• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

Opiate

Regarding Uncharted: the genre kings have already been crowned. Just as Forza was too late to the market to attack GT's throne, Uncharted was far too late to dethrone CoD/Halo/Gears.

After a genre begins to mature, the top games in that genre take an increasingly large portion of the sales, and new IPs begin to be disproportionately punished in the marketplace. Bad games do even worse, and good ones do less well than expected, unless you are one of the chosen few. This will be increasingly true as time goes on.

legend166

The fact that whatever Game Value Bundle is sold something like 250k units tells me 3rd parties need to be more aggresive with their software pricing on the Wii.

Penguin

Opiate said:
Regarding Uncharted: the genre kings have already been crowned. Just as Forza was too late to the market to attack GT's throne, Uncharted was far too late to dethrone CoD/Halo/Gears.

After a genre begins to mature, the top games in that genre take an increasingly large portion of the sales, and new IPs begin to be disproportionately punished in the marketplace. Bad games do even worse, and good ones do less well than expected, unless you are one of the chosen few. This will be increasingly true as time goes on.

I don't see Uncharted 2 being similar to those games, but I get your point.

Though, the original Uncharted was out before those and was an amazing game on its own as well.

I honestly think part of it is that Drake isn't some gruff and tough lead, but that's just me.

Opiate said:

Uncharted released less than a year after Gears, not exactly a huge amount of time and that and Halo aren't even available on PS3, obviously.

But I don't think Uncharted shares much in common at all with CoD, Halo or Gears IMO. Uncharted is as much about the platforming as it is about the shooting. It's a very different experience.

Zen

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The 360 has received a total price adjustment of $100 since launch, compared to the original $399 and $299 Pro and Core models. That's $100, in 4 years.

That's one way of looking at things but it's a fairly inaccurate measurement (When considering taht the statement is in relation to highlighting strong 360 sales it's omitting relevant information in favor of selectively choosing what to highlight, IE: only the outlier of the pricing range). The 360 models have had numerous price drops and reshuffling and the introduction of the elite model skewing worth of total price adjustment.

Zen said:
That's one way of looking at things I suppose. It's a fairly inaccurate measurement to be sure. What was the high end model has dropped by $200 dollars since launch.

No it's not. Price of entry has only dropped $100. Everything included above the entry level machine was all personal choice if you need it or not. Not everyone needs the "high end" model. Right now, I've personally been on the hunt for a good deal on an Arcade unit.

Zen said:
That's one way of looking at things I suppose. It's a fairly inaccurate measurement to be sure. What was the high end model has dropped by some $200 dollars since launch. Don't forget the introduction of the elite skewing things.

Placing any emphasis on the Elite, a sku that didn't exist at launch and was never exceedingly popular, is misleading.

DaveTheSnake said:
Doesn't NPD not include certain stores and websites?

NPD uses data from a limited selection of stores to extrapolate for the entire country. The numbers you see aren't "copies sold at participating retailers," they're "copies sold nationwide, estimated using data from participating retailers."

kswiston said:
I'd say you have things completely backwards. I'd argue that the majority of people buying the DSI (and the DSL before it) are first time DS owners.

That doesn't really explain the sales pattern the system displayed in either Japan or the US, though. The Phat did poorly here until the Lite launch, so it's easy to see that a lot of people just wanted to wait for a "good" model; but the Lite did phenomenal numbers, started dipping back down, and then jumped way back up with the DSi. I guess you could argue that only that first bump actually represents re-purchasers, but even so these superfluous, price-raised models are still continuing to sell well long after release -- it's hard for me to imagine that the literal "DS2" would fail where the DSi succeeded in this sense.

This is where, I think, the iPod model really does fit well (as it so rarely does) with the videogame market. It's extremely common for an alpha-purchaser in a household to buy something like an MP3 player, then buy a superior replacement a couple years later and repurpose their previous system into the hands of another family member. I would guess that there's a lot of something like this going on with DSes.

jett said:
Man PS3 owners really and truly suck dick.

Broadly speaking, I don't hear a lot of, say, 360 owners having trouble with the fact that something that might be a "great" game like L4D2 can be successful on its own merits while still being dwarfed by sales of a lowest-common-denominator product like MW2, so I don't understand why there's this outpouring of angst when good platform exclusives (that nonetheless are selling unquestionably successful quantities) get outsold by Assassin's Creed or MW2 or whatever.

Monty Mole said:
But I don't think Uncharted shares much in common at all with CoD, Halo or Gears IMO. Uncharted is as much about the platforming as it is about the shooting. It's a very different experience.

That's also a contributor. The combination of shooting and platforming makes it an inherently less broad offering than a pure shooting game.

Chrange

Banned
Opiate said:

Honestly, it seems like blaming "genre kings" for underperforming PS3 titles is kind of a stretch. Killzone was established last gen and didn't get the sales most expected. GT: Prologue (one of your 'genre kings') did what - 220k in the first month and then didn't chart in the second? Uncharted is in its second release on the platform and got a landslide of promotion, but still didn't blow doors off.

It just seems like there isn't that game-buying fever in the PS3 userbase right now, the kind of 'gotta have it' crowd that creates those million-selling first days.

Zen

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
No it's not. Price of entry has only dropped $100. Everything included above the entry level machine was all personal choice if you need it or not. Not everyone needs the "high end" model. Right now, I've personally been on the hunt for a good deal on an Arcade unit.

It's inaccurate as a means of inference of sales performance because it discounts the numerous price drops and reorganization of high value SKUs of the 360. The price of entry has 'only' dropped by $100 dollars but without the high volume of price changes within that range you wouldn't have seen sustained sales performance in the same way.

It's only telling a selective portion of the pricing strategy.

Do you disagree and put forward that the pricing modifications within the 360 range aren't a valid part of the equation?

Opiate

Monty Mole said:
Uncharted released less than a year after Gears, not exactly a huge amount of time and that and Halo aren't even available on PS3, obviously.

What do you attribute U2s comparatively low sales to, then? The game is universally considered to be good, its in the most popular genre of the monent, got strong marketing, and has excellent graphics. It checks off virtually every feature on the "blockbuster" list. So, what's missing? Honest question.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Opiate said:
What do you attribute U2s comparatively low sales to, then? The game is universally considered to be good, its in the most popular genre of the monent, got strong marketing, and has excellent graphics. It checks off virtually every feature on the "blockbuster" list. So, what's missing? Honest question.
Not being on 360?

Chrange said:
Honestly, it seems like blaming "genre kings" for underperforming PS3 titles is kind of a stretch. Killzone was established last gen and didn't get the sales most expected. GT: Prologue (one of your 'genre kings') did what - 220k in the first month and then didn't chart in the second? Uncharted is in its second release on the platform and got a landslide of promotion, but still didn't blow doors off.

It just seems like there isn't that game-buying fever in the PS3 userbase right now, the kind of 'gotta have it' crowd that creates those million-selling first days.

gt5 prologue sold 4 millions worlwide. in US it sold 220k in one month wit a smaller marketing push than forza on a much smaller userbase and yet it outsold it. forza sold 175k and disappeared from the top20. it's definitely selling much worse than prologue.

he has a point.

LCfiner

Chrange said:

they are there, but they prefer MW, AC and GTA instead. the attach rates for those games are up there with the big 360 sellers.

charlequin said:
Broadly speaking, I don't hear a lot of, say, 360 owners having trouble with the fact that something that might be a "great" game like L4D2 can be successful on its own merits while still being dwarfed by sales of a lowest-common-denominator product like MW2, so I don't understand why there's this outpouring of angst when good platform exclusives (that nonetheless are selling unquestionably successful quantities) get outsold by Assassin's Creed or MW2 or whatever.

I agree. Uncharted is hardly the only game worthy of better sales, plus it had its moment on top last month. It's a hit game. These crybabies should save their tears for awesome games that aren't million sellers, like Demon's Souls (although that's quite a hit for its small publisher).

Chris FOM

Opiate said:

http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/nintendos-genre-innovation-strategy.html

That remains in the top 5 most insightful editorials I've yet read on the console market.

Was Uncharted 2 part of an official bundle in the US, like was in the UK?

Because if it wqas an official bundle, then those copies of the game don't count towards the software sales, they only count as +1 for the hardware.

This makes the Modern Warfare 2 number even scarier, as the 4.2 million on 360 doesn't include any copies bundled with the 250GB 360.

So maybe a lot of the 700,000+ PS3's sold were bundled with Uncharted 2 and lots of people are enjoying it right now. It just wouldn't be reflected in the NPDs.

Of course, if I'm wrong and there was no official bundle, then Uncharted 2 really didn't make it into the top 20 and that would make me a sad panda.

Firestorm

Penguin said:
I don't see Uncharted 2 being similar to those games, but I get your point.

Though, the original Uncharted was out before those and was an amazing game on its own as well.

I honestly think part of it is that Drake isn't some gruff and tough lead, but that's just me.
The part of it is that UC is on PS3 as mentioned. Also, it is a shooter as explained by Naughty Dog themselves. That's what hey set out to make and that's what they made. The platforming is very well woven into the game, but it's not meant to be a platformer.

UC2 is one of the best games this gen and kicks the shit out of Halo, Gears, and CoD, but those games have something going for them that UC doesn't: an established multiplayer fanbase.

Gears hit before Halo and Modern Warfare which let it carve itself a piece of the pie.
Halo has defined online multiplayer on consoles.
Modern Warfare made it big with its RPG elements and has owned the space since then.

UC2 has a multiplayer mode, but it's really known for it's amazing single-player. Not to mention it seems to be the 360 that attracts these massive online multiplayer communities.

Dead Man Typing said:
Was Uncharted 2 part of an official bundle in the US, like was in the UK?

Because if it wqas an official bundle, then those copies of the game don't count towards the software sales, they only count as +1 for the hardware.

This makes the Modern Warfare 2 number even scarier, as the 4.2 million on 360 doesn't include any copies bundled with the 250GB 360.

So maybe a lot of the 700,000+ PS3's sold were bundled with Uncharted 2 and lots of people are enjoying it right now. It just wouldn't be reflected in the NPDs.

Of course, if I'm wrong and there was no official bundle, then Uncharted 2 really didn't make it into the top 20 and that would make me a sad panda.
There was no UC2 bundle in NA. There was a MW2 bundle and Forza 3 bundle though. Also a Halo 3 + Halo 3 ODST bundle coming out here.

AniHawk

Vast Inspiration said:
It's sad that thats true. We've known since 2005, 360 owners are a much more coherent user base and promote games to each other.
Poor Naughty Dog.

Oh I'm sure Naughty Dog will be just fine. They get screwed less than Insomniac anyway.

Firestorm

Y2Kev said:
WTF is value game bundle
You know those shovelware packs you see? They scan up at a generic "VIDEO GAME" sku? Those. Since NPD counts things by SKU, that's what they see. Apparently enough parents buy that shit over the holidays that it can outsell the PS3 version of Dragon Age Origins and the second month of Uncharted 2.

jman2050 said:
Naughty Dog needs to hurry up and make a non-shitty Jak and Daxter sequel already.
Or Uncharted 3 ^_^

°°ToMmY°° said:
in US it sold 220k in one month wit a smaller marketing push than forza on a much smaller userbase and yet it outsold it. forza sold 175k and disappeared from the top20. it's definitely selling much worse than prologue.

he has a point.

Forza 2 charted for two months. May and June. You only counted June.

Y2Kev

AniHawk said:
Oh I'm sure Naughty Dog will be just fine. They get screwed less than Insomniac anyway.
You've said this in a few threads now and, despite providing why you feel this way, it continues to be a disputed statement. If Insomniac feels like it is being disrespected, they are free to develop elsewhere. Don't you think the proof is in the pudding on this one?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Why are the Collectors and regular versions of Dragon Age not combined?

360 DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS 342,254
360 DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS COLLECTOR'S ED 19,888
PS3 DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS COLLECTOR'S ED 11,728
PS3 DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS 177,008

LOCK

Fixed some numbers

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
4. Assassin’s Creed II (360)
5. Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
6. Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
7. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
8. Assassin’s Creed II (PS3)
9. Dragon Age: Origins (360) - ~362k
10. Mario Kart (Wii)
11. Wii Play (Wii)
12. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)
13. Value Game Bundle (Wii)
14. Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story (DS)
15. Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) - 188k
16. Value Game Bundle (Wii)
17. God of War Collection (PS3) < 180k :)
18. Halo 3: ODST (360)
19. Borderlands (360)
20. Madden NFL 10 (360)

AniHawk

Y2Kev said:
You've said this in a few threads now and, despite providing why you feel this way, it continues to be a disputed statement. If Insomniac feels like it is being disrespected, they are free to develop elsewhere. Don't you think the proof is in the pudding on this one?

This time I meant with regards to sales. Ratchet & Clank is a dying franchise, and I doubt a whole lot of people will be on board for Resistance 3 after the reception R2 had.

The sequel to Naughty Dog's game, on the other hand, improved on the original. They don't deserve any pity.

Chrange

Banned
LOCK said:
Fixed some numbers

5. Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
7. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
10. Mario Kart (Wii)
11. Wii Play (Wii)
19. Borderlands (360)
20. Madden NFL 10 (360)

Those aren't 'fixed' though, since the separate SKU apparently meant they were counted separately.

LOCK

Chrange said:
Those aren't 'fixed' though, since the separate SKU apparently meant they were counted separately.
Yes they are.

NPD's release of the top 20 includes limited editions, collectors editions, etc.

Y2Kev

AniHawk said:
This time I meant with regards to sales. Ratchet & Clank is a dying franchise, and I doubt a whole lot of people will be on board for Resistance 3 after the reception R2 had.

The sequel to Naughty Dog's game, on the other hand, improved on the original. They don't deserve any pity.
Well, there's like 900 billion ratchet games, so maybe people are tired of them.

I'm curious to know when Resistance 3 is going to launch...Resistance 2 was the January 2008 cover story in Gameinformer...dunno if R3 will be unveiled that soon...

jman2050

AniHawk said:
It's been 8 years. You expect them to start now?

I can hope. I suppose I'll be happy with Pretty Good but Not Exceptional Shooter/Platformer Something-Or-Other 3, but god damn does this gen need more top-tier 3D platformers.

Loudninja

AniHawk said:

What?they already said that the game is selling fine.

Opiate said:

Though the GAF Hive Mind might disagree, for the general public the biggest HD games of this generation (MW, Gears, and Halo) have pretty compelling online modes. How does the online play in UC2 stack up? I love the single-player campaign, but I haven't touched the multiplayer yet.

Other than that, it checks every box on the blockbuster checklist, as you say.

p.s. - I'm not saying the online modes are subpar. I really haven't played them yet, so I'm just asking.

jman2050

Opiate said:

Lack of mass-market appeal.

Uncharted 2 is what happens when only the enthusiast market is interested in your game. Not that that's a bad thing when this enthusiast market numbers a million+, but it takes quite a bit more than simply marking off stuff from a checklist to get into that upper tier. A lot of it is just plain dumb luck.

Y2Kev said:
Me. Real men use 100 posts per page. I find 50 to be much too much clicking for the same amount of content.

Autopager for Firefox
Autopagerize for Chrome

no clicking for all the same content.
All loaded on the same page.

professor_t said:
Though the GAF Hive Mind might disagree, for the general public the biggest HD games of this generation (MW, Gears, and Halo) have pretty compelling online modes. How does the online play in UC2 stack up? I love the single-player campaign, but I haven't touched the multiplayer yet.

Other than that, it checks every box on the blockbuster checklist, as you say.

p.s. - I'm not saying the online modes are subpar. I really haven't played them yet, so I'm just asking.

I don't think it's particularly important how good UC2's multiplayer really is. The perception that it's a single-player franchise is all that really matters.

jett

D-Member
LOCK said:
Fixed some numbers

Wewt, 7 million dollars worth of revenue for a port. Maybe this will entice Sony to hurry up with an ICO/SOTC collection. :p

Cheech

Opiate said:

In my opinion, Uncharted 1/2 underperformed because:

1. Sully is the only character in those games with an ounce of personality. Drake himself and everybody else is about as bland as you can possibly get.

2. They are overly reliant on platforming. Infamous is how you correctly combine platforming and action/adventure.

3. Sony's marketing has sucked for the duration of this generation. Microsoft has outspent them in marketing by a truly hilarious amount.... at least in the US. WW I am less sure.

4. UC2's multiplayer was good, but not great, and there are much better experiences out there. Also, see #3.

5. People are simply done dropping $60 on games that can be wrapped up in 10 hours. Brutal Legend is another victim of this, and a very similar game to UC2 in that respect. Sure, there's a multiplayer mode, but who is going to play it over something like MW2 or L4D2?

ZeoVGM

Banned
marc^o^ said:
DS sold 1.7 million units, and that's damn impressive <o_O>

It seems despite the Ipod Touch/Iphone, there's still a HUGE audience to tap on the handled front.

Despite what some people would have you think, the iPhone really is not competition against true handheld consoles.

operon said:
they've got the excuse for December all ready I see...

Damn them they didn't mention playstation family

BenjaminBirdie said:
Am I wrong or does that sound like advance damage control for next month?

(Note: I may be wrong.)

gofreak said:
Tretton was talking about tight supply for the holiday after Slim was announced and launched. It's hype.

To be fair, it is partly true. The PS3 is supply constrained according to employee news at Best Buy. I know my store didn't have any all week and we got in 8 today. (From another store, I believe.)

Of course, we're told that it's due to a hard drive issue and not popularity so it's still hype.

Man God said:
Maybe if they Rename it Halo 4, or go all the way and call it Halo 4:Future Warfare. :lol

So in other words, you don't have actual reasoning.

DustoMan said:
I'm curious to hear how DJ Hero did in it's first full month since it only had a few days in Oct. For some reason I find the game really appealing, but I don't want to commit to it unless there's a chance of there being a DJ Hero 2.

You need to know there's going to be a sequel before you buy a video game? What?

DaveTheSnake said:
Don't you mean Halo 2.5? :lol

You have done nothing but mouth off with stupidity in this thread. Keeping the streak alive, I see.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cheech said:
1. Sully is the only character in those games with an ounce of personality. Drake himself and everybody else is about as bland as you can possibly get.

Do you think the Doom marine or Master Chief have... uh... personality?

2. They are overly reliant on platforming. Infamous is how you correctly combine platforming and action/adventure.

So you think Uncharted 1/2 not being super top tier sellers is because people played them and didn't like them enough to buy them? Also both Uncharted games significantly outsold inFamous.

omg rite said:
You need to know there's going to be a sequel before you buy a video game? What?

Boy this is a dumb comment and I have to wonder if you thought about it before you made it.

He doesn't want to spend $120 on a game and having a big useless hunk of plastic in his living room. He is fine with spending $170 on two games ($85 each), or $220 on three ($73 each). Does this make any more sense to you?

Zen said:
It's inaccurate as a means of inference of sales performance because it discounts the numerous price drops and reorganization of high value SKUs of the 360. The price of entry has 'only' dropped by $100 dollars but without the high volume of price changes within that range you wouldn't have seen sustained sales performance in the same way.

It's only telling a selective portion of the pricing strategy.

Do you disagree and put forward that the pricing modifications within the 360 range aren't a valid part of the equation?

It's also naive to think that the 360 sales would have been exactly the same, had MS dropped to 199/299 in fall of 2006 (making it 1/2 to 1/4 the 60GB PS3, and cheaper than Wii before it even launched) versus the eventual drop in 2008.

The Elite "price drop" did virtually nothing for sales. Nor did the 60GB transition. In the eyes of consumers, it is a rebranded 360 Pro, which has been the default SKU since launch.

MS chose incremental price drops and has been rewarded with incremental YoY increases in 360 hw/sw sales. Had they dropped $100 all at once, which had been the typical pricing curve for the PS1, PS2, PS3, and Xbox, we probably would have seen a larger and more sustained uptick.

legend166

LOCK said:
Fixed some numbers

5. Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
7. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
10. Mario Kart (Wii)
11. Wii Play (Wii)
19. Borderlands (360)
20. Madden NFL 10 (360)

You have Value Game Bundle twice.

Loudninja said:
What?they already said that the game is selling fine.

When developers are asked, how many especially developers with super close ties to the console maker say that their games are selling horribly?? With these guys, they have no other thing to say besides that the games are selling fine even if they are not.

°°ToMmY°° said:
i was talking about forza 3, not 2.

My bad.

Top Bottom