• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

LordofPwn

It's been reported by a major pub I believe as digital being about 20% so that's why
First 20% seems a bit low, and how old was that report?

NPD doesn't figure bundled software sales either.

Take a game like Rocket League for instance, that game sold around 10 million copies in 2015 around the world across PC and PS4, yet won't ever be reflected by the NPD. That's a huge lapse in information for such a large and important market.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well I guess Super Mario Maker sold at least 53k digitally!!

Splatoon will probably cross 1mm by end of fiscal

joecanada

Take a game like Rocket League for instance, that game sold around 10 million copies in 2015 around the world across PC and PS4, yet won't ever be reflected by the NPD. That's a huge lapse in information for such a large and important market.

That wasn't an old report go back a couple npds... There are still a lot of people who never buy digital really, but yes of course games like rocket league rely on other sources. But there are indeed other sources

Edit - think about this, if npd was irrelevant why would all top companies use it

So NPD+UK+Steam puts Siege somewhere over 1.2 million in December

Normally that would be considered a great launch but Ubi wanted 7 million out of this game. Wonder what they feel about the numbers

nib95

Banned

Some examples from earlier threads.

Witcher 3: 25% of total sales http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116442 (Keep in mind this is a major PC franchise)

Ubisoft in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852745

EA in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10-15% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860335

EA 2015 with Battlefield Hardline PS4/XB1 (similar game to Halo): 20% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041340

Week one digital sales tend to be higher, but over the span of a titles release, the digital share percentage average supposedly drops down somewhat.

Welfare

So NPD+UK+Steam puts Siege somewhere over 1.2 million in December

Normally that would be considered a great launch but Ubi wanted 7 million out of this game. Wonder what they feel about the numbers

Legs helped thanks to the Xbox One bundle? They could do some nice promotions with that bundle with other Ubi games.

The following data release is sourced from The NPD Group's U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) report for December 2015.

All data disclosed to Neo GAF is fundamentally immaterial to the business of The NPD Group, Inc.

NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimate of the size of these other monetization methods.

Last Month:

U.S. November 2015 Video Game Console Hardware Unit Sales:

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4': 1539K units (+85.3% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One': 1296K units (+5.3% year-over-year)
Nintendo's 'Wii U': 240K units (+0.1% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox 360': 72K units (-76.5% year-over-year)
Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 3': 23K units (-74.1% year-over-year)

This Month:

U.S. December 2015 Video Games Console Hardware Unit Sales:

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4': 1582K units (+48.5% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One': 1376K units (+6.1% year-over-year)
Nintendo's 'Wii U': 463K units (-19.5% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox 360': 139K units (-55.0% year-over-year)
Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 3': 29K units (-83.3% year-over-year)

Here is a handy bar graph produced for your convenience:

VuBI3GY.png

October 2015 post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185308652&postcount=2812

November 2015 post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188792408&postcount=2307

Legs helped thanks to the Xbox One bundle? They could do some nice promotions with that bundle with other Ubi games.

I think the game will leg well but still 7 million seems out of reach. That seemed crazy from the beginning to me though. Hopefully they are still feeling good about a launch like that as its over 1.2 million just using those reported numbers and no digital on console included.

nib95

Banned
The following data release is sourced from The NPD Group's U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) report for December 2015.

All data disclosed to Neo GAF is fundamentally immaterial to the business of The NPD Group, Inc.

NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimate of the size of these other monetization methods.

Last Month:

U.S. November 2015 Video Game Console Hardware Unit Sales:

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4': 1539K units (+85.3% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One': 1296K units (+5.3% year-over-year)
Nintendo's 'Wii U': 240K units (+0.1% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox 360': 72K (-76.5% year-over-year)
Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 3': 23K (-74.1% year-over-year)

This Month:

U.S. December 2015 Video Games Console Hardware Unit Sales:

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4': 1582K units (+48.5% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One': 1376K units (+6.1% year-over-year)
Nintendo's 'Wii U': 463K units (-19.5% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox 360': 139K units (-55.0% year-over-year)
Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 3': 29K units (-83.3% year-over-year)

Here is a handy bar graph produced for your convenience:

wtd8KbK.png

October 2015 post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185308652&postcount=2812

November 2015 post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188826491&postcount=3101

Awesome. Thanks Mulcair! Any chance of some software numbers?

Good software sales from xbox. Including bundles it will be behind the ps4 but still. The Xbox is doing really quiet well when it comes to software sales and that's what publishers care about. It's far from a landslide in the favour of the ps4. That's something we need to not forget because we do see a lot of doom and gloom about the Xbox.

Kandinsky

I know it's a low number, but considering everything it has against it, I'm super happy with XBCX results, we did it guys, we did it :,)

Welfare

Well shit, my spreadsheets tell me Wii U is at exactly 5m. I know this is probably off by 1-2k, but I'm happy with that evenness.

Whoa did he just flat out admit this is NPD directly providing us numbers?!

Yes. Said it back in October. Pretty sure NPD realized the data would get here anyway so they asked him to drop in and give out certain data. As he says in his post which has a lovely disclaimer, the release of information here is irrelevant to their business so they don't worry about posting this. They will crack down on leakers but they are willing to give some out themselves on the site. It won't hurt them and it will help them control some of the data drop. Kind of win win for them.

The data drops read like a nicely scrubbed drop for our consumption.

Anyways, really appreciate the info Mulcair.

Whoa did he just flat out admit this is NPD directly providing us numbers?!

Yup, dude's a confirmed NDP employee. He just showed up a couple months ago saying as much. Pretty awesome to have around.

Great stuff! Xenoblade really helped the Wii U's December numbers, it looks like.

Yes. Said it back in October. Pretty sure NPD realized the data would get here anyway so they asked him to drop in and give out certain data. As he says in his post which has a lovely disclaimer, the release of information here is irrelevant to their business so they don't worry about posting this. They will crack down on leakers but they are willing to give some out themselves on the site

If that's true what would that mean for aquamarine? Or wasn't her problem with JP Morgan rather than the NDP directly?

Huh somehow missed Mulcair is confirmed from the NPD group and I'm always in these threads. Figured he had to be but nice to have confirmation

Good software sales from xbox. Including bundles it will be behind the ps4 but still. The Xbox is doing really quiet well when it comes to software sales and that's what publishers care about. It's far from a landslide in the favour of the ps4. That's something we need to not forget because we do see a lot of doom and gloom about the Xbox.

The doom and gloom is about how it does else where and how PS4 beat even here .
Still I don't think anyone would say that X1 don't do good software and hardware wise in NA or the UK.

Thanks for the graphs! I definitely overshot my predictions for the PS4/XB1 and underestimated the Wii U.

What happened in December 2014? Was there a shortage in PS4 supply or something?

Yup, dude's a confirmed NDP employee. He just showed up a couple months ago saying as much. Pretty awesome to have around.

Great stuff! Xenoblade really helped the Wii U's December numbers, it looks like.

If that's true what would that mean for aquamarine? Or wasn't her problem with JP Morgan rather than the NDP directly?

Aqua been gone. When you sign an NDA, you agree to not release info about the company you signed the NDA for. They can release what ever they want but you can't.

Well the nice thing about getting straight up numbers from NPD means we can have more accurate discussions about the industry and forcasting and breaking down the data and what it means.

donny2112

Thanks, NDP_Mulcair! So Wii U and 360 (the more mainstream oriented consoles) both had significant MOM changes. Nearly 100% MOM increase for both. This is more like we're used to seeing in PS2 gen. Then we have PS4/XB1 (the more core gamer oriented consoles) both being nearly flat MOM. Again, typical with the last few years. I wonder if PS4/XB1 will ever get to more mainstream-like December increases ("grandma effect" as others have said) or if they'll stay heavily November focused due to core buyers getting it for themselves instead of being mostly gifts.

In any case, we really need to look at Nov+Dec in recent years to compare to past gens, as the Nov/Dec dynamic has changed greatly from past gens!

Well the nice thing about getting straight up numbers from NPD means we can have more accurate discussions about the industry and forcasting and breaking down the data and what it means.

Well at least for hardware .
Software is whole other ball game even with the numbers we get
Still grateful for the info we do get .

Well at least for hardware .
Software is whole other ball game even with the numbers we get .

The part that makes software difficult is we dont often get updates on LTD. We usually have a firm grasp on launches but total sell through volume is still a bit of a grey area much of the time

May I pleeeeeeeeeeease have Halo 5 numbers? I want it to do well :|

Congrats to the game creation community for making 2015 a great success. Some great titles this year! Keep them coming.

Top Bottom