to show for the Rev." Thread?
It'll probably happen around the time devs have something to show for the Rev. Why even ask a question like that?

Slayven

monkeyrun said:
and you can play with screenshots and names !? ...
Can give me an idea of where they are going instead of hearing the same buzz words like "new ways", "interesting", or "lots of opportunities" over and over again. If the system is easy to design for surely they atleast show a few things. Wheres the beef?

Mr_Moogle

I'm getting a bit tired of all the talk too.

Its great that developers are excited about the Revolution but it doesn't mean shit if the publishers dont share that excitement.

Do we really have to wait till May for some software announcements?

mrkgoo

Not really on topic, but this thread sparked my memory:

On a recent international flight, where we had individual screens (with on demand entertainment so we could play, rewind, pause any movie at any time), they had those armchair controllers you could extend on a cord and rotate sideways for a game controller. Anyway, those controllers have the D-pad at one end, and they look remarkably like the rev-con (well, teh revcon looks like a remote by design). The funny thing was nearly every one I saw, who wasn't playing a game was waving and pointing it at their screen, despite it notactually being infrared (it's simply corded). Goes to show how ingrained and natural remote-behaviour is.

If the revcon really works well, it's going to be oh-so intuitive for non-gamers.

Gaia Theory said:
The Official 'What Developers Have to Say about the Revolution' Thread

[Disclaimer: Most of these quotes have not been edited, however, quotes taken from certain sources have been trimmed down to try and summarize their points.]

Disclaimer: Its cleary visible that these comments have been hand picked for positive comments only, not a single one really talks about the under powered hardware of the REV or anything negative, everything said is basically about the remote control looking gamepad..nothing more.

Seems edited by only picking out positive comments..hmm, figures

R0nn

GamingGuru said:
Disclaimer: Its cleary visible that these comments have been hand picked for positive comments only, not a single one really talks about the under powered hardware of the REV or anything negative, everything said is basically about the remote control looking gamepad..nothing more.

Please...stop...go and do something useful.

This is the third time in a row I see you trolling in a Nintendo related thread and it's constantly about the same ol' same ol'. If you don't have anything interesting to say, then please be on your merry way. We understand that you're dissapointed in Nintendo and cry over it every night before going to bed. It's clear! No go discuss games instead of this bs.

I mean, critizising Nintendo is perfectly fine. What world would it be if everyone would simply agree with everything a company does and swallow everything they throw at them? That's called blind devotion/fanboyism and I certainly don't want any part of that. But this constant nagging about the same old shit is getting real old, real quick. So please stop it if you can. It's no use. The Nbots wont listen to you anyway.

GDGF

Soothsayer
There's that, and also the fact that the vast majority of quotes from Developers range from optimistic to estatic. It's kinda hard to find anyone in the dev community that would actively go out of their way to hate on the Revmote, and people in the community seem to think it's powerful enough (or at least no one has really said any differently - at least on record, anyway)

yoopoo

Banned
GamingGuru said:

Find all those negative developer comments and post them here.

GamingGuru said:

Nice try. I mean, you can try and say what you want about me, but the point is, this thread contains fucking 'quotes.' Do know what that means?

For the record, I originally had the quotes organized into 3 categories:

1) Positive
2) Negative
3) Neutral

You can find all three types of responses in the quotes section of this thread. The overwhelming majority of developers say positive things, a handful say negative things, and a couple are fairly neutral.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Senior designer Erin Daly of Relic Entertainment was one of the few creative minds in attendance at the secret meeting, and described the controller as "very cool" upon first handling. "I have a lot of respect for Nintendo for the direction they're taking," he says, admiring Nintendo's unique approach. "Basically, Sony and Microsoft are all about more of the same, but faster/shinier/smoother, and Nintendo is taking a very different tact."

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3144666

Rumble Roses producer Akari Uchida already has some tricks up his sleeve, but frankly, we're slightly nervous to find out what his Revolution ideas would translate to in a videogame setting. "I would like to come up with play ideas involving the direct influencing of characters on the screen with that controller," he says. "I can think of a lot of naughty things if I were to do something with Rumble Roses."

Relic Entertainment senior designer Erin Daly is keen on taking advantage of Revolution's features. "Personally, it's always been a secret dream of mine to be able to make a game that my grandmother would want to play, something so broadly accessible you don't need to be a gamer, or even like games, to want to try it," he says. "I could see that being possible with the Revolution controller."

"The new controller sounds interesting, and worth a try for sure. However, we have seen 'new' controller paradigms come and go in the past decade, for both consoles and PCs," says Richard "Levelord" Grey, level designer at SiN Episodes creator Ritual Entertainment. "Even when they are better, getting the gamer to make the change from such a well-grounded standard is not an easy thing to do."

"This will be a challenge to develop for, and doesn't allow easy cross-platform development," said design director Tom Smith of High Voltage Software to Gamasutra. However, Smith notes that "they won't get a ton of games, but Nintendo likes to thrive on a few good first-party games."

"When Nintendo created the gamepad it was adopted as the norm; when they created the analog stick it was adopted as the norm; when they created rumble it was adopted as the norm," said Alex Neuse of Activision to Gamasutra. "Their track record is strong. I hope that this new controller allows developers to offer gamers new and unique ways to interface with the medium."

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=4&cId=3144666

Link

The Autumn Wind
GDGF said:
There's that, and also the fact that the vast majority of quotes from Developers range from optimistic to estatic. It's kinda hard to find anyone in the dev community that would actively go out of their way to hate on the Revmote, and people in the community seem to think it's powerful enough (or at least no one has really said any differently - at least on record, anyway)
Didn't Dave Perry trash it a while back?

GamingGuru said:

Read'em all before Talking trash:

David Perry said:
David Perry
President, Shiny Entertainment
“After toying around with this Revolution remote control, and after fighting my grandparents off it, my prediction is that people will be looking to buy a "normal" controller to plug in.

So thanks Nintendo for trying. I actually respect the effort a lot! Oh well, just five more years and we can try again.”

Ed boon also trashed it, but that's understandable cause Mortal kombat strives on dial up combos and that controller isn't the best solution for that type of Gameplay.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Link said:
Didn't Dave Perry trash it a while back?

Yep, but I think that quote was already on the first page of this thread. That wasn't enough angst for the GamingGuru, apparently :lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
David Perry said:
David Perry
President, Shiny Entertainment

“After toying around with this Revolution remote control, and after fighting my grandparents off it, my prediction is that people will be looking to buy a "normal" controller to plug in.

So thanks Nintendo for trying. I actually respect the effort a lot! Oh well, just five more years and we can try again.”

I don't quite understand his reasoning. So he had to fight his grandparents off a videogame controller and he still thinks it sucks and people will want to play with the traditional pads? I can't even get my parents to pick up the old NES pads anymore (they used to play NES when it first came out and my father bought the original Pong and Game&Watch back in the day).

I hope that Revolution takes off like crazy in Japan, has a solid performance everywhere else, and the interface becomes the standard...just so that David Perry can have this facetious comment repeated rammed up his ass for the remainder of his career.

GDGF

Soothsayer
MrSardonic said:
I hope that Revolution takes off like crazy in Japan, has a solid performance everywhere else, and the interface becomes the standard...just so that David Perry can have this facetious comment repeated rammed up his ass for the remainder of his career.

When it does, Working Designs will have company in Shiny.

Ulairi

Banned
MrSardonic said:
I don't quite understand his reasoning. So he had to fight his grandparents off a videogame controller and he still thinks it sucks and people will want to play with the traditional pads? I can't even get my parents to pick up the old NES pads anymore (they used to play NES when it first came out and my father bought the original Pong and Game&Watch back in the day).

His point was that the industry isn't ready for it.

dode

Mr_Moogle said:
I'm getting a bit tired of all the talk too.

Its great that developers are excited about the Revolution but it doesn't mean shit if the publishers dont share that excitement.

Do we really have to wait till May for some software announcements?

I don't think so, but all I can tell you is that there will be some major Revolution revelations this month.

GDGF

Soothsayer
dode said:
I don't think so, but all I can tell you is that there will be some major Revolution revelations this month.

I have no idea who you are, but somehow I believe you.

(I think we'll be getting the final name very soon at the very least)

Vashu

Ulairi said:

Or maybe he is just not creative enough, seeing that a lot of designers/developers already came up with fun ideas. The industry is ready, the gamers (and probably non-gamers) are too, but it just has to come out and from there on we'll see what's gonna happen.

R0nn

Ulairi said:

He'd better go out of his way for once and make some great and compelling games with a lot of innovation like he used to do with Shiny, instead of milking the Matrix franchise with uninspirational and broken titles. One would tend to take him somewhat more serious then. Especially seeing the stupid alternative he came up with. What was it again? One controller using different templates for buttons or something? That just sounds plain stupid. Imagine having to buy a template for every frikkin' game you buy and constantly having to adapt to it. In short, he doesn't sound very convincing to me at all.

Who are you? Please state who you are cause you're scaring me. :(

Thraktor

Vashu said:
Or maybe he is just not creative enough, seeing that a lot of designers/developers already came up with fun ideas. The industry is ready, the gamers (and probably non-gamers) are too, but it just has to come out and from there on we'll see what's gonna happen.

For the most part I would agree with anyone who insults Perry's game designing abilities (I lost all respect for the man after The Matrix), but his belief that the industry isn't ready is a valid one. The Revolution is a big question mark in terms of whether it will change, expand or just plain not be accepted by the videogame market, and while Mr. Perry's comment may have been a bit poorly put, if, as I can only assume, he is talking about the average consumer's reaction to the controller, then for all we know, he may end up being right.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I didn't see him claim the industry wasn't ready - he thought, after playing with Revmote, that people will want to plug a "normal" controller in instead. He then essentially dismissed the Revmote entirely and said he'll wait 5 years for someone to try and successfully innovate.

Thraktor

MrSardonic said:
I didn't see him claim the industry wasn't ready - he thought, after playing with Revmote, that people will want to plug a "normal" controller in instead. He then essentially dismissed the Revmote entirely and said he'll wait 5 years for someone to try and successfully innovate.

Well, we can at least agree that his comment was poorly worded, whatever he was trying to say.

Ironacally, do you know who's been shockingly quiet about his ideas about the revolution?

...Miyamoto.

Usually, he can barely keep his mouth shut spouting off ideas about a trilogy of gardening games and whatnot.

If anything, I can't wait to see what he has in store for us.

civilstrife said:
Ironacally, do you know who's been shockingly quiet about his ideas about the revolution?

...Miyamoto.

Usually, he can barely keep his mouth shut spouting off ideas about a trilogy of gardening games and whatnot.

If anything, I can't wait to see what he has in store for us.

That's the problem. He was extremely excited over the DS and its capibilities...but we still have yet to see a straight up Miyamoto title for that system. Same with FPS on the DS. We heard they would be amazing on the DS, yet outside of Hunters (which isn't out yet) no good FPS have come out. The exact same things are being said about the Revolution, and it concerns me. Is this all just talk, like with the DS? I mean, has anyone asked Miyamoto if he is working on his own DS game..? -_-

Please don't bring up Nintendogs as refutation. PLEASE. :lol

Vashu

Well, we all know how Miyamoto is. Too much has he seen that his ideas have been 'stolen' so no wonder we haven't heard anything from him. Heck, if I were in his shoes I would've done the same thing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I love Shiggy and all, but he also thought that people were gonna steal the waterpack from SMS, so I just hope whatever he has planned this time is actually WORTH stealing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo wants to take the world by storm at E3. We won't learn much until then.

Revolution revelation in May 2006 will be the most incredible moment in GAF history. Nobody realizes yet the shockwave it will create.

GDGF

Soothsayer
4wtonk1sy.jpg

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
PhoenixDark said:
That's the problem. He was extremely excited over the DS and its capibilities...but we still have yet to see a straight up Miyamoto title for that system. Same with FPS on the DS. We heard they would be amazing on the DS, yet outside of Hunters (which isn't out yet) no good FPS have come out. The exact same things are being said about the Revolution, and it concerns me. Is this all just talk, like with the DS? I mean, has anyone asked Miyamoto if he is working on his own DS game..? -_-

What about Nintendogs?
confused.gif

Xrenity

On his blog, Scott Miller, CEO of 3D Realms (and founder of ´Apogee´, who financed ´id Software´), writes:

Many people have asked me to comment about the next-gen consoles, and frankly I have nothing enlightened to say. I've yet to touch the controller of any of them. I can't find a X360 to buy in stores, and we have yet to get a development machine sent from Microsoft even though Prey (3D Realm´s new game, developed by Human Head Studios) is being developed for their system.

My prediction for this new round of consoles is that the X360 and PS3 will wind up about equal in terms of sales, with Nintendo's Revolution coming in a distant third--perhaps this will be the last console from this company. The X360 gains ground on the PS3 this cycle by virtue of two points: [1] Xbox Live! rocks (from what I've heard -- again, no first-hand experience). [2] The X360 has a big head start over the PS3. Finally, I cannot comment on the Revolution's controller until I try one.

There are a number of comments left already that seek to clarify why Miller´s outlook is so gloomy. He answers:

I think that Nintendo shot their own foot off with the Gamecube, which was positioned too much as a children's system. (...) I have little faith in Nintendo's management to right their ship. They need to establish a compelling image for the Revolution, and rise above the kiddie image they currently have. Mario is cool and all, but it doesn't win the older audience like GTA and Halo.
At least John Romero (co-founder of ´id Software´) made optimistic statements regarding Nintendo´s future already a year ago:

Expect a ton of graphics of high quality. I don't see any revolutions in game design on the XBOX2 and PS3, but we'll see something interesting on the Nintendo Revolution and the Nintendo DS is already doing some cool stuff with the dual screens. I truly respect Nintendo's forward thinking.
Not trying to get anyone´s hopes up. But, incidentally, Romero added in an article on Eurogamer : "When news of my new game somehow gets out, I think everyone will be a bit shocked."
http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
In an interview with Jeux-France, Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team producer Takeshi Horinouchi and director Tsukasa Takenaka were asked about the Revolution.

Mr. Horinouchi said, "I indeed had the chance to quickly test Revolution, and I must say that it is interesting to note the evolution in this field. The perception of the video game is completely new. Concerning Megaman, we do not know yet what the future holds for us, but I would very much like to use the concept of Nintendo Revolution to see what a Megaman game could be on this console."

What is in store for Mega Man on the Revolution? Stay tuned to Atomic Fire for more details as they come!

You can read the full interview (in French)

http://www.atomic-fire.com/

41131020060206_141035_0_big.jpg

wtf? :lol

Top Bottom