• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmy's Despecialized Editions of the Original Star Wars Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

If I had just finished watching the first of these a few minutes ago I'd probably talk about how great it was and how amazing most of it looked.

ampere

Anth0ny said:
Is it really piracy if the movies aren't for sale? ;)
You could make this argument since they have discontinued the older versions.

Regardless, most anyone who cares for Star Wars owns some version of the orignal trilogy.

Dead Man

I haven't watched them yet, but I'm damn glad they exit. I don't really care too much about IQ, I just want to watch the original edit and shots.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The original prints still exist somewhere, regardless of what Lucas says.

Just wait til he dies or it becomes more profitable to release it in its non-jacked up format.

Dr Prob

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
He didn't just add the music though. He changed the composition of the fight. He really pulled a Lucas there by doing too much.

That scene is all kinds of wrong. Don't mean to pull a drive-by assessment of the guy's work based on the one scene that I've, err--seen so far, but how is any of that a good idea?

Lucas has gone nuts, this guy is jamming prequel music into/altering iconic scenes...what in the world is going on with these films?

7bI5B.png

Varna

Anth0ny said:

Holy shit... he fucken added Jar Jar to the end of Return of the Jedi? WHAT THE FUCK. I never noticed this before... What the fuck is wrong with this guy? How can he hate the people that made him famous so much?

Varna said:
Watch the video.. at about 5:40.
I did and now I have a headache. What the fuck?

Look I'm not even the worst critic of the Prequels (2/3 barring Hayden are pretty fun), but what the hell did he have to do that for.

I mean I understand how it wants them to have some sort of....no fuck it, I'm not rationalizing. He can easily have his and the original, but he can't do something that simple. Man I need to see the originals again. It's been forever since I didn't want to spend money for LD transfers and I really haven't seen the original originals for a long time.

shuri said:
wow another amateur hour cut featuring footages taken from different shithouse pirate versions, at different bitrates, resolution and whastnot!

EXCITINGGGGg

have you seen the blu ray version cgi of the PT? Talk about amateur hour...

Dr Prob said:
That scene is all kinds of wrong. Don't mean to pull a drive-by assessment of the guy's work based on the one scene that I've, err--seen so far, but how is any of that a good idea?

Lucas has gone nuts, this guy is jamming prequel music into/altering iconic scenes...what in the world is going on with these films?

7bI5B.png

That was probably one of the worst offenders. He definitely does some crazy cool stuff that took a lot of effort. Heck, Chewie gets a medal in the final ceremony now.

Qwomo

XiaNaphryz said:
Dismissing it because of the potential piracy landmines though? Don't see the issue with that. I probably shouldn't even be posting in this thread to be honest. :p
Don't you work for the people who do all these awful changes for Lucas?

Also: +1 for the Adywan cuts. Some of the changes a little chucklesome, but it's really technically awe-inspiring and worth a look, IMO. The Battle of Yavin is way improved.

This Harmy stuff looks amaaaazing though.

Brofist

Anth0ny said:
Is it really piracy if the movies aren't for sale? ;)
It really does seem like a grey area. I would hope anyone downloading these would at the very least have bought and own the movies in some form.

Munin

So I didn't look at a lot of these changes, in fact just one, and that was the landspeeder shot with the red hue underneath which the SE corrected and this guy undid. So WTF it is just about undoing ALL of the changes no matter what? That makes no sense either. SW fans are stupid sometimes.

Munin said:
So I didn't look at a lot of these changes, in fact just one, and that was the landspeeder shot with the red hue underneath which the SE corrected and this guy undid. So WTF it is just about undoing ALL of the changes no matter what? That makes no sense either. SW fans are stupid sometimes.

Because there's something about preserving as best as possible what the original version looked like. You can make changes all you want but it's nice to have that baseline available.

Let me in

It's about seeing the movies as they were made, blemishes and all. Historical accuracy. They weren't made with the technology of 2011 and the visuals should reflect that.

Are we going to revise Picasso works because he could have done better cubism with vector graphics? I surely hope not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Marty Chinn said:
It's faster, the sequence of shots are changed and duplicated to change how the fight flows, and the worst thing of all is they put prequel trilogy music to the fight when no music existed before. The music sorta taints the whole movie for me because it doesn't fit.

thats quite bad. There just isn't enough material to change how it flows without making it obvious he's reusing clips again and again, like an episode of Battletar Galactica in the 80's

mrklaw said:
thats quite bad. There just isn't enough material to change how it flows without making it obvious he's reusing clips again and again, like an episode of Battletar Galactica in the 80's

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed, either.

I don't really want things "fixed" by well-meaning fans. Just give me the original films, please.

Varna said:
Holy shit... he fucken added Jar Jar to the end of Return of the Jedi? WHAT THE FUCK. I never noticed this before... What the fuck is wrong with this guy? How can he hate the people that made him famous so much?

Oh my god :(

I am impressed and pleased. I would like for my son to be able to see the same movie I saw years ago.

Varna said:
Oh my. Really? No words. Lucas, what the hell happened to you?

Merino

Anth0ny said:
Obi-Wan vs. Vader revisited

I personally don't think it's horrible (Lucas' edits make me put shit in perspective), but I don't like it and wish it wasn't changed.
Except for the added music I actually kinda like that edit and the flow of the fight.

Unfortunately the exact same scène isn't perfect in the Harmy version either according to this clip as you can clearly see Obi-Wan's lightsaber disappear on two occasions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrzn1Ffq98Q&feature=channel_video_title

taq9uo.jpg

Lightsaber 'dot' in the Harmy version

2s6vinp.jpg

Same shot in the Original version

Though I haven't seen the DVD's yet and kinda hoping this mistake isn't in there.

Merino said:
Except for the added music I actually kinda like that edit and the flow of the fight.

Unfortunately the exact same scène isn't perfect in the Harmy version either according to this clip as you can clearly see Obi-Wan's lightsaber disappear on two occasions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrzn1Ffq98Q&feature=channel_video_title

taq9uo.jpg

Lightsaber 'dot' in the Harmy version

2s6vinp.jpg

Same shot in the Original version

Though I haven't seen the DVD's yet and kinda hoping this mistake isn't in there.
I don't think they wanted to change that. It's no an oversight in the project; it was intentional.

If you'd like to see it changed, go get Adywan's version.

Merino

Dreams-Visions said:
I don't think they wanted to change that. It's no an oversight in the project; it was intentional.

If you'd like to see it changed, go get Adywan's version.
??
I don't want to see it changed I want to see it like in the original. Unless I'm mistaking the Harmy version differs from the original in that shot as the lightsaber simply is no where to be seen in the Harmy edit save for a tiny blue dot.

kpop100 said:
It really does seem like a grey area. I would hope anyone downloading these would at the very least have bought and own the movies in some form.

Haha, I've purchased FOUR separate, different box sets of this damn trilogy - every one of them widescreen. I'm done until he delivers a real transfer of the unaltered OT.

mattp

that second picture isn't from the original. harmy's looks way closer to the original
lucas added that blue glow(which barely covers the stick anyway) for the 2004 dvd release if i remember correctly

edit:
see?
Comparison118.JPG

Merino

mattp said:
that second picture isn't from the original. harmy's looks way closer to the original
lucas added that blue glow(which barely covers the stick anyway) for the 2004 dvd release if i remember correctly

edit:
see?
ah great. As I said I wasn't to sure about the original material. Never seen the 2006 DVD's unfortunately. I got confused by this post linking to wrong reference material;

Marty Chinn said:

Esiquio

Hitokage said:
A while back there was the more ambitious X0 Project but Laserman, the guy leading it, came down with severe illness and the whole thing had to be called off.

This post interested me, so I did a quick Google search:

x0speeder89.jpg

Pretty impressive. Very sad that the project has been on hold for years and it's likely that Laserman has passed away by now...

Anth0ny

Esiquio said:
This post interested me, so I did a quick Google search:

x0speeder89.jpg

Pretty impressive. Very sad that the project has been on hold for years and it's likely that Laserman has passed away by now...

Yeah, that's a real shame. Apparently, they were taking the best laserdiscs of Star Wars and using the very best Laserdisc player ever made to create a preservation. That would have been awesome.

Anth0ny said:
Yeah, that's a real shame. Apparently, they were taking the best laserdiscs of Star Wars and using the very best Laserdisc player ever made to create a preservation. That would have been awesome.

Isn't the problem with that is the fact that the source material is SD and only letterboxed? I don't think any of the old releases were anamorphic.

Rich!

Marty Chinn said:
Isn't the problem with that is the fact that the source material is SD and only letterboxed? I don't think any of the old releases were anamorphic.

Doesn't matter. It'd still be better than the shitty DVD original edition transfers, and therefore the best we would have.

richisawesome said:
Doesn't matter. It'd still be better than the shitty DVD original edition transfers, and therefore the best we would have.

I gotta say the Despecialized versions end up being better than that then. What we need is someone to dig up a film reel and start digitizing that.

iamblades

Marty Chinn said:
I gotta say the Despecialized versions end up being better than that then. What we need is someone to dig up a film reel and start digitizing that.

^^

Digitizing and cleaning up an old reel shouldn't be all that much more effort than what this guy has done(i guess depending on the condition of the film), and for a film like star wars there have to be reels of it laying around that never made their way back to the distributor.

Though I guess the equipment needed to make high res scans of film stock is a bit more specialized than standard video editing stuff.

iamblades said:
^^

Digitizing and cleaning up an old reel shouldn't be all that much more effort than what this guy has done(i guess depending on the condition of the film), and for a film like star wars there have to be reels of it laying around that never made their way back to the distributor.

Though I guess the equipment needed to make high res scans of film stock is a bit more specialized than standard video editing stuff.
There are people who own prints of the Star Wars movies, but they have a lot to risk and little to gain by making people aware of it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
iamblades said:
^^

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30316610&postcount=118

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I have the 2006 dvds in immaculate condition w/ the original case. The only scenes I really hate are the anakin ghost and that ridiculous concert at jabbas. They look decent upscaled.

Cant believe Lucas made changes to the blurays. Fucker is trolling us no doubt.

AndresON777 said:
I have the 2006 dvds in immaculate condition w/ the original case. The only scenes I really hate are the anakin ghost and that ridiculous concert at jabbas. They look decent upscaled.

Cant believe Lucas made changes to the blurays. Fucker is trolling us no doubt.
Why did he want start adding weird shit like that concert? I mean I get the whole upgrade effects, but shit like that is just bizarre.

How different is this from the Hyperspace editions that are out there? Anyone know if it's worth checking these out if you've already seen the Hyperspace version?

Freedom = $1.05 said:
How different is this from the Hyperspace editions that are out there? Anyone know if it's worth checking these out if you've already seen the Hyperspace version?
What are generally considered to be thr best of the various fan edits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom