• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Go Vacation! (Wii/Namco) ...a sleeper hit?

Kolgar

Day One for this!

Stumbled across the promo video for this while messing around on the Nintendo Channel, and I just couldn't believe how much cool content they packed into this game. So many things to do! And from Namco?

The girlfriend and I are really looking forward to this.

squall23

Wow, that lightsaber vid totally reminds me of the lightsaber battles from that Star Wars arcade game.
Gameplay videos of City resort:

* Skate tricks
* Table Hockey
* Pie throwing
THIS GAME GETS BETTER AND BETTER

Peru

They've literally put everything into this game. But the surprising thing is that the environments look quite nice, I'd like to wander around and take the train to sightsee. Plus the jet ski mechanics / waves look satisfying. 4 player split screen is a framerate mess of course.

gamingeek

Peru said:
They've literally put everything into this game. But the surprising thing is that the environments look quite nice, I'd like to wander around and take the train to sightsee. Plus the jet ski mechanics / waves look satisfying. 4 player split screen is a framerate mess of course.

I wonder if you can actually walk about on the train, Paper mario or Crystal Bearers style. I've seen the train moving in the background but I think it might just warp you to your location.

bolt7

Banned
Wow. It went from running around casually on a beach to snow boarding, dog sleighing and something that looks like Jet Set Radio minus the graffiti. Quite surprised, actually, it looks pretty fun!

oh, wow!

watched the racing trailer, it actually looks very good! And it is not kart racing! AI doesn't seem to be stupid either; however, turning seems too arcade and abrupt. if it doesn't fall flat on execution, I will definitely get it.

we really needed more realistic racings on wii.

gamingeek

Why is it that only the parachuting game has different music? Everything else has that somewhat catchy tune that will drive you insane after the 15th time. You'll hear it in your sleep.

Tagg9

Maybe I'm missing something here, but after watching several videos it hardly looks any better than Carnival Games. Are there any actual hands-on reports of the game from E3?

gamingeek said:
Why is it that only the parachuting game has different music? Everything else has that somewhat catchy tune that will drive you insane after the 15th time. You'll hear it in your sleep.
lol, I was just gonna say that the whistle sound will haunt me in my sleep. Good lord, that sound plays like every 5 seconds, and it's already annoying just watching the videos.

Tagg9 said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but after watching several videos it hardly looks any better than Carnival Games. Are there any actual hands-on reports of the game from E3?
No, other than the fact that it features an extremely large explorable overworld with stuff to discover, motion plus compatible minigames with some actual depth to them, and graphics that actually take advantage of the Wii's power while Carnival Games looks like an early PS2 game and its minigames have as much effort put into them as a typical flash game, you'd almost think they were the same game! You're definitely not missing anything at all.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fantastical said:
Wait that can't be the real date... that's just a placeholder date right?
Some companies like releasing their products after Christmas so people will get them when they go back to the stores to exchange the gifts they got.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Brazil said:
Some companies like releasing their products after Christmas so people will get them when they go back to the stores to exchange the gifts they got.
But won't they still be there if they release them on December 1st or something?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fantastical said:
But won't they still be there if they release them on December 1st or something?
If it's a less-known product, it'll probably disappear amidst all the other new and more popular products during the pre-Christmas season.

After Christmas, these releases end up as featured products in stores.

gamingeek said:

I think that's placeholder or added over the footage for some reason. This vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxKoQQrugw0 - has some of the same events, but different music.

Looks like two decent games from NBGI for Wii later this year, with Family Fishing also having a resort vibe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g95VQe9b4IA

Tagg9

nincompoop said:
No, other than the fact that it features an extremely large explorable overworld with stuff to discover, motion plus compatible minigames with some actual depth to them, and graphics that actually take advantage of the Wii's power while Carnival Games looks like an early PS2 game and its minigames have as much effort put into them as a typical flash game, you'd almost think they were the same game! You're definitely not missing anything at all.
I should have selected my example (Carnival Games) a bit better. However, I maintain that there are very few previews for the game, and the ones that do exist are noncommittal in tone. It takes more than average graphics and and a large selection of minigames to make a good party game.

anyone else amazed by the Rollerblades video?
http://youtu.be/TdUA7icaRTo

The city, you are skating in, is massive. holy shit

I was also pleased to see the ridge race part got possibly overhauled. It looks better and has the RR-drifting now.
(and a fuck yea at the indycar racing at the end of the vid)

sidenote: the framerate in 4 player mode got improved a lot.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
nincompoop said:
i dunno, it looks just like carnival games to me!!!
Uh, what? How are the kinds of activities even remotely similar to what you'd find in carnival games?

Edit: I guess I missed the discussion from before, nevermind, I missed the sarcasm >_>

The 4 player frame rate still looks bad in the skating part. It looked fine in the racing video though. It's still awesome people can even wander and do their own thing each rather than the particular activity. Frame rate issues are acceptable just for that reason, imo. I'd probably only play this two player, it should be smoother.

They should totally do a sequel for Wii U with both "persistent" style open world multiplayer like the single and local play here, as well as specific activity matchmaking lists. It should put them at a really good place for Wii U marketshare if they can get it done for the launch window or at least before a Wii U Sports Resort comes along.

kunonabi

Alextended said:
It's still awesome people can even wander and do their own thing each rather than the particular activity. Frame rate issues are acceptable just for that reason, imo. I'd probably only play this two player, it should be smoother.

Holy crap, you can do that? Damn, this would be great to play with my brother and my nephew then.

Alexios

kunonabi said:
Holy crap, you can do that? Damn, this would be great to play with my brother and my nephew then.
I'm just going by screenshots like this which clearly show players doing different things in split screen.
1306354597-marinejpg-large.jpg

There are probably limitations like being on the same resort (not half the players on the mountain resort and the other half on the sea resort - this one makes the most sense) or even being barred from starting certain activities in solo mode while playing multiplayer, which could suck for some things but not too much overall.

Teppic

The split screen is probably limited to the map you see on the screenshot there. Looks like everyone is just walking/driving around the island in that shot. You might not be able to do several events at once.

I love this kind of experiences, hope Go Vacation will catch up many attentions, even if I'm doubtful because of the weird release date and the decline of the Wii.

Alexios

Teppic said:
The split screen is probably limited to the map you see on the screenshot there. Looks like everyone is just walking/driving around the island in that shot. You might not be able to several events at once.
Which I thought would be the sea resort? Unless it's a mini all different place that includes activities from all the others or something.

Teppic

Alextended said:
Which I thought would be the sea resort? Unless it's a mini all different place that includes activities from all the others or something.
The map looks pretty huge so that's probably correct.

gamingeek

Tagg9 said:

Not sure if both of these are hands on but these are the only previews from E3 I could find:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28870014&postcount=138

Hero of Canton said:
I think that's placeholder or added over the footage for some reason. This vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxKoQQrugw0 - has some of the same events, but different music.

Looks like two decent games from NBGI for Wii later this year, with Family Fishing also having a resort vibe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g95VQe9b4IA

Nice find, yeah there is different music there, thank God.

Jimrpg

OMG.... i must have this....

does anyone when its coming out??

man this is what GTA should have been like... lots of activities but not shitty dating games or watching tv... and the basketball in GTA:SA was awful... awful...

CAN'T WAIT for this... i hope every mini game will have a few tracks, variations etc...

would be great if it was on PS3 or xbox and people could create their own tracks and things like mod nation racers and little big planet...

This is looking like what Wii Sports Resort should have been.

My main concern though is that by having so many activities they have maybe spread themselves a bit thin and alot of them may be poor. I'd rather have a mini-game collection with 5-6 excellent activities than one with 100 sub-standard ones!

I may have to re-buy a Wii for this, especially as they are cheap now.

eXistor

Tagg9 said:
I should have selected my example (Carnival Games) a bit better. However, I maintain that there are very few previews for the game, and the ones that do exist are noncommittal in tone. It takes more than average graphics and and a large selection of minigames to make a good party game.
I'm sure the partygames themselves are gonna be only servicable, but the fact that there is such a wide variety of them is definitely a good way to counter this problem. But the reason this is getting so much attention here is the fact that the game has an explorable island and the player has the ability to freeroam. That makes it wholly different from the wannabes. That and it looks to have a bit of style.

jamesinclair said:
Looks interesting. Worried its a jack of all trades/master of none situation.
I'm sure its gonna be exactly that, but I think with games like this you're gonna want to be able to look past that and appreciate the game for what it tries to accomplish. Games like Deadly Premonition or Xenus go for broke too and their jankiness is what makes them unique, without it the games wouldn't even be as good as they are. I'm sure this is gonna be a bit more polished though.

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up, Amazon.com just emailed me saying the release date has been moved from December 27th to October 14th. Woo!

Top Bottom