• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing! The NeoGAF Megathread Zone!

This has been my most anticipated game ever since it was announced. Seriously. I loved every second of Sega Superstars Tennis, and I'm a sucker for character-crossover games that are full of fanservice. Also, it's basically Mario Kart but with voice chat during online. That alone is reason enough for me to want it.

Sumo also did amazing jobs on the OutRun home conversions, so I always knew that there'd be no problems with the gameplay mechanics.

I hope that others here will be playing this online.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Sega is throwing an event for this title pitting 10 or so journalists in a race in the game this Friday. Hopefully they (including my colleague) walk away impressed with the title as I'm in need of a good racer to fill my time until Blur or GT5 come out.

Fredescu

OMG Aero said:
SecretBonusPoint said:
Has it been specifically explained why the PC version has no online multiplayer and only Splitscreen Local Play, when every other version has it?!

TSSZ news is quoting one of the staff members (I think S0L) as saying
thing said:
“Truth is we did look at online support, be it GFW or some other method,” Lycett said. “When we looked into the cost vs the projected sales, the two didn’t add up. So as a result the feature wasn’t added to the game. One of the main reasons is that on PC people will steal it rather than buy it.”
What the fuck? Why even release it at all then?

I wonder what sort of margin GFWL and Steam take from the cut then if they are still going to release the game but without any kind of online features. I hope this doesn't turn off other devs from thinking about using live or steamworks on smaller titles.

Noogy

M3d10n said:
I'm almost certain the DS version runs at 60fps.
Yeah, saw some videos for the DS version. Looked extremely good. I still enjoyed the 360 demo, but it would scream at 60fps.

Diablohead said:
I wonder what sort of margin GFWL and Steam take from the cut then if they are still going to release the game but without any kind of online features. I hope this doesn't turn off other devs from thinking about using live or steamworks on smaller titles.

Steamworks is free.

What's the soundtrack like?

All original tracks or Sega remixes?

Say what you want about Sega, but they never disappoint when it comes to music.

I hope there are some good remixes of some of the themes I've grown to love over the years. Like Bayonetta did a good job with the Outrun and Afterburner remixes.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Damn, I didn't know the game would be missing online on the PC.

I'll probably just wait for the eventual Steam sale, then.

Or I dunno, just steal it because that is apparently all PC gamers do. :/

Nabs

i liked the ds demo, so i thought i'd give it a shot for pc. no online is an automatic no purchase though.

"One of the main reasons is that on PC people will steal it rather than buy it.” :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So clearly the only way to play this "online" for the PC is to use hamachi?

Why not just let someone host when it's a 4p game. As hard as it is to say, P2P in a racer couldn't be all that difficult ffs.

Platy

My impressions of the demo :

1-Biggest Mario kart imitator ever .... awesome for 360/ps3 users .... sux for wii users =P

2- Banjo has more SPEED than .... SONIC ?????????????????????????? *explodes*

Basicaly .... probably getting the ds version ....someday =P

Platy said:

1-Biggest Mario kart imitator ever .... awesome for 360/ps3 users .... sux for wii users =P

#1 is the reason for #2. Just like in Mario Kart, heavys are fast but suck at acceleration, lightweights have lower speed but great acceleration.

Platy said:

Basicaly .... probably getting the ds version ....someday =P

We will see. Maybe it's better than MK Wii :)

Vgamer

Anyone know why the Wii version is about $10 cheaper? Is it missing any tracks or features from the Ps3/360 version? After hearing the reason the PC version is cheaper is because its missing online play now I am wondering if the Wii version is cheaper because it is missing something too?

PG2G

Vgamer said:
Anyone know why the Wii version is about $10 cheaper? Is it missing any tracks or features from the Ps3/360 version? After hearing the reason the PC version is cheaper is because its missing online play now I am wondering if the Wii version is cheaper because it is missing something too?

I'm pretty sure normal price for a Wii game is $49.99, while for 360/PS3 it is $59.99. In other words, it's missing HD

evlcookie said:
So clearly the only way to play this "online" for the PC is to use hamachi?

Why not just let someone host when it's a 4p game. As hard as it is to say, P2P in a racer couldn't be all that difficult ffs.
HAMACHI THIS SHIT

edit: I mean, anyone taking the plunge on the pc version despite sega raping us right in the hole please confirm hamachi success.

WillyFive

Vgamer said:

Wii games are always $10 cheaper than the HD games. Imaginary HD tax.

Subliminal said:
Just got an email from GAME. Price has gone down to £29.99

I'm glad to hear that all the major online stores are now pricing it at sub-£30, that should hopefully encourage a lot more first week impulse purchases and less "I'll wait for the first price crash".

Platy said:
Banjo has more SPEED than .... SONIC ?????????????????????????? *explodes*

Sonic needs to be accessible for beginners, as the vast majority of people are going to pick him first, and use him the most. Giving him the fastest speed stat in the game means he's not going to handle well.

If Sonic played like Banjo, a lot of people would be put off.

Zen

Banned
I've always been iffy on drifting based racers, it would be awesome if you could turn the boost mechanic off :lol

But I'm still getting this.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
So is Opa Opa in a kart, or is it the kart itself?

Controlling a spaceship that is sitting in a kart would be absolutely :lol (in a good way).

Top Bottom