• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Refyref

XaosWolf

(Click images for fullsize)
ヤドリ (Sauce)

9IvYk5L.jpg

Gosh dang. Those are awesome! =O

Hmm... the amount of intelligence for anthropomorphized animals seem to be something that can vary wildly between individual pieces of media. Ever thought what should be the "right" level?

There is no "right" in fantasy. :p That's what makes it fun.

You can have giant building-sized dragons with the intelligence of dogs, human-level intelligence, or an intelligence that's the result of a gestalt hive-mind that operates on a quantum substrate of reality so each dragon is actually just one facet of thousands all representing a single entity's consciousness.

Really all boils down to context.

I guess what matters is probably actually making sure that you put in effort when it comes to world-building. Sometimes, when dozing off in bed, I start thinking about how things should go together in a fantasy world of my own.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People care less about world building than you might think.

It's a common pitfall of fantasy authors (both amateur and professional) to spend way too much time fleshing out pointless details, rather than spending more time telling a good story or writing interesting characters.

It leads to something I've seen referred to as "tabletop worldbuilding", when a story stops being a story and becomes a D&D handbook.

The most important part of world building is not really making sure every minute detail is mapped out, but rather, that the important things are internally consistent. As long as your world has an internal consistency, the stuff around the edges usually solves itself.

Refyref

World building shines the best when it's not the big focus, but rather something you build the big picture of yourself from the events that happen in the story. (Or background details/objects in games.)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah, internal logic and consistency are important. Essentially if your world is functional within its own terms, the story tends to write itself. Because, you know, logical things happen when characters are set in motion and plots play out. This is what many people don't understand whey they say of fiction "lol it is made up, why does anything have to make sense."

I think good authors do a lot of thinking and world building that doesn't necessarily end up on spelled out on the page. It informs the story and the characters, and I do believe readers appreciate the sense that characters exist in a functional world and have reality to them. But it's a subconscious appreciation. It doesn't require pages of exposition to explain, but when it's missing from the mind of the author you notice it.

To me the best fiction provides just enough to get the reader involved to the point they begin speculating logically on what's happening between the lines, because there's a well constructed foundation that invites such consideration. That's when the story becomes real to the audience.

World building shines the best when it's not the big focus, but rather something you build the big picture of yourself from the events that happen in the story. (Or background details/objects in games.)

A good example of World Building done well is the Little Tail Bronx series, or at least Solatorobo. While Solatorobo is kinda an alright game, the world itself is very fascinating even if your only given little tidbits to go in terms of it's back story to how everything came to be then and there.

Haly

Maybe I should stop thinking too much about a lot of things and just start having fun, then. :)

Mmmhm, this is the main thing.

Just have fun, worry about being a nerd afterwards.

You know, I don't think I've actually met someone else out of Internet that's also a furry. Hmm...

I have a feeling that I might want to not ask about that.

XaosWolf

You know, I don't think I've actually met someone else out of Internet that's also a furry. Hmm...

I have a feeling that I might want to not ask about that.

I found out one of my Twitter friends (who I started chatting to about Dark Souls when it released) was actually working in the same town. =D

Haly

I like that last one.

Also lol Deus Ex: Fur Revolution

Haly

It feels like his head was copy pasta'd onto that body from some different artwork.

Yah... which reminds me, there hasn't been a new Soulcalibur in a while, has there.

Namco has decided to focus on free-to-play, so the newest game, Soulcalibur: Lost Swords, is basically just Soulcalibur V without multiplayer (I know, weird huh) and you fight opponents to get loot so you can make new weapons.

Namco has decided to focus on free-to-play, so the newest game, Soulcalibur: Lost Swords, is basically just Soulcalibur V without multiplayer (I know, weird huh) and you fight opponents to get loot so you can make new weapons.
Just how I like my fighting games

Well, at least I can hope for 2016...

Favorite one is still 2, mostly because I actually played that one the most with friends. I was an alright Ivy player - the sword whip is cool.

Just how I like my fighting games

Well, at least I can hope for 2016...

Favorite one is still 2, mostly because I actually played that one the most with friends. I was an alright Ivy player - the sword whip is cool.

My favorite was also 2. I cut my teeth on 1 and 2 in the arcades. Lizardman since day one, never looked back. :p

So I saw the original video in that Furry FIghter thread and I had no idea there was an even more hilariously uncomfortable sequel to it.

NSFW do not watch around friends or family but if anyone catches you watching it just say it was for national security

Furry Superheroes

Furry Superheroes 2

Also CollegeHumor warning but they really showed their research for this.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Whoaaaa, I can't believe how furry this thread actually is! Awesome ヽ(・ω・)ノ 

Top Bottom