• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Atrophis said:
The matchmaking in this game is...interesting.

First game and it matches me to TS 31 player. Yeah. Second TS 21. WTF? :lol
It takes a few matches for the system to know what your skill level is.

Daigoro

yay! finally bought Chaos Rising from the THQ sale a little while ago (still waiting on that code THQ...) i missed it during the Steam summer sale.

cant wait to check it out. been too long since i played this game.

Lyphen said:
And I just want to say: Thank you Relic for the Army Painter. So much. I've been having trouble getting a colour scheme for my Space Hulk genestealers, but I've finally settled on something thanks to that featured. A lot easier than trial an error with real paints. :lol

genestealers for use in regular multiplayer games? there isnt any actual Space Hulk gameplay at all in CR, right?

god i want a good Space Hulk game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Daigoro said:
genestealers for use in regular multiplayer games? there isnt any actual Space Hulk gameplay at all in CR, right?

god i want a good Space Hulk game.
Well, you do get timed missions in a Space Hulk during the course of CR, but nothing like the board game. And I was using the army painter to get a colour scheme for my real 20th anniversary models.

Daigoro

MAN! im ashamed that i didnt purchase Chaos Rising on day one like i had wanted to. such a fun game.

when i added it to my steam account today, i had an estimated download time of 2 seconds. :lol i think it took less. convenient!

anyways, ive only played through 2 levels, but the game is a great expansion. loving the new touches, cant wait to gear up and get busy.

been months since ive played The Last Stand as well. gotta get back into that.

Lyphen said:
Well, you do get timed missions in a Space Hulk during the course of CR, but nothing like the board game. And I was using the army painter to get a colour scheme for my real 20th anniversary models.

ah i see. thanks.

man i never did get my new Space Hulk box set... still have a ton of the older 1st and 2nd rev sets though. love that game.

LIGHT DA FUSE!
kbluddflagg1.jpg

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet on GAF. New Ork Centric exp? YES PLEASE!

*EDIT*

Thread speculation on official DOW forums: http://community.dawnofwar2.com/forums/topic/42274

dLMN8R

Just beat the Chaos Rising campaign today! Far, far more enjoyable than the base game, yet even the base game was tremendously fun.

Draft

All the SC2 I've been playing makes me want to hop back into some DOW2 action. New Xpac would be tits. How about we get to play as the Orks instead of the stupid Blood Ravens, though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
This game is pretty awesome. I'm at the tail end of the vanilla campaign and I'll hopefully wrap it up and star Chaos Rising in a few days. I kind of wish there was a New Game+ so I could do some more loot whoring, though.

thefil

Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking of playing more of this after SC2. Wish there were more micro-centric missions in SC2 and this would scratch that itch.

I still haven't finished the vanilla campaign, as I got bored near the end with the repetitiveness. Does Chaos Rising have more variety?

Mrbob

Yes.

Chaos Rising has about 15 scripted campaign missions. No repetition like the original game. Campaign is shorter but more unique.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
thefil said:
Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking of playing more of this after SC2. Wish there were more micro-centric missions in SC2 and this would scratch that itch.

I still haven't finished the vanilla campaign, as I got bored near the end with the repetitiveness. Does Chaos Rising have more variety?

Yea Chaos Rising has none of the random "defend" or "kill this" missions, everything is scripted and thus is paced better.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Damn i need to start playing this again. I lost my save and was like 2-3 missions from the end i think. Did some of the optional super boss type missions.

Danneee

I'm kind of getting tired of the vanilla campaign and keep hearing great things about CR, should I fight through to the end and risk getting too tired of it or start playing CR?

Enosh

markot said:
Sure its a new expansion?

Could be a new MP mode >.>?
well, the last time they did the picture per mail thingy it was a new expansion

maybe an IG one with them fighthing against orks?

the games con thingy is right around the corner so I assume they will unveil something there, or anounce it a bit sooner but show more info there

and after playing SC2 I also had to go and replay the chaos rising campaign :D

oh and kinda relevant:
a CM at relic news posted that we should get some more Space Marine info this week, yay!

ArjanN

Danneee said:
I'm kind of getting tired of the vanilla campaign and keep hearing great things about CR, should I fight through to the end and risk getting too tired of it or start playing CR?

You're better off finishing the original campaign first. CR will let you import your character from the origal campaign then. Just skip the generic sidequest missions unless you're underlevelled.

Sullen said:
Ugh, please don't add more shit to a race already in the game. *Yawn* Lets add something fun like Necrons.

Yeah, I'd rather see them add Necton or Tau or something than add to a faction that's already there.

Danneee

ArjanN said:
You're better off finishing the original campaign first. CR will let you import your character from the origal campaign then. Just skip the generic sidequest missions unless you're underlevelled.

And if I dont import a character, does the game compensate that by any means? Eh, what the heck, I'm just bored with the original campaign now.

Enosh

Danneee said:
And if I dont import a character, does the game compensate that by any means? Eh, what the heck, I'm just bored with the original campaign now.
if you don't import your characters will start at level 18 with some crappy gear, but you get new better gear quite soon, so...

BeeDog

Alright, my copy of Chaos Rising arrived today, and I've been trying to figure out how to unlock this Exclusive Wargear crap. The game box has one serial number which I registered in Steam, and if I right-click/start Chaos Rising Steam shows a new serial.

I tried following the steps on the little pamphlet:

- Made a THQ account
- Went to Game Registration
- Picked Chaos Rising from the list and hit Submit (without entering anything in the Retail Code 1/2/3/4 fields)
- Then the "My Games" list shows yet another key (unrelated to the original CD key nor the Steam key)
- I try putting this into the LIVE Redeem Code page, but it doesn't work.

Has this offer expired or something?

BeeDog

Lumine said:
You have to activate it through Games For Windows Live thing if I remember correctly.

That's what I said and did, doesn't work. The error message that the LIVE application spits out (in Swedish) is:

"Det uppstod ett problem med erbjudandet som är relaterat till koden."

Which translates to:

"An error occurred with the offer that's tied to the code."

Atrophis

I believe they added all the exclusive wargear into the loot tables for everyone to get. Maybe thats why it doesnt work?

As for next expansion i think it would be nice to get a different race to play for campaign but would have though they would add an entirely new race to do it with.

Jinaar

I've owned this game for over a year and still haven't pasted the first campaign (got about 60% thru it before I let my ADD kick in again).... BUTTT for a full week since SC2 came out I have been playing Last Stand exclusively, a few thousand points away from having a level 19 Chaos Sorcerer.

Last Stand is the best multi-player horde style mode I have played in ages. I've only gotten to the 20th wave three times only so far, never have passed it yet with the group I had.

Are there any GAFFERS that play consistently enough on Last Stand? Would love to play with more experienced players.

Think this week I am going to focus on Last Stand and the single player Campaign so I can start on the Chaos Rising Campaign.

And Fuck the E3 2010 SPACE MARINE Trailer. I am already addicted to a game that isn't even out yet. How is that possible.. DAKKA DAKKA!

Zzoram

Jinaar said:
I've owned this game for over a year and still haven't pasted the first campaign (got about 60% thru it before I let my ADD kick in again).... BUTTT for a full week since SC2 came out I have been playing Last Stand exclusively, a few thousand points away from having a level 19 Chaos Sorcerer.

Last Stand is the best multi-player horde style mode I have played in ages. I've only gotten to the 20th wave three times only so far, never have passed it yet with the group I had.

Are there any GAFFERS that play consistently enough on Last Stand? Would love to play with more experienced players.

Think this week I am going to focus on Last Stand and the single player Campaign so I can start on the Chaos Rising Campaign.

And Fuck the E3 2010 SPACE MARINE Trailer. I am already addicted to a game that isn't even out yet. How is that possible.. DAKKA DAKKA!

Last Stand is a simplified version of about a hundred Warcraft III custom maps in the "Hero Defense" genre (which eventually evolved into DOTA). WCIII Hero Defense maps are actually more complex, usually you earn money between waves of enemies and can use that to buy items, which can combine in recipes to make better items. While Last Stand only has about 20 waves, almost all of the Hero Defense maps were much longer than that.

The main difference is that WCIII didn't have persistant items to carry between maps, so you start fresh each game. However, there was more item variety within a single map than the whole persistant system of Last Stand.

Jinaar

Zzoram said:
Last Stand is a simplified version of about a hundred Warcraft III custom maps in the "Hero Defense" genre (which eventually evolved into DOTA). WCIII Hero Defense maps are actually more complex, usually you earn money between waves of enemies and can use that to buy items, which can combine in recipes to make better items. While Last Stand only has about 20 waves, almost all of the Hero Defense maps were much longer than that.

The main difference is that WCIII didn't have persistant items to carry between maps, so you start fresh each game. However, there was more item variety within a single map than the whole persistant system of Last Stand.

Whatever Last Stand does, it does it well enough for me. I never got into DOTA or Hero Defense or Heros of Newerth(Heroes of Hewerth was the only one I played out of all those examples, and I didn't like it). EDIT: the comment of having more item variety is not a plus for me when it comes to getting said items while trying to fight at the same time. My brain cannot cope with that. I rather come into a situation with a pre-selected repertoire of items and just start ravaging shit. I care not for income or shops to complicate my game experience.

I think the customization of different armor/weapons/relics with the leveling system works for me. The different waves are great as you can determine how and where you will fight accordingly. Plus the different units with the higher waves make it far more entertaining, as it induces abit of fear and anxiety, knowing full well some big ass mother f**ckers are coming up are going to rip you to shreds.

I still stand by my comment/opinion that for me Last Stand has been the most entertaining Horde style MP experience in a long time, personally. But then again, props to EPIC in changing their horde mode abit recently. The new waves makes that game mode way more intense now too.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Enosh said:
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2: Retribution (PC)

well well well, what do we have here :D
What what.

I can not wait, to see where the story goes from where it left off. Time for some renegade shit!

Also, is Imperial Guard coming? There was so much voice work done in Chaos Rising, you know they've been getting the IG ready for multiplayer.

Sober

K.Jack said:
What what.

I can not wait, to see where the story goes from where it left off. Time for some renegade shit!

Also, is Imperial Guard coming? There was so much voice work done in Chaos Rising, you know they've been getting the IG ready for multiplayer.
As much as I love the IG I really don't think they would fit in the whole gameplay style of DoW2 as a playable race (particularly the MP setting), as the DoW1 incarnation is probably something that seems to make more sense. Even if you are playing the Cadians. Unless the standard unit is Kasrkins or something and it all goes up from there.

Meteorain

Recently re-installed the game and have been trying to play Eldar. For the life of me, I just cannot play them really :(

I might have to deviate back to good ole SM's.

remz

Meteorain said:
Recently re-installed the game and have been trying to play Eldar. For the life of me, I just cannot play them really :(

I might have to deviate back to good ole SM's.
Man I had the reverse, decent eldar player, tried to play SM and failed.

Meteorain

remz said:
Man I had the reverse, decent eldar player, tried to play SM and failed.

Well I could play them, before I had a break, but suddenly I just became shit at them. Maybe I just need to give it some more goes.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Sober said:
As much as I love the IG I really don't think they would fit in the whole gameplay style of DoW2 as a playable race (particularly the MP setting), as the DoW1 incarnation is probably something that seems to make more sense. Even if you are playing the Cadians. Unless the standard unit is Kasrkins or something and it all goes up from there.
All points well taken, but the Imperial Guard has a huge following in the DoW fanbase. Relic will do it for the sales, if nothing else.

There is a way in which IG does fit into DoW2's MP, in the sense that they already have a ton of hero options. Just going off of OG DoW's Command Squad, it's already set up to be Commander (Offense), Psyker (Range), Priest (Offensive Support).

The singleplayer has already shown vanilla Soldiers, and Stormtroopers, so I'm thinking that there's your tier 1 and 1.5 selections.

I also think that this will be the last race added to the game. Any more races and balance may be impossible.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PantherAttacks said:
Wow. I can't play DoW2 on the PC anymore because my xbox live gold subscription expired. Words cannot express how shitty GFWL is.
Did you use your credit card to get an XBL Gold subscription? Because that's pretty much like lubing up and bending over in a prison shower.

markot

Banned
PantherAttacks said:
Wow. I can't play DoW2 on the PC anymore because my xbox live gold subscription expired. Words cannot express how shitty GFWL is.
Lawllllllllll......

Wish they would redo Dow and ditch GFWL and just use Steam or even their own stuff. GFWL is the worst thing ever since the plague. The plague!

PantherAttacks said:
Seriously? Oh WOW!

I always thought it to be obnoxious but that is a different level altogether.

Top Bottom