• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye Wii Discussion

jufonuk said:
any news if this has online voice chat?

This is the crazy part; Black Ops seemingly will with Headset support; because there's a BO Edition of it coming out. o_O

It'd be a missed opportunity if GE doesn't have that, perhaps the delay of BO Wii (I heard there was) is also to add that in?

CaVaYeRo

I can't really see the missing dead zone options on split screen mode as a big issue because you actually have five different profiles, but there could be some pointer 'pros' who want to adjust it perfectly when they play on other's console (I'll surely do that, and that's what I was trying to do @ Eurocom and why I ended up knowing this). In my case, I bet half of my friends will be using classic stlyle, half will be fine with my ultra-sensible/fast scheme :D

And I think this 'one dead zone for everyone on split screen' thing could be memory related.

For the graphics, I spotted another thread with the story and mocap videos and someone was speaking about the visual appeal. Well, to have everything in this thread, I think everyone has to wait and see this game on a proper setup. Not the upscaled trailer footage, not the events split screen footage, but real component, 480p good screen stuff. I played/watched SP and MP GoldenEye @ E3, Gamescom and then Eurocom studios, and the latest results are WAY better, with Severnaya as a really eye-catching level.

I guess I'll have more things to tell tomorrow, when we have the new preview up.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
jufonuk said:
I wanted to watch this but night shifting and had been sleeping today only thing on there is now some wii news channel thing, the more I see of this game the more I cannot wait..

is Black Ops Really Delayed then?
What!? Source plz-

CaVaYeRo

Ok, some info may be already known:

http://www.revogamers.net/avances/goldeneye-007-impresiones-eurocom-702/1.html

Some bits in English:

- Siberia level gets pretty difficult if you ignore stealth
- Mario Club visited the studio several times to overview all accessibility and specially controls. Great help from Nintendo team, lots of Focus Testing @ Eurocom, too. Remember 3 control types (classic, pointer, beginners), 5 sensitivities + custom for pointer aiming.
- EMP hitting right when Bond reaches Severnaya. Smartphone already prepared to avoid it, but what about Bond and the falling planes/helicopters? :D
- Again, engine evolved from Dead Space: Extraction. Near textures detail, effects and destructible parts are great.
- The new tank will be a prototype, not any old war relic. You can shoot copters down.
- You go to Barcelona dance club to meet
Valentin
. Your contact is Agent García. Lots of references to Bond movies style here, extended introduction scene with no shooting and you'll even have Craig saying
"I owe you one" in Spanish
. Drinks invitations, facial scanning, lots of people dancing (good crowd effect there) and that Deadmau5 & Kaskade track being mixed in the bg.
Valentin
scene, then the action comes with a surprise...
- We played a lot of MP split screen. Proximity Mines come with one of the sniper layouts. In melee mode, you can enlarge your hands and arms :lol No exact/remember levels from N64 game. And I got killed A LOT by CCP users... I think they could have some advantage over pointer users!

GoldenEye 007 Producer Dawn Pinkney did the Severnaya demonstration. She played with the pointer because, for her, it feels more realistic :D

CaVaYeRo

oh, two more things...

online will include the 10 MP maps, unlockable weapon layoutsand rankings ala MW Reflex. And we tried some cool modifiers; with one of them you die if you touch any other character and with other you die (explode) if you stay still for 3+ secs. Awesome for anti-snipers :lol

HeySeuss

CaVaYeRo said:
oh, two more things...

online will include the 10 MP maps, unlockable weapon layoutsand rankings ala MW Reflex. And we tried some cool modifiers; with one of them you die if you touch any other character and with other you die (explode) if you stay still for 3+ secs. Awesome for anti-snipers :lol
Also awesome for anti spawn campers. Sounds great.

Boerseun

Banned
Amir0x said:
Just curious, what are you using to determine the Goldeneye brand is much stronger than he gives it credit for?

The last time the Goldeneye name was used - which I can assume is the only other piece of "Goldeneye" branding you have for reference - the game did not exactly light up the charts. And the original Goldeneye is from a brand of FPS that the vast majority of the community has moved beyond due to its archaic nature.

I'm not saying it won't sell a little, just wondering what your frame of reference is for this.

Well, for me this thread reaching 30+ pages is a clear indication of the strength of the brand. And it's not only GAF's reaction that's been massively positive -- Nintendo and Activision have managed to build a genuine sense of anticipation around this title. The nature of media coverage in general affirms this (or seems to).

It is worth noting that pretty much all the marketing is based on an approach that uses the original Goldeneye game (and to a lesser extent the movie) as a foundation, meaning it goes back to the brand strength, as opposed to building on some other facet of the product.

In my opinion, The Conduit is a good game that failed commercially because of the lack of a hook. (That game's marketing department really should have focused more on the X-Files conspiracy angle.) Goldeneye Wii has a strong hook, and that is the brand (and everything it implies).

Maybe I'm wrong about my sales predictions. But I'm anticipating Black Ops to at least equal the sales of Waw and Reflex, as the overall quality has been improving with each subsequent CoD release on Wii. At the same time, the push Goldeneye has been receiving, coupled with the love millions of gamers feel for the N64 original, should take it to lifetime sales of 2+ million units.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Lonely1 said:
What!? Source plz-

asked about this in the black ops thread
seems to be asumptions due to a tweet about more infor coming later in the year, people believe that it means anytime up til end of year, plus Nintendo UK does not have this listed as coming soon on it;s site...that and the lack of media etc compared to GE... I dunno am still hopeful it comes out on time.

Penguin

CaVaYeRo said:
oh, two more things...

So wait, are you saying that online allows for the modifiers as well or was this a local match?

CaVaYeRo

Penguin said:
So wait, are you saying that online allows for the modifiers as well or was this a local match?

No, sorry, I was talking about the online features, and then we used those modifiers on local play. I don't know whether they'll be available online or not, but I guess the online stuff should be released really soon.

brochiller said:
So is Amazon the only retailer offering an pre-order bonus/discount for this game or are there other deals out there?

Amazon has a discount? I know they have the Goldeneye DVD but I don't see a discount.

Anyway to answer your question, yes...

Best-Buy - Tag Mode
Gamestop - Invisibility Mode
Walmart- Oddjob "Cheater" T-shirt

Note, all the in-game modes will be unlocked for everyone after Dec 31.

Rush2thestart said:
Amazon has a discount? I know they have the Goldeneye DVD but I don't see a discount.

Best-Buy - Tag Mode

There's no discount, I should have said bonus "or" discount I guess. Thanks though. That Oddjob T-shirt is awesome.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Rush2thestart said:

Best-Buy - Tag Mode

Assuming these are "standard" type unlockables, won't they be unlocked for everyone once people post the unlock codes the day of release?

Side note: Someone said one of the other recent Activision Bond games had a level which was essentially the Facility. Is that true? If so, any particular reason it's not in this?

Snaku

Banned
brochiller said:
So is Amazon the only retailer offering an pre-order bonus/discount for this game or are there other deals out there?

Kmart is offering an extra Classic Controller Pro when you buy the Collector's Edition.

CaVaYeRo said:
oh, two more things...

Pff, thanks GOD that's just a modifier.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
So I lost all interest in this game when they were focussing on the Classic Controller and not implimenting WiiMote pointer controls. But are the pointer controls now in? Or do they mean something else when they say "pointer" controls? To me, it's pointless to make a Wii FPS without WiiMote pointing for aiming...

Penguin

DrGAKMAN said:
So I lost all interest in this game when they were focussing on the Classic Controller and not implimenting WiiMote pointer controls. But are the pointer controls now in? Or do they mean something else when they say "pointer" controls? To me, it's pointless to make a Wii FPS without WiiMote pointing for aiming...

Wii pointer controls were always in the game....

Sagitario

- Mario Club visited the studio several times to overview all accessibility and specially controls. Great help from Nintendo team, lots of Focus Testing @ Eurocom, too. Remember 3 control types (classic, pointer, beginners), 5 sensitivities + custom for pointer aiming.

- Again, engine evolved from Dead Space: Extraction. Near textures detail, effects and destructible parts are great.

OK, this is absolutely fantastic news :D

Penguin said:
Wii pointer controls were always in the game....

The comment from that revogamers link was interesting, the one about the pointer using being defeated by many CCP users. Might this mean that autoaim is enabled for dual analogs in multiplayer by default, you think, or was the comment specifically talking about melee mode (which would give an understandable advantage to CCP users if you had to jiggle to punch)?

gamingeek

DrGAKMAN said:

Pointer controls are in the game, IGN's latest preview focuses on them.

GoldenEye: Playing the Wii Way
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/112/1125951p1.html

"That's right, we finally wrap our mitts around the Wii Remote and nunchuk this time. And we like it."

Penguin

GameplayWhore said:
The comment from that revogamers link was interesting, the one about the pointer using being defeated by many CCP users. Might this mean that autoaim is enabled for dual analogs in multiplayer by default, you think, or was the comment specifically talking about melee mode (which would give an understandable advantage to CCP users if you had to jiggle to punch)?

Well you also have to factor in, player ability.

I mean naturally there will be great classic controller players, the same as there are terrible pointer controllers.

I will however assume if there isn't much autoaim (There is it was confirmed in the Nintendo Europe feature) that a great pointer player will beat a great Classic Control player.

gamingeek said:
Activision: GoldenEye will make a killing this Christmas
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271029

They think it will be one of the bestsellers of the year on wii.

If they market it right, I don't see any reason for this not to be true.

gamingeek said:
Activision: GoldenEye will make a killing this Christmas
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271029

They think it will be one of the bestsellers of the year on wii.

If anyone knows how to advertise, its Activision. I expect them to hit all the right notes, but they are releasing to close to Black Ops AND another Bond game. Couple that with the sentiment against the Wii when it comes to these games, I'm wary.

We'll see though. I think it could go either way.

gamingeek

Watching the special now, I think Nintendo TV is for europe only as it's produced by the ONM guys. Will type this for the US guys till someone gets u-tube up.

Video is over 6 minutes long.

Lots of footage from the BTS videos. Cool, new gameplay in an office and on a construction site.

Ooooh park level footage. Lots of good stuff. Interviews with the produces. Tank level looks great, reminds me of Disaster day of crisis. Snow level has great visuals.

Construction site shows a few frame dips, nothing to worry about though. Jungle level footage too :D Everything looks very polished and smooth.

Typing as I watch. Producer wants to make a AAA experience for 2010, says game can't be nostalgia only. Largest ever activision team for a wii game (125 team members IIRC), commitment to the highest production values. Multiplayer, stuff shown, facility brings back memories.

Motion capture footage, man wearing lots of balls etc.

Out on 5th November. So like two weeks?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
gamingeek said:
Watching the special now, I think Nintendo TV is for europe only as it's produced by the ONM guys. Will type this for the US guys till someone gets u-tube up.

Video is over 6 minutes long.

Lots of footage from the BTS videos. Cool, new gameplay in an office and on a construction site.

Ooooh park level footage. Lots of good stuff. Interviews with the produces. Tank level looks great, reminds me of Disaster day of crisis. Snow level has great visuals.

Construction site shows a few frame dips, nothing to worry about though. Jungle level footage too :D Everything looks very polished and smooth.

Typing as I watch. Producer wants to make a AAA experience for 2010, says game can't be nostalgia only. Largest ever activision team for a wii game (125 team members IIRC), commitment to the highest production values. Multiplayer, stuff shown, facility brings back memories.

Motion capture footage, man wearing lots of balls etc.

Out on 5th November. So like two weeks?

^BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD LAUGH COMMENCING NOW!!!

on a more serious note would love to check out the new footage and this jsut reinforces in my head the notion that Black ops for wii even though will be great is a mere after thought compared to this in Activisions mind,

Still cannot wait for this game to hit the shelves and give it a go.. I still reckon quite high reviews around 8-9 in some case i reckon Edge 6-7 and euro gamer the same

faridmon

`Man, this game looks promising to a degree that I really want to buy it now. I Only had Epic Micky and Sonic Colours to buy this winter as I am low on cash but I might bight in for some Goldeneye goodness.

I never thought I'd say this, but holiday season for Wii is very great this year :D

CaVaYeRo

faridmon said:
`Man, this game looks promising to a degree that I really want to buy it now. I Only had Epic Micky and Sonic Colours to buy this winter as I am low on cash but I might bight in for some Goldeneye goodness.

I never thought I'd say this, but holiday season for Wii is very great this year :D

Those are the games you have to buy, plus DK, possibly CoD AND kirby if you're in America :D

I think I'll have some cool stuff on the sound dept in some hours, similar to the mocap thing we did.

Penguin said:
NVC talks about it this week

http://wiimovies.ign.com/wii/audio/article/112/1129475/nintendovoicechat93.mp3

Starts around the 27 minute mark.

I heard this when it first came out but I'd like to just comment that one of those guys speaking (not Craig) really seemed persistent on knocking the game despite not knowing much at all about it. I dunno, it just kinda annoyed me. >_>

Anyway, game comes out in almost a week! Where are those ads Activision? :D

Top Bottom