• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Comic Book Start Up Guide (The Big Thread of Comic Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duress

I loved 52. It really gave the spotlight to characters, since the big trinity were gone. In fact, it made really like characters that I wouldn't have.

JZA

Man the lack of Valiant is killing me. Please Zombine:

Harbinger by Joshua Dysart
X-O Manowar by Robert Venditti
Ivar, Timewalker by Fred Van Lente
Archer & Armstrong by Fred Van Lente
Rai by Matt Kindt
Unity by Matt Kindt
The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage by Jen Van Meter
Bloodshot by Duane Swierczynski
Ninjak by Matt Kindt

Glad someone finally mentioned Valiant. I only had seen XOM on covers when I was a kid, but I started reading the Venditti run on Scribd and it hooked me into the entire re-imagined Valiant universe, really liking all of these characters right now. It's like if they took the MCU and DCCU, combined the best elements, then made them rated-R.

Glad someone finally mentioned Valiant. I only had seen XOM on covers when I was a kid, but I started reading the Venditti run on Scribd and it hooked me into the entire re-imagined Valiant universe, really liking all of these characters right now. It's like if they took the MCU and DCCU, combined the best elements, then made them rated-R.

Fuck yes, another Valiant fan.

That about sums up the whole universe pretty well, actually. Since I'm used to reading books with looser content restrictions, I hadn't give it much thought, but Valiant is definitely a notch higher on the content rating than the big two.

Did you use Scribd on a tablet? How is that? I just found out Valiant was on there yesterday and even though I've read most of what I want to read that they have, I was going to check out the app on tablets just to get some impressions for anyone interested.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I really want to recommend to look there newbies to try out Marvel Unlimited. When you disconnect your supply of comics from having to pay for each issue, you can expend your tastes and horizons with little risk.

I really want to recommend to look there newbies to try out Marvel Unlimited. When you disconnect your supply of comics from having to pay for each issue, you can expend your tastes and horizons with little risk.

Scribd is a good alternative as well. Less Marvel books but they do have material from IDW, Valiant, and more. It's the cheapest way to read stuff like TMNT and Transformers More Than Meets the Eye.

Avixph

Okay guys I just got Marvel Unlimited, so please recommend me some comics series to read . (Preferably comics about each of the characters that will be part of the All New, All Different Marvel booms).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Okay guys I just got Marvel Unlimited, so please recommend me some comics series to read . (Preferably comics about each of the characters that will be part of the All New, All Different Marvel booms).

Welcome aboard!

Some great stuff to start off, featuring characters that will be part of ANAD:
Ms Marvel (2014) - she'll be a major player, and member of the Avengers going forward. she's also a good window into the Inhumans, who will be a big part of ANAD.

Speaking of Inhumans, get to know the gang here.

These introduce a major antagonist and hero:
Future Imperfect
Old Man Logan

Afrodium

Banned

The Marvel recommendations in the OP are pretty solid. The thing about ANAD Marvel is that it's a jumping on point, so there's no need to worry about studying up on the characters. Some newish characters that look like they're getting promoted in ANAD would be Kamala Khan from the most recent Ms. Marvel run and Miles Morales as a Spider-Man. If you can't find Miles on MU, his series is listed at Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2011-Present) before it switches to Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man.

Avixph

Welcome aboard!

Some great stuff to start off, featuring characters that will be part of ANAD:
Ms Marvel (2014) - she'll be a major player, and member of the Avengers going forward. she's also a good window into the Inhumans, who will be a big part of ANAD.

Speaking of Inhumans, get to know the gang here.

These introduce a major antagonist and hero:
Future Imperfect
Old Man Logan

The Marvel recommendations in the OP are pretty solid. The thing about ANAD Marvel is that it's a jumping on point, so there's no need to worry about studying up on the characters. Some newish characters that look like they're getting promoted in ANAD would be Kamala Khan from the most recent Ms. Marvel run and Miles Morales as a Spider-Man. If you can't find Miles on MU, his series is listed at Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2011-Present) before it switches to Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man.
Thanks for the recommendation you two.

jon bones

Thanks for the recommendation you two.

no problem. a good thing about all our suggestions ( kamala/ms marvel, spider-man/ miles morales, inhumans by jae lee, future imperfect by peter david, old man logan by millar) is that they are short, self-contained runs by one creative team throughout. they all also do a great job explaining and exploring the characters your seeing.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
no problem. a good thing about all our suggestions ( kamala/ms marvel, spider-man/ miles morales, inhumans by jae lee, future imperfect by peter david, old man logan by millar) is that they are short, self-contained runs by one creative team throughout. they all also do a great job explaining and exploring the characters your seeing.

This, right here, is so key. As a newbie myself the best advice I can offer is find creators you like and follow them.I never, ever thought I'd give a fuck about Hawkeye, Archie, or Sabrina the Teenage Witch. How the fuck could anybody ever give a fuck about these dumbass characters?

They found a way...they found...a way...

Shaanyboi

Banned

Ant-Man by Nick Spencer
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction

Avixph

This, right here, is so key. As a newbie myself the best advice I can offer is find creators you like and follow them.I never, ever thought I'd give a fuck about Hawkeye, Archie, or Sabrina the Teenage Witch. How the fuck could anybody ever give a fuck about these dumbass characters?

They found a way...they found...a way...

Ant-Man by Nick Spencer
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
Thanks y'all.

Just picked up Vol 1 and 2 of the Rat Queens TPB and Vol 1 of Saga. Currently reading Rat Queens and it's damn good. It also helps that I've recently started playing DnD, so there's a bit of a extra connection there.

Haven't cracked open Saga yet but I'm hoping it's just as good.

Messi

Just picked up Vol 1 and 2 of the Rat Queens TPB and Vol 1 of Saga. Currently reading Rat Queens and it's damn good. It also helps that I've recently started playing DnD, so there's a bit of a extra connection there.

Saga is better

Galaxy Tab S or Apple Air 2? I am going all in on digital. After getting divorced I realized I had too many floppies as I had to move them out of my damn house.

Thanks in advance digital comic GAF.

Messi

Too early for me to agree or disagree but Saga Vol 1 was definitely great. Going to keep going with both of these series for sure.

I don't mean that as a negative against rat queens. I love rat queens but Saga is absolutely amazing. It keeps blowing my mind.

God, both are so freaking good.

Saga maybe beats out the former by a millimeter.

Dalek

Galaxy Tab S or Apple Air 2? I am going all in on digital. After getting divorced I realized I had too many floppies as I had to move them out of my damn house.

Thanks in advance digital comic GAF.

iPad Air 2 is one of the best devices I've ever owned. Too notch.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Sadly...great premise, great potential and it starts with a bang. But sadly fizzles out.
Trial of Jean Grey turned out okay, so I'm not 100% down on the idea. BotA was convoluted and outright confusing if you're not familiar with all the X-men. I'd advise people to just read the summary online.

Just picked up #1-6 of Enormous, heard good things about it
enormous-image-comics-390x600.jpg

Has anyone read Federal Bureau of Physics? Worthy checking out?

Aizo

Banned
How's ANAD Marvel shaping up?
Edit: I'm so confused about Marvel right now. I really only read Image stuff, but I used to mostly read Marvel many years ago. I picked up the first issue of A-Force, and I had no clue what was going on. How is it going to be an entry point for everyone, but they're carrying series like Ms. Marvel and Spider-Gwen over? They surely don't start all over... do they just give a summary. I don't get it.

Afrodium

Banned
How's ANAD Marvel shaping up?
Edit: I'm so confused about Marvel right now. I really only read Image stuff, but I used to mostly read Marvel many years ago. I picked up the first issue of A-Force, and I had no clue what was going on. How is it going to be an entry point for everyone, but they're carrying series like Ms. Marvel and Spider-Gwen over? They surely don't start all over... do they just give a summary. I don't get it.

For the most part it's new creative teams and new #1 issues. The books don't reboot the characters, and all old continuity is intact, but you should be able to start any ANAD book with issue #1 and be fine.

BSherrod

I've been slowing weaving my way through the Bendis Avengers books and have made it to the Heroic Age final stretch. I think I'm going to finish Brubaker's Cap and then try some Iron Man books after that. Thor is on my list as a maybe, but I've never been a fan or a detractor even though I love how he interacts with his Avengers teammates.

After Extremis with Iron Man should I just go straight through or what? If I'm not a Thor guy is the JMS stuff or God of Thunder runs the kind of stuff that even non fans of the character can enjoy?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If I'm not a Thor guy is the JMS stuff or God of Thunder runs the kind of stuff that even non fans of the character can enjoy?

If you can't enjoy Jason Aaron's God of Thunder run (at least through the god bomb arc) then you probably don't have a pulse.

BSherrod

If you can't enjoy Jason Aaron's God of Thunder run (at least through the god bomb arc) then you probably don't have a pulse.

Haha. Nice, I'll give it a shot. I'm bouncing between a lot titles and seeing that I've already read Hickman Avengers and Secret Wars that I should pick a few more books.

Also, am I crazy for Morrison's New X-Men not doing much for me? It's ok, but I don't see why it's constantly praised. Maybe it's the constant art changes.

jon bones

I've been slowing weaving my way through the Bendis Avengers books and have made it to the Heroic Age final stretch. I think I'm going to finish Brubaker's Cap and then try some Iron Man books after that. Thor is on my list as a maybe, but I've never been a fan or a detractor even though I love how he interacts with his Avengers teammates.

After Extremis with Iron Man should I just go straight through or what? If I'm not a Thor guy is the JMS stuff or God of Thunder runs the kind of stuff that even non fans of the character can enjoy?

You should check out Fraction's run on Iron Man after Aaron's Thor til God Bomb & Brubaker's Cap.

Haha. Nice, I'll give it a shot. I'm bouncing between a lot titles and seeing that I've already read Hickman Avengers and Secret Wars that I should pick a few more books.

Also, am I crazy for Morrison's New X-Men not doing much for me? It's ok, but I don't see why it's constantly praised. Maybe it's the constant art changes.

NXM has really sketchy art, and it definitely detracts from the run.

Afrodium

Banned

New X-Men didn't click with me at first, but when it did, it CLICKED. What arc are you up to?

BSherrod

New X-Men didn't click with me at first, but when it did, it CLICKED. What arc are you up to?

I just read 140, they "killed" Emma Frost and Bishop and Sage are investigating. I really liked the fight between Jean and Emma and how Morrison portrayed Jean as this insanely powerful person with huge control issues. The dynamic between Jean and Scott is well done, but I'm not much of a fan of Beak and Angel. I'll finish, but I'm looking forward to Astonishing mostly. E for Extinction was awesome though.

You should check out Fraction's run on Iron Man after Aaron's Thor til God Bomb & Brubaker's Cap.

NXM has really sketchy art, and it definitely detracts from the run.

Cool, was the Director of SHIELD stuff any good? I want to say some people skipped to get to Fraction when I did some research. And Aaron Thor is on the list. I like to read a few series together at the same time so I'll tackle these pretty quickly. I'm reading Secret Warriors too, it's pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom