• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

10888598836_ea00dbff63_b.jpg

Release Date

PS4 - November 15
PS3 - November 19
Xbox 360 - November 19
PC - November 19
Xbox One - November 22

Official Website

Reviews

USGamer - 5/5
Need for Speed: Rivals takes some of the best features from prior franchise entries and combines them with a seamless single-multiplayer mode to create an absolutely terrific, utterly bonkers race-and-chase game that looks and sounds as good as it drives.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/need-for-speed-rivals-ps4-review-the-greatest-hits

Kotaku - YES
Need For Speed Rivals puts you in a giant connected web of high-speed car chases where you can join in or spoil other people's fun.
This Need For Speed feels a lot like an updated Burnout Paradise, in the best ways possible.

http://kotaku.com/need-for-speed-rivals-the-kotaku-review-1465382104

GameSpot - 8/10
Need for Speed: Rivals is very much in the tradition of Hot Pursuit, but that great, familiar gameplay has been infused with enough new elements to make it as thrilling here as it's ever been. It sure is good to hit the open road again.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/need-for-speed-rivals-review/1900-6415555/

Auto Express - 4/5
The huge, open-world environment, wide variety of cars, superb graphics, life-like weather and damage effects make Need for Speed: Rivals incredibly fun - we could happily play this game for hours at a time. However, the lack of split-screen multiplayer and a cockpit view seem like missed opportunities, and those who prefer more linear gameplay should look elsewhere.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/77963/need-speed-rivals-review#ixzz2kj9nlSKE

OXM - 8
Need for Speed Rivals is obviously the best-looking the series has been, thanks to the advent of new console hardware, but it's not definitively the best-feeling game in the series. It'll be tough to weather another pre-race lobby in other driving games after experiencing Rivals' seamless single-player/multiplayer mix, but it comes at the expense of a cohesive career mode, which might be slightly too chaotic for some. Fortunately, Ghost Games proves itself worthy of taking the keys from Criterion, as its debut ensures Xbox One is off to a rip-roaring start.

http://www.oxmonline.com/need-speed-rivals-xbox-one-review?page=0,1

EGM - 7/10
While the driving is superb and the visuals are stunning, the inherent limitations of Rivals‘ AllDrive concept begin to hamper the experience near the end. The result is a game that’s three-quarters great fun, one-quarter miserable, frustrating slog.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-need-for-speed-rivals/#

GamesRadar - 3.5/5
Need for Speed: Rivals is a wholly enjoyable open-world racer. The driving is solid, its streets are a joy to explore, and its racing assignments--though a bit repetitive at times--are incentive enough to keep you coming back for more.

http://www.gamesradar.com/need-for-speed-rivals-review/

Other Relevant Threads
Review Thread
Xbox One vs/& PS4 Thread

Made a quickie, let me know if you need anything else in the OP.

P.S. Game is fantastic on the PS4, probably the best title for me so far on the new console.

RoKKeR

I'm watching a stream right now and the guy just said "Calling air support" and the game responded almost instantly saying air support was inbound.

Damn, I can get behind voice controls like this.

Game is looking great, will probably pick it up when I get bored of Forza!

Game of launch for me!

Fast, fun and real pretty. The game keeps you racing ALL of the time. Chases blend seamlessly into races, and the mad dash to find a repair shop or hideout is tense.

I also love the handling model.

I can't wait to go online with this and bust some fools as a cop.

This essentially Hot Pursuit 2. It's a shame EA put no marketing muscle behind it, because this game is great.

Just go back to the dash. The game saves when you're in a hideout or command post.
Good to know. That's what I've been doing but since it's like you're in a multiplayer lobby the whole time it just feels weird to close out without actually quitting in-game.

Guess I'll get used to it. Thanks.

chris121580

Game of launch for me!

Fast, fun and real pretty. The game keeps you racing ALL of the time. Chases blend seamlessly into races, and the mad dash to find a repair shop or hideout is tense.

I also love the handling model.

I can't wait to go online with this and bust some fools as a cop.

This essentially Hot Pursuit 2. It's a shame EA put no marketing muscle behind it, because this game is great.

Absolutely. Both this and 2k14 tie as my favorite launch games. Just an incredible game

Bricfa

Anyone else get the DD verison of this?

I was able to play the tutorial, but now It's at the installing screen. Which I think it really means it's downloading the rest of the game. Kind of annoying that it doesn't do this at the PS4 OS level.

poros1ty

This game is awesome! I've played it a lot and it's a lot of fun. I wish people would seek out players more often though instead of just going against the AI.

If anyone wants to play, my psn is poros1ty_

sangreal

Anyone else get the DD verison of this?

I was able to play the tutorial, but now It's at the installing screen. Which I think it really means it's downloading the rest of the game. Kind of annoying that it doesn't do this at the PS4 OS level.

yes, I've been complaining about this constantly because it's ridiculous. You can't play past the tutorial until you download the entire game, which you can't do until you download and play the tutorial

and an unskippable tutorial in a racing game? really?

McWorked_You is my PSN ID for anyone who wants to get together and putz around in this one.

It's a great game and I echo the comments in this thread.

Bricfa

yes, I've been complaining about this constantly because it's ridiculous. You can't play past the tutorial until you download the entire game, which you can't do until you download and play the tutorial

and an unskippable tutorial in a racing game? really?
I wouldn't have minded the unskippable tutorial level so much if it didn't have unskippable tutorial cutscenes in it. Also the tutorial really failed to explain the actual driving mechanics. Yes it is a racing game, but I haven't really played this kind of racer since Burnout 3.

D23

This game is sold out everywhere.... I have to buy it from the psn. It will be my first digital release gamw

inner-G

Banned
This game is fun so far, could use a little AA.

Still looks good though overall, and plays amazing on the DS4!

Add me on ps4: Killbeast

@MTHanded: I saw it on the shelf at Best Buy and GameStop.

Didn't see an answer to my question from the other thread, so I figured I'll ask it here - how bad is the catch-up in Rivals? Most Wanted bad or less annoying? I absolutely hated it in Most Wanted, but can't remember any Hot Pursuit catch-up annoyances (could be that I just forgot them tho).

I was going to trade in Battlefield 4 and COD Ghost for 80$ credit and use it to buy this but, EA know we have been asking for an Underground Need for speed, AND THEY SKIPPED AN ENTIRE GEN WITH IT!
No more money until they do a damn underground style game I NEED CUSTOMIZATION IN MY LIFE!

inner-G

Banned
I was going to trade in Battlefield 4 and COD Ghost for 80$ credit and use it to buy this but, EA know we have been asking for an Underground Need for speed, AND THEY SKIPPED AN ENTIRE GEN WITH IT!
No more money until they do a damn underground style game I NEED CUSTOMIZATION IN MY LIFE!
This plays a lot like Burnout Paradise or something though, its pretty good.

Lima

The time for that is over. If market analysis showed that there is a big market for a new Underground title, EA will make it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

There is customization in the game.

You can paint your cars, add decals and upgrade them, provided you have enough points.

Another Underground would be nice though. Or another 2005 Most Wanted, complete with cheesy awesome cut-scenes.

jaypah

Bought this game Thursday for our PS4 that doesn't arrive until Monday. The wife and I are super amped to play it though and it's nice to see GAFfers and reviews saying it's solid.

This plays a lot like Burnout Paradise or something though, its pretty good.
Burnout Paradise iss not>undeground
The time for that is over. If market analysis showed that there is a big market for a new Underground title, EA will make it.
just like the time for a nba street is over?
EA doesn't know squat, if they knew they would have produced a better nba live 14 or better yet just canned their game again
There is customization in the game.

You can paint your cars, add decals and upgrade them, provided you have enough points.

Another Underground would be nice though. Or another 2005 Most Wanted, complete with cheesy awesome cut-scenes.
.... oowwww i cant.
I need that drift, that dat drag mang.
I need all that in next gen HD! I'll just spend the money on Infamous instead. or if I get tired of AC4(like beat it) and Killzone before that promo is done i might just trade em in for it

No store in my town had a copy ended up using the $10 credit that came with the PS4 to buy it digitally. So far I am really impressed its fun and the graphics are stunning. Can't wait to try remote play with this at work this week.

Nuklear

Banned
This game is very fun. I think it's the best out of the 4 games I own(Knack, NBA2K14, AC4, NFS). I love the way online play is integrated into it.

Picked this game up as one of my 3 PS4 games.

I really want to love it, but I find it very frustrating. I can't get away from the cops lol.

I keep loosing 10's of thousands of points and its very annoying.

Any tips?

Picked this game up as one of my 3 PS4 games.

I really want to love it, but I find it very frustrating. I can't get away from the cops lol.

I keep loosing 10's of thousands of points and its very annoying.

Any tips?

Sounds like you're better off banking point as soon as possible.

Also, you should always take any shortcuts or extra paths you find if you're on the run. Cops don't always follow you, so that'll give you a chance to lose them.

Ok, can anyone else get online? Everytime I try to sign into origin it tells me I have to be signed into PSN first....and of course I am signed in. I'm stuck

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ok, can anyone else get online? Everytime I try to sign into origin it tells me I have to be signed into PSN first....and of course I am signed in. I'm stuck

For some reason, it makes you create a new Origin account ,even if you already have one.

Great game. Hot Pursuit 2 is a good way of looking at it. I'm off to bed now, where I'm going to play this remote play style as my wife catches some sleep next to me. Good times ahead!

plagiar1ze on PSN, in case you missed the other dozens times I mentioned that.

Top Bottom