• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gladiators thread of tight spandex, puny contestants & Crush 100 hit combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Despite the fact that he was a reserve (alternate) gladiator on the original series (in Series 6 and 7), Mike is the only individual to be a gladiator on both the original 1989-96 series and the 2008 revival of American Gladiators.

He never got on tv though in the original last season.

Big-E

miyamotofreak said:
Titan is so trying to hit that. :lol :lol So my list of American Gladiators that should stay is now
Wolf, Titan, and Crush.

Those are really the only keepers. I think you can keep Siren and Fury too. The rest have got to go especially Mayhem.

miyamotofreak said:
Titan is so trying to hit that. :lol :lol So my list of American Gladiators that should stay is now
Wolf, Titan, and Crush.

yeah, those three are the best so far.

I do think Toa did kind of redeem himself on the rock climb, but his lame ass 'character' is really bad.

Big-E said:
Those are really the only keepers. I think you can keep Siren and Fury too. The rest have got to go especially Mayhem.

Mayhem, Militia, and Justice have not proven themselves worthy yet.

Big-E

Linkzg said:
Mayhem, Militia, and Justice have not proven themselves worthy yet.

Mayhem and Militia never will, they just suck. Mayhem has sucked bad in Joust and can't climb. Militia got knocked off of Earthquake twice. I think Justice has only been in Gauntlet and Assault so you can't really judge yet.

chubigans said:
Wha? Justice has continually brought the pain in that 4-gladiator-halfpipe event.

yeah, but he fucked up big when he wouldent let that one guy through even though he was clearly on the white line. Also, his character isnt that great either with the pointing and all that.

he isnt as bad as Mayhem and Militia tho. I mean, Mayhem messed up big time on the joust then did poorly on the rock climb. Militia messed up on the ring climb because he was hurt or something and in the balance wrestling event he didnt do that great.

Karakand said:
how can you want to ax HELLGA

She has hell IN HER NAME

I think Hellga would be good in events where she doesnt need to move, that includes that half pipe event. I think she would be good on the balancing wrestling one because she seems to have power but no agility.

X26

Banned
Finally saw the first episode, and overall I think it's pretty great, however:

- Besides Wolf and Titan, the male gladiators suck horribly
- While practically every females gladiator is fairly hot (OMG CRUSH), they're all pretty useless for the most part save for Crush and maybe Fury
- Is it just me or are the set pieces a lot smaller than in the original? Pyramid especially
- Contestant and gladiator banter is way too forced
- Atmosphere is shit. The colors schemes, the overuse of water, the lame staged audience, the shit announcer, and wtf is with the music
- Eliminator, wtf did they do to you

Despite all that though I really did like it...honest!

Titan: With my name, I came in with The Natural or Atlas and they went, "Titan," the last day, right when we were starting to film. They go, "You know what? Titan." They had the final say.

thats kind of funny because I was talking about it with a friend and we both thought Atlas would be a much better name for Titan because of the whole Atlas Shrugged thing.

newsguy

X26 said:
- Atmosphere is shit. The colors schemes, the overuse of water, the lame staged audience, the shit announcer, and wtf is with the music

Agreed. If some PA came up to me and asked me to hold a poster that said "I have a crush on Crush" I would punch his/her mouth.

X26 said:
Finally saw the first episode, and overall I think it's pretty great, however:

- Besides Wolf and Titan, the male gladiators suck horribly
- While practically every females gladiator is fairly hot (OMG CRUSH), they're all pretty useless for the most part save for Crush and maybe Fury
- Is it just me or are the set pieces a lot smaller than in the original? Pyramid especially
- Contestant and gladiator banter is way too forced
- Eliminator, wtf did they do to you

Despite all that though I really did like it...honest!

I think some of the banter is forced and bad, but some of it is hilarious. That skateboard guy insulting Wolf followed by Wolf's death stare was great. Same with Titan picking up that short fast guy and throwing him off while saying Good bye.

I think they need to get rid of the sob stories for the challengers, I dont want to hear how they were in the army or doing things for their kids, cut that shit short. I do think Hogan is kind of good for this show, I dont really like the woman host tho.

newsguy said:
Agreed. If some PA came up to me and asked me to hold a poster that said "I have a crush on Crush" I would punch his/her mouth.

what is Crush asked you to hold that sign up?

They basically just need to make the production more like a sports event like the original and less like a reality show.

No more stupid generic reality TV music. I swear it's the same music they play on The Apprentice and Hell's Kitchen. Lose it. It's annoying.

Less focus on the contenders.

Pull the camera out and show more of the action.

newsguy

Linkzg said:
what is Crush asked you to hold that sign up?

I would give her the link to this thread and say there are dirty avatars of her. Then I would FHUTA and make a post titled "Crush-age, who's the last female MMA fighter/Gladiator you boned?"

newsguy

X26 said:
And turn a fucking light on! Why's it so dark and cluttered, it's like they're competing in a closet.

Yep, and all these people wonder why there's so much macroblocking in the HD feed. Dark scenes + fast pans/tilts + HD compression= aweful macroblocking.

Novid

Banned
newsguy said:

Well, they had to put a darker spin on things, but it comes in a wash.

Overall, The womens division goes for ani/andro/trap/trannysuprise/maximesce-sexiness but not OMG SHE GONNA OWN YOU like the old womens division did. Crush i respect big time, because before womens lib, those were the babes we wanted to **** (im half jokin) (cause she isnt a bad MMA fighter, and the men over at XC have some type of inferiority complex that makes no sense at all) Helga needs to get on the Earthquake stat, before she loses her fear factor. The rest of the females need to quit on the animu poses. There is a reason why Crush is loved and Helga has a fanbase...dwidinling as it may be.

Mens Division, outside of Titan (he must be the ONLY dude that doesnt have a RRoD Xbox360...YET) Wolf and Toa, they reek. We havent seen the rest of these dudes in action yet, Mayhem has got to go.

I love the show though. Hulk is for Laughs, Laila is alright...

Ripclawe

Banned
Hellga had her moment last show.
81r2trp.gif

Sean

Banned
Big-E said:

The New York Firefighter guy from the first episode (Anthony was it?) was awesome too. He might not be as physically strong as some of the other men but he's got the speed and stamina.

Sean said:
The New York Firefighter guy from the first episode (Anthony was it?) was awesome too. He might not be as physically strong as some of the other men but he's got the speed and stamina.

I like Adonis. He doesn't even have to change his name if he wins and becomes a gladiator.

Aaron

Sean said:
Yeah, I hope he wins it all. He had a huge lead on points and he still totally dominated Hit & Run. Put him as the gladiator in an event like the Wall, and the contestant wouldn't stand a chance.

Outlaw

Banned
Gryphter said:
what's everyone's opinion on Venom? I think she should be considered a keeper with the others mentioned

She is hot so she's a keeper too along with crush. I don't care about the rest..

beth1.jpg

beth2.jpg

Baker

Banned
newsguy said:
I would give her the link to this thread and say there are dirty avatars of her. Then I would FHUTA and make a post titled "Crush-age, who's the last female MMA fighter/Gladiator you boned?"

That finally put me in a good mood this morning, thank you.

jaypah

Karakand said:
how can you want to ax HELLGA

She has hell IN HER NAME

and that's all i'm saying. you can't get rid of HELLGA. she's a rock. a rock of huge hot proportions. even if she doesn't do shit she should still be there because 1) she's big. 2)her name is HELLGA. and 3) because i said so.

JdFoX187

Banned
Crush, Siren and Venom are the best looking. I used to think the one tall gladiator with the ponytail was hot until I saw that Photoshop of her as Sheeva. I can't get that out o fmy head now.

Karakand

jaypah said:
and that's all i'm saying. you can't get rid of HELLGA. she's a rock. a rock of huge hot proportions. even if she doesn't do shit she should still be there because 1) she's big. 2)her name is HELLGA. and 3) because i said so.
She is so imposing her name demands to be typed IN ALL CAPS. Can you say that about any of the other gladiators? I think not.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2008/01/08/news/local/doc4783002f93e8a252213855.txt

She was running on Astroturf when she says a woman “took a cheap shot,” and tackled her.

Then, pop.

A warm sensation started trickling through Jessie Adams Foster’s leg.

At first, her injured knee didn’t hurt, says the 26-year-old Donahue, Iowa, woman, who was competing on the new version of the television show, “American Gladiators,” which premiered Sunday on NBC.

“When I tried to get back up and run, my leg just flopped out from under me,” she said. “I didn’t think it was that bad. I wanted to go back out.”

So started, and ended, Foster’s short run on the game show, a remake of the 1980s-’90s athletic competition series, which pitted everyday people against “Gladiators.”

The show’s marketing materials characterized her as a single mother of three — ages 7, 3 and almost 2 — and a “toilet paper saleswoman.”

Foster worked as a customer service representative for Great Western Supply Co. in Davenport for about a year until quitting in November, but spent most of the past few years co-owning a Bettendorf gymnasium with Pat Miletich, the nationally acclaimed mixed martial arts fighter and trainer from the Quad-Cities, and Collin Carney, her former boss at the paper company.

This was the first time she had tried out for a TV show, but says she took “a huge risk” — and even left her job — to participate in the show’s tapings, which started in late November in Los Angeles. Her motivation: The chance to win $100,000.

Foster tried out for the show in Chicago over the summer and was chosen among about 20,000 other people who tried out in eight cities and on video. The 1999 Pleasant Valley High School graduate said that, by contract, she was not allowed to discuss how she faired in the competition, even though she was seriously injured more than a month ago, on Nov. 30.

She has been wearing a brace, walking on her bad leg, ever since — even though she “pretty much destroyed her knee,” she said. She is scheduled for knee surgery later this month.

The rest of the series will air at 7 p.m. Mondays.

“It was an incredible experience,” she said, despite the injury. “They want me to go back for season two, so if they’ll have me back, then I will.”

YYZ

lol she wants to go back on the show. I'm pretty sure there were numerous contracts signed beforehand anyway. One could argue that she was being selfish by going on the show despite the physical risk and risk of not being able to work afterward to support her children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom