• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funniest Games

Mentok

Banned
My picks:
Noone Lives Forever
Grim Fandango

From what others have posted, looks like I may need to play Lego City Undercover.

Jhoan

Resonance of Fate and Deadly Premonition haven't been mentioned so I'll say that. Also Alpha Protocol, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Double Dragon: Neon.

Resonance of Fate- The trio's chemistry banter is hilarious; particularly the cutscenes that have Vashyron and Leanne in it. The game was serious at times but when it didn't take itself seriously, it was comedic gold which is 60% of the game. Love this game so damn much.

Deadly Premonition- York's interactions with most of the NPC's and witty musings about 80s movies are so good. The game hits with the humor from the outset.

Alpha Protocol- Psycho Mike run. Enough said.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger- The narrator's memory is rusty that it gets called out a few times humorously.

Double Dragon: Neon- Skullmaggedon's cheesy puns, enemies quipping hilarious one liners such as "Abobo majored in physics" and the ending's amazing song is so good.

Persona 4 Golden has some of the most hilarious moments during the daily life scenes. I laughed out loud a lot during them. No one really talks about how funny this game is but it was fantastic. The English VO was also fantastic and made some of the dialogue even funnier.

I agree, and I find the same kind of moments in P4AU, funny moments.

you-dont-know-jack.jpg

One and done, followed by Portal 2.

South Park? That game's not even as funny as a middling episode of the show. Pacing matters.

Foshy

Stanley Parable is the obvious winner for me. P4 and Danganronpa 1&2 also have some hilarious moments and are amazingly written.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Some really good mentions here, but Portal 2 is the funniest game I've ever played. Just brilliant stuff, comedic genius.

I also remember Bulletstorm being really funny, and whoever said Paper Mario Thousand Year Door deserves a cookie. That game was SO well written.

If you want to go back, the first game I remember being successfully funny was The Lost Vikings, but I was like 12 at the time, so don't blame me if it was trash (probably was). Oh, and Sam N Max Hit The Road.

I must say that Portal series made me laugh the most!

Phoenix Wright series The puns are amazing and the characters facial expressions are hilarious.

And to the lesser extent, The Sims can be pretty funny.

mcz117chief

sephiroth7x

Suppose the games that have really made me laugh are the adventure games.

Monkey Island has always made me giggle a bit.

Broken Sword 1 and 2 really made me laugh. Even 3 had a few moments.

Games that have really made me laugh though are things like Oblivion and Fallout mainly due to glitching. Some glitches in games make me laugh FAR more than any scripted events.

The door glitch where you could trap several people in a door in Oblivion and see them sway from side to side always had me in stitches...

correojon

Incredible Crisis, an old game from the PS1 era. In each chapter you control a member of a family that must reach home in time for dinner but unexpected things happens to each one on their way home. They end up doing things like giving a massage to a lady on a Ferris Wheel to taking down a giant teddy bear with a jet, from escaping class unseen by the teacher to escape snowboarding some bank robbers, from doing morning exercises at work to traveling through a garden after being minimized to the size of an ant...of course aliens are involved.

It´s really funny to see how everyone goes from everyday situations to something unexpected. Then the scale of the bizarre continues going up until you end reaching home to have dinner in the most surprising ways: on an underground train, being teleported by an UFO...All the stories cross at different points during the game, so it´s great to replay the game and discover new details each time.

DryvBy

I'm just going to make a list with funny games, otherwise I won't get any work done on why these are funny.

Amped 3
Battlefield: Bad Company 1/2
Borderlands 1/2
Brutal Legend
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Day of the Tentacle
DeathSpank
Dead Rising
Deadpool
Disgaea, especially 3/4
Duke Nukem 3D
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Grim Fandango
Guacamelee!
GTA series
Monkey Island series (including TellTale)
No One Lives Forever
Noby Noby Boy (I don't even know what the crap this game is about)
Octodad
Paper Mario
Persona 4
Poker Night at the Inventory
Portal
Postal 2
Redneck Rampage
Retro City Rampage
Saint's Row series
Sam & Max series (including TellTale)
Shadow Warrior
Shovel Knight
Simpsons: Hit & Run / Game
Skate 2/3 (on accident)
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Stubbs the Zombie
Surgeon Simulator
Tales of Borderlands
Theme Hospital
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
Worms (hit and miss series but sometimes really funny)

When I read the thread title the first game that came to mind was Tales from the Borderlands, so I'm glad the OP already covered that. There are only 2 episodes out at the moment but the characters and the dialogue are just so funny.

A lot of the Mario RPG's have very humorous writing, especially the ones after the first Paper Mario. They're very enjoyable to play because of that.

I also really enjoyed the announcers in MadWorld. They deliver some really great lines.

Mathieran

Banned
Wonderful 101 is one of my favorite games for a good laugh. Also I remember a long time ago playing Turok with big head mode and I think also slow motion? That was great

Rozart

The Stanley Parable: Davey Wreden's cutting wit + Kevan Brighting's voice. Perfection.

EDIT:

Can't believe I missed out some other gems. Special mention goes to Portal, the Ace Attorney series (picking the most absurd and blatantly wrong assertions is always fun), Uncharted (particularly the 2nd one) and of course Dragon Age's party banters.

A handful of games I remmeber as a kid provoking a chuckle or a big smile in me but definitely the very first Videogame that made me laugh out loud hysterically was Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64. I remember being amazed by the evolution of Videogames when I got to that point.

Since then funny games that make me laugh loudly are more and more common. From the usual suspects like Portal to the not as obvious Uncharteds thanks to brilliant writing.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
GTA IV/V. They're incredibly comedic, but I think most people don't get the more subtle details. Literally everything is a well made satire of America, from billboards to tv ads, to movies, names, missions, to main characters. I've seen the Fame or Shame mission and I just could not stop laughing, it's perfect comedy. If you get deep enough underneath the surface you'd actually see they're maybe going a bit too harsh on criticizing America, butdamn me if it ain't hilarious

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
After South Park, GTA 3, VC and V. Absolutely hilarious games, my favourite line: 'Countries that don't have guns, aren't America'

EDIT: Forgot about the Futurama game, this is how the extra-life system is introduced:

Fry: 'You invented a machine that can bring people back to life when they die?'

Prof. Farnsworth: 'Yes, and I have been looking for an excuse to kill you ever since'

Top Bottom