• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmy's Despecialized Editions of the Original Star Wars Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rimfya said:
Unhappy this is already hard to find.

I gave up looking once I saw the guys actual thread with pics of some of his changes. He is actually restoring some errors that were fixed in the SE's such as lightsaber props in scenes instead of glowing. I hate the things that were added/changed in the SE's, not things that were just fixed. That's a whole different level of goofy to me.

mattp

the touchups that he took out don't change the movie
the new special edition shit he took out DOES change it

i'll take harmy's version over george's any fucking day

mattp said:
the touchups that he took out don't change the movie
the new special edition shit he took out DOES change it

i'll take harmy's version over george's any fucking day

Right, agreed. Just bugs me that someone would go back and "fix" it so a prop is seen instead of an actual ligthsaber. I already have the 2006 DVD's, so if we are going that route I'm already good to go.

mattp

it was sort of a nostalgia overload watching it for me. this is how i watched the movies when i was a kid(flaws and all). so i like it.
also, they're way better quality than those crappy laserdisc rips. he did a pretty good job of splicing in hd footage, upscaling the non hd stuff, fixing colors etc

i think it looks great

mattp said:
it was sort of a nostalgia overload watching it for me. this is how i watched the movies when i was a kid(flaws and all). so i like it.
also, they're way better quality than those crappy laserdisc rips. he did a pretty good job of splicing in hd footage, upscaling the non hd stuff, fixing colors etc

i think it looks great
Yeah looking at the YouTube samples he did is triggering the same nostalgia in me too.

Kettch

It's good to see something like this being done.

I would say that the addition of Yavin to the background of the first Death Star battle in Adywan's version was miles better than any change Lucas ever made, really incredible to see. Unfortunately, I'd still prefer the originals due to some of the other crap he put in too (the prequel music being the #1 offender).

Anth0ny

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I've found the been told by a couple of film preservation people that that assessment is over stated. Hell I've seen collectors private print from the time and they have turned pink yet. Some do of course, but not all of them.

The technicolor print is pretty much the holy grail. Only a hand full were ever made, as Technicolor had shut down in North America by the time Star Wars was released. It was still around in Britain, however.

History aside, technicolor prints are MUCH more durable than 35mm prints of films, which is much more common and could be found on ebay every so often. 35mm prints, over time, turn pink no matter how well you treat them, and due to age and usage, are also scratched/damaged beyond repair.

Technicolor prints, on the other hand, are pretty much invincible. The colors don't change, or even fade. Which is why those shots from a camera in the audience of a theatre look so spectacular.

If the community could get their hands on a technicolor print, scan it and restore it, we would have a truly remarkable transfer of Star Wars on our hands. Unfortunately, that's damn near impossible for many reasons. Also, technicolor prints were not made of Empire or Jedi =(

fiz

Neo Member
As I was watching ANH from Harmy early today I came to realize I no longer need the 3 different versions of each movie. This is the definitive version.

way more

I was watching Empire Strikes Back and noticed the windows they added in Cloud City. Does this get rid of those because I thought they worked well? Let's hope they kept them, we don't need any more fundamentalist in this world.

Jexhius said:
Impressive and terrifying in equal measure.
Ha.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Man, I just spent like 10 minutes looking at the comparison shots for ANH. I started on the special edition VHS when I was a kid, though I watched the original once at my granddad's, never before have i realised how much shit was pointlessly added.

For example:
Comparison051.JPG

Comparison049.JPG

And SOOO many others.
I'd deal with Yub Nub to see all this shit GONE.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have all the Star Wars movies on DVD in the 2006 sets. I don't mind the special editions. The only things that really bother me are Greedo shooting (don't care about Han's pride/swag, it just doesn't make sense, how did he miss?) and the ghosts at the end of RotJ.

Snaku

Banned
It's sad commentary that after 14 years these despecializations are even necessary. Does Lucas really intend to go to the grave having never given the original OT a proper digital release? What a sad old douche.

There are people who own prints of the Star Wars movies, but they have a lot to risk and little to gain by making people aware of it.
Are you suggesting Lucas would have such people killed, and their deaths made to look like an accident?

Edit: because I would almost believe it

Reseil

An associate who has seen Ep. IV of these said that it looked amazing, but had a LOT of artifacting going on during playback. Anyone else heard of this?

I'm half tempted to get out the LD player just so I can watch them again, but I'm afraid my eyes might burn out due to it showing it's age.

mattp

i think the hd tv broadcast version was used for a lot of it, so i guess there's no way around the artifacting. they're in the source

but honestly, they look better than my 2004 dvds and they're the real cuts of the movies. so i am perfectly happy with these until(if) we get real blu-ray releases

Seth C

Reseil said:
An associate who has seen Ep. IV of these said that it looked amazing, but had a LOT of artifacting going on during playback. Anyone else heard of this?

I'm half tempted to get out the LD player just so I can watch them again, but I'm afraid my eyes might burn out due to it showing it's age.

I have the LD trilogy and have watched them recently myself. They don't look bad if you have a decent player. With that said, these look better, artifacting and color banding included.

Neuromancer said:
Are you suggesting Lucas would have such people killed, and their deaths made to look like an accident?

No...well..no, mostly having the print seized, but potentially also a civil suit (settlement) or though unlikely criminal charges

Far more 1 and 2, and mostly only 1, but if someone tried to use it to make their own version as transfer and then selling and distributing 2 becomes very likely and possibly even 3.

Reseil

Seth C said:
I have the LD trilogy and have watched them recently myself. They don't look bad if you have a decent player. With that said, these look better, artifacting and color banding included.

I have a nice player, will definitely break it out. Sucks about the banding and artifacting, but I suppose that's not overly surprising. Thanks for the confirmation.

Snaku

Banned
Neuromancer said:

Toho seizes old prints of Godzilla films all of the time. I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine Lucas doing the same.

Anth0ny

Snaku said:
Toho seizes old prints of Godzilla films all of the time. I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine Lucas doing the same.

I believe Lucas has done it. Someone tried playing a 35mm print of Empire for it's 30th anniversary, and made it public. Bad idea.

MBison

Another entertaining Star Wars fan edit is The War of the Stars which is a grindhouse version of Star Wars.

a) Adds blood
b) Gives R2-D2 subtitles
c) Integrates deleted scenes, grainy style
d) Various surprises like a new cantina theme, twist ending

Definitely worth getting

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why did he want start adding weird shit like that concert? I mean I get the whole upgrade effects, but shit like that is just bizarre.

isn't the concert designed to overlay the original concert? In the OT they had that spindly leg muppet with the long mouth and big lips - they've just put in an OTT CG version thats probably too big in the frame to ensure it covers over the old one on the print. So its not 'adding' anything, its more like redoing the original physical effects with CG ones. Badly.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
No...well..no, mostly having the print seized, but potentially also a civil suit (settlement) or though unlikely criminal charges

Far more 1 and 2, and mostly only 1, but if someone tried to use it to make their own version as transfer and then selling and distributing 2 becomes very likely and possibly even 3.
Why don't they secretly scan and release them into 1080p or whatever is done. No traces.

And can you make copies of prints?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I've just watched ANH and ESB, and they're both AMAZING in quality. I can't really comment on how true they stick to the original cut, but video- and audio-quality wise, it's on par with most of my BluRay-collection.

Cindres said:
For example:
Comparison051.JPG

Is it so wrong that I like the fudgeless shot of the Landspeeder? The fudge under the thing always bothered me back then and it still does now. Not to mention we've seen other shots where the fudge wasn't there including the shot of the approach. Then sudden boom, fudge.

Azar

DeathNote said:
Why don't they secretly scan and release them into 1080p or whatever is done. No traces.

And can you make copies of prints?
Unless the person who owns the print also happens to own some very expensive film scanning equipment, what's the incentive for them to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to have the film scanned and then release it on the Internet? Sure, we'd love it, but they'd probably get sued for the effort.

A 4K or 6K scan of one of those long-lost prints would be incredible, but I think it would be too expensive to come from anyone but an official source.

mattp

neorej said:
I've just watched ANH and ESB, and they're both AMAZING in quality. I can't really comment on how true they stick to the original cut, but video- and audio-quality wise, it's on par with most of my BluRay-collection.
i don't know if i'd go THAT far
the main source of these is an hdtv broadcast. not quite on par with a blu-ray
but they are really good quality

MLH

Cow Mengde said:
Is it so wrong that I like the fudgeless shot of the Landspeeder? The fudge under the thing always bothered me back then and it still does now. Not to mention we've seen other shots where the fudge wasn't there including the shot of the approach. Then sudden boom, fudge.

Absolutely not, removing actual flaws like that from the originals is a great idea, in my opinion. It's the huge fucking CG dinosaur they decided to add that annoys people.

I have to thank the OP for introducing me to these fan restorations (and of course Harmy for doing the work), maybe one day fans will get a true restoration of the original films.

Gvaz

Banned
I like what he's doing but the quality still looks bad compared to this:

inSCK9oMas6pz.jpg

Get back to me when they're in 1080 :D

Zing

Banned
The replies here make me wonder how many of you have actually seen the original, VHS, or laserdisc versions. Obi Wan's lightsaber was a "dot", everyone noticed that back in the day.

What is the reason for this version when the THX laserdisc rips are already available? Why go through all this effort?

Gvaz

Banned
The only real insulting change is the vader NOOOOOO he recently added as well as changing the face and ghost form of anakin

then again I saw the movies in the 90s

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I thought the superimposition of sebastian shaw's eyebrows in rotj was funky. Other than that, I'm so happy.

sorry to be that guy but how can i watch/extract the .iso files on a mac without burning to disc? of course i always could burn them but it'd be rather counterproductive, haha.

kharma45

xbulletholes said:
sorry to be that guy but how can i watch/extract the .iso files on a mac without burning to disc? of course i always could burn them but it'd be rather counterproductive, haha.

Could you not mount them as a virtual drive?

Amagon

So I started watching The War of Stars and holy shit, its bad. The blood and violence is cool and all but the new scenes, the dubbing, the music is shitentious. I know they did it on purpose but I dont know if I should waste my time watching it.

Qwomo

THE NO LIFE KING said:
So I started watching The War of Stars and holy shit, its bad. The blood and violence is cool and all but the new scenes, the dubbing, the music is shitentious. I know they did it on purpose but I dont know if I should waste my time watching it.
Most fanedits are terrible, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom