• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

CzarTim

Is the content creation substantially better than the Foundry in Star Trek (or the old quest creator in City of Heroes)?
Yup, looks like they did a lot with it this time. I think they are relying on it for extra content as there are gaps while leveling where you either need to do Foundry missions or grind quests/dungeons that you already did.

Somnia

Will i be able to play solo or most of the content is party needed?
Bummer there is no Ranger class:-(

You can solo alot of the content. The true 12 dungeons will need a group though. Ranger and Warlock are the next two classes, but no date for them.

Atruvius

Tried the beta for 15 minutes and uninstalled it. Seemed just like everyother WoW-style MMO and I don't really like MMOs. The art style isn't my cup of tea either.

Nymerio

Don't even know what you expected when you don't even like MMOs. And 15 minutes is a ridiculous amount of time to judge any RPG, MMO or not.

smr00

Banned
The only thing it has even remotely in common with WOW is that it's an MMO.
Right? It's nothing like it. Then again the guy only played "15 minutes".

BTW, does anyone know if you can buy town portals? I have picked up 2 so far but wondering if you can actually buy them from merchants. And fuck the AH inflation that's going on. It's RIDICULOUS.

Emitan

Tried the beta for 15 minutes and uninstalled it. Seemed just like everyother WoW-style MMO and I don't really like MMOs. The art style isn't my cup of tea either.

I haven't played yet but I watched an hour long dungeon playthrough/interview with the developers and it's nothing like WoW at all.

Arken2121

Has anyone else gotten a fatal error when starting the game? I looked it up but it seems mine is different than the others.

12 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.: Texture_Library/Ui/Cursors/Cursors_Auctioneer.Wtex:

I tried verifying with no luck.

Somnia

Right? It's nothing like it. Then again the guy only played "15 minutes".

BTW, does anyone know if you can buy town portals? I have picked up 2 so far but wondering if you can actually buy them from merchants. And fuck the AH inflation that's going on. It's RIDICULOUS.

I don't remember the vendor, but yes you can.

On a side note I've been watching some level 60 epic/heroic dungeons... Everyone saying how easy the game is, just wait. Difficulty ramps up for sure.

SUPARSTARX

Read up on the game and saw some streams.

My early access impressions so far:

-uses D&D 4th edition type of skill set, At will, encounter, daily, etc.
-I'm playing a cleric and I'm enjoying the class even though it's not a traditional one with shield and mace.
-Attack system is kinda TERAish but for at least the cleric, there's some auto target assist going so it's not as messy like TERA where you have to constantly aim with your mouse. You can aim, click and relax and plan out your attacks
-Character stat distribution is interesting, traditional stat allocation every few levels, passive boosts and defined passive stat allocations
-You can only have a certain amount of skills on your bar but you can swap it middle of the fight, there's just a 10 second cooldown on skill swaps.
-Theres a lot of graphic settings to make it look very detailed and far distanced, I have my game at max and might crank it up some more. Looks good even though not FFXIV ARR good :p I still like it
-There's a lot of pay schemes but it's just quality of life kind of enhancements. $10 a bag :x

Carry on...

smr00

Banned
Is it possible to bring up like overall stats from PVP? I know they show your stats at the end of the match but i wouldn't mind seeing my overall PVP performance so far but i can't find anything on it. Tried google and nothing.

Nekofrog

Banned
Not suppose to...so is it safe to say Mindflayer will be the ''official'' GAF realm...?...I heard they might merge all of them into 1 anyway at some point...

Rumor has it that Mindflayer is also the unofficial RP server... though I've never seen any RPing going on anywhere (thank god).

I'm on MF because my friends went there on the $200 start.

SUPARSTARX

Got lucky with my fourth lock box for the nightmare mount! Spent $5 for the ZEN currency, last lockbox came through for me

UJRTGNu.jpg

Boken

Banned
How is this different to wow?

Other than non targeted aim theres regular aggro mechanics, kill quests and 5 man dungeons/

Dizzy-4U

Despite of what people think of Cryptic, I really like STO, so I'll give it a shot. Downloading the client right now.

By the way, how's the character customization? Cryptic's been really good in that aspect in the past.

Xiaoki

By the way, how's the character customization? Cryptic's been really good in that aspect in the past.

Not good.

And thats being kind.

Character customization is below current average and way below Cryptic's standards.

I would have better comments if the character models looked better but they are also quite bad.

SUPARSTARX

Despite of what people think of Cryptic, I really like STO, so I'll give it a shot. Downloading the client right now.

The models don't look too defined. You can alter a fair mount of stuff but it's average. You can't zoom in or out with the camera and you're locked in one view angle the whole time. It's hard to notice much when you are playing like that.

CzarTim

They cost AD. Open your bag, go to the currency tab, and click Spend next to AD. A store will pop up with them.

The models don't look too defined. You can alter a fair mount of stuff but it's average. You can't zoom in or out with the camera and you're locked in one view angle the whole time. It's hard to notice much when you are playing like that.

You can hit "B" to hide the UI and get control of the camera (including zoom), but thats about it.

Really not liking how they're keeping the Drow behind that $200 founder package. I read that they'll get released in 60 days normally, but my wife is chomping at the bit now...

SUPARSTARX

I'm 26 now. I like the game overall, even though the leveling is not that far off from wow, I enjoy not having to mash 1 thousands of times in the process. It's all still kill x, fetch y but with a lot of dungeon inducing in the process that keeps the leveling a little more epic in the solo aspect.

The itemization isn't ground breaking. I'm still figuring out what to optimize properly on my cleric for healing in groups.

There's like a lot of micro transaction stuff, whether it's gold, diamonds or Zen on top of the tokens they throw at you. The economy in hand is player driven as there's conversion and trade values for those things.

They will make you hold a lot of stuff and you might run out of space pretty easy. If I could do it again, I think I would have saved my sixty bucks to get bags and other stuff. The 60 pack kind of sucks and the 200 pack is what it is.

I think the game is at least good enough to play for free. You guys should definitely give it a shot especially if you got the mmo itch like I do since quitting wow a while ago.

nikos

Really looking forward to playing this tomorrow. Trying to decide between Wizard, Cleric or Rogue. Think I'm going to heal this time around.

ZenVolta

ReDownloading now. Pretty hyped to play tomorrow.

What are the chances we will be able to play at midnight?

Edit: 15 hours till open beta. =/

syko de4d

the neverwinter downloader has downloaded "Neverwinter NW.1.20130416a.6" (3.6GB), i did an install and than i launched the exe and after that the launcher downloaded a 120mb patch and that was all. The "Cryptic Studios" Folder, where the game is, is only 3,7GB big, this cant be right??

edit: atm Neverwinter has Version "NW.1.20130416a.11", which is the latest Version (3days old) and i can start the game (but cant login because i am not a Founder). But 3.7GB for a new MMO? oO

Top Bottom