• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima interested in an MGS starring The Boss and a Rising sequel

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Poor guy just can't let his baby go.

After that MGS:GZ trailer can you blame him? the man is full of MGS ideas & to think if people had their way MGS:GZ wouldn't exist.
I say let Kojima do what he wants, a new game will come eventually, just like ZOE did, but MGS is his baby.
but seriously Kojima, like I said in the other thread, he should do another Metal Gear Sigint
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrsPUoZl-6Q
but instead have it include all games but with everyone but Solid Snake has the main character, and Solid Snake being cut out the picture, I mean really, minus the original two, Solid Snake has had 2 games & the last tried killing him off, and now Kojima wants to bring another character in, Raiden, Big Boss 2(more if you include PW) & The Boss, I really feel sorry for Solid Snake, I don't mind spin-offs or Big Boss, but we need more Solid Snake, hopefully MGS5 is a Remake of MGS1 & it'll continue from there
but no wonder he kept saying "Hey, I'm the main character!" in MGS2 when you pressed R2, he knew what was happening lol

Since the reveal of ground zeros I've been reading the metal gear wiki, more as a primer for rising than anything as I never have played much of the MGS series.

I have now decided that I will skip every cutscene when I play rising.

Way way way too much nonsense. Making it up as you go along is an understatement.

On the one hand I think a game starring The Boss will be cool.
On the other I imagine them introducing a new badass character who previously inspired The Boss, and then there'll be a new game starring that character, who was previously inspired by a new badass character, who was...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know whether Big Boss was genuinely a Snatcher or not yet? Or was he just grafted together from two corpses? Or both?

Was Ocelot truly controlled by Liquid, or just faking? Or truly controlled and then faking?

Do we know how Dr. Madnar managed to survive old age and a missile or two to the spinal cord? Why does Snake not react at all to the mention of a man who tried to murder him?

How did Vamp run up walls without the magical feet he had in MGS4? Even with them, how would he run on water?

Why did Vamp suddenly stop drinking blood?

Naomi suddenly gets cancer ten seconds before she conveniently dies... willingly?

MGS is the epitome of making shit up as you go along and copping out when you back yourself into a corner with utterly disastrous writing, and then sacrificing all mystery and subtlety for the sake of something that makes even less sense after the fact than when you initially wrote them. Then when you realize that you're either too lazy or lack the motivation to actually write something decent, you copy and paste the same one word explanation for everything, hiding behind baffling pretentiousness and a sense of humor best suited to 8 year olds.

I've yet to encounter another series with such an inconsistent plot. There are a lot of aspects I like about the MGS plot and mythology, but it sells itself short quite a lot. The gameplay is held back by the plot and they very rarely if ever complement one another, which is why I would rather that Kojima abandon the plot altogether and get creative with something new. As unlikely as it is.

Also; I was a die-hard Metal Gear fan before I began to care more about BIO. MGS1 and MGS2 remain in my top 10 and I really like their stories.

All your examples are from MGS4

Which I think most fans of the canon would agree is pretty retarded and retroactively ruinous

Prior to that game though I think MGS had a pretty interesting, enjoyable and for the most part consistent fiction for a videogame.

Do we know whether Big Boss was genuinely a Snatcher or not yet? Or was he just grafted together from two corpses? Or both?

Was Ocelot truly controlled by Liquid, or just faking? Or truly controlled and then faking?

Do we know how Dr. Madnar managed to survive old age and a missile or two to the spinal cord? Why does Snake not react at all to the mention of a man who tried to murder him?

How did Vamp run up walls without the magical feet he had in MGS4? Even with them, how would he run on water?

Why did Vamp suddenly stop drinking blood?

Naomi suddenly gets cancer ten seconds before she conveniently dies... willingly?

MGS is the epitome of making shit up as you go along and copping out when you back yourself into a corner with utterly disastrous writing, and then sacrificing all mystery and subtlety for the sake of something that makes even less sense after the fact than when you initially wrote them. Then when you realize that you're either too lazy or lack the motivation to actually write something decent, you copy and paste the same one word explanation for everything, hiding behind baffling pretentiousness and a sense of humor best suited to 8 year olds.

I've yet to encounter another series with such an inconsistent plot. There are a lot of aspects I like about the MGS plot and mythology, but it sells itself short quite a lot. The gameplay is held back by the plot and they very rarely if ever complement one another, which is why I would rather that Kojima abandon the plot altogether and get creative with something new. As unlikely as it is.

Also; I was a die-hard Metal Gear fan before I began to care more about BIO. MGS1 and MGS2 remain in my top 10 and I really like their stories.

So you got fed up with MGS's retconning...only to stan another series that has even worse retconning

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'd prefer if he did some sort of Snatcher reboot. Not the same gameplay, but something in the same kind of world.

It could be an open world game, you play as a detective/police officer and drive around the city, getting calls, making arrestations, investigations, etc.

televator

∀ Narayan;41671803 said:
Pretty sure he's talking about Kojima having enough on his plate.

Oops, didn't read correctly.

Hey, I posted 2 pics. One of BB and one of The Boss. The latter disappeared. Oh well, not important now.

Verendus

Banned
He should leave The Boss as she is. This is one of those moments where you don't expand and dig further, and simply leave things to the imagination of the audience. Show some damn restraint for once. There is absolutey nothing good waiting down that road.

DieH@rd

Banned

vqYuG.gif

Entire sequence.... Brilliant.

MormaPope

Banned
I'd prefer if he did some sort of Snatcher reboot. Not the same gameplay, but something in the same kind of world.

It could be an open world game, you play as a detective/police officer and drive around the city, getting calls, making arrestations, investigations, etc.

Just needs a Blade Runner like soundtrack and it would be the best thing ever.

Prevailer

Yuji Korekado told us the same..

Korekado: Right now we make the last adjustments for Metal Gear Rising. And we are working really hard in this last step of development. If we were to make a game for the next generation of consoles it might be a Sequel or something like this. When we created this game and the character of Raiden one of our goals was to make the players look foreward to see more of it. So when the players finish Rising and then ask for more it is definitly a consideration worth.

English interview script:
http://jpgames.de/2012/09/our-interview-with-metal-gear-rising-producer-yuji-korekado/

Youtube video interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLGI1jKuNS8

54-46!

Part of me wishes he would work on a new IP, on the other hand.. a game starring The Joy and Cobra when they storm the beaches at Normandy on D-day? can't say no to that.

SJRB

Gold Member
Kojima's been talking about a game with The Boss and the Cobra Unit ever since MGS3 released back in 2005.

If he wants to do it, he should.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Good evening, I'm Diane Simmons. Tonight's top story: a Boss game set in Normandy would be what MGS4 should have been.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
All your examples are from MGS4

Which I think most fans of the canon would agree is pretty retarded and retroactively ruinous

Prior to that game though I think MGS had a pretty interesting, enjoyable and for the most part consistent fiction for a videogame.

Completely agree. I want more MGS games from Kojima. Peace Walker was pretty good albeit the terrible story, but Ground Zeroes and Rising might remove the bad taste that MGS4 left in a lot of peoples' mouths.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I find it funny that people complain about Kojima making MGS games. That's what he does, get over it. This series isn't over by a long shot, and anyone who thought it would be after 4 was delusional.

Now, as for a game featuring The Boss, I've wanted this for 8 years now, and I think it could be amazing. Imagine a WWII game where you are The Boss in German occupied France all running on the Fox engine. That sounds so good.

Jawmuncher

Rising as its own series would be a good idea. Mainly since it would be something MGuniverse related that would hopefully keep going forward.

Since it seems like everything kojima will be doing with MGS is all in the past of the series.

Chemo

That's nice, but I'd really rather have more Solid Snake, Kojima. Time travel, fountain of youth, prequel game, I don't care. Just give me more SS.

This, right here. Constant overuse of Big Boss has really spoiled the mystique of the character... Big Boss was an almost mythical character in the lore prior to MGS3, and then MGS3 gave him a lot of character development, which is where it should have ended. Right now, The Boss is in that nice mythical status where Big Boss used to exist. Giving her more exposure is the best opportunity ever to turn a revered character into a normal one.

Don't give into the urge, Kojima. You've been shitting on Solid Snake for years. He is the MAIN CHARACTER of the franchise. It's time to rescript Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and make them fit nicely into the canon again.

YoungHav

Banned
MGS: Ground Zeroes should be like the Godfather 2. Going back and forth with part of the game w/Naked Snake in the 70s/80's and The Boss in the 30s/40s.

Espada

Wow, playing as The Boss would be an awesome idea. Ever since I fought the Cobra unit in MGS3 I've wondered what it'd be like to fight in WWI alongside them. You can bet your ass the final boss would be some Nazi prototype weapon... that roars.

It has to roar. That's a requirement.

Oh, and a Metal Gear Rising sequel is cool too. Metal Gear + Platinum Games is a match made in heaven.

Caesnd

The contrast between the image I get of Kojimas (and Shinkawa too, for that matter) lifestyle now, with the extravagant Rising tour across Europe, and the way he seemed back in the late nineties with the MGS1 documentary is quite staggering. I do wonder at times if affected him to such a degree that he's planning to coast on the success of MGS for the rest of his career.

Amey

Theme too risky for release

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, the latest game in Hideo Kojima and Konami’s long-running military drama that debuted in a flashy demo last summer, may not come out at all according to the idiosyncratic director.

Kojima:
“It’s always about killing aliens and zombies. Not that I don’t like those kinds of games. They are fun, but I think games have a long way to go before they can mature. Over the past twenty-five years I have tried to work with the Metal Gear series to introduce more mature themes, but it hasn’t gotten there yet. Compared to movies and books it still has a long way to go.”

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...d-zeroes-may-not-release-due-to-risky-themes/

Buntabox

The contrast between the image I get of Kojimas (and Shinkawa too, for that matter) lifestyle now, with the extravagant Rising tour across Europe, and the way he seemed back in the late nineties with the MGS1 documentary is quite staggering. I do wonder at times if affected him to such a degree that he's planning to coast on the success of MGS for the rest of his career.

It's his Star Wars, so probably. Not that I'm trying to compare him to Lucas, but he loves it too much.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Theme too risky for release

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, the latest game in Hideo Kojima and Konami’s long-running military drama that debuted in a flashy demo last summer, may not come out at all according to the idiosyncratic director.

Kojima:
“It’s always about killing aliens and zombies. Not that I don’t like those kinds of games. They are fun, but I think games have a long way to go before they can mature. Over the past twenty-five years I have tried to work with the Metal Gear series to introduce more mature themes, but it hasn’t gotten there yet. Compared to movies and books it still has a long way to go.”

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...d-zeroes-may-not-release-due-to-risky-themes/

Lurid headline. Is this your website?

totowhoa

Banned
Dude seems so pigeon-holed. I LOVE Kojima games, but I'm really ready for him to develop a new, personal project. I'm totally cool with him bringing in other studios, such is the case with Platinum. I'd rather him take a removed "creative supervisor" kind of role while directing something new.

For fuck's sake, stop ruining Metal Gear even more than it already has. We need original games.

well nobody gives a shit about kojima's involvement with Rising anyways I'm sure. it's the beautiful gameplay and batshit platinum cutscenes that got people hooked.

make it a series.

best metal gear game since 2.

edit: that godfather 2 idea is great, I wish. and yes kojima pretty much is george lucas now. mgs4 was prequel tier.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Boss is a shitty character, so I'd hope not to the former.
What is wrong with you people. One of the best female characters ever.

I would love a game featuring The Boss as the protagonist. She is by far the most interesting character in all of the MGS world. There is a derth of strong female protagonists that aren't sexualized in some way and I think The Boss could be the one to break that mold.
Indeed, in fact I can think of so painfully non-love interest non-sexualized strong major female characters, she was a breath of fresh air. I'd love a new game with --
However, she is definitely the exception to the rule in all MGS games, as every other female gets a close up of her ass in every cutscene or refuses to button her shirt all the way up so I have little faith that a game with The Boss would not resort to some garbage like that at some point.
--- oh. Damn that's... a good point and now I don't want that game anymore. ;_;

Which, by the way, is why I'm convinced a Boss game would be a disaster. It wouldn't be badass Boss filled with conviction; it would be a novice Boss asking stupid as hell questions, and being fucked over in obvious ways, and being set up for her role in MGS3 in a really hamfisted and somewhat contradictory fashion.
lol, only if Team Ninja is the dev. xD

Top Bottom