• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Just Stares At Wall After His Rescue Fell Through

Status
Not open for further replies.

213372bu

Banned
Here's my Pitbull-mix that's 75% Pitbull.

Look at the terror!:
ler85er.jpg

6T8DOan.jpg

Macleoid

Because A) Large dogs still have utility

What utility? I grew up in a crofting community with lots of border collies about that were used as working sheep dogs and I'd make exceptions for working dogs and even for (very strictly regulated guard dogs), but what utility does a Doberman/Rottweiler/bull-Staffordshire terrier in a domestic setting serve exactly?

213372bu

Banned
What utility? I grew up in a crofting community with lots of border collies about that were used as working sheep dogs and I'd make exceptions for working dogs and even for (very strictly regulated guard dogs), but what utility does a Doberman/Rottweiler/bull-Staffordshire terrier in a domestic setting serve exactly?

They make people feel better?

They're good to work out with?

Bigger dogs are generally more chill than a smaller dog.

People just like bigger breeds?

But I guess reasoning with someone who just wants to put down "big breeds" because they serve no use is kinda moot.
looks like he has some retriever in him.

The other 25% must be something with pretty long legs! Very tall for a pit bull. Beautiful dog.
Yeah, apparently the last 25% is Labrador Retriever.

Thanks!

Krejlooc

Banned

mXOOPo7.jpg

There are pitbull service dogs. They do everything from leading the blind, to helping disabled vets, to working with autistic children to calm them down. Small dogs are not fit for these tasks. For example, service dogs for austic children are trained to smother the child when it begins to show signs of stress - being smothered helps them calm down. You need a bigger dog to do this.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Well according to Wikipedia 30 people in the us were killed by dogs in 2015. If we restricted ownership to small breeds I expect that number would massively reduce. No one needs a larger dog. I'm not advocating to ban them all just the big ones. Why not just get a small breed?

How would you even enact such a law without initiating some kind of dog holocaust on top of taking millions of people's pets away?

What happens with mixed breeds where you may think you're getting small dogs but large dog genes are expressed? Euthanize it?

30 people out of 300 million+ is a blip on the radar. People probably die more often from all kinds of random things.

Macleoid

mXOOPo7.jpg

There are pitbull service dogs. They do everything from leading the blind, to helping disabled vets, to working with autistic children to calm them down. Small dogs are not fit for these tasks. For example, service dogs for austic children are trained to smother the child when it begins to show signs of stress - being smothered helps them calm down. You need a bigger dog to do this.

Hmm I'm sure that these roles can be performed by breeds that aren't associated with fatal attacks. But if bull terriers are the breed best suited to these roles, id be fine with a limited number of them being owned by people for whom no breed other than a bull terrier can perform the role of guide dog for the blind etc..

rykomatsu

Man, this is a tough one...

I think a lot of folks don't realize that many renters and home owners insurance won't cover pit bulls and don't do their due diligence. I've heard a number of them being returned to shelters because of that. Unfortunately, the chances of adoption go down dramatically if they're returned.

Because of this, I generally recommend adopting from fosters or rescues instead of shelters unless you're absolutely sure that you will keep an adoption...

And for folks saying pitbulls should be eliminated altogether, fuck off. The Rottweiler / Pitbulls mix I have is far far far more docile than the vast majority of dogs out there.

213372bu

Banned
Hmm I'm sure that these roles can be performed by breeds that aren't associated with fatal attacks. But if bull terriers are the breed best suited to these roles, id be fine with a limited number of them being owned by people for whom no breed other than a bull terrier can perform the role of guide dog for the blind etc..

Why are you so dense?

What are your arbitrary reason that you want less of a breed?

People are going to keep choosing the breed they want as long as they can legally and feasibly own them.

No need for permission from Macleoid on Neogaf.

Macleoid

You clearly aren't internalizing anything anybody says in this thread. Like arguing with a brick wall.

So are you suggesting that only bull terriers can perform these roles or do you accept that there are other breeds that don't have the same association with fatal/serious attacks that are better suited?

What in this context would my responses look like if I was 'internalizing' what people were saying? I don't think I'm understand what you are trying to say here.

Krejlooc

Banned
So are you suggesting that only bull terriers can perform these roles or do you accept that there are other breeds that don't have the same association with fatal/serious attacks that are better suited?

What in this context would my responses look like if I was 'internalizing' what people were saying? I don't think I'm understand what you are trying to say here.

What has been pointed out to you several times, that you are willfully ignoring, is that the pitbull breed is not "associated with fatal attacks." Shitty owners are, and shitty owners can use any breed in shitty ways.

http://komonews.com/news/local/vicious-chihuahua-terrorizing-wenatchee-children

You would stop responding if you took these comments and internalized them. Because your dream of destroying an entire breed of dog is sociopathic and rooted in ignorance.

Hang on... So is your problem that you believe only the most optimal (allegedly) solution to a problem should be available?

Macleoid

Why are you so dense?

What are your arbitrary reason that you want less of a breed?

People are going to keep choosing the breed they want as long as they can legally and feasibly own them.

No need for permission from Macleoid on Neogaf.

I don't feel it is arbitrary. There are a certain set of breeds associated with fatal/serious attacks. But breed is not the firmest/clearest defined thing. So I'd just ban all dogs over a certain size except working dogs.

Jedi2016

Anyone who badmouths pitbulls has clearly never actually met one. I've met quite a few pitbulls in my life, and the only thing you'd have to fear from them is getting licked to death. They're teddy bears.

Now, on the flip side, I've met a larger number of dogs that were serious assholes, and all of them are from more common breeds that people consider "family friendly".

It's a goddamn travesty that such a wonderful breed gets such a bad, and completely false, rap as the pitbull.

Christopher

Was the dog aggressive why was e brought back?

Also guys pit bulls are total mushes...my 18 year old pit bulls/boxer was 18 and she never bit or growled at anyone and my baby brother would pull her ears and tail - of course we grabbed him right away but she never even flintched...

Krejlooc

Banned
So I'd just ban all dogs over a certain size except working dogs.

logistically, how do you propose doing this? Maintaining a breed with so few members of the species? You do know that service dogs are selected from a massive group of candidates, right? The reason service dogs can exist is because there is so much variety in their gene pool to allow the cream of the crop to exist. Limiting the existence of big dogs harms the ability for useful dogs to exist, statistically.

Hatty

Pit bulls are genetically predisposed to dog aggression so it takes a lot of conditioning to make sure they don't snap one day. So I could see why some places would ban them because the average person won't be able to handle this. Most pit bulls I've met have tried to attack my friendly Corgi so I'm always wary of them

213372bu

Banned
I don't feel it is arbitrary. There are a certain set of breeds associated with fatal/serious attacks. But breed is not the firmest/clearest defined thing. So I'd just ban all dogs over a certain size except working dogs.

Are you just intimidated by size, because why are you so fixated on size?

Do you want to put down this 132 pound dog to stop your nightmares?

Joyful

Pit bulls are genetically predisposed to dog aggression so it takes a lot of conditioning to make sure they don't snap one day. So I could see why some places would ban them because the average person won't be able to handle this. Most pit bulls I've met have tried to attack my friendly Corgi so I'm always wary of them

ban this racist

Syrus

Banned

This is so damn wrong. Your ignorance is disgusting.

Its bad owners and blind people like you that give tis amazing breed a bad name

Macleoid

What has been pointed out to you several times, that you are willfully ignoring, is that the pitbull breed is not "associated with fatal attacks." Shitty owners are, and shitty owners can use any breed in shitty ways.

http://komonews.com/news/local/vicious-chihuahua-terrorizing-wenatchee-children

You would stop responding if you took these comments and internalized them. Because your dream of destroying an entire breed of dog is sociopathic and rooted in ignorance.

I think you may have mis-understood me. I don't want to destroy one breed of dog, I'd like to get rid of all dogs bigger than an average (small) cat unless liscensed as a working dog. And then I'd have hard time believing that a pit bull type was the answer because for any utility you care to mention there is another breed better suited.

But I mean as part of a long term programme where we liscensed all dogs and sterilised all non approved and am not for a minute suggesting taking anyone's existing pet away. Just reshaping the nature of dog ownership going forward.

Edit: just saw the post regarding breeding population to get viable candidates and I guess I could live with an exception to allow Labrador retrievers with an option to reconsider if the prove troublesome. I imagine that armed forces would keep a live stock of the types of dogs they need and similarly law enforcement. These days I doubt it would be hard for police in the uk to liaise between authorities and with european counterparts to keep a good stock of the types of dog they need. The same would be true of farmers etc.

Jedi2016

Pit bulls are genetically predisposed to dog aggression so it takes a lot of conditioning to make sure they don't snap one day.
You can wallow in your own ignorance if you like, but stop spreading such blatantly false horseshit to the rest of us, please.

Really? Fuck any dog over 6kg?

Please stop posting here. For your sake.

You want to eradicate animals because you personally don't like them. You're disgusting.

I don't think owners of Dalmatians are recommended to buy break sticks to release a dog from its lockjaw grip, but OK

I didn't train my dog like shit, so I say "Ta" if I want what my bull terrier has in his mouth.

But yeah, buy a fucking crowbar for a dog. It's easier than training it to release things on command, which all bull terriers are intelligent enough to learn as a puppy.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't think owners of Dalmatians are recommended to buy break sticks to release a dog from its lockjaw grip, but OK

Oh hey, we're posting straight up bullshit now, cool

https://www.petfinder.com/pet-adoption/dog-adoption/myths-and-facts-about-pit-bulls/

MYTH: Pit Bulls have locking jaws.
Reality: Pit Bulls do not have any special physical mechanism or enzyme that allows them to “lock” their jaws. If you compare a Pit Bull skull to a skull of any other dog breed, you can see with the naked eye that both skulls share the same characteristics and general bone structure. However, one personality trait of the Pit Bull breed is determination. Whatever Pit Bulls do, they do it with a great deal of enthusiasm, and it is this trait that can make it seem like they have a locking jaw when they bite down on something and are determined not to release it.

What I am sure of, and is not a myth, however, is that Dalmatians are among the most temperamental breeds. And every time disney puts out a dalmatian movie, shelters are overrun by dalmatians as shitty owners return them after learning just how temperamental they are.

Krejlooc

Banned
I think you may have mis-understood me. I don't want to destroy one breed of dog, I'd like to get rid of all dogs bigger than an average (small) cat unless liscensed as a working dog.

That's even stupider, and does nothing to counter what I said. And reinforces what I said about you not internalizing anything anybody is saying.

Krejlooc

Banned
Edit: just saw the post regarding breeding population to get viable candidates and I guess I could live with an exception to allow Labrador retrievers with an option to reconsider if the prove troublesome. I imagine that armed forces would keep a live stock of the types of dogs they need and similarly law enforcement. These days I doubt it would be hard for police in the uk to liaise between authorities and with european counterparts to keep a good stock of the types of dog they need. The same would be true of farmers etc.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-p...t-bull-saved-her-from-being-seriously-injured

hurr but I thought we were avoiding dogs associated with attacks.

Hatty

You can wallow in your own ignorance if you like, but stop spreading such blatantly false horseshit to the rest of us, please.
I'm pretty sure I'm saying what everyone else is though? Pit bulls have the potential to be great dogs if the owner is good and a knows how to properly train and condition a dog. Pit bulls need extra care due to the purpose the breed was originally meant fulfill. Like my how my corgi tried to herd people until I trained it not too, pit bulls need to be trained to chill out around dogs with extra care. Every pit bull owner that I know corroborates this

213372bu

Banned

Yeah I know, every Pitbull/Terrier/Rottweiler shelter I've been to they always remind everyone to buy a plastic crowbar so that you can release small children nice and clean.

smh

Shinypogs

Service dogs come in all shapes, sizes and breed depending on the need of the disabled partner they serve ( Especially relevant for super small service dogs which usually serve as diabetic and seizure alert dogs). Bully breeds have their place and no they cannot simply be subbed out for another dog in all situations.

As for the dog in question I feel horrible for him. Even well run shelters can't stop dogs from shutting down after prolonged amounts of time with limited mental and physical stimulation. There simply aren't enough people to give these dogs the attention they need which often leads to quick returns. Many shelter dogs become under socialized and over reactive to any stimulation. Also ones who have shut dogs are not displaying their true personality when perspective families come look at them which is where you get the " he was so nice and quiet at the shelter but then we got him home and a couple days later he was wild' stories.

what size do you have in mind here

keep in mind american pit bull terriers are like 30-65 pounds on average

also

Toronto’s pit bulls are almost gone. So why are there more dog bites than ever?

In 2005, in the wake of disturbing dog attacks, Ontario passed a law designed to permanently remove pit bulls — and dogs that looked like them — from the province.

The law stopped short of a total ban, at least in the short term, but went some distance in that direction. Under the law, four breeds (pit bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers and American pit bull terriers) had to be kept muzzled or leashed in public and sterilized within two months of the bill’s passage.

It also became illegal to import them into the province. The four breeds are often referred to together as ‘pit bulls’.

“Over time, it will mean fewer pit bull attacks and, overall, fewer attacks by dangerous dogs,” then-attorney general Michael Bryant told the Ontario legislature in 2005.

The law certainly succeeded in cutting bites by the four affected breeds — Toronto recorded only 19 in 2014, down from 112 in 2005.

It’s not surprising, since there are far fewer of them around to bite anyone — there were only 338 registered in Toronto in 2014, down from 1,411 in 2005. Also, since the dogs were supposed to be unable to breed starting in 2005, the remaining ones are becoming elderly. Gradually, they are dying off without being replaced. They should cease to exist in the city by 2020 or so, at least in theory.

That isn’t airtight — the Toronto Humane Society still sees the occasional pit bull puppy come in to its shelter, says spokesperson Tegan Buckingham.

What it hasn’t succeeded in doing is reducing the total number of dog bites (though it looked that way for a time). Toronto’s reported dog bites have been rising since 2012, and in 2013 and 2014 reached their highest levels this century, even as pit bulls and similar dogs neared local extinction.

By 2012, the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association estimated that the law had led to over 1,000 dogs and puppies in Ontario having been needlessly put down.

which also reminded me of this story about an american bulldog in Ireland that was taken from its family and held for two years before being euthanized. not because it was ever aggressive towards anyone, but because it was a bully breed:

Lennox, dog condemned as pitbull, is put to death in Belfast

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm pretty sure I'm saying what everyone else is though? Pit bulls have the potential to be great dogs if the owner is good and a knows how to properly train and condition a dog. Pit bulls need extra care due to the purpose the breed was originally meant fulfill. Like my how my corgi tried to herd people until I trained it not too, pit bulls need to be trained to chill out around dogs with extra care. Every pit bull owner that I know corroborates this

What you are saying is that pitbulls are genetically angrier dogs than normal, and that they have extra bones in their body that makes them extra dangerous. Both of these assumptions are false.

Macleoid

There's literally no way you're this dense, especially with as much people actually trying to talk to you.

Nice troll fam.

Sorry I'm not trolling. Maybe I'm overly twitch around certain breeds of dog but the facts are what they are. And breed isn't easy to pin down and I'd rather be safe than sorry,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom