• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

ZeoVGM

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Boy this is a dumb comment and I have to wonder if you thought about it before you made it.

He doesn't want to spend $120 on a game and having a big useless hunk of plastic in his living room. He is fine with spending $170 on two games ($85 each), or $220 on three ($73 each). Does this make any more sense to you?

Actually you could get it for $90 on Amazon just the other day. Maybe even still. You can get it other places for $100 too. And it's been known that a sequel is coming next year anyway, so the point is kind of void.

But yes, that does make sense. Though I feel a great game is worth the price either way.

Reikon

DustoMan said:
I'm curious to hear how DJ Hero did in it's first full month since it only had a few days in Oct. For some reason I find the game really appealing, but I don't want to commit to it unless there's a chance of there being a DJ Hero 2.

211k. Source

Basileus777 said:
I don't think it's particularly important how good UC2's multiplayer really is. The perception that it's a single-player franchise is all that really matters.

All I'm saying is that juggernaut HD games seem to have a fairly substantial online component (for better or worse).

NeoUltima said:
And they also increased sales 88% over last year
The guy is rooting for the failure of a console, even though lots of things have been done to make this console better value for consumers. It's a prime example of fanboyism, and doesn't deserve to be quoted. As a sidenote, I greatly prefer fanboys who are irrationally positive and excited about the games/consoles from their "own team", than the fanboys that gloat about the failure of "the other teams". This sadly was an example of the latter.

faridmon

NeoUltima said:
And they also increased sales 88% over last year
but i really wonder sometimes, is it really enough to satisfy them given that they had to go all out with Marketing/pimping/hyping the PS3.

sometimes you never know if they are happy to be in this situation or not, we can only extrapolate their thoughts on their situation.

Souldriver said:
The guy is rooting for the failure of a console, even though lots of things have been done to make this console better value for consumers. It's a prime example of fanboyism, and doesn't deserve to be quoted. As a sidenote, I greatly prefer fanboys who are irrationally positive and excited about the games/consoles from their "own team", than the fanboys that gloat about the failure of "the other teams". This sadly was an example of the latter.
and this drives me crazy and annoyed. i really don't care for consoles this gen (especially HD consoles), but i wouldn't go around and root for their failure

While I'm not surprised LBP PSP didn't sell, I still don't get why it didn't sell. It had a lot of advertising. =/

Also, While I did predict Resident Evil: DSC would not sell this month, I'm still curious as to why it performed so much worse than UC. They were released in the same time frames, and both were two days away from the release of a new mario game XD.

Is it fatigue from the genre? Lack of advertising? It's certainly not the lack of RE userbase because UC did sell over a million units, and RE4: Wii did even more than that.

Did UC get ads? I don't recall any, but I recall them for RE4 Wii for some reason.

NeoUltima

faridmon said:
but i really wonder sometimes, is it really enough to satisfy them given that they had to go all out with Marketing/pimping/hyping the PS3.

sometimes you never know if they are happy to be in this situation or not, we can only extrapolate their thoughts on their situation.
Happy with the PS3s situation as a whole? No
Happy, or at least satisfied, with recent happenings? Yes. Slim is performing within realistic expectations.

szaromir

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
When developers are asked, how many especially developers with super close ties to the console maker say that their games are selling horribly?? With these guys, they have no other thing to say besides that the games are selling fine even if they are not.
Uncharted 2 has still sold fine for what it is. It sold IIRC 600k in the US in the first month and it debuted strongly across PAL territories. If it was an ordinary 3rd party game, I don't think people would bemoan over UC2's performance as much as they do. It's just it has expectations as the only notable 1st party exclusive this Holiday season to single handedly win the console war.

faridmon

Rush2thestart said:
While I'm not surprised LBP PSP didn't sell, I still don't get why it didn't sell. It had a lot of advertising. =/

Also, While I did predict Resident Evil: DSC would not sell this month, I'm still curious as to why it performed so much worse than UC. They were released in the same time frames, and both were two days away from the release of a new mario game XD.

Is it fatigue from the genre? Lack of advertising? It's certainly not the lack of RE userbase because UC did sell over a million units, and RE4: Wii did even more than that.

Did UC get ads? I don't recall any, but I recall them for RE4 Wii for some reason.

as for LBP PSP, first you have to consider its on the PSP, that alone increases the games chance 'not to sell'. You do remember MotorStorm PSP, GT PPSP, Jak & Daxter: Lost Frontier, GTA: CTW and a lot of more games the past 2 months and none of them sold well.

and second, you have to also consider that LBP was not a strong seller to begin with. The brand name is not really strong and the PS3 version only sold well when it was sub 20 quids, even with the huge Marketing behind it.

third, it came against all those big titles. even on the PSP alone, you have to consider all those games i have mentioned plus more. Think about it, if you were a kid, would you actually buy or ask for LBP PSP or say Jak & Daxter or even the cheap Daxter game.

you know, i am still baffled why Sony thought to release this game on teh PSP at this time, i never thought it had any chance to sell. at all.

as for RE:DSC, i am actually predicting to bomb relatively to other RE games on the Wii, UC did not had lot of Advertisement, but it followed RE4 which many people considered and is still consider the one of the best mature action game on the system. That alone made the people buy it along with RE4.

RE: DSC has no chance since, the genre is bit overflowed with titles and the Wii not have a great success with 3rd party games.

I am just interested in how Capcom will react to RE:DSCs not-so-good sales after Spyborgs badly flopped.

faridmon

NeoUltima said:
Happy with the PS3s situation as a whole? No
Happy, or at least satisfied, with recent happenings? Yes. Slim is performing within realistic expectations.
that's hard to say mate, after so many talk about its success and so, to have its software not to sell gangbusters (even though Uncharted sold good, but compared to fist party titles on the Wii and the 360 its still nothing)

i wouldn't call it performing like it was expected to do, but who knows, i am totally rubbish at those analysis.

faridmon

elrechazao said:
the flagship franchise for the entire PS3, the most critically lauded game of the entire year?

That's selling fine for what it is?
so you do go against everyone. i am happy i am not the only one.

antiloop

elrechazao said:
the flagship franchise for the entire PS3, the most critically lauded game of the entire year?

There is no hope for mankind. (or at least the US)

:)

Anyone that can't clearly see that the PS3 will overtake the 360 in WORLDWIDE sales next year is seriously anti-intelligent.

I see putting the PS3 in as much negative light as possible is still hip these days.

szaromir

Banned
elrechazao said:

It's a sequel to a moderately successful game that follows pretty much the same formula - did you expect its popularity to explode all of a sudden? It's Sony's fault that they released only one big game in the Holiday season, not Uncharted 2's.

Vinci

Danish
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Anyone that can't clearly see that the PS3 will overtake the 360 in WORLDWIDE sales next year is seriously anti-intelligent.

Educate away then.

EDIT, not directed at you: I love when people assign super-duper massive game status to games that perform only well, despite all evidence to the contrary. Uncharted 2 was NEVER going to be significantly bigger than Uncharted. And Uncharted 3 will not be significantly bigger than Uncharted 2.

Just enjoy the game and quit worrying about it.

MidgarBlowedUp said:

I see putting the PS3 in as much negative light as possible is still hip these days.
LTD worldwide sales?

faridmon

MidgarBlowedUp said:

*sigh* its called being ''reasonable''

you know, it may over take the 360 or may not, but as it goes at the moment, is not pretty sign.

also even if its overtake the 360, to have a game like Fable 2 to outsell every hyped PS3 first party game is just silly.

Sony is doing terrible job at making people aware of their titles.

OldJadedGamer said:
No it's not. Price of entry has only dropped $100. Everything included above the entry level machine was all personal choice if you need it or not. Not everyone needs the "high end" model. Right now, I've personally been on the hunt for a good deal on an Arcade unit.

Same as PS3. It was $399 and is now $299.
One extra boost for Xbox360 is that it is still $100 cheaper than PS3 @ $199.

FrankT

MidgarBlowedUp said:

Tell us more please. Listening intently.

Yamauchi

Banned
Things that surprised me:

360 outselling the PS3
The PSP being practically dead
MW2 numbers

Things that didn't surprise me:

Nintendo dominating hardware sales

Loudninja

szaromir said:
Uncharted 2 has still sold fine for what it is. It sold IIRC 600k in the US in the first month and it debuted strongly across PAL territories. If it was an ordinary 3rd party game, I don't think people would bemoan over UC2's performance as much as they do. It's just it has expectations as the only notable 1st party exclusive this Holiday season to single handedly win the console war.

Its 1.36 million worldwide btw.

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:

The PS3 is 6.2 Million units behind the 360 WORLDWIDE.

Chrange said:
It just seems like there isn't that game-buying fever in the PS3 userbase right now, the kind of 'gotta have it' crowd that creates those million-selling first days.

Two million of 'em went out and bought MW2.

Leondexter said:
I agree. Uncharted is hardly the only game worthy of better sales, plus it had its moment on top last month. It's a hit game. These crybabies should save their tears for awesome games that aren't million sellers, like Demon's Souls (although that's quite a hit for its small publisher).

Yeah, I didn't mind when people did this for, say, Valkyria, since that's the sort of game that really does get lost in the shuffle between bigger successes. UC2 is definitely an overall success for ND, it's in zero danger of not receiving another sequel, so there's really no reason to get petulant about its performance.

Rush2thestart said:
While I'm not surprised LBP PSP didn't sell, I still don't get why it didn't sell.

It's on the PSP.

Chrange

Banned
szaromir said:
It's a sequel to a moderately successful game that follows pretty much the same formula - did you expect its popularity to explode all of a sudden? It's Sony's fault that they released only one big game in the Holiday season, not Uncharted 2's.

If Sony had two or three big games though, people would be saying Uncharted 2 was lost in the shuffle of awesome games.

530k sales launch month, then off the top 20 in the second isn't a great showing for a flagship franchise - and I don't know what else you can call Uncharted at this point. If Halo or Gears of War did it, would people call that 'okay for what it is' sales?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
In terms of iterative growth, though, I think Uncharted 2 did a pretty good job. It basically sold what the first game sold in the first month, and it will continue to sell for a few months. I wanted it to sell more, but I guess the best way to calculate an expectation is to look at the predecessor.

FrankT

Karma said:
The PS3 is 6.2 Million units behind the 360 WORLDWIDE.

33.5 versus 27 shipped WW as of the last quarter for each respectively. 6.5 which just so happens to be right around what it was before the PS3 launched.

charlequin said:
Two million of 'em went out and bought MW2.

Yeah, I really don't understand how the PS3 has sold to so many people that clearly just want to buy multi-platform games. Well it makes more sense now that the price is halfway reasonable, obviously.

I guess that Sony's first party devs just have a better grasp on selling to the game reviewer/gaff reading public than for the game buying public at large.

yoopoo said:
FYI PSP'S top selling game came in @ 150th spot. It was some shitty UBI game.
I don't get this. Where's Motorstorm? Resistance? Hell, Jak and Daxter were huge on Ps2, so where is The Lost Frontier?

This is worse that Uncharted 2 I would say. No Psp2 i bet.

Edit: And thinking into it more, after the Psp Go bomb the chance of a Psp successor is almost zero.

Top Bottom