• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmy's Despecialized Editions of the Original Star Wars Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

AbsoluteZero said:
I don't understand....720p on a DVD9? I thought you needed Blu-Ray for anything above 480p.
it basically is a blu-ray. it's blu-ray format video but its on a dvd9

or something like that haha

I cant believe someone actually did this much work, saw the first 50 pictures in that Picassa album and my jaw in on the floor, SO MUCH WORK.

Let me in

I watched these over the past few days. The movies look fantastic. Some things, like the readdition of Vader's eyebrows, look kind of awkward. Everything else looks exactly as it should but better.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
A while back there was the more ambitious X0 Project but Laserman, the guy leading it, came down with severe illness and the whole thing had to be called off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is he planning a redo with the blurays as source? If so I'd be happy to buy the blurays on that basis, and hold off for his work

mattp

pretty sure he said no,
i think the differences between the sources would be a little too jarring then

alr1ghtstart said:
gotdamn
Comparison008.JPG

Now people over 30 can watch the film and not feel like they are losing their marbles when they think of it as just "Star Wars."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dreams-Visions said:
^
Check out Adywan's Episode 4 and 5: Revisited work. Amazing stuff.

Wow you're so fucking cool man. Like, can I borrow some of your swag?

don't the Adywan versions 'correct' things in the originals? I don't want anyone messing with the original trilogy, whether they think Ewoks are shit or not. Thats as bad as what Lucas is doing now IMO

(although I like the improved space shots - are they in any of these versions?)

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Dreams-Visions said:
^
Check out Adywan's Episode 4 and 5: Revisited work. Amazing stuff.

Yup, Adywan's are my favorite version to watch. I'll definitely check these out sometime though (and I'm still going to buy the bluray though)

3rdman

Neuromancer said:
I did but it sounds so good it's almost hard to believe.
I saw them over the weekend and it's good...real good considering the source material.

The only real complaint I have is that I think the coloring of the cloud cars in ESB is off...that's it. Everything else is stellar.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The picture quality on many of these pictures doesn't look very good. I know they screwed up some of the scenes on bluray, but the picture quality there for the most part looks stupidly better than this. I wonder if he'll re-do these when the BRs come out and he's good even better material to work with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lord Error said:
The picture quality on many of these pictures doesn't look very good. I know they screwed up some of the scenes on bluray, but the picture quality there for the most part looks stupidly better than this. I wonder if he'll re-do these when the BRs come out and he's good even better material to work with.

I think you could go 80-90% of the way to fixing the special editions just by removing a few key scenes/audio. I'm not so fussy about it saying episode IV or not, and some of the SE additions I'm fine with

(from the SW rant thread:)
me said:
ANH
- remove entire scene with Jabba
- remove some of the Mos Eisley entrance (stupid Jawa falling off dinosaur thing, other pointless CG).

ESB - dont' know whats been changed but I watched the DVD recently and nothing was that jarring.

ROTJ
- remove stupid dance scene in Jabbas palace. Don't think it'd affect much in the flow of things
- remove 'nooo' - should be doable by replacing the audio somehow with the DVD soundtrack.
- do something with Anakin's ghost. This is possibly the most tricky one, not sure how I'd do it.
- possibly shorten the ending with all the flypasts of other worlds
(I don't mind the new soundtrack at the end of ROTJ)

Maybe NeoGAF should have a go at a fan edit using the blurays as a source?

Speculator said:
Yup, Adywan's are my favorite version to watch. I'll definitely check these out sometime though (and I'm still going to buy the bluray though)
Obi-Wan vs Vader pisses me off so much in his version though. He just shouldn't have done that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
AbsoluteZero said:
I don't understand....720p on a DVD9? I thought you needed Blu-Ray for anything above 480p.
The dual layer DVDs that you buy in the store are encoded with MPEG2 and take up a lot more data to contain any given amount of video information.

This movie is encoded using H264, a much more efficient codec that compresses the data more than MPEG2 for the same amount of video quality. Most regular DVD players can't play the format, so you need to play it on your computer, or compatible media device.

It's sort of like how you can fit 15 CDs worth of songs onto one CD if you rip and convert them all to MP3.

Anth0ny

Marty Chinn said:
Obi-Wan vs Vader pisses me off so much in his version though. He just shouldn't have done that.

that's probably the only thing I can honestly say I don't like about A New Hope Revisited. Honestly, I wish the worst thing Lucas added to his special editions was him adding music to one scene.

Instead, we get incorrect colors, terrible sound, Greedo shooting first, obnoxious CG... the list goes on. Adywan actually fixes things that Lucas continues to leave alone after THREE re-releases of the film (lightsabers, continuity errors etc.)

Ripclawe

Banned
HammerOfThor said:
Can someone explain the Han shoots first thing? I'm too young to know of many of the changes :(

Not shitting on you but this quote hurts my soul... damn you Lucas for damaging the younger generation

Anth0ny said:
that's probably the only thing I can honestly say I don't like about A New Hope Revisited. Honestly, I wish the worst thing Lucas added to his special editions was him adding music to one scene.

He didn't just add the music though. He changed the composition of the fight. He really pulled a Lucas there by doing too much. There are other examples in Revisited too where he went too far. I'd have to rewatch it again to the point them out, but it really felt like he should have pulled back a couple times.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Marty Chinn said:
He didn't just add the music though. He changed the composition of the fight. He really pulled a Lucas there by doing too much. There are other examples in Revisited too where he went too far. I'd have to rewatch it again to the point them out, but it really felt like he should have pulled back a couple times.
Didn't he give Greedo a rageface?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That's not what I actually want, though.

I want the OT movies WITH updated/cleaned up effects shots, including CGI, but without the obnoxious content changes.

Htown said:
That's not what I actually want, though.

I want the OT movies WITH updated/cleaned up effects shots, including CGI, but without the obnoxious content changes.

Then you want Adywan's Revisisted cut. That is if you don't mind him going too far in some shots.

mrklaw said:
don't the Adywan versions 'correct' things in the originals? I don't want anyone messing with the original trilogy, whether they think Ewoks are shit or not. Thats as bad as what Lucas is doing now IMO

(although I like the improved space shots - are they in any of these versions?)
here's the full list of issues addressed:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/to...0p-HD-version-coming-after-ROTJ-R/topic/5942/

for example:
Code:
70 -HAN SHOOTS FIRST!! Greedo no longer shoots either.
:)

if it doesn't appeal to you for some reason...well...fuck man, it's still the best version I've ever seen and I consider myself about as dedicated as they come (just below wearing costumes and showing up to conventions).

Adywan did a wonderful job and is doing a wonderful job on Empire Strikes Back. It's amazing the dedication these people have. They work on these for *years*. I believe the ESB project has been rolling for 3 years now and is coming to an end soon. You should check out some of the HD trailers he's released on Youtube of ESB Revisited. It's just amazing. These are the kinds of people I want the OT to be in the hands of.

ampere

Well, I already own multiple copies of the movies so I ought to give this a viewing.

I was so excited for the Blu-ray announcement until Georgie-boy went full retard.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Angry Fork said:
It looks like a shit ton of work was put into this, smh @ dismissing it like this (or hating on any fan work in general when you're not forced to take part in it):
Dismissing it because of the potential piracy landmines though? Don't see the issue with that. I probably shouldn't even be posting in this thread to be honest. :p

def sim

Reading the comments, I think he added music to it. I'm indifferent about that change, I would have never noticed it.

Anth0ny

XiaNaphryz said:
Dismissing it because of the potential piracy landmines though? Don't see the issue with that. I probably shouldn't even be posting in this thread to be honest. :p

Is it really piracy if the movies aren't for sale? ;)

Hilbert said:
What is different about it? I haven't seen the original in at least a decade.

It seemed faster than I remember.

It's faster, the sequence of shots are changed and duplicated to change how the fight flows, and the worst thing of all is they put prequel trilogy music to the fight when no music existed before. The music sorta taints the whole movie for me because it doesn't fit.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Marty Chinn said:
It's faster, the sequence of shots are changed and duplicated to change how the fight flows, and the worst thing of all is they put prequel trilogy music to the fight when no music existed before. The music sorta taints the whole movie for me because it doesn't fit.

Ah I see. I felt like the fight felt more edited and chopped up than I remembered. Didn't even notice the music.

Hilbert said:
Ah I see. I felt like the fight felt more edited and chopped up than I remembered. Didn't even notice the music.

Here's the original for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCyZ2P9bCA&feature=related

That's not the only part of Revisited where I think he went a bit too far. Don't get me wrong, the work he did is amazing. Some of the changes are just so minor and anal that you just sorta tip your hat to him for adding such things. Like in the opening shot, he adds planet rotation to Tatooine when the original shot was static. He tries to fix anything that's inconsistant and does a good job of fixing some of those things. He even adds new CG like in the Falcon escape fromt he Death Star sequence. Amazing effort and job but there's a few scenes where I just felt he did something because he could and not that he should.

I would love a version of the film's with the improved CG of the special editions, without any additional effects. So, better looking X-Wings, without the fucking zoo in front of the Cantina. Basically, I'd love for them to do with these what they did with the original Star Trek series- rerelease the originals with spruced up CG.

Will never ever ever ever eveerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr happen though.

kharma45

Anth0ny said:
Obi-Wan vs. Vader revisited

I personally don't think it's horrible (Lucas' edits make me put shit in perspective), but I don't like it and wish it wasn't changed.

The needless music is my only main gripe with that scene, and Obi-wan powering up his lightsaber doesn't seem quite right either, but bar that, I quite like Adywan's edit.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Marty Chinn said:
Here's the original for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCyZ2P9bCA&feature=related

That's not the only part of Revisited where I think he went a bit too far. Don't get me wrong, the work he did is amazing. Some of the changes are just so minor and anal that you just sorta tip your hat to him for adding such things. Like in the opening shot, he adds planet rotation to Tatooine when the original shot was static. He tries to fix anything that's inconsistant and does a good job of fixing some of those things. He even adds new CG like in the Falcon escape fromt he Death Star sequence. Amazing effort and job but there's a few scenes where I just felt he did something because he could and not that he should.

Fascinating, that was interesting to watch both one after another.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Marty Chinn said:
Yeah, it's not horrible, but it really didn't need to be changed.

Duki

Banned
ive always wanted to watch that famous phantom menace fan edit that cuts a lot of the bullshit and fixes the problems

apparently it becomes a decent movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom