• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

ReyBrujo said:
True enough, however it is the standard accepted measure. As a side note, can a game recover development costs with only 200k units sold? If it takes sales in more than one region to recoup costs, you are in trouble (since every region implies marketing, translation, publishing and distribution costs, even extra development costs if they need to fix bugs or fix compatibility issues).

Except in specific cases, Japanese developers sell more outside Japan than inside it. It is only natural, since the market outside is several times larger. So, being the second place for third parties is only useful to companies that do not publish outside.

Back to USA, even with the huge install base the PSP boasts, can you really sell software? A good exercise would be to count the number of times PSP games appeared in the NPD top 10.

Well, there's Liberty City Stories. Anything else?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Why are people so worried about Uncharted 2's sales? It sold over half a million in the first month and even if it only sells right at 100k in November and December that will still put it right at 750K and should easily reach 1 million copies US before the end of the fiscal year in March. So its not Gears or Halo, not many games are, GOW is closer to those games in terms of hype and casual appeal. UC1 sold over 1 million its only recently been dropped to the $29.99 price.

Look, you may not realize that but most of the people that put games into the NPD top 10 sales are probably not huge hardcore gaf reading video game nerds, to them Uncharted is still a fairly new franchise. It has nowhere near the name recognition that Halo does, and it was never positioned to be the big time showcase title the way Gears was for the 360. It sold at a solid pace for the better part of a year and did pretty well for a new franchise on a system that was struggling to establish a solid user base.

Now the PS3 is over the 10 million mark here, its got a more established userbase. UC2 more than tripled what UC1 did its first month. I'm sure it appreciates your concern, but it'll be just fine, especially when it hits $29.99 or $19.99 GH prices.

fernoca

SlipperySlope said:
Well, there's Liberty City Stories. Anything else?
This year had:
  • August 2009:
    7. Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP) / Square Enix / 130,000

Interesting that prior to that was:

• March 2008:
    5. God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) - 340.5K
    6. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP) - 301.6K

And in that month, in hardware:
1. Wii - 721K
2. Nintendo DS - 698K
3. PlayStation Portable - 297K
4. Xbox 360 - 262K
5. PlayStation 3 - 257K
6. PlayStation 2 - 216K

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
fernoca said:
This year had:
  • August 2009:
    7. Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP) / Square Enix / 130,000

Interesting that prior to that was:

• March 2008:
    5. God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) - 340.5K
    6. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP) - 301.6K

And in that month, in hardware:

Goddammit seriously? Crisis Core is one of the worst FF spin-offs I've played, while Dissidia is one of the best.

:(

Kusagari

Uncharted 2's sales are pretty dreadful. Only around 100k in it's first full month when it had PS3 deals and Black Friday? Looks like the game is yet another Sony first party game that didn't truly break out.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
47k for LBP: PSP isn't too shabby these days. Quite frankly I usually expect all PSP retail games to tank near the teens. Dunno how much in line that was with MM's projections.

Vinci

Danish
Stick a fork in the PSP. It's dead. Yeah, maybe not in Handheld-Land - but that can't make up for the lack of interest elsewhere around the globe for the thing.

TChirath

Neo Member
So.. what I've gathered from reading almost 3000 posts:

PS3 supporters: Any rationale that can explain why the 360 outsold PS3 this month besides "360 is a better system" is fine by me.

360 supporters: Any rationale that can explain why the PS3 sales double YoY from last November besides "PS3 is a better system" is fine by me.

chris0701

Kusagari said:
Uncharted 2's sales are pretty dreadful. Only around 100k in it's first full month when it had PS3 deals and Black Friday? Looks like the game is yet another Sony first party game that didn't truly break out.

How can I find this shocking news ?

I think it is time to think why UC 2 only has 8k average people online....It really said something.

legend166

I don't know why people are suprised at the relatively low sales of the PS3 1st party titles as compared to MS/Nintendo.

Sony are trying to establish new IPs on the 3rd place console. This is an incredibly difficult thing to do. They didn't use the huge PS2 sales as a chance to really establish IPs that they could carry into the future. Stuff like Ratchet and Jak were good, but they were never considered the cream of the PS2 crop, and there was already a bit of franchise fatigue by the end of the generation.

Kudos for them for upping their output quality and quantity wide, but it was always going to be an uphill battle once the PS3 was destined for 3rd place.

Vinci said:
Stick a fork in the PSP. It's dead. Yeah, maybe not in Handheld-Land - but that can't make up for the lack of interest elsewhere around the globe for the thing.

Makes you wonder if Japan is somehow holding PSP hostage so to speak... Sony can't put the platform away because it's still successful in Japan, unless of course PSP2 is somehow backwards-compatible, which would be expensive and didn't work out so well with PS3. Hmmmmm.

Zen

Banned
Resistance Retribution sold something like 74k when it came out in November.
LBP being the top selling PSP game at 42k Position 107? Ow, but at least, worldwide, a title could do OK, provided there's a small budget (or you're a japanese centric release).

The problem with the PSP is the interface offers nothing distinct, nor innovative. I was just a 'portable PS2' and when being as such ment lower quality than the PS2, it's hard to maintain mindshare and public interest. Sure the original Gameboy was a big success, and that's on part because it offered a great portable experience which was unique for the time in the mainstream. The GBA became the 'home of 2D gaming' when the console market basically killed said perspective for a long long time. The DS has an incredibly intuitive stylus based control systyem.

The PSP has always just been a system with nothing to make it shine or grab attention. Obviously it's multi media capabilities weren't enough to sustain interest and have been supplanted by the much more capable Iphone. If Sony wants to get their portable market back in shape, their new PSP2 should do something different rather than just being an extension of a traditional console interface, or at least copy the input device of the DS or have a touch screen. The market, and consumer tastes, have evolved past what it's capable of delivering.

And I still love my system, but that's beside the point.

Also, PSPGO should have been 149.99 if they wanted to generate any momentum. Having it still born now pretty much means dropping the price will have no real impact.

Not to mention piracy, but it doesn't explain all the problems of the PSP, it does however help to explain why hardware sales have still been ok, if ever declining. Pirates are content to buy the system, pirate, and let the platform burn to ash's.

JudgeN said:
Pretty sure you said this the past 5 NPD threads, we get it Sony first party game sales are terrible cause they can't out sale Army of Two (360), we get it.

I just use Army of Two because of the low rating it achieved but the high sales it got. I can use Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on 360 only as an example as well if you like... that sold 750k in it's first month which was March 08 as well.

Jonsoncao said:
why u guys trust some random guy saying PSP's best selling game is like 150th?
http://psp.ign.com/articles/105/1054350p1.html
LBP was the best seller on PSP during Nov
That is seriously horrible. A little competition is important, but this is just ridiculous. Sony would have to use voodoo to bring the PSP back from this situation.

On another note. If the LBP was the 107th place game out of 150th can anyone give us an estimate of RE: DC and Silent Hill's numbers. I like to think they didn't do so bad in 40th-60th place.

scitek

JosM88 said:
On another note. If the LBP was the 107th place game out of 150th can anyone give us an estimate of RE: DC and Silent Hill's numbers. I like to think they didn't do so bad in 40th-60th place.

Silent Hill didn't come out until December 8th.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JosM88 said:
That is seriously horrible. A little competition is important, but this is just ridiculous. Sony would have to use voodoo to bring the PSP back from this situation.

Well actually:
AniHawk said:
Rabbids Go Home > LittleBigPlanet PSP > Darkside Chronicles > Extraction (LTD)

Reflex beat Conduit's first month.
AniHawk said:
90k > Reflex > all others listed
Since we know that LBP PSP was 42k, that means Darkside Chronicles is sub 42k, but above 9k.

scitek said:
Silent Hill didn't come out until December 8th.
I completely forgot about that. I've been skimming through the thread and knew not to ask for that one since it's way past the end point, but I forgot since I just woke up.
Nirolak said:
Well actually:
Since we know that LBP PSP was 42k, that means Darkside Chronicles is sub 42k, but above 9k.
This really sucks. I got to play the first level of DSC, and found it to be a pretty good game. I like to think this one will have a long tail anyway. I suppose that Rabbids will do fine with some extra legs.

Holy crap at Extraction, and DSC though. I love DS:E so much, yet it can't even move past 50K total. It seems like my tastes are moving farther and farther away from the mainstream these days..

Edit:
The reflex numbers are alright as well. Activision can't complain about this when it's free money and a two year old port.

Phloxy

See with uncharted, I feel like on 360 it would have sold a lot more. Now don't flame me I'm not saying 360 is better or vice versa. I own both an love both. However, say I'm joe shmo on 360 who doesn't follow websites an press. Soon as I turn my 360, their would be ads, all over, it would only take one friend on a friend list to be playing it, for me to prolly wanna try it, then it adds. Then that builds, then you see 3 people playing it, or 5, then you play it, and then bam! It spreads. More and more people are playing it. Then the sales rack up, an more big ass ads showing uncharted soon as the Xbox signs on.

Now, on ps3, I'm not saying this doesn't happen. But, I just feel the average PS3 user never got that same amount of feedback. The friend list doesn't have that same dynamic. It's not like you can be playing something else, and your buddy hops on a party chat while playing an is like dudebro this shit is amazing! Unless I visited the store an looked, wouldn't even know about it's existence. I hope stuff like this Sony catches up on, and hopefully a better sense of community awareness and better/more accessible friend list/party chat can come to fruition.

Stink

I think the real nail in the PSP coffin was the distinctly lukewarm reception for GT. The flagship failed to re-ignite the system.

schuelma said:
Getting past what Reggie did or did not sale, I can't believe how much attention and analysis this is getting.

Its simple really, almost everyone within the western gaming industry is desperate to justify their stance against Nintendo and are hoping that Reggie is proven wrong, so they have something to rub in Nintendo's face :lol

benjipwns

Banned
Phloxy said:
See with uncharted, I feel like on 360 it would have sold a lot more. Now don't flame me I'm not saying 360 is better or vice versa. I own both an love both. However, say I'm joe shmo on 360 who doesn't follow websites an press. Soon as I turn my 360, their would be ads, all over, it would only take one friend on a friend list to be playing it, for me to prolly wanna try it, then it adds. Then that builds, then you see 3 people playing it, or 5, then you play it, and then bam! It spreads. More and more people are playing it. Then the sales rack up, an more big ass ads showing uncharted soon as the Xbox signs on.

Now, on ps3, I'm not saying this doesn't happen. But, I just feel the average PS3 user never got that same amount of feedback. The friend list doesn't have that same dynamic. It's not like you can be playing something else, and your buddy hops on a party chat while playing an is like dudebro this shit is amazing! Unless I visited the store an looked, wouldn't even know about it's existence. I hope stuff like this Sony catches up on, and hopefully a better sense of community awareness and better/more accessible friend list/party chat can come to fruition.
I like the point on ads, but not necessarily the ones on the consoles themselves. Look at TV. Compare the ads they saw. The one about the girl thinking Uncharted 2 is a movie, in a sea of Playstation 3 ads that are similar in style and tone and are focused more on the console itself than the game. Was there any other one? That's the only one that I can think of.

Now, what does Modern Warfare 2 get? At least three separate stores have specific ads for it: Wal-Mart, Best Buy and GameStop (may have had a couple actually) as well as at least two joint Activision/Microsoft ones that I saw. Left 4 Dead 2 is around the clock as well and also got the GameStop treatment for pre-ordering.

Even NSBMWii got the GameStop ad treatment to pre-order. So did AC2, Batman and ODST. Those GameStop pre-order ads were on constantly.

Also, all these came months or at least a few weeks before release so people could pre-order them. I think the Uncharted 2 ones came either after or with release.

Based on this highly scientific anecdotal evidence, Uncharted 2's problem was the lack of an annoying GameStop ad that was on every hour on channels for the target demographic for the last three months.

Lebron said:
Birth By Sleep will be the savior

You know...I have a bad feeling about this game in the West sales wise. Legs of KH games tend to be better in the US at least because people are probably buying it for the Disney factor compared to Japan where the series is more frontloaded and they probably buy it for the FF factor mainly. I don't think the PSP has a solid Disney fanbase and with the poor sales of PSP games overall and the rampant piracy I'm not seeing it do anything amazing outside of Japan, tbh.

I think people are being a bit harsh with UC2.

Although Naughty Dog may have positioned it as a shooter, in no way has Sony marketed it as a similar marquee 'event' title to Gears, Halo, or MW2.

I can only speak in terms of the UK, but it was marketed and advertised to look like more of a Tomb Raider type game, which is unfair on UC2.

So from a perception point of view I think UC2 sold pretty well for the genre Sony marketed it in.

Tom Raider Underworld didn't have particularly great sales on 360 either.

It's simply a failing in Sony's marketing IMO - which is so strange, as their marketing in PS2 days was awesome. Additionally I think Uncharted 2 suffered due to the original being released when the PS3 was really struggling - compare it to Gears of War for example:

Gears was a new IP, and it was marketed so well that the franchise captured the zeitgeist, and laid solid foundations for any sequels.

The original Uncharted was almost abandoned by Sony when it was released - I can't remember any marketing or adverts for it.

If anyone's to blame for the franchise not getting it's deserved sales it's Sony's marketing department.

See with uncharted, I feel like on 360 it would have sold a lot more.
Agreed, but I think that is because MS would have known the qulity of the title they had and marketed it much much better.

Phloxy

Yeah I agree, that ad almost seemed like an ad for the system than the game itself. I just feel like Sony was so confident in UC2 in regards to press and review scores which they had a right too, it was amazing. But, all websites in the world giving it 10's doesn't mean jack if the game isn't in peoples hands and in front of their eyes on a constant basis. Really wish they would release a single player demo for all these new ps3 owners to try out, hell, even pre-install it on new PS3's, however un-realistic that is.

Yeah I agree, that ad almost seemed like an ad for the system than the game itself.

That is another great point - I don't know if the marketing campaign is the same in the US, but over here the PS3 campaign is all about the console, and all the many things it can do - which is a great approach to sell the system; however the games are not sold very well in these ads IMO - in fact games are underplayed significantly, and especially in UC2's case it doesn't sell the game particularly well.

They needed additional commercials simply focussed on selling the game - which if successful would have sold the console as well.

Other than Tekken 6, I haven't seen a single PS3 game commercial that is for the game only.

gollumsluvslave said:
I think people are being a bit harsh with UC2.

Although Naughty Dog may have positioned it as a shooter, in no way has Sony marketed it as a similar marquee 'event' title to Gears, Halo, or MW2.

I can only speak in terms of the UK, but it was marketed and advertised to look like more of a Tomb Raider type game, which is unfair on UC2.

So from a perception point of view I think UC2 sold pretty well for the genre Sony marketed it in.

Tom Raider Underworld didn't have particularly great sales on 360 either.

It's simply a failing in Sony's marketing IMO - which is so strange, as their marketing in PS2 days was awesome. Additionally I think Uncharted 2 suffered due to the original being released when the PS3 was really struggling - compare it to Gears of War for example:

Gears was a new IP, and it was marketed so well that the franchise captured the zeitgeist, and laid solid foundations for any sequels.

The original Uncharted was almost abandoned by Sony when it was released - I can't remember any marketing or adverts for it.

If anyone's to blame for the franchise not getting it's deserved sales it's Sony's marketing department.

Agreed, but I think that is because MS would have known the qulity of the title they had and marketed it much much better.

This is the big trailer for it, looking exactly like a big budget movie with plenty of action and explosions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUPAyGWKd6c

Marketing is just a cover up to explain away the fact that the game was under appreciated by its audience, like many other PS3 titles.

This is the big trailer for it, looking exactly like a big budget movie with plenty of action and explosions:
That's the E3 trailer!
That is NOT what was used to advertise (in the UK at least)! Did they use this E3 trailer as an ad in the US?

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail...rted-2-bbc-iplayer-movie-downloads/3239089099

Above is the only Uncharted ad that I've seen in the UK - and it really doesn't sell Uncharted as a marquee game - it's diluted with stuff like Eastenders (BBC iPlayer) and so forth.

gollumsluvslave said:
That's the E3 trailer!
That is NOT what was used to advertise (in the UK at least)! Did they use this E3 trailer as an ad in the US?

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail...rted-2-bbc-iplayer-movie-downloads/3239089099

Above is the only Uncharted ad that I've seen in the UK - and it really doesn't sell Uncharted as a marquee game - it's diluted with stuff like Eastenders (BBC iPlayer) and so forth.

Because thats not an Uncharted advertisement, its a PS advertisement. There are Uncharted specific advertisements that were shown. In either case what was shown looks like a shooter, not a platformer.

My point is pointing at the marketing department for low sales is a very easy thing to because marketing as a whole is a very difficult thing to get ones head around. A "good" and "bad" advertisement are based on things people who don't study marketing really don't know anything about.

Its absurd to even hint that you could have done a better job of marketing the game, from what I saw on my TV (Australia) the advertisements for it were about as well done as you would expect, certainly better than the Eminem nonsense Modern Warfare 2 trailers.

Here's what I saw: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225268

Its absurd to even hint that you could have done a better job of marketing the game, from what I saw on my TV (Australia) the advertisements for it were about as well done, certainly better than the Eminem nonsense Modern Warfare 2 trailers.

I'm not suggesting that I could do better than Sony's marketing, I'm stating that Microsoft ARE.

Because thats not an Uncharted advertisement, its a PS advertisement. There are Uncharted specific advertisements that were shown.
Maybe in Australia, but I watch a fair amount of TV, and I have not seen a single Uncharted 2 advert in the UK outside of the one above (which I've seen a lot) - so if they are being aired, they aren't being aired regularly enough.

My point is that the issue here is that people think that UC2 undersold because it deserves the sales of a Gears or Halo.

To get the sales of a Gears (new IP), you need marketing muscle and cleverness (e.g. Mad World)

Where was anything coming close to Mad World for either of the Uncharteds?

gollumsluvslave said:
I'm not suggesting that I could do better than Sony's marketing, I'm stating that Microsoft ARE.

Microsoft definitely has one of the best marketing departments in the world, second to Apple obviously but they do their job very well. Sony's PS2 era advertising was very abstract and mostly about mindshare growth, with some pretty insane/spooky advertisements at that time. Now they can't afford to be doing outside the box shit like that, they need to convince people the PS3 is worth buying, which is why their advertising is now "it does everything!", a pretty simple message.

gollumsluvslave said:
Maybe in Australia, but I watch a fair amount of TV, and I have not seen a single Uncharted 2 advert in the UK outside of the one above (which I've seen a lot) - so if they are being aired, they aren't being aired regularly enough.

My point is that the issue here is that people think that UC2 undersold because it deserves the sales of a Gears or Halo.

To get the sales of a Gears (new IP), you need marketing muscle and cleverness (e.g. Mad World)

Where was anything coming close to Mad World for either of the Uncharteds?

My only point is you are dismissing the possibility that the PS3 base isn't that interested in the franchise, or the franchise lacks market appeal. Advertisements alone can't sell a product, it might be suffering from looking too similar to other games on the market or missing that intangible "hook" that grabs peoples attentions.

In short, there are plenty of great movies that well underperformed for reasons we don't really understand, Uncharted may be the gaming equivalent.

Rayme

In all honesty, I'd love to know what the PSP download numbers are like. When given the choice, nowadays, I buy my PSP games on the PSN store. I even held off on LBP because I was hoping for a download version (which finally came a week later). But I have no idea how typical a customer I am. So are download LBP numbers, like, 3x the retail numbers? Or... 0.1x?

I wonder how many PSPgo customers buy stuff in real-world stores (with those cards), and how many buy in the PSN store.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rayme said:
In all honesty, I'd love to know what the PSP download numbers are like. When given the choice, nowadays, I buy my PSP games on the PSN store. I even held off on LBP because I was hoping for a download version (which finally came a week later). But I have no idea how typical a customer I am. So are download LBP numbers, like, 3x the retail numbers? Or... 0.1x?

I wonder how many PSPgo customers buy stuff in real-world stores (with those cards), and how many buy in the PSN store.
Well, the only numbers I've seen released for PSP game downloads off PSN so far were 10,000 copies of Persona 3 Portable during its launch week in Japan.

This was relative to a launch of about 110,000.

I kind of get the feeling that might be the last number release we see for a while though, since Sony wouldn't give out any during their sales awards.

Top Bottom