• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

desh

Vaxadrin said:
Ah, the berserkers. The hardest enemy in the game. Bust out the dabilahro, and just block -> roll cancel -> single or double X attack every time they hit you.

Also, they only use projectiles on you if they're on camera.

Wait, what? What projectiles? I did see them do something that I guess could be a projectile, but I thought that was more like him teleporting his body on to me, like using his body as a projectile.

Mamesj

Banned
Vaxadrin said:
Ah, the berserkers. The hardest enemy in the game. Bust out the dabilahro, and just block -> roll cancel -> single or double X attack every time they hit you.

Unlabored flawlessness + less than 20% > counter every attack. That makes quick work of them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
it's pretty insane that this game - literally! - turns into a new game on hard and beyond. New enemies, clone ryu, bosses with backup...

they really went above and beyond on this game when it comes to delivering on the combat. the content and depth of play is pretty impressive

Vaxadrin

Banned
I'm not ninja enough to face a berserker with < 20% health. :lol

Darunia said:
it's pretty insane that this game - literally! - turns into a new game on hard and beyond. New enemies, clone ryu, bosses with backup...

they really went above and beyond on this game when it comes to delivering on the combat. the content and depth of play is pretty impressive

...and now you understand why we eschew "7/10" and "585p" like a bats facing a lunar UT.

KurowaSan

Mamesj said:
for some reason your shots look way more blurred than the actual game is...kinda like how GTAIV looks on the PS3.

There's no denying that character model shot though-- NG2's Ryu model looks like ass compared to the Sigma model.

well, yeah, i mentioned the same thing when i captured haze screenshots, it's always gonna look better on an actual tv thanks to the extra sharpness/brightness/saturation it adds. But looking at how my sigma screenshots look that sharp and defined, or some other xbox games i've taken screenshots from, if NG2 shots look a bit blurred, it's not my fault. Guess they could look a bit better if i had hdmi port, but my 360 is an old one.

Future

Vaxadrin said:

Berserkers can be interrupted by jumpin on their heads, so you can use that to stop their constant assault. A somewhat "cheesy" way to beat them is to jump on head, air projectile (they will retaliate after leaping off their head...the air projectile keeps you in midair long enough to avoid it), then come down with a hard slash. Squeeze in some gleaming sword techniques (charged 360 slash with the Dragon Sword) and they go down pretty easily. Although on harder modes I think their health get ridiculously large

Baker

Banned
I have no idea what's in this thread, but I talked to my local Gamestop manager this afternoon and they're most likely having a Tuesday evening launch (6-ish).

RBH

BoxKicker2Turbo said:
Gamestops in the Atlanta area are getting same day delivery, although it wont be till sometime in the afternoon (3-4ish) so check with your local GS!!
(edit: sameday = Tuesday)
Baker said:
I have no idea what's in this thread, but I talked to my local Gamestop manager this afternoon and they're most likely having a Tuesday evening launch (6-ish).
Hmm, I'm tempted to just get the game at Gamestop tomorrow, but I want to use this BB gift card I have.

I wonder if Best Buy will get the game tomorrow afternoon/evening as well.

Drewsy

Banned
duckroll said:
You tried to save him. It's okay, they'll all be back after they beat NG2. No harm done. :D

After he beats NG2? lame, Mcdragon is my boy.

Oh well, I can still read his impressions on another message board.

Ifrit

When I beat the last fiend challenge (35 berserkers on VH and 40 on MN IIRC), I did it using the Vigoorian flails equiping the ring/bracelet that boost the power of your kicks, taking them one on one, jumping on their heads and the using the kick combo of the VF, rinse and repeat. It's hard as hell though

raYne

RBH said:
Hmm, I'm tempted to just get the game at Gamestop tomorrow, but I want to use this BB gift card I have.

I wonder if Best Buy will get the game tomorrow afternoon/evening as well.
Dunno about that. BB (well, on the east coast) doesn't get their Tuesday shipped games until Wednesday. Also, the BB site has the date listed as the 4th. Which confirms it.

desh

Ifrit said:
When I beat the last fiend challenge (35 berserkers on VH and 40 on MN IIRC), I did it using the Vigoorian flails equiping the ring/bracelet that boost the power of your kicks, taking them one on one, jumping on their heads and the using the kick combo of the VF, rinse and repeat. It's hard as hell though

When you say "jump on their head", what do you mean exactly? Cause, I'm pretty sure you don't mean mario style jumping on heads.

Ifrit

desh said:
When you say "jump on their head", what do you mean exactly? Cause, I'm pretty sure you don't mean mario style jumping on heads.

Jump at one of them wih x+a , then press jump again (the technique is called wind path) when your next to enemy (in this case the berserker), ryu will jump on his head leaving the enemy stunned an open for a combo

like at the beginning of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK79bfo7tuw

desh

Ifrit said:
Jump at one of them wih x+a , then press jump again (the technique is called wind path) when your next to enemy (in this case the berserker), ryu will jump on his head leaving the enemy stunned an open for a combo

Wow, I am currently going though the game on Very Hard, and I never knew about that technique.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Ifrit said:

Man. I need to hurry up and finish normal so I can fight all of the cool stuff. :( Thats the exact spot where I am at, right now.

I use that move faithfully, even up against smaller foes.

Mamesj

Banned
Ifrit said:

that's impressive. I saw a vid of someone beating the first Doku with that set up-- flails+kick/throw armlet. I've tried it, but got destroyed. That Berserker challenge vid is great too. Bigalski always delivers.

This thread will be my new home for the next few weeks. NINJA GAIDEN 2, FUCK YEAH.

Victrix

*beard*
Blimblim said:
Btw I don't know if these have already been posted or not, but here are two five minutes long videos showing some of the content that will be included in a one hour long documentary about the game

What, where, when?

holy fuck 30 seconds in and there's already Haatsumi and Steven Hayes talking about Ninja Gaiden?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

oh god I'm tempted to see Bullshido's reaction to this :lol

In Ninja Gaiden, the Lunar was basically a staff. In Ninja Gaiden II, the Lunar is a staff with weights and spikes attached to each end. You can see how this would be more lethal.
:lol

sandman

Banned
WTF look at the bold ones.

60 achievements in total, 22 secret.

Mastered Reverse Wind - 5G
Successfully performed the Revers Wind Technique

Mastered Furious Wind - 5G
Successfully performed the Furious Wind Technique

Mastered Shadowless Footsteps - 5G
Successfully performed the Shadowless Footsteps Technique

Mastered Flying Swallow - 5G
Successfully performed the Flying Swallow Technique

Mastered Flying Bird Flip - 5G
Successfully performed the Flying Bird Flip Technique

Mastered Obliteration Technique - 5G
Successfully performed the Obliteration Technique

Mastered Ultimate Technique - 5G
Successfully performed the Ultimate Technique

Mastered Ultimate Guidance - 5G
Successfully performed the Ultimate Guidance Technique

Mastered Counter Attack - 5G
Successfully performed the Counter Attack Technique

Mastered Unrivaled Soaring - 5G
Successfully performed the Ultimate Soaring Technique

Mastered Invisible Path - 5G
Successfully performed the Invisible Path Technique

The Art Of Inferno - 5G
Successfully performed the Art of the Inferno Ninpo

The Art of the Wind Blades - 5G
Successfully performed the Art of the Wind Blades Ninpo

The Art of the Flame Phoenix - 5G
Successfully performed the Art of the Flame Phoenix Ninpo

The Art of the Piercing Void - 5G
Successfully performed the Art of the Piercing Void Ninpo

Vanquished Alexei - 15G
Defeat Alexei in battle

Vanquished Volf - 15G
Defeat Volf in battle

Vanquished Zedonius - 15G
Defeat Zedonius in battle

Vanquished Elizébet - 15G
Defeat Elizébet in battle

Vanquished Genshin - 15G
Defeat Genshin in battle

Way of the Acolyte - 100G
Complete the game on the Path of the Acolyte

Way of the Warrior - 100G
Complete the game on the Path of the Warrior

Way of the Mentor - 100G
Complete the game on the Path of the Mentor

Way of the Master Ninja - 100G
Complete the game on the Path of the Master Ninja

Karma of the Warrior - 20G
Obtain 10 Crystal Skully

Karma of the Mentor - 20G
Obtain 20 Crystal Skulls

Karma of the Master Ninja - 20G
Obtain all of the Crystal Skulls

Feat of a hundred Slashes - 20G
Achieve a 100-hit combo with any weapon

Feat of a Thousand Obliterations - 20G
Defeat 1000 enemies using Obliteration Techniques

Feat of Ultimate Destruction - 20G
Defeat 1000 enemies using Ultimate Techniques

Dragon Sword Master - 5G
Complete the game using only the Dragon Sword

Lunar Staff Master - 5G
Complete the game using only the Lunar Staff

Falcon's Talons Master - 5G
Complete the game using only the Falcon's Talons

Dual Katana Master - 5G
Complete the game using only the Dragons Claw and Tigers Fang

Kusari-gama Master - 5G
Complete the game using only the Kusari-gama

Eclipse Scythe Master - 5G
Complete the game using only the Eclipse Scythe

Tonfa Master - 5G
Complete the game using only the Tonfa

Vigoorian Flail Master - 5G
Complete the game using only the Vigoorian Flail

Secret achievements

Finished Chapter 1 - 10G
Finished Chapter 1, "Sky City Tokyo".

Finished Chapter 2 - 10G
Finished Chapter 2, "The Castle of the Dragon".

One of White
Purified the site of the the first Test of Valor. (yes, it says "the the first test" in the description..)

Finished Chapter 3
Finished Chapter 3, "Thunderclap of Catastrophe"

Two of Black - 15G
"Purified the site of the the second Test of Valor" - no thats not a typo it says "the the" lol

Three of Blue - 15G
"Purified the site of the the thurd Test of Valor"

Finished Chapter 5 - 10G
"Finished Chapter 5, "The Aqua Capital"

Four of Green - 15G
"Purified the site of the the fourth Test of Valor"

Five of Yellow - 15G
"Purified the site of the the fifth Test of Valor"

Finished Chapter 7 - 10G
"Finished Chapter 7, "The Flying Fortress Daedalus"

goldenpp72

if you get the warrior achievement first it will show up before the acolyte one even if it were automatic, proving you just boosted the score and thats it.

No worries.

KurowaSan said:
well, yeah, i mentioned the same thing when i captured haze screenshots, it's always gonna look better on an actual tv thanks to the extra sharpness/brightness/saturation it adds. But looking at how my sigma screenshots look that sharp and defined, or some other xbox games i've taken screenshots from, if NG2 shots look a bit blurred, it's not my fault. Guess they could look a bit better if i had hdmi port, but my 360 is an old one.

your captures are fine (haze was blurry as shit). sigma may be a jaggy ass game with not so great textures, but it is crisp looking.

judging from the demo i'm afraid that i can't say the same for ng2.

i also agree that ryu's sigma model looks better.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Falcon's Talons Master - 5G
Complete the game using only the Falcon's Talons

After playing the demo, this would be a pleasure to do, gotta love those claws

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
yes, as is shown in bold by the achievement list above :p

I agree, those are lame. Wasn't NG the game that had the 'create your own ach and submit it' contest? then why are all the achievements so horribly uncreative

This was posted today - http://games.kikizo.com/features/itagaki_iv_jun08_p1.asp

As usual Itagaki is trashing Sigma on second page.

Other than that:

Kikizo: You mentioned to us before that Saito-san would begin production work on Code Cronus once this game was finished, so I am wondering if that has now begun?

Itagaki: So in terms of what I'm going to be doing in the future, we'll be releasing more information probably some time around late June or early July kind of time frame, so you can expect to hear more around then.

Kikizo: Dead or Alive 5, obviously you have announced it - do you think it will be another Xbox 360 exclusive, will you work with Microsoft once more?

Itagaki: That will be part of our announcement later in the summer.

wow. that achievement list is both uncreative and unnecessary. preform ninpo which is the very difficult act of pushing two buttons GET AN ACHIEVEMENT. you earned it!

want all the achievements? gonna have to beat the game at least 8 times while using only one weapon each run through!

Kai Ozu

WickedLaharl said:
wow. that achievement list is both uncreative and unnecessary. preform ninpo which is the very difficult act of pushing two buttons GET AN ACHIEVEMENT. you earned it!

want all the achievements? gonna have to beat the game at least 8 times while using only one weapon each run through!

It's great for people that love this game.

Mamesj

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
personally i think that's a poorly thought out achievement. let me guess, there's one just like that for every weapon?

then again, all achievement lists are like that--no imagination at all. "Kill X guys with X weapon" "beat (X,Y,Z) mode" etc.

They should have stuff like "Izuna drop a limbless body" and "Get naked and growl like a werewolf during the end credits"

Don't you have another forum that you should be posting at too?

:(

I forgot about that place :lol sorry :(

USD

After having played the demo some 10+ times, here are a few things I noticed:

1. Enemies can't knock you out of your charge stance as well as the first game. You're vulnerable initially, the same as the first game. However, once you see the blue aura surrounding your weapon (before you hit level 1 charge), the only moves that can knock you out of the charge stance are clearing moves that knock Ryu to the ground (typically combo finishers) or throws. However...

2. I'd say on the whole UTs are much less effective than in the first. Most are long combo strings focusing on a single enemy, with Ryu constantly moving foward or launching himself into the air, pushing the enemy you're UTing away from all the others. You'll be getting one or two kills most of the time, except with the scythe. The Eclipse Scythe's standard UT is by far the best. Even though it's linear, it has a near instant start-up (and finish), doesn't require contact to initiate, and is instant kill on everything it touches (of course these are one of the weaker enemies, can't say how it applies to later ones). Most of other UTs, save the Lunar's standard UT's flaming finish and its 360 UT's start up, are all flash and ineffective at crowd control.

3. It won't happen with all your moves, but there are a few combos involving Y presses you'll have trouble pulling off, as OTs tend to take priority in some cases. One example, the Dragon Sword's ->XX->YY->Y. Assuming second hit tends to knock off limbs, and unless you start attacking another enemy, the first Y press will most likely going into an OT.

4. Loss of a second limb is instant kill. You can still kill enemy and leave them with three limbs intact. It seems nearly impossible to kill an enemy and leave all limbs intact.

5. In the first game, you could hold block to prevent pick-up of nearby essence. While you can do this in combat in NGII, once combat ends you'll absorb all nearby essence orbs, regardless of whether you're holding block or not.

6. There's no limit to how much non-regenerative health you can have, I've managed to get it below one-tenth of the original health amount. With careful play, you could probably get it even lower.

7. Enemies are relentless and will chases down across multiple areas, even beyond the areas they spawn. Pursuing enemies, however, will disappear when you reach set fight areas (the ones that block off until all enemies are killed). In some cases, new enemies won't spawn when you reach new areas, but I did manage to have some 13 ninjas in one area. There was noticeable slowdown when doing so.

8. Flying Swallow is very gimp. In the last game (Black at least) a close-range Flying Swallow would be an instant kill on weaker enemies. Now it usually takes the full triple Flying Swallow to get the same effect in II, and the triple one is fairly inaccurate. This of course being a very good thing, though the FS is still quite abusable (this is the easiest difficulty level however).

9. I'll have to play Black to confirm, but it seems like the splash damage radius of the Izuna Drop is smaller as well. Not too sure about this one. Regardless, the splash radius is still pretty ineffective, essentially considering the larger swarms of enemies.

10. On the whole I'd say enemies are more resilient, but it also makes me wonder about the weapon power. In the last game, upgrading weapons added new moves as well as increasing weapon power. I suspect now that weapon power is constant, most likely for balance reasons, though obviously you'll get access to more powerful combos with upgrades. Can't confirm this yet though.

Mamesj

Banned
USD said:
*awesome stuff*.

First real review of NGII is up.

Thanks for all the juicy info :D

Edit: I forgot how shitty the 80 Ogre fight in hard mode in Sigma is. Seriously, most boring fight ever and actually pretty cheap. If there's a candidate for one scene that needs an overhead/panned out camera in NG, it's this one.

Vaxadrin said:
Don't abandon the Colonies thread, Mamesj. We need you. I need you.

no worries, I'll be posting other places. but I'll be here to laugh at those elementary kids who play easy mode.

Drewsy

Banned
Mamesj said:
I forgot about that place :lol sorry :(

smh
kiss-1.gif

Draft, Altogether Andrews, and Tieno all started posting there. You should come back.

USD said:
4. Loss of a second limb is instant kill. You can still kill enemy and leave them with three limbs intact. It seems nearly impossible to kill an enemy and leave all limbs intact.

Then how is it that I'm able to obliterate an enemy execution style w/ the Dragon sword who's lost both legs? I don't think you're able to obliterate recently dead enemies, right?

Top Bottom