• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Metal Gear Solid Master Collection warns players that some content is ‘considered outdated’

A DISCLAIMER NOTES THAT THE “CREATOR’S ORIGINAL VISION” HASN’T BEEN CHANGED

The upcoming Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Volume 1 includes a disclaimer at the start, warning players that some of the content may not be considered as appropriate in the present day.

As reported by GamesRadar, the compilation opens with a warning message informing players that each game’s content is unchanged, and that as a result some scenes may have a different impact than they did up to 25 years ago.

“This game contains expressions and themes which may be considered outdated,” the disclaimer reportedly reads.

“However, these elements have been included without alteration to preserve the historical context in which the game was made and the creator’s original vision. Player discretion is advised.”

Although Hideo Kojima‘s name isn’t explicitly mentioned, the reference to “the creator’s original vision” implies a reference to him.

The disclaimer doesn’t refer to the exact scenes that are “considered outdated”, but they could refer to to the way the series portrays some female characters, particularly in the first game where Snake often hits on women and Dr Naomi tells Snake he can “do a strip search” on her if he completes his mission.

It could also refer to the series’ occasional use of cigarettes, especially in particular moments in the original MSX2 games where the player can use cigarettes to calm Snake’s nerves and make certain sections of the game easier, implying that smoking has benefits.

Senua

the simpsons helen GIF

Zheph

Both. I dont know if its a UK only thing but i have seent hose disclaimers on Netflix and Prime before. I dont watch much normal TV but when i'm at my Dads i have seen those disclaimers too, especially on older tv shows.
it's on prime for sure

I prefer that to cut content

JohnnyTropics

Neo Member
It's uplifting that we've come so far as a society that we can have a frank conversation before a game is released, and then again before you sit down to play a video game, about the dangers of smoking tobacco, or having a flirtatious conversation with a member of the opposite sex. And once we've all understood how incredibly harmful, dangerous, outdated, malicious, patronizing, and misogynistic such actions are, we can proceed to simulate sneaking up behind people and snapping their necks.

Stuart360

it's on prime for sure

I prefer that to cut content
Oh so do i, dont get me wrong lol.
I just find the fact that they have to put those disclaimers on, just to keep the blue haired brigade content, well i just find it cringy. People have common sense and understand things may be different in films and tv shows from decades before we entered clown world.

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense.

How can you suggest that the content is outdated yet at the same time state that you want to preserve the creator's ORIGINAL VISION?

You either think that the original vision is misguided (i.e. you a wokester), in which case you might as well actually cut the content you disagree with, or you don't, in which case you should just say nothing at all. Instead, all you do is make me read some useless virtue signalling nonsense that achieves nothing.

Irrefutable evidence of inbreeding at the development studio I swear to god.

Last edited:

Duchess

One of the bits is likely from Metal Gear Solid where Sniper Wolf is running away some place, and the camera does a slow motion shot of her butt.

(I think that happened..?)

One of the bits is likely from Metal Gear Solid where Sniper Wolf is running away some place, and the camera does a slow motion shot of her butt.

(I think that happened..?)
Meryl.

And its funny because that is done because a gameplay mechanic is that she is disguised as a guard, and you can tell which one is her because her walking animation is that of a woman. Which in itself would be considered problematic today...

Saber

Gold Member
At the very least they kept the original intact. Imagine if they would to change like Capcom did.
But the fact that theres a warning already state that someone in there is triggered by this game, but can do nothing other than slap a warning.

Personally I'm pleased that Konami are doing the responsible thing and warning the most morbidly obese generation in human history that cigarettes aren't actually cool, they are bad for you.

I'm also pleased that they're giving some context to the mild sexual objectification in their games to the generation that buys the bathwater of e-celebs and pays for feet pics of the girl next door, who makes six figures on OnlyFans taking photos of her p-flaps while wearing bunny ears in her living room.

Top Bottom