• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best indie games on the Wii U eShop (recommendation thread)

correojon

Awesome OP, subbed.

Great post!

Agree with all of them, but there are missing many:

1001 Spikes
Adventure of Pip
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
Costume Quest 2
Dot Arcade
Elliot Quest
Edge
Extreme Exorcism
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Knytt Underground
Mutant Mudds Deluxe
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
Mighty Switch Force 2
Never Alone
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Rush
Spin the Bottle
Sportsball
Temple of Yog
The Cave
The Fall
Toki Tori
Typoman
Unepic
Underground

I created a year ago a site for indie games on the eshop, where the people can find each week sales and launches, and keep track of it. I even updated with a section "My List" to save your collection and a wish list. The Top Games is based on Metacritics, and when is missing, in NintendoLife score.
Indie-eShop.com

And yesterday, for anyone with android, I just publish an android app of the site, where I send notifications with the launches and sales for EU and US (3DS and WiiU)
VjJ8MKo.png
Indie eShop App on Google Play store
I´ll be checking this as well.

Corto

Fantastic thread, thanks OP! I'll definitely buy some of the recommendations to play on the living room. Some I already have on my Vita and they are great games indeed. Olli Olli, Don't Starve, Guacamelee, The Swapper, Shovel Knight, SteamWorld Dig, Thomas was alone, all great games that if you don't have them on other platforms are must buys on Wii U.

llehuty

Nice thread, subscribed! There are already a few games in the OP that I didn't hear about.

And also, that app thing looks really convenient. Thanks for the heads up.

TheMoon

Very useful thread, i approved. There's a suggestion here.

Could the people that has experience with the games been listed be more specific when the software makes some special use of the Gamepad. "Great use" is a bit too non descriptive and Wii U indi games tend to have scarce coverage, so every little piece of information helps.

This is a sincere request, because there are various games mentioned in the thread that awoke my curiosity. So thank you.

Did that a bit in that bizarre thread from the other day:

You're looking for indies with good Gamepad support? Not including off-screen Gamepad play, here are some:
* Affordable Space Adventures (first grade gamepad showpiece)
* Runbow (ColourMaster and Grey Man)
* Year Walk (puzzle completely redesigned for gamepad)
* Stealth Inc. 2 (Wii U-exclusive asymmetric two-screen co-op mode and level editor)
* Swords and Soldiers II (touch UI, two-screen multiplayer)
* Nihilumbra (asymmetric co-op, touch UI)
* Tengami (fully touch-controlled)
* Stick it to the Man (mind-reading via motion control)
+
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (unique party games that don't need TV)
Trine Enhanced Edition (touch UI)
Trine 2: Director's Cut (touch UI)
Temple of Yog (world shifts between both screens)
Cubemen 2 (touch UI/controls)
Terraria (touch UI, long distance mining -coming soon, opinion based on 3DS ver.)
Human Resource Machine (fully touch-controlled)
Little Inferno (fully touch-controlled)
Castlestorm (touch UI/controls, two-screen multiplayer)
Squids Odyssey (fully touch-controlled)
Typoman (touch controls)
Canvaleon (paint camouflage)
Zombie Defense (fully touch-controlled)
Starwhal (Wii U exclusive asymmetric 5-player mode)

added a few that are more than just 1:1 multiplatform ports or use the second screen for more than just a map-like screen.

RedColumn

Affordable Space Adventures
One of the most unique games on the Wii U, which can be played as true co-op or as single player. A game that truly shows what the Gamepad can be used for. 1 to 3 players.

HhpaROV.jpg

I made a simple tool to help you to create the images of other indie games (taking from my site, the picture, name and developers). I use the same font and desing that I saw you using with the other images.

It's really simple to use:

Just search for a game on indie-eshop.com. For example:
http://www.indie-eshop.com/games/elliot-quest
And then change the word: games for poster, like this
http://www.indie-eshop.com/poster/elliot-quest

And there you have the picture!.

If you want to change the picture, each game has until 4 pictures. Just write the number at the end like this:
http://www.indie-eshop.com/poster/elliot-quest/1
http://www.indie-eshop.com/poster/elliot-quest/2
http://www.indie-eshop.com/poster/elliot-quest/3
http://www.indie-eshop.com/poster/elliot-quest/4

And please, upload the picture to Imgur.com like yours, so it doesnt comes from my server ;)

Examples:

Let me know if is helpful and If I can help in anything else :)

Did that a bit in that bizarre thread from the other day:
Many thanks. Hopefully others will contribute this way also.

In regards to the Trine games. They would've ended up playing better in all respects, with the Gamepad as touch pad, had they allowed a button to cancel drawing and with the Dpad dedicated to shortcuts instead of movement. Too bad there's no way FrozenBite will update the game controls.

Also, is Trine 3 coming to Wii U?

jariw

I made a simple tool to help you to create the images of other indie games (taking from my site, the picture, name and developers). I use the same font and desing that I saw you using with the other images.

Thanks!

I'll add your site to the OT, as well as starting to update with additional games mentioned in the thread.

Since I haven't yet played many of the new suggestions given here (I would love to get Sportsball for example, but it isn't available on the European eShop), I would need info from players about why a specific game should be recommended:
* What is it that makes the game good for recommendation?
* What Wii U-specific features does it have?
* What genre?
* What type of players would enjoy the game?
* And so on.

I intend to expand my text on the games I have listed so far as well. Any tips on things that I should include for games already on the list is appreciated.

RedColumn

Glad you like it ;)

I also have two suggestion.
First, the the top 11, you could for example let the people vote for them favorites, and the ones that got more than XX points will get to the "ESSENSIAL GAMES" section.

Second, if you put the images on QUOTE, it will be much organizate (there are too many games, and is better smaller image, where people can click to zoom in). Inside the QUOTE it could go the extra important details (only if the game has it). I think the most important it would be: NeoGAF OT, if is exclusive, and important GamePad features.
Something like this:

Affordable Space Adventures
One of the most unique games on the Wii U, which can be played as true co-op or as single player. A game that truly shows what the Gamepad can be used for. 1 to 3 players.
HhpaROV.jpg

Only on Wii U
GamePad: Cooperative Mode, Tilt ship, ...
NeoGAF OT

BIT.TRIP Presents: RUNNER2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Rhythm-based game with loads of content, in a silly/funny game style. With Charles Martinet as the voice actor.

FAST Racing NEO
The already-famous 60 fps futuristic racing game by Shin'en, played at insane speeds. Up to 4 player locally or 8 players online. 16 tracks. 3 speed classes and a Hero Mode.
sTrCO25.jpg

Only on Wii U
GamePad: Two players mode
NeoGAF OT

What do you think?

OmegaX

What in the hell is going on with RIVE? has it released yet... pushed back, or cancelled?
The demo had some framerate issues at times so I hope they are taking their time to improve it. IMO was the most interesting game from the Nindies promotion.

jariw

First, the the top 11, you could for example let the people vote for them favorites, and the ones that got more than XX points will get to the "ESSENSIAL GAMES" section.

If enough people talks about a game here as a truly essential Wii U indie game (with good reasons on why), I'll move it to that section and expand the essential game list. I got one request to move Toki Tori 2+ to the essential list, if more people are of the same opinion I'll move it.

I actually don't know where to put Minecraft. It's an essential game, based on its market appeal. But it has technical shortcomings and it (currently) doesn't use the Wii U's potential as good as many other indies.

I'll look into the quote thing for a possible future update.

fernoca

I actually don't know where to put Minecraft. It's an essential game, based on its market appeal. But it has technical shortcomings and it (currently) doesn't use the Wii U's potential as good as many other indies.
Though I agree that it's currently missing stuff that will be added later (they haven't said what); what technical shortcomings the game has? The only big one I know of is tbat it's not compatible with third party Pro controllers. But the game in general is not only the same as PS3 and Xbox 360, but things spawn faster and loading times are shorter.

The gamepad while it can't be used to place stuff directly on the map, can be used in menus, inventory, etc. to make selections. More like an option to not use buttons at the moment.

Hopefully the updates will bring some cool additions.

jariw

Though I agree that it's currently missing stuff that will be added later (they haven't said what); what technical shortcomings the game has? The only big one I know of is tbat it's not compatible with third party Pro controllers. But the game in general is not only the same as PS3 and Xbox 360, but things spawn faster and loading times are shorter.

IMO, the technical shortcoming is that the Wii U version doesn't provide larger worlds than those consoles, even though the Wii U has more RAM.

The gamepad while it can't be used to place stuff directly on the map, can be used in menus, inventory, etc. to make selections. More like an option to not use buttons at the moment.

Yes, regarding menus, Minecraft actually have better Gamepad support than Smash for the Wii U.

jariw

Added the following games to the OT today:
  • Minecraft
  • Elliot Quest
  • Unepic
  • Sportsball
  • Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
  • Mighty Switch Force! 2
  • Adventures of Pip
  • Spin the Bottle
  • Pumped BMX+

TheMoon

If enough people talks about a game here as a truly essential Wii U indie game (with good reasons on why), I'll move it to that section and expand the essential game list. I got one request to move Toki Tori 2+ to the essential list, if more people are of the same opinion I'll move it.

Toki Tori 2 is the ORIGINAL essential Wii U eShop game. There's no question it belongs in the top part of the list!

RedColumn

Added the following games to the OT today:

Good additions! Still missing Typoman imo. Its really unique and I think is exclusive for Wii U.
Im glad that was useful the tool ;). If you have any problem or suggestion that may help you more, let me know.

ps. About Citizens of Earth... did Atlus just published it or bought the game as well and funded it?
Atlus picks up RPG Citizens of Earth after failed Kickstarter

Toki Tori 2 is the ORIGINAL essential Wii U eShop game. There's no question it belongs in the top part of the list!
Im agree, toguether with Trine 2: Director's Cut, which it was one of the best launch indie game for the console.

Runner2 is actually on sale this week for a fiver.

Not only that one:
US SALES
  • Runner 2 (-66%)
  • Freedom Planet (-30%)
  • OlliOlli (-40%) (crossbuy on the sales too?)
  • SteanWirkd Dig (-50%)
  • Teslagrad (-33%)

EU SALES
  • Runbow (-25%)
  • Unepic (-50%)

jariw

Toki Tori 2+ now moved to the top list.

review likely was written for the launch version which does not include the additional six mini-games introduced in the free update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJtqjrkf2R4
http://www.shacknews.com/article/82814/spin-the-bottle-bumpies-party-gets-new-mini-games-on

I added a note about this in the OT now. (The current version of the game is 2.0.0.)

I also added a similar note about the update with the 5 Origin Story levels in Affordable Space Adventures.

Good additions! Still missing Typoman imo. Its really unique and I think is exclusive for Wii U.

Have you (or anyone else) played it to the end? I own it, but haven't played it yet (other than the E3 demo). Many of the reviews seems to indicate that while the word puzzles are great, the platforming is so strange that the game doesn't become fun.

Toki Tori 2+ now moved to the top list.

I added a note about this in the OT now. (The current version of the game is 2.0.0.)

I also added a similar note about the update with the 5 Origin Story levels in Affordable Space Adventures.

Have you (or anyone else) played it to the end? I own it, but haven't played it yet (other than the E3 demo). Many of the reviews seems to indicate that while the word puzzles are great, the platforming is so strange that the game doesn't become fun.

Just wanted to say, thank you for being so proactive in updating the OP. It's very much appreciated!

Vena

Is the last one not randomly generated like all the others?

The last level undermines the core-mechanics of the game and cheats you to make the moment tense.

Last level spoilers:
When you steal the last item, regardless of how well you did getting there or what perks/skills you have, the alarm will ALWAYS go off and put you in a terrible situation... in a stealth game where everything will murder you.

That design choice was infuriating to me when it occurred and, since I had no way of knowing of it before experiencing it, it effectively rendered that playthrough pointless and wasted my time.

jariw

If it counts, Oddworld is 100% completed for Wii U and news is coming soon

https://twitter.com/OddworldInc/status/690208595028353025

It will count if the Wii U version is good. :)

The last level undermines the core-mechanics of the game and cheats you to make the moment tense.

Last level spoilers:
When you steal the last item, regardless of how well you did getting there or what perks/skills you have, the alarm will ALWAYS go off and put you in a terrible situation... in a stealth game where everything will murder you.

That design choice was infuriating to me when it occurred and, since I had no way of knowing of it before experiencing it, it effectively rendered that playthrough pointless and wasted my time.

Would you say that the design of the last level is so bad that The Swindle shouldn't be added as a solid game recommendation?

fernoca

l

Would you say that the design of the last level is so bad that The Swindle shouldn't be added as a solid game recommendation?
It is a great and solid game (2 other posters recommended it even), but as noted the levels and placements are randomly generated.

Some would be easier others are a bit more difficult, even early on. An item that you need in that last level could be closer or deeper every time you play, so that adds to the difficulty.

TheMoon

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If it counts, Oddworld is 100% completed for Wii U and news is coming soon

https://twitter.com/OddworldInc/status/690208595028353025
At long last.

On an unrelated sidenote: Any wiiU racers other than MW:U that use the gamepad accelerometer/gyro for steering? I know Project CARS was touting their gamepad motion controls, but we know how that ended. I'm currently playing an iOS game that does that beautifully - it's essentially the next best thing to a steering wheel. So I was wondering how many devs figured out that on the wiiU. I hope The 90's Arcade Racer does that, when it comes out one day.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I would argue that the WayForward games are some of the best titles on the system. Mighty Switch Force HD is fantastic, and probably my favorite puzzle platformer. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, though? That's on another level entirely. It's as good as the classics in that very crowded genre.

kitsuneyo

Nice thread! Some interesting games I didn't know about.

I can recommend FAST Racing Neo. It's top quality.

Zen Pinball also great.

I can't really recommend Mighty Switch Force, got bored with that one quick.

X-Type is buggy and a bit boring too.

RedColumn

I have only play the demo of typoman, so I cant really say.

What I feel that is missing as well (and I have played) are:
  • Mutant Mudds Deluxe
    [*]Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
    [*]The Cave

and maybe as well: edge and rush (great games for cheap price)

those others have good reviews as well:
  • The Fall
    [*]Octodad: Dadliest Catch
    [*]Knytt Underground

What's the deal on 90s Arcade Racer? Has this finally been cancelled or something? I feel like we've known about it since before Wii U launched, but could be wrong.

Vena

I think the game is quite good otherwise to stay on the list, but it comes with the caveat that I found the last level to be infuriating. For some, it may simply break their enjoyment.

Top Bottom