• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

kswiston

jvm said:
Or we can think of it as how all the different versions of MW2 [except those in the Xbox 360 MW2 systems] are lumped together to gives us #1 and #2 on the chart.

Imagine how frustrating the NPD top 10 would have been if they didn't lump together special editions of MW2. It wouldn't surprise me if at least one of the hardened editions sold well enough to make the list on its own. 10% of the 360 sales is still 420k.

jvm

Gamasutra.
poppabk said:
They have a specific price associated though, which would suggest they were all sold at the same store.
According to my information, NPD has a policy against revealing anything that would expose information about a specific retailer. This is, in my opinion, either software repackaged by a third-party or collecting multiple $20/$15 bundles by retailers under a generic heading.

Busaiku said:
Also, jvm, when you do your analysis, you usually include the average selling price of PS3/360.
Is it possible you can do one for DS as well? I'd really like to know how DSi's holding on.
Black Friday deals will probably throw that off, though. We can't assume they were all sold at 130 or 170.

jvm

Gamasutra.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Black Friday deals will probably throw that off, though. We can't assume they were all sold at 130 or 170.
This is right on. Even the Wii has had discounts/bundles from time to time (prior to the price drop, in particular) that can skew the ASP for a month.

JudgeN

God damn new PS3 owners, 700+ sold and Uncharted 2 isn't even in the top 20. From what I understand Sony has never had to much luck with their first party titles except for GT,GoW, and Singstar but god damn it still stings. Game should have easily been able to do a million but NOOOOOoooOOOOoo.

2real4tv

Psychotext said:
I posted this last night, but the thread was moving too fast and it got swallowed pretty quickly. So here it is again for those that might be interested.

............................................................................................

I hadn't updated these figures for a while... but I thought with the general interest around the insane MW2 sales it was probably worth doing.

So here they are, all of the PS3 and 360 games (sorry, never got around to doing the Wii data) which have sold over 500k in their first month on sale. I have more data than this, but it just becomes a wall of text if I include any more than the top games. If any of these titles were on sale for less then 7 days in their first NPD period, I have included the second period's figures (where available). These titles are marked with stars.

Days are the number of days the game was on sale for during the reporting period(s). The install base for each console is listed based on the number of consoles sold as the start of the month when each game went on sale.

Code:
[b]    			Sales	Days	360 Base	Attach Rate[/b]
CoD: MW 2		4200k	 19	16.49m		25.5%
Halo 3			3300k	 12	6.19m		53.3%
GTA IV			2721k	 33	10.05m		27.1% ***
CoD 4			1570k	 26	7.09m		22.1%
Gears of War 2		1560k	 23	11.58m		13.5%
Halo 3: ODST		1520k	 12	15.89m		9.6%
CoD WaW			1410k	 19	11.58m		12.2%
Gears of War		1000k	 17	2.89m		34.6%
Madden NFL 09		1000k	 19	10.66m		9.4%
Assassin's Creed	980k	 18	7.09m		13.8%
Resident Evil 5		938k	 23	14.55m		6.4%
Madden NFL 10		928k	 16	15.68m		5.9%
Madden NFL 08		897k	 19	5.92m		15.2%
Assassin's Creed 2	795k	 12	16.49m		4.8%
Fable II		790k	 12	11.21m		7.0%
Rainbow Six Vegas 2	752k	 19	9.6m		7.8%
Left 4 Dead 2		744k	 12	16.49m		4.5%
UFC 2009 Undisputed	680k	 12	15.06m		4.5%
Halo Wars		639k	 33	14.55m		4.4%
Star Wars TFU		610k	 19	10.86m		5.6%
Army of Two		606k	 33	9.6m		6.3%
Batman: AA		512k	 40	15.68m		3.3% ***
Code:
[b]    			Sales	Days	PS3 Base	Attach Rate[/b]
CoD: MW 2		1870k	 19	9.02m		20.7%
GTA IV			1443k	 33	4.21m		34.3% ***
MGS4			775k	 24	4.42m		17.5%
Madden NFL 10		665k	 16	8m		8.3%
Madden NFL 09		643k	 19	5.05m		12.7%
Killzone 2		619k	 37	7.24m		8.5% ***
CoD WaW			597k	 19	5.65m		10.6%
Resident Evil 5		585k	 23	7.24m		8.1%
Uncharted 2		537k	 19	8.7m		6.2%
inFamous		527k	 40	7.58m		7.0% ***
Batman: AA		506k	 40	8m		6.3% ***

Those Halo numbers make me want to throw up in my mouth a little....such an over rated game...sad that I was part of that flock

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The 360 has received a total price adjustment of $100 since launch, compared to the original $399 and $299 Pro and Core models. That's $100, in 4 years.

This is very true. Didn't think about that at all. In 2005 the price of entry for the machine was $299 and in 2009, the price of entry for the machine is $199.

LCfiner

Captain Tuttle said:
I'm floored that UC2 isn't in the top 20.

I’m a little saddened but not surprised at all.

The Nathan Drake character and the whole “grand adventure” vibe of the series really hasn’t done that well with the mass market.

a shame, imo.

EXGN

Wow, I didn't expect Uncharted 2 to be in the top 10, but not even in the top 20? I was expecting it to at least do another 150K-200K this month... That's abysmal for a potential GOTY candidate.

Vinci

Danish
I don't know how you people can talk all witty and/or analytical with all these dead bodies lying around. Damn place is a graveyard.

Nice start for NSMB Wii. Otherwise, pretty normal month.

*shrugs*

Shogun PaiN said:
I think its still only the list -

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
4. Assassin’s Creed II (360)
5. Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
6. Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
7. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
8. Assassin’s Creed II (PS3)
9. Dragon Age: Origins (360) - 342,254
10. Mario Kart (Wii)
11. Wii Play (Wii)
12. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)
13. Value Game Bundle (Wii)
14. Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story (DS)
15. Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) - 177,008
16. Value Game Bundle (Wii)
17. God of War Collection (PS3)
18. Halo 3: ODST (360)
19. Borderlands (360)
20. Madden NFL 10 (360)

But you could add the Dragon Age numbers and get a very rough idea.
go go borderlands

value game bundle for the lolz

JudgeN said:
God damn new PS3 owners, 700+ sold and Uncharted 2 isn't even in the top 20. From what I understand Sony has never had to much luck with their first party titles except for GT,GoW, and Singstar but god damn it still stings. Game should have easily been able to do a million but NOOOOOoooOOOOoo.

Uncharted 2 did sell a million in the US between October and November.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/104/1044637p1.html

I wasn't surprised to not see it in the Top 20, but the Gamasutra mentioned that there were 34 titles sold over 100k. We can hope that it is one of them.

OldJadedGamer said:
I think people were expecting the sales to match the quality and that's where the small let down has come from but traditionally, PS3 first party titles have never really been huge sellers.

I'm just not sure where the market was supposed to come from for this game to become a huge blockbuster on PS3. You're looking at a game type (weird TPS/adventure hybrid) that doesn't really exist as a market presence and which would generally be expected to underperform pure shooters. If anything it seems to me that UC2 is outperforming what would be an expected mediocre start based on what kind of game it is on the back of its attractive graphics, incredibly strong WoM, and developer pedigree.

Deku said:
That's usually a signal for a new round of hardware launches, and by every leaked rumour we've seen, that seems to be exactly what is being planned for 2011.

Yep, we're probably looking at launches staggered over 2011 and 2012. The "10-year lifespan" thing was always hot air.

Grecco said:
Getting close or even beating MW2 is not out of the question imo.

Just the fact that it won't have the MW branding on it guarantees it won't hit MW2's numbers, IMO.

kswiston said:
However a lot of people in that expanded audience will not be used to tech going obsolete in a few years.

Errr, what? The expanded audience is, if anything, more amenable to buying new hardware since they're both not used to a specific price/value calculation for a "generation" the way traditional gamers are and because Nintendo's products are cheap enough that no one's going to feel burned the same way when they get replaced.

If anything, I think you can look at Nintendo's success getting people to replace their DSes with a completely pointless upgrade like the DSi as evidence of how this will go.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I know I said I wasn't going to go quote digging, but I said exactly this in the MW2 to sell 17-18 million thread:

I agreed with your numbers in that thread and said:

OldJadedGamer said:
I see this number if not more.

Then of course, there was this response to my post:

Y2Kev said:
These are first month sales (indicated very clearly). 1.5 million is more than 3x what Modern Warfare 1 sold month one. You seriously see 1.5+ ("if not more") for PS3 in November of 2009?

Of course, we're two years later and with many more installed consoles, but there's nothing to suggest that that proposed figure is within the realm of possibility for PS3.

Well, Y2Kev... since the PS3 version sold 1.8million, yes... I seriously see 1.5+ (if not more) for PS3 in November.

DaveTheSnake said:

Maybe you should read that article again there, Chief. It is literally impossible for UC2 to have sold more than about 700k in those two months.

DaveTheSnake said:

I wasn't surprised to not see it in the Top 20, but the Gamasutra mentioned that there were 34 titles sold over 100k. We can hope that it is one of them.
That article doesn't mention region. Gamespot's indicates it was global sales not U.S. It would've had to do 460k this month (and be in the top 10) if it was 1 million the U.S.

jman2050

DaveTheSnake said:

I'm pretty sure that number is worldwide given the date of the article and the fact that October and November's NPD numbers would have it nowhere close to 1 mil.

sfog

I picked up Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World out of a Best Buy bargain bin last month for $15, and it just rang up as something generic like "$15 DUMP BIN GAME". Is that situation similar to what those "value bundles" are referring to?

kswiston

Shogun PaiN said:

5. Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
7. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
10. Mario Kart (Wii)
11. Wii Play (Wii)
19. Borderlands (360)
20. Madden NFL 10 (360)

Worth pointing out that the Dragon Age numbers should be ~362k and ~190k on this list.

DMeisterJ said:
Why is it being compared to the 360? I don't see how the fact that it didn't outsell the 360 is relevant to the 'surge' falling off, and somehow the fact that it had it's best non-December month ever is not relative to the fact that the surge isn't falling off.

I hope the surge continues to fall off more next month as the PS3 will probably experience it's highest sales at that point. :/

Because it just had it's price cut and everyone expected that the surge will continue. SONY very recently (remember this is from November) dropped the price and went full force with a new marketing plan to really put some heat on the 360. It seemed that it was doing great with this last NPD, but with this one it's still doing good but it's losing steam ratio wise.

LosDaddie

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Well, Y2Kev... since the PS3 version sold 1.8million, yes... I seriously see 1.5+ (if not more) for PS3 in November.

I think too many let their "No Dedicated Servers" rage cloud their judgement of how MW2 would perform. Either that or they dismiss MW2's marketability because it appeals to "casuals".

imtehman

Banned
DaveTheSnake said:

read the article babe

We assume Rosenberg is talking world-wide sales.

there's literally no way for uncharted 2 to sell 1 million in the U.S. with the NPD numbers, unless they were referring to shipped #s

borsdy

Banned
smurfx said:
wow really thought the ps3 would beat the 360 this month.

72wvsw.gif
Hahah, nice job with this!

charlequin said:
Maybe you should read that article again there, Chief. It is literally impossible for UC2 to have sold more than about 700k in those two months.

I read the article, Chief, and I read the title. Here's the title of the article: "Uncharted 2 Sales Topping One Million Units".

Here are more articles that state the exact same thing:

Report: Uncharted 2 Sell One Million Copies - http://www.industrygamers.com/news/report-uncharted-2-sells-one-million-copies/

Uncharted 2 Crosses The 1 Million Sold Mark - http://kotaku.com/5403485/uncharted-2-crosses-the-1-million-sold-mark

So it is possible because it happened...

DaveTheSnake said:
I read the article, Chief, and I read the title. Here's the title of the article: "Uncharted 2 Sales Topping One Million Units".

Report: Uncharted 2 Sell One Million Copies - http://www.industrygamers.com/news/report-uncharted-2-sells-one-million-copies/

Uncharted 2 Crosses The 1 Million Sold Mark - http://kotaku.com/5403485/uncharted-2-crosses-the-1-million-sold-mark

worldwide dude, worldwide. Not in npd. "In the US" means NPD. Sony PR means the game's total sales, which at that point are likely shipped figures.

Sobriquet

DaveTheSnake said:

WORLDWIDE

imtehman said:
read the article babe

there's literally no way for uncharted 2 to sell 1 million in the U.S. with the NPD numbers, unless they were referring to shipped #s

Doesn't NPD not include certain stores and websites?

Nutter

DaveTheSnake said:

Ever think that he is talking WW? you are in a NPD thread. According to NPD.. the game is way blow a million in the US.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OldJadedGamer said:
I agreed with your numbers in that thread and said:

Then of course, there was this response to my post:

I ate crow on the first page in this thread.

In my defense, I massively underestimated the 360 number too. I just did not comprehend the popularity of this franchise.

(still kinda don't)

DaveTheSnake said:
Doesn't NPD not include certain stores and websites?
If you're going to go after people and make arguments like you have been, at least do a little research into what you're talking about first, c'mon.

kswiston

charlequin said:
Errr, what? The expanded audience is, if anything, more amenable to buying new hardware since they're both not used to a specific price/value calculation for a "generation" the way traditional gamers are and because Nintendo's products are cheap enough that no one's going to feel burned the same way when they get replaced.

If anything, I think you can look at Nintendo's success getting people to replace their DSes with a completely pointless upgrade like the DSi as evidence of how this will go.

I'd say you have things completely backwards. I'd argue that the majority of people buying the DSI (and the DSL before it) are first time DS owners. Discounting the people replacing broken/lost/stolen systems, I'd say that the average GAFfer is much more likely to double/triple dip on DS revisions than your new "casual" gamer.

Your traditional hardcore gamers would run out and buy new systems every 3 years if the latest and greatest titles were appearing on them. Most people wouldn't.

pr0cs

Yikes are the IGN and GT threads on the sales results a disaster. Can't go 1-2 posts without talk of RROD and other things that shall be not named for fear of banning.

borsdy

Banned
pr0cs said:
Yikes are the IGN and GT threads on the sales results a disaster. Can't go 1-2 posts without talk of RROD and other things that shall be not named for fear of banning.
You wouldn't actually be claiming this just from referring to it, you know?

Y2Kev said:
I ate crow on the first page in this thread.

In my defense, I massively underestimated the 360 number too. I just did not comprehend the popularity of this franchise.

(still kinda don't)

Well, you did on the second page but who's counting? I wasn't rehashing it, I actually didn't see your first comment cause it was going so fast at the time but I had forgotten about that thread until the link was posted and found your follow up post (and tone that went with it) kind of amusing in the light of the new numbers.

Don't worry, we all make mistakes. That's why they put erasers on pencils.

Y2Kev

OldJadedGamer said:
Well, you did on the second page but who's counting? I wasn't rehashing it, I actually didn't see your first comment cause it was going so fast at the time but I had forgotten about that thread until the link was posted and found your follow up post (and tone that went with it) kind of amusing in the light of the new numbers.

Don't worry, we all make mistakes. That's why they put erasers on pencils.
Me. Real men use 100 posts per page. I find 50 to be much too much clicking for the same amount of content.

jett

D-Member
Shogun PaiN said:

5. Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
7. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
10. Mario Kart (Wii)
11. Wii Play (Wii)
19. Borderlands (360)
20. Madden NFL 10 (360)

Man PS3 owners really and truly suck dick. U2 not even in the top 20...bleh.

cleveridea said:
360 DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS 342,254
360 DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS COLLECTOR'S ED 19,888
PS3 DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS COLLECTOR'S ED 11,728
PS3 DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS 177,008

Whoa Dragon Age sold surprisingly well. Surprising to me anyway. :p

Y2Kev

AniHawk said:
Why? Games like that are very frontloaded.
It does have multiplayer, which should give it a little more life. But I don't think the distinction between 20 and, say, #22, is all that meaningful if you're talking about a few thousand units.

If it's selling 60k a month or so, then yeah, that's pretty bad.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, Inside Story is doing pretty well. good for it!

Top Bottom