• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

neoism

I fucking swear if I go in to Gamestop Sunday I they don't let me buy this just because I didn't reserve it.... :( GODDAMN Nintendo WHY do you have to release games on Sunday. :/

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Sinoox

Banned
That European and Japanese artwork on the box is infinitely better than what the US and Australia have to put up with. What were they thinking?! :(

And if anyone is actually playing this for the first time...man, I envy you.

wrowa

Mank said:
Wait, this is Europe or something right? They didn't run out of CDs 2 days before the game is released, right? Planning on trying to grab this at Best Buy as soon as I can, but I'm not exactly sure I'll be able to get it right away. But seeing as the CD is my main reason for picking the thing up now, I sure as hell better get it.
Europe. The European release date was the 17th.

There's been no word at all that NoE's out of stock, though. Currently the website triggers an error when you try to register the game, but that could have a million reasons. There's no need to jump to conclusions just yet.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I registered at around 11:30am. (EU) No problems during any stage of the process, and i got my email saying i've registered.

Thoraxes

I just think it's weird that a year ago I saw everyone complaining that they would be disappointed in the game if they changed it, and then they didn't change it and people are arguing.

I mean, sure, I wanted an orchestrated soundtrack too, and it sounds like at least the reduced scores were done, but it's ok to me. I couldn't see them spending a lot of budget on a 3DS game anyways. As a studio musician (like in an orchestra or chamber groups), they would've paid a lot of money for the recording sessions... because we don't work for cheap

Either way, I think the audio has a nice charm to it, and brings back all the right feelings for me, anyways.

Also, I checked my Target today while I was going to pick up the Back to the Future Collection on Bluray (only $15!), and it turns out they only received 6 copies, and did not sell any copies early. Looks like i'll be waking up early to make sure i'm there right when the store opens.

Also, I wish when people remade games, they would remake them like Nintendo and Grezzo did. Also whoever is doing Starfox 3D, them too.

rhino4evr

The original Midi soundtrack is amazing..anyone wanting orchestrated music in a game that didn't need it is missing the point here. Those folks should be MORE upset that the geometry hasn't really changed. It's meant to feel nostalgic yet new. If they went crazy and changed everything it wouldn't be nearly as nostalgic. The game is considered one of the best of all time..even today. This is nothing but a Giant victory lap for Nintendo..and they totally deserve it.

neoism said:
I fucking swear if I go in to Gamestop Sunday I they don't let me buy this just because I didn't reserve it.... :( GODDAMN Nintendo WHY do you have to release games on Sunday. :/

I'm sure you'll be fine. In my experience they usually just try to guilt trip you for not preordering but end up having plenty of extra copies for you to buy the game. You shouldn't have to worry, especially for a high profile title like OoT.

wrowa

Cindres said:
I registered at around 11:30am. (EU) No problems during any stage of the process, and i got my email saying i've registered.
Same here.

The error message that's being triggered now sounds more like some obscure system error than like being out of stock though. And since they never mentioned any stock to begin with, I don't think people need to worry already.

Jackano

Thoraxes said:
I mean, sure, I wanted an orchestrated soundtrack too, and it sounds like at least the reduced scores were done, but it's ok to me. I couldn't see them spending a lot of budget on a 3DS game anyways. As a studio musician (like in an orchestra or chamber groups), they would've paid a lot of money for the recording sessions... because we don't work for cheap

They actually started with orchestral soundtrack but Koji Kondo said it wasn't faithfull to the original game music so they just rebuilt the original music.
And Nintendo is planning worlwide almost free concerts so this time, the cost of an orchestral OST wasn't a problem.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thoraxes said:
I just think it's weird that a year ago I saw everyone complaining that they would be disappointed in the game if they changed it, and then they didn't change it and people are arguing.

I mean, sure, I wanted an orchestrated soundtrack too, and it sounds like at least the reduced scores were done, but it's ok to me. I couldn't see them spending a lot of budget on a 3DS game anyways. As a studio musician (like in an orchestra or chamber groups), they would've paid a lot of money for the recording sessions... because we don't work for cheap.
This might be of interest to you:

Yokota: Earlier, we talked about how back then games could only stream sound in most cases, and we were under technological constraints this time, too, so at first we decided to stream it. It was difficult technologically to change the music in realtime to fit different game situations.

For that reason, at first I decided to spruce it up by arranging slightly more up-to-date music. But when I'd done about half, Kondo-san suddenly said, "Make sure you stay faithful to the Nintendo 64 sound."

Iwata: Oh. (laughs)

Yokota: So I gathered together the development team and said, "We've got to remake all the music. We need to recreate the Nintendo 64 sound, so let's do our best!" Then we set about redoing it all.

Iwata: You decided to faithfully recreate the Nintendo 64 sound.

Iwata: Movie music is compartmentalized at the start and made in line with the pre-determined length of the video. In the case of games, players interactively move the character, and the music interactively responds.

Yokota: What Kondo-san was most insistent about this time for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D was that interactivity. He said, "You absolutely must recreate that!"

Kondo: That's right.

Yokota: So even though you were arranging new music…

Iwata: Babam! He overturns the tea table! (laughs)

Yokota: Yep! (laughs)

Kondo: But I didn't have any intention of overturning any tea tables! I mean, if you changed the sound like that, it wouldn't be Ocarina of Time!
Source: Iwata Asks: Ocarina of Time 3DS (Sound)

uchihasasuke said:
we should have confirmation soon but in the meantime, don't get the poacher's saw since that was confirmed to be the trigger to that glitch (becoming adult doesn't trigger it)
Thank you. :)

Foxix said:
Yeah I get that double vision/ghosting crap at almost any setting so I usually just say fuck it and crank it up. I'm not so sure if it's actually my eyes or something to do with the screen since it seems to vary depending on the angle I hold the screen at.

Posting to say thank you. I get the double vision if the screen is at any slight angle, or I tilt/adjust my seating whilst playing. I've been keeping the 3d to a minimum and hoping to get used to it. Pilotwings is the worst for doubling up of the games I've played, but I actually think Zelda is much better in its 3d implementation.

After what you posted, I thought stuff it, I'm going to crank the 3d up to max, and after a painful few minutes, my eyes actually seem to prefer the deeper 3d effect. i still get slight ghosting on occasion, but the deeper 3d seems to force my eyes to work harder, and I certainly get less double vision.

Loving the game, It really does look beautiful in comparison to the N64 version, super crisp.

I'm affected by the euro CD issue, can't register as it says an error has occured. Not gonna sweat it and just try over the weekend a few times...

I've still haven't bought a battery pack of sorts to increase my battery life come to think of it. If I enjoy the 3D in this game (most likely) then I need to fork out more money.

low-G

neoism said:

Yea, they'd better not give me trouble. At least I have 4 stores to sample.

grkazan12

Looking to get this tomorrow or Sunday, just got two questions.

1.Is anyone selling this early in the U.S.?
and
2. Are there any deals for this game at brick n mortar stores?

So excited to play this again with a fresh coat of paint and 3D.

rhino4evr

neoism said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
If you have a Walmart, Best Buy, or Target nearby you should be fine. It's very rare when a game sells out on it's first day. If they sell out it's usually towards the end of the first
Week..and by then they order more copies.

Downhome

neoism said:

Think of it as you get the game two days early!

Or four days late, whichever.

Sgt.Pepper said:
What? I don't remember Ocarina being less vague than Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess. I don't understand this complain.
There's a lot less hand holding in Ocarina than in Wind Waker (a disgrace in terms of puzzles) and its a lot more open than Twilight Princess.
shadyspace said:
Huh. I'd love to hear why Nintendo thought it necessary to make Epona non-essential then since that was a such a huge part of OoT. Also, I wonder if anyone actually did their first playthrough without Epona. That'd be weird as hell.
Going by memory i think i did my first playthrough withouth it, as a matter of fact i think it was this year or at last years end that i saw epona jumping in Gerudo valley. Also i finished fire temple before Forest the first time if i remember correctly.

So i have a question: Can you reach Spirit Temple before finishing Forest? Since Epona jumps the bridge and all that.

I need this GameStop...

0617111623_1i9rg.jpg

0617111623acahz.jpg

0617111624jbhp.jpg

0617111624ayxfc.jpg

Scum

Picked it up today from my local Tesco before work this afternoon. I chuckle at the fact that a remake of a 13yr old game utilizes the 3D effects and Gyro so damn well. :lol

This game was fuck awesome back in 1998 and it's still fuck awesome now. Excuse me, lads, I'm off to force feed a Komodo dragon! :p

McNum

Either I'm getting sloppy at Zelda or Ocarina is more difficult than I remember. The boss fight against
King Dodongo
actually turned into a fight rather than the beatdown I remember it as. That does no bode well for the later bosses...

Also, curse whoever decided to remap the songs. <, ^, >, <, ^, >... Why did nothing happen? Oh, right. It's A, Y, X, A, Y, X now. Stupid muscle memory. I actually have to look up the songs now.

syoaran

wrowa said:
Europe. The European release date was the 17th.

There's been no word at all that NoE's out of stock, though. Currently the website triggers an error when you try to register the game, but that could have a million reasons. There's no need to jump to conclusions just yet.

I think its safe to assume that the sooner you register, the better. So keep trying. As for stock, I'd imagine its quite a low quality batch CD so stock shouldnt be much of an issue as long as you register before the end of the weekend.

Playing OoT makes me desire MM more and more. I feel like the two games are a package and need to be on the system now. I'm also hoping, but doubting, that Wind Waker and a original Zelda makes it onto the system sooner rather than later. Playing this game on the platform makes me realise that only MHP comes close to scope in an open world portable adventure game.

neoism

DeathbyVolcano said:
I wish Amazon would ship this early :(
yeah I use Amazon for everything, but it's really not their fault US mail sucks, so I'm forced to use gamestop... Nintendo should have releases it the 17th everywhere.. :/

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Just got finished playing through the Kokiri forest and stopped when I got to the Deku tree. The improved graphics and textures really are amazing, and the 3D, while not in your face is used very liberally. Screenshots and non 3D videos do not do it justice. Looking around by turning the 3DS instead of the analog stick feels natural and is great improvement. I'm pretty impressed so far.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm well the girl at Target tried to tell me only 100,000 of these are being made, needless to say I didn't believe her. Hope I can walk in and get one Sunday though, she said they were only getting 4.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm well the girl at Target tried to tell me only 100,000 of these are being made, needless to say I didn't believe her. Hope I can walk in and get one Sunday though, she said they were only getting 4.

100,000 wouldn't even be enough for one at each store...

Deadly Cyclone said:

In any case, 100k is less than what Japan is getting, and we're the bigger fans over here.

I don't think this is true but fffff if they do this.

Top Bottom