• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chantelise |OT| of Hammerballs, Faeries and Chantilly Lace

Ah, I'm passed the third area now. I'm really enjoying figuring out how to get all of the treasure chests. I am legit shocked I figured out the treasure chest on the bridge level, although I'm glad there's a way to get clues for the really obtuse ones. I pretty much missed most of stage two's treasures but got all but one (first level) in stage three.

Also, I shall refer to the game from this point on as Chantelma. So there.

Joe Molotov said:
Screenshots are working for me but....they're all set to private. When I try to change them to public, it says there was an error and I'm not allowed to do that. That's weird.
There's definitely some kinks in the game's Steam integration.

I miss my screenshots!

Just bought it, first time purchasing anything over $4.99 on Steam. I'm allowing this exception as I see it helping balance out having gotten Recettear for a steal as part of a $4.99 pack (Puzzle Agent also helped sell that pack).

Looking forward to starting it up with the solid Logitech F510 controller I picked up on sale last year for games such as this, old 2D shooters (and newer offerings such as Jamestown), Outrun 2006, etc.

Enjoying it, works nicely with controller, using right stick for rotation and RB for camera lock. I also dig how the game sometimes throws a lot at you. I'm very early on, but already that
first catacomb multi-species ambush of skeletons, yellow slimes, and floating eyeballs
kept me on my toes.

Not in any way a story/major spoiler there, but spoilered just to preserve the gameplay surprise for beginning players.

Update: just finished first boss after first failed attempt. Went in magic attack biased with the magic wand from the store. If one wasn't dodging much before this battle, that will end here...

Sciz

It turns out that all of the cool loot (read: air dashing, HP leeching) is hidden in the secret chests. Similarly, most of the gear you can buy from a shop can be found hidden somewhere.

edit: The fishing minigame is also one of the most thoroughly enjoyable ones I've ever run across for a handful of reasons.

Soule

Sciz said:
It turns out that all of the cool loot (read: air dashing, HP leeching) is hidden in the secret chests. Similarly, most of the gear you can buy from a shop can be found hidden somewhere.

edit: The fishing minigame is also one of the most thoroughly enjoyable ones I've ever run across for a handful of reasons.
I've barely played more than an hour or so and just beaten the first boss, but what I did notice is when I reran and looked for some treasure the two items (besides health increase) that I did buy were the exact two I found inside the dungeon which kinda makes me hesitant to spend money in the future. I'll definitely be looking around a bit more before I lay down some cash.

first boss
i might have got lucky but i went right next to him (don't target him) and just attacked. his arms went over me and when he jumped I would walk forwrad since i was trying to be as close as possible and his jump would go over me.

easy win.

I just beat it.

Now I guess I'll need to tackle the Survival Dungeon and/or continue to work out solutions for the hidden treasures. Well, I think I'm only missing almost all of the ones from the wind area and one from the final area. I'm 100% (minus the bonus levels) on the first three stages.

I was hoping that you could
play as Elma again
once you beat it, but alas, no such option appeared.

Maybe upon finding more secrets, then?

Cleaned up on the hidden treasures now, a few were tough and I had to concede to two of them (both involving fishing, heh).

So I guess all I have left to do is the survival dungeon, unless there's more after that.

All around, a great use of $8.99 on my weekend.

Ugh, I just spent over three hours in the survival dungeon and died on floor sixty.

So yeah, I think I'm done with this game for the time being, but it'll be one I replay every so often.

Gvaz

Banned
emot-starebig.gif

Triple post posting...

Zzoram

So this game is just Reccettear but with polygonal 3D instead of sprites during dungeons? It looks like a sequel.

Fredescu

Zzoram said:
So this game is just Reccettear but with polygonal 3D instead of sprites during dungeons? It looks like a sequel.
No, it's a straight up adventure. You don't run an item shop. The original came out before Recettear, so it's definitely not a sequel.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm only to the Volcano dungeon part, but I have to say, compared to Recettear this game is pretty awful.

Why they chose to follow up the amazing Recettear with this is beyond me.

Soule

Nekofrog said:
Kinda wondering the same thing myself. It does show its age, not nearly as polished and the premise is quite generic or at least nowhere near as interesting and unique as Recettear. On one hand I'm sure this was easier to localize than recettear and it supports the first dev that showed some faith and allowed them to localize their first game, however I think there are better quality games out there that would've been able to build their profile more and allow them to be a bit more ambitious.

Anyway despite its flaws I've still sunk a few hours into this and had some fun but it really does make me wanna play Recettear more than continue playing. I like EGSs style though and am very much anticipating Territoire.

Nekofrog said:
First and foremost, in terms of doujin games, there's not much (if anything) they could have brought over that would have had the impact Recettear had. Secondly, Chantelise was probably chosen as the relationship with EasyGameStation had been established and it probably gave Carpe Fulgur something to work on while they pursued other developer's projects.

I'll be supporting Carpe Fulgur releases day one for the foreseeable future, Fortune Summoners looks like a game I've dreamed about so many times and the secrecy behind "project four" makes me want it, without the slightest clue as to what it would be. Territoire though, I really don't like turn-based strategy games, so I'm hoping EGS has a cool little gimmick/hook for it that will get me interested in it.

Nekofrog

Banned
PixyJunket said:
First and foremost, in terms of doujin games, there's not much (if anything) they could have brought over that would have had the impact Recettear had. Secondly, Chantelise was probably chosen as the relationship with EasyGameStation had been established and it probably gave Carpe Fulgur something to work on while they pursued other developer's projects.

I'll be supporting Carpe Fulgur releases day one for the foreseeable future, Fortune Summoners looks like a game I've dreamed about so many times and the secrecy behind "project four" makes me want it, without the slightest clue as to what it would be. Territoire though, I really don't like turn-based strategy games, so I'm hoping EGS has a cool little gimmick/hook for it that will get me interested in it.

All of that aside, if this release had been at least half as good as Recettear I'd take up the day-1 support flag as well. As it stands, I am now very much wait-and-see when it comes to Carpe Fulgur, all because of Chantellise.

Just finished Chantelise.
Overall I liked the game. The fact that there's no exp and winning is entirely up to your strategy and equipment meant that I never had to grind and never felt underpowered compared to the enemies. I didn't have any problems with the difficulty aside from the second boss and can't really understand all the fuzz about the difficulty since there's no punishment for dying and once you complete a stage you don't have to kill all monsters to procede.
The fact that there's less story and voice acting than Recettear was also a plus to me since I don't really like anime.
My biggest problem with the game was the controls, since I don't use a gamepad. It's very easy to hit the wrong button and turn the camera the wrong way or use magic when you're trying to target an enemy.
I feel that I got my monies worth with this game even if it was "only" 10 hours and lacked the hook that Recettear had.

Did you guys who ended up not liking the game try the demo? Because I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there that would give you a mistaken impression of what the final game would be like.

And remember, those are our first month sales; Recettear pulled 26k in a similar timeframe, and now sits at over 140k and and still selling. So yeah, I'm reasonably optimistic about this coming holiday season for Chantelise.

Anyway, I'm glad most people seem to have liked the game, even if a few didn't really "click" with it (but we had a suspicion that might happen).

Top Bottom