• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing! The NeoGAF Megathread Zone!

Willy105 said:
Wii games are always $10 cheaper than the HD games. Imaginary HD tax.

it's not imaginary, the development time/complexity/resources to create HD games means they cost more to produce.

edit: not to derail. I'm actually really pumped about a decent Kart game for the PS360!!

Can someone please let me know what the killer soundFX is, i.e., YAHOOO!

the PS3 framerate seems fine to me, its not solid but its not bad, and is perfectly playable in 2p, I havent been able to try 4p yet though. The demo also has a different track to the 360 version, its a Billy Hatcher one.

KurowaSan

wind_steaker said:
the PS3 framerate seems fine to me, its not solid but its not bad, and is perfectly playable in 2p, I havent been able to try 4p yet though. The demo also has a different track to the 360 version, its a Billy Hatcher one.

Yeah, it seems fine but... BUT every now and then, when the screen is not too busy, it goes beyond 30fps. It happens in a few places almost every lap.
I'm quite certain it's also missing the blur filter when boosting the 360 version has.

Katana_Strikes said:
Is the PS3 demo online multi?

no

J@hranimo

Banned
crazy monkey said:
why did he got banned? He was cool dude. :(

Well...let's just say he made his point in the Sonic 4 thread in a fashion that the mods were annoyed at.

But yeah he didn't seem that crazy as some people say, he was just passionate about the Sonic series. RIP indeed.

Can anyone tell me how large the PS3 demo weighs in at? I need to calculate if I'll have enough time to start the download tonight or if it'll have to wait for the weekend.

Peff

Azure Phoenix said:
Can anyone tell me how large the PS3 demo weighs in at? I need to calculate if I'll have enough time to start the download tonight or if it'll have to wait for the weekend.

Around 830 MB.

TimmiT

Azure Phoenix said:
It's somewhere between 800 and 900 MB.

E: beaten.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Platy said:
My impressions of the demo :

1-Biggest Mario kart imitator ever .... awesome for 360/ps3 users .... sux for wii users =P

2- Banjo has more SPEED than .... SONIC ?????????????????????????? *explodes*

Basicaly .... probably getting the ds version ....someday =P

I don't understand how this 'sux for wii users'. Now they get to have two great cart racing games. Oh no.

Why would you pick up the DS version, considering the very mediocre reviews?

Hurry up next week! I wanna get my drive on with some SEGA characters! I think I may have mentioned it before, but the draft/dash mechanic really reminded me of Kirby's Air Ride. Good fun.

ElFly

anonymousAversa said:
it's not imaginary, the development time/complexity/resources to create HD games means they cost more to produce.

How many more polys do the extra $10 buy?

How about PC versions of games that you can run on higher resolutions / detail / etc. and that costs normally $10 or $20 less than the equivalent console game? What did the extra ten bucks buy you?

Protip: videogame production costs are fixed once the game goes to print.

ResidentDante said:
Anybody have a ingame shot of Alex Kidd? Haven't seen this guy around since my Master System 2 days :lol

28qj3k.jpg

n6yogg.jpg

Wizpig

Remember kids:

360, Ps3, Wii, DS = Online support
PC = No online

Just saying this again since it's a new thread.
That said, when is the DS demo coming to Europe?!

Platy

EvilMario said:
I don't understand how this 'sux for wii users'. Now they get to have two great cart racing games. Oh no.

Why would you pick up the DS version, considering the very mediocre reviews?

Not exactly swiming in money (games are insanely overpriced here) .. so will skip the wii version in favor of the already tested mario kart wii ..... ds version has potential because i don't like mario kart ds that much ... but i didn't knew about the mediocre reviews =/

Some points from the GamesTM Review:

- Lacks instant reward and satisfaction
- Drift mechanic = bad
- The More you play; the more you will grow to like it. You need to find a character to suit your playstyle
- Challenge mode is awesome
- Super star moves don't do much.
- Framerate = bad

Summary: Not as good as mario kart.

After playing the PS3 demo a few times I can say that I enjoyed it quite a lot despite a few issues, so here are few thoughts on it:

Drifting: Smooth and rewarding, but simple enough that even my Dad could probably understand it. Better than almost every drifting system I've ever encountered, with the one exception being Crash Team Racing.

Visuals & Framerate: I didn't see a single issue with the framerate and the graphics are very vibrant. I don't know if it is just me, but I didn't notice that screen consuming blur filter when boosting on the PS3 demo though (which is actually better).

Weapons: Terrible. In my first race I was stuck down in 5th-8th and ended up with triple bombs six times in a row, I actually thought the game was glitched because I never got any other weapon in that race (and the bombs are almost useless). Then in the second race while I was in second place I ended up with an all star move and constant triple missiles.

Characters: Sonic seemed to be the safe beginners choice as expected while Eggman was the typical fast but poor cornering type. I found Eggman to be the far better choice, you have to start drifting earlier to get around corners which means a much bigger boost when exiting the corner.

Tracks: Looking at the ones listed in the demo the choice is not very good, most characters don't have a single track to their name and you can forget about other Sega franchises getting a look in. All the Sonic tracks are from Sonic Heroes as well, which is bizzare since it's not exactly a well regarded game.

Yeah a bit mixed on the demo. The visuals are vibrant and nice. The tone/attitude is charming (even though generic) but some things are meh like the weapons, odd handling and some of the cast.

I'll see if my son likes it

Also, is it just me or is the demo set to hard?

Poona

AgentOtaku said:
Also, is it just me or is the demo set to hard?

Haven't tried it on PS3 yet, but once you've chosen your character you can change the settings for them. I think on 360 the default is 'Advanced', but you can change it to the next harder setting or make it easier (beginner).

RobbieNick

Since we're on a new thread, I though I'd re-post my "World-Exclusive" DS footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDhY7oYZ30

Also, earlier today, I did a 360/PS3 comparison video, but didn't have enough time to upload and post until now. It might still be processing, so don't be surprised if it's a little fuzzy. Also, you get to hear my nerdy voice.:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-htb47C9beI

Basically, I'm just switching back and forth between channels. It's harder to see the difference in framerate on youtube, than when you're playing it live.

It was easier to place first on Rampart Road than it was Seaside Hill. That shortcut really helps this time. Also, you can see Eggman's all-star move in this video.

I love the miracle save around 8:12. Though for sure I'd go over the edge.

it was nice that the PSN demo had a different track and a different 2nd character (duh).
I was pleased with it

Banjo bothers me too much... so I am going PS3

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Good:
The characters, item weapons, charm, music , stage design.

Bad:
Frame rate, drift control.

So far the PS3 demo is such a letdown. This game had so much potential. Maybe the final version will improve just a bit ?

Remember, some guys from The Sonic Stadium played the final (or near-final) version of the game and reported the framerate had been cleaned up.

360 owners, play the demo in SD, you get a good 30fps jumping up to 60 in some areas and it feels much nicer at that frame rate.

Also the 360 menu is 60fps in SD

Gameboy415

I tried the PS3 demo today and I like it a lot!
I definitely want to pick it up when I get back in the States.
I might get the DS version too. Despite the poor reviews(?), that video posted above looks great to me!

Will the PS3/360 versions have identical tracks as the Wii version?

[Nintex]

Sega1991 said:
Remember, some guys from The Sonic Stadium played the final (or near-final) version of the game and reported the framerate had been cleaned up.
I sure hope it is, the way S0L's been talking about the framerate I'm at least expecting a stable 30fps.

Captain N

RobbieNick said:
Since we're on a new thread, I though I'd re-post my "World-Exclusive" DS footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDhY7oYZ30

Also, earlier today, I did a 360/PS3 comparison video, but didn't have enough time to upload and post until now. It might still be processing, so don't be surprised if it's a little fuzzy. Also, you get to hear my nerdy voice.:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-htb47C9beI

Basically, I'm just switching back and forth between channels. It's harder to see the difference in framerate on youtube, than when you're playing it live.

It was easier to place first on Rampart Road than it was Seaside Hill. That shortcut really helps this time. Also, you can see Eggman's all-star move in this video.

I love the miracle save around 8:12. Though for sure I'd go over the edge.

The DS version does look really good! I can't believe it looks that good. It's pretty hard for me to tell a difference from the 360/PS3 comparison video, but the save at 8:15 was sweet.

Played the PS3 demo last night as both characters. It was better than I thought it would be but it wasn't all that fun really. Nothing bad about it just didn't set me alight in any way.

Will probably give it a borrow at some point.

Willy105 said:
I wish I could play as Banjo.

Why? He's your typical "really fast top speed but awful acceleration" racer, which, in something like ASR, is extremely difficult to maintain. If you get hit even once, recovering your speed is very tricky.

WillyFive

Sega1991 said:
Why? He's your typical "really fast top speed but awful acceleration" racer, which, in something like ASR, is extremely difficult to maintain. If you get hit even once, recovering your speed is very tricky.

Just for nostalgic value. I am more fond of him than any of the other characters in the game.

Played some more of the demo

Seriously fuck rubber band AI. Even on "beginner" the shit is just not fun. Reminds me of Sega Rally Revo actually...

DeVeAn

I don't see an issue with the drifting I think it works. Also it doesnt feel as cheap as Mario Kart Wii did. Besides the framerate which is better on the PS3, I think its a good time to be had.

Diablohead said:
360 owners, play the demo in SD, you get a good 30fps jumping up to 60 in some areas and it feels much nicer at that frame rate.

Also the 360 menu is 60fps in SD

I tried it and this is definitely not the case, performance is exactly the same. What's more the edges are super clean, there's no way they'd look that good without the 360 downsampling the 720p output.

Top Bottom