• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert |OT| Beginning September 8th - 11:30/10:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Melodica.jpg

He's playing an amplified melodica.

He can obviously play the piano, for some inconceivable reason he doesn't want to.

Ah, OK. Well learned something new today lol. I had no idea this instrument existed.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Oh man as a Fed fan, that Djoker bit hurt. But it was pretty fun.

Love the up in your faith segment. It needs to be longer!!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
This interview with Emily Blunt is his best celebrity interview. Charming, substantial, funny, natural, weeeeeird with the puking.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So looks like Colbert's doing a new incarnation of a religion segment, which is nice. The followup to his long run with This Week in God on TDS, and then Yahweh or No Way on Colbert Report.

since this thread seems like late night talk in general does anybody know why dana carvey never got one of these major gigs? he seems like he would be the best...the BEST!

dude's always an amazing guest on these talk shows and i'm really looking forward to him coming on colbert. especially since stephen was once an actor on his short-lived series.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I believe Dana Carvey was NBC's first choice for Late Night, but he ultimately turned it down and Conan got the job.

FyreWulff

since this thread seems like late night talk in general does anybody know why dana carvey never got one of these major gigs? he seems like he would be the best...the BEST!

dude's always an amazing guest on these talk shows and i'm really looking forward to him coming on colbert. especially since stephen was once an actor on his short-lived series.

He had a variety show for a while, he even went complete old school and integrated the sponsor directly into the show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dana_Carvey_Show

Colbert was on it and it's where Ambigously Gay Duo actually came from

lednerg

The week after Austin Powers in Goldmember was released, (the Adam Sandler-produced) Master of Disguise, starring Dana Carvey came out. The critics completely eviscerated Carvey's effort, often comparing it directly against the his Wayne's World co-star's film. That basically spelled doom for Dana Carvey's post-SNL career... in my opinion.

Side-note: In 1997, Dana Carvey became the victim of medical malpractice when his heart surgeon performed a bypass surgery on the wrong artery. The money he won in the subsequent lawsuit was donated to charity.

FafaFooey

I doubt it. Conan's ratings are "eh". His best lead-in is the Big Bang Theory.

They're not eh. They're absymal. The money Conan is getting is insane compared to the minuscule amount of viewers he has with his show. I love the guy but I feel bad for him. He has made all the bad career choices he could've made. Sure, he got fucked by Jay Leno (read Bill Carter's book, it's glorious) but going to TBS was such a bad decision. His show is tired, he's not into it anymore, there's no buzz whatsoever and when he was competing with the Daily Show he didn't even manage to score half of their ratings.

I love Colbert but I feel the show is tanking with new viewers already. Changing up the traditional late night show format is good. And brave.
NBC was so hesitant in the 90s to go with Letterman because they didn't think he would be able to make his after-00:30 quirkyness work for a broader audience. He obviously proved them wrong at CBS but I feel Colbert is clinging to his political humour and Colbert Report style of delivering the news too much. He doesn't have to be the typical straight guy like Leno and Fallon while he giggles over some unfunny anecdote his celebrity guest will tell him during the interview.. but at least lose your Report shtick of constantly butting in with funny remarks. That worked at Comedy Central where the entire idea of the character consisted of "I AM THE REAL STAR HERE" which was hilarious.

Will his show improve? Sure. Will the band actually have some personality in the foreseeable future? I hope so. But whether me and you like it or not.. The Late Show scoring with a young demographic (and its already losing in that department in its first hyped up week) isn't going to be enough for CBS.

Thomper

They're not eh. They're absymal. The money Conan is getting is insane compared to the minuscule amount of viewers he has with his show. I love the guy but I feel bad for him. He has made all the bad career choices he could've made. Sure, he got fucked by Jay Leno (read Bill Carter's book, it's glorious) but going to TBS was such a bad decision. His show is tired, he's not into it anymore, there's no buzz whatsoever and when he was competing with the Daily Show he didn't even manage to score half of their ratings.

I love Colbert but I feel the show is tanking with new viewers already. Changing up the traditional late night show format is good. And brave.
NBC was so hesitant in the 90s to go with Letterman because they didn't think he would be able to make his after-00:30 quirkyness work for a broader audience. He obviously proved them wrong at CBS but I feel Colbert is clinging to his political humour and Colbert Report style of delivering the news too much. He doesn't have to be the typical straight guy like Leno and Fallon while he giggles over some unfunny anecdote his celebrity guest will tell him during the interview.. but at least lose your Report shtick of constantly butting in with funny remarks. That worked at Comedy Central where the entire idea of the character consisted of "I AM THE REAL STAR HERE" which was hilarious.

Will his show improve? Sure. Will the band actually have some personality in the foreseeable future? I hope so. But whether me and you like it or not.. The Late Show scoring with a young demographic (and its already losing in that department in its first hyped up week) isn't going to be enough for CBS.
You're being waaaay too grim about this. Colbert might be having a tough battle with Fallon, but it's not like CBS will immediately cancel him after a few weeks because of that. They've picked Colbert, gave him a contract for the next four years, they renovated the Ed Sullivan theatre for him: he's not going anywhere any time soon.

This is not like Conan at NBC, where Jay Leno was waiting in the wings to take back his show. David Letterman is not coming back, and no way will they suddenly bring in James Corden. CBS stuck with David Letterman long after it was clear that he would lose to Jay Leno, and though I'm sure they'd love for Colbert to trounce Fallon I don't think Stephen has to worry for his job any time soon.

TS-08

The week after the first Austin Powers film was released, (the Adam Sandler-produced) Master of Disguise, starring Dana Carvey came out. The critics completely eviscerated Carvey's effort, often comparing it directly against the his Wayne's World co-star's film. That basically spelled doom for Dana Carvey's post-SNL career... in my opinion.

Side-note: In 1997, Dana Carvey became the victim of medical malpractice when his heart surgeon performed a bypass surgery on the wrong artery. The money he won in the subsequent lawsuit was donated to charity.

Master of Disguise is truly terrible. I saw it with a friend in high school and it may have been the first and one of the only movies I ever walked out on.

Also, it came out in 2002, which I'm fairly sure is about 5 years or so after the first Austin Powers was released.

Quick question: how do these late night shows typically handle breaks? I watched TDS and TCR on a daily basis for so long that it felt like I could predict when a week or two-week break was coming. Is it handled similarly with this type of programming? Being on a major network seems like it would make a difference, somehow.

Thomper

Quick question: how do these late night shows typically handle breaks? I watched TDS and TCR on a daily basis for so long that it felt like I could predict when a week or two-week break was coming. Is it handled similarly with this type of programming? Being on a major network seems like it would make a difference, somehow.
They usually take the same weeks off, minus one or two weeks a year. Colbert's mentioned he'll be doing 40 weeks of shows this year. Usually taking a week off around national holidays, the weeks just before sweeps, and some extra weeks in summer.

You're being waaaay too grim about this. Colbert might be having a tough battle with Fallon, but it's not like CBS will immediately cancel him after a few weeks because of that. They've picked Colbert, gave him a contract for the next four years, they renovated the Ed Sullivan theatre for him: he's not going anywhere any time soon.

This is not like Conan at NBC, where Jay Leno was waiting in the wings to take back his show. David Letterman is not coming back, and no way will they suddenly bring in James Corden. CBS stuck with David Letterman long after it was clear that he would lose to Jay Leno, and though I'm sure they'd love for Colbert to trounce Fallon I don't think Stephen has to worry for his job any time soon.

CBS will definitely give Colbert a long run before/if they decide to replace him, especially since he's reportedly earning 1/3rd of what Fallon is, but I think that's kind of a telling that this is just a test run. But renovating the theater for him is a bad argument, changing the set background and marquee won't cost that much if they're losing money with Colbert that could be made with someone else, that theater needed to be renovated anyway. Also, Letterman vs. Leno... Letterman was beating Leno in ratings for the first couple years and even when he wasn't his numbers were still higher than what Fallons are today.

I am surprised Colbert didn't even have a week long lead but oh well. His show is trying something new and it's already working relatively well right out of the gate. Dropping the Report stuff is perhaps the stupidest thing you could ask for him in election season.

Don't have TV and haven't caught any episodes yet, but just watched his Biden interview on YouTube and I didn't expect it to hit quite as earnestly and intensely as it did. Choking up a bit here.

Love Joe's supernova smile and modesty, and love Stephen taking things seriously when its right.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm liking the show. He may be clinging to some of his Colbert Report shtick but that's goddamn fine by me. I couldn't give half a shit about Fallon (he's not funny), Meyers, or Kimmel, and I got bored of Conan years ago. Colbert is definitely the only late night show I have any interest in and I'm glad he's back. I'm sure a year from now he'll be into a good groove.

thefro

Melodica.jpg

He's playing an amplified melodica.

He can obviously play the piano, for some inconceivable reason he doesn't want to.

He's a very accomplished pianist and plays quite a bit on the show if you watch during the breaks. He has the melodica so he can do stuff like this randomly in the middle of a club show and take the music to the streets.

They're going to bust that out on the Late Show at some point and folks will understand what he's all about.

I can't believe I still watch the show live every night. And for some reason it doesn't calm me down so I usually need another hour to transition into sleep after Colbert. Mornings have been rough.

I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever have the willpower to wait until the next day before watching the show.

Socreges

Banned
I can't believe I still watch the show live every night. And for some reason it doesn't calm me down so I usually need another hour to transition into sleep after Colbert. Mornings have been rough.

I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever have the willpower to wait until the next day before watching the show.
Cancel cable. That's what forced my hand. I usually end up streaming bits throughout the next day.

Sanjuro

Live TV or bust. Worst case, just get an antenna.

That still makes me smile. It sounds so silly and fun when he says it.

YEAH

It's a good vibe.

I've been loving the Report-like segments, just like this Hunger for Power Games tonight.

:LOL

That's a good use of the screen ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom