• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

Nokterian

Just unlocked the PC version. 30 FPS confirmed :(

nfsr30fpso3ceo.png

Jezus christ Ghost wtf.

The first time I collided off the road and kept going was a revelation for me. I didn't expect the level of openness and destrutability that is on display. The sense of speed and control feels more burnout than hot pursuit. Haven't even touched multiplayer yet and feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Chucker

nighttime with lightning and thunder. WOW.

This. A hundred times this. We've seen it in games a million times before, but it looks SO GOOD this time. All of the little effects, the leaves in the wind, the sea mist hitting the shores. I love it.

I'm having fun but haven't used any of the online features yet because of Origin. I picked this up on PS4 to avoid using Origin on PC. I'll have to register an account so I can try out some of the online interactions. You win this round EA.

Edit: Not too fond of being constantly pursued by the cops (I find the pursuits to be kind of annoying) but it might be more interesting online against real players.

nikos

Anyone find it hard to just cruise around? Seems like the cops are almost always on my ass, even if I'm just sitting on the side of the road.

There have been times, however, when I was driving at around 50mph near police and wasn't bothered so there must be some kind of mechanic to it.

Need people to play with on ps4. Add me: xpn_killer

I'm at work right now but I'll send an FR tonight.

My PSN ID: DogFacedGods

BTW, everyone can feel free to add me. PSN is nikos

I'm up for this too. PSN: RushdownTactics

Edit: looks like you can send FR through the PlayStation app. Sent one to all of y'all.

Anyone find it hard to just cruise around? Seems like the cops are almost always on my ass, even if I'm just sitting on the side of the road.

There have been times, however, when I was driving at around 50mph near police and wasn't bothered so there must be some kind of mechanic to it.

You could always switch to the cops.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Amazon just shipped my copy today, and it's coming....today

uh, same day delivery?

And while you experience an avalanche of good will from Amazon, I still haven't received the email to tell me when to expect it.

EA grossly underestimated interest in the PS4, I think.

Amazon just shipped my copy today, and it's coming....today

uh, same day delivery?

The same thing might be happening with my Injustice order. It was delayed from the 15th, and is still sitting as Shipping Now, but a rep assured me I should receive it today.

Gonna pose my question just one more time since more people seem to be playing the game now and more people are seeing this thread.

Question about earning cars as a cop. So when I'm choosing my mission, there's always 3 options (patrol, undercover and enforcer I believe) and each has a different variant of the same car I can earn. So let's say I can earn an Undercover version of a Camaro by taking on the Undercover mission. After I complete that, I have that version of that car unlocked, but not the patrol or enforcer version. At that point, I see no way of unlocking the other versions of that car. Is there something I'm missing? Hopefully my question makes sense.

Gonna pose my question just one more time since more people seem to be playing the game now and more people are seeing this thread.

Question about earning cars as a cop. So when I'm choosing my mission, there's always 3 options (patrol, undercover and enforcer I believe) and each has a different variant of the same car I can earn. So let's say I can earn an Undercover version of a Camaro by taking on the Undercover mission. After I complete that, I have that version of that car unlocked, but not the patrol or enforcer version. At that point, I see no way of unlocking the other versions of that car. Is there something I'm missing? Hopefully my question makes sense.

I believe that is correct, you only get one version of the car. You just have to decide which one you want. Haven't played it but watched a lot of gameplay vids.

kazebyaka

Banned
How the fuck do i play this game? Play a race- cops are after you, finish the race- cops are after you, sitting here trying to find an objective on the map - you are busted, biatch. You don't even need to provoke cops, they are after your ass by the default. The only way to play is to go to hideout to bank money after every event? This is some new level of bullshit, wtf?

How the fuck do i play this game? Play a race- cops are after you, finish the race- cops are after you, sitting here trying to find an objective on the map - you are busted, biatch. You don't even need to provoke cops, they are after your ass by the default. The only way to play is to go to hideout to bank money after every event? This is some new level of bullshit, wtf?

As a cop, you don't need as many SP, and even if wrecked you don't lose as many points. So it really doesn't matter how you play, just beat your objectives and keep busting those racers.

As a racer, you have to be extra careful because if you're busted, you lose all your SP. So I would say if you have decent amount of SP, find a hideout and bank it rather than risking losing it all. Simple as that.

kudoboi

Fixed?

Been playing it on PS4 and love it so far. Frame rate's been a rock solid 30fps, and looks fantastic. Liking it more than MW and HP.

it will take days or weeks to remove the FPS limiter and i bet EA will go on a banning spree after that. 30FPS is unacceptable for a racing game especially on PC. actually having a mandatory FPS limiter on ANY PC game is unacceptable.

Its like placing a speed limiter on a ferrari (ignoring the rules of the roads ofc)

OrangeOak

That doesn't sound to good :(
I hate things like that in free roam games it was the same with Assassins Creed 1 when peacefull free roaming was impossible due to guards chasing you almost non stop.

sangreal

Been having a lot of fun with this today. Almost done with the cop campagin. I feel like a griefer though going after the player racers. Especially when I'm chasing down their challenger in an aventador (or the souped up ferarri w/ level 4 weapons they give you early in the cop campaign)

I don't know how the racers feel about this since noone talks (not even sure you can), but I'm guessing it's not as fun as it is to chase them since they inevitably either disconnect or switch to cop.

Had a few racers I completely outmatch me though, no matter how many times I tried so that was a fun challenge

kazebyaka

Banned
As a racer, you have to be extra careful because if you're busted, you lose all your SP. So I would say if you have decent amount of SP, find a hideout and bank it rather than risking losing it all. Simple as that.
So after every race i need to go back all the time, endure a lot of loading screens etc? It disrupts the flow of the game like hell. Why can't i just race?

Commodore

For those like me and snagged this on the B2G1 deal, Amazon just sent me an update email updating the shipment date from Dec 30th to Nov 21st. Looks like they just got another shipment in so yay!

Mairu

How are people enjoying Rivals? Contemplating picking it up but with the developer not being Criterion I'm a bit weary. How does it compare to Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted (2012)?

RawNuts

Current gen version of this game has so many technical problems, I don't even want to compile a list.

I'll just post this (sorry about the shitty quality photo):
This is me driving along the interstate. None of it ever loaded in and then it froze my position seconds later, which required quitting the game. The game constantly freezes your car in a single position for significant periods of time, letting you watch as it loads in the world ahead of you. The game requires a mandatory hard drive installation even, but still has these streaming issues.

The biggest threat on the current-gen version of this isn't outrunning the police to bank your speedpoints, but rather trying to reach your hideout before the game glitches and forces you to quit or puts you into a cycle of constant crashing on respawn until you're wrecked.

H1PSTER

Sell this game to me Gaf, I'm hugely on the fence about it.

I loved Need for Speed underground and I could get into racing games, but I'm not fantastically good at 'em.

Does it have couch co-op? Any gameplay videos you believe would 'sell it' to me? What do you personally like about the game?

Or should I just wait for The Crew?

So after every race i need to go back all the time, endure a lot of loading screens etc? It disrupts the flow of the game like hell. Why can't i just race?

You're looking at it the wrong way. Rivals keeps you racing the ENTIRE time.

Finish in first with cops on your tail? Nice work. Now race to the closest hideout and bank those points before you're busted. Rivals is a constant scramble to the next checkpoint, finish line, repair shop or hideout. It never lets up.

Don't want to go back to a hideout? Start another race and combo your points. Big risk, big reward.

Eusis

Just unlocked the PC version. 30 FPS confirmed :(

nfsr30fpso3ceo.png
Yeah, definitely not regretting taking advantage of a PS4 deal for this over waiting on PC. Granted, I think the PS4 may outperform my PC anyway, but I could turn stuff off for a hopeful 60 FPS on PC if it were allowed, but when it's 30 regardless may as well go the safe route.
How are people enjoying Rivals? Contemplating picking it up but with the developer not being Criterion I'm a bit weary. How does it compare to Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted (2012)?
Developer's effectively Criterion from what I'm hearing people say, I think Criterion proper actually only has like 15 people left now, the ones that didn't want to make NFS forever. That's a problem in and of itself, but it bodes well for this game at least.

So when running from the cops is it smart when taking the off road to stop and wait?

I noticed as a cop someone did that to me and hid in the bushes lol. But I dont know if the AI is too smart for that.

txag2005

Banned
My god I can't even count how much sp I've lost as a racer so far. Just finished a hot pursuit in first, had almost 50k and boom...busted before I can get to the hideout. Six miles of getting hit by EMP's and rammed off the road by countless cops ends up doing that.

Yeah I probably suck at the game, but it's getting irritating. I really don't want to have to grind easier events but I feel like I have to at this point. Is there something I'm missing other than, "Don't suck"?

My god I can't even count how much sp I've lost as a racer so far. Just finished a hot pursuit in first, had almost 50k and boom...busted before I can get to the hideout. Six miles of getting hit by EMP's and rammed off the road by countless cops ends up doing that.

Yeah I probably suck at the game, but it's getting irritating. I really don't want to have to grind easier events but I feel like I have to at this point. Is there something I'm missing other than, "Don't suck"?

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm very close to giving up on this game but its so fun.

If you find the secret sauce lemme know.

Also,

Can you go to a hideout while being chased?

Geengrenzuh

Neo Member
Sell this game to me Gaf, I'm hugely on the fence about it.

I loved Need for Speed underground and I could get into racing games, but I'm not fantastically good at 'em.

Does it have couch co-op? Any gameplay videos you believe would 'sell it' to me? What do you personally like about the game?

Or should I just wait for The Crew?

You should checkout some twitch streams. I did that and asked some users about frame rate performance, online features etc. from what I saw, the game looks sick. Those weather effects really shine!

Not sure what to tell you honestly. It's happened to me, but It's one of those risk/reward things. It's one of those things where it gets easier when you figure out how to avoid things. Don't let it frustrate you too much. A few pointers I can think of:

• Abuse the gas stations, sometimes you can see a red sign where the station is so you don't need to check the GPS for it. They're usually red in color so just look out for them.
  • Upgrade durability for more life
  • Use a car that can take more damage
  • Use pursuit techs to help
  • Goes without saying, but try to avoid crashing into things as much as possible
  • Spike traps and things on the floor usually glow red, so keep an eye out for those
  • You can quickly set the GPS to locate the nearest hideout
  • Boost helps
Hope that helps some.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm very close to giving up on this game but its so fun.

If you find the secret sauce lemme know.

Also,

Can you go to a hideout while being chased?

Yep! You can have a cop right on your ass and you'll still be able to go in no problems.

Not sure what to tell you honestly. It's happened to me, but It's one of those risk/reward things. It's one of those things where it gets easier when you figure out how to avoid things. Don't let it frustrate you too much. A few pointers I can think of:

• Abuse the gas stations, sometimes you can see a red sign where the station is so you don't need to check the GPS for it. They're usually red in color so just look out for them.
  • Upgrade durability for more life
  • Use a car that can take more damage
  • Use pursuit techs to help
  • Goes without saying, but try to avoid crashing into things as much as possible
  • Spike traps and things on the floor usually glow red, so keep an eye out for those
  • You can quickly set the GPS to locate the nearest hideout
Hope that helps some.

Yep! You can have a cop right on your ass and you'll still be able to go in no problems.
YES! This will help a bunch, thanks

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I can't say this much about Amazon but they are really starting to aggravate me. I ordered this on Nov 12 for ps4 as part of the deal. The other 2 games I've already gotten but for NFS I still don't even have an estimated shipping day. Frustrating because I really need a racer for ps4 that was supposed to be DriveClub but well yea.

Some of the impressions here seem very love it or hate it. I was one of the few that didn't really enjoy burnout because it was an open world game so maybe this really isn't the racer I want but it will have to do.

Eusis

I mainly just think open world's a messy format for a racer, you don't really want to think about navigation, just racing. Nevermind that NFS adds the additional element of worrying about the cops while cruising around, and in a way that's innately more aggressive than GTA. But it didn't bug me THAT much in Burnout Paradise/Forza Horizon, though the cop angle could be more frustrating than before going by some of these posts.

Top Bottom