• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGS 2011 - Monster Hunter Tri G (3DS) Gameplay footage [More videos!]

Luigiv

BDGAME said:
I'm in my work right now and I can't see videos here. I want to know, how it looks compared to the Wii?

About that frankenstick, it make the 3DS more anatomic, put more buttons and kills the portability of it. He is so like the Vita.
All these vids are offscreen so it'd be impossible to tell from them, but from direct feed screens and trailers, I'd say probably a touch better overall.

Breaking it down by category:

Lighting: Slightly better. A little less bloom with the same HDR-esque look.
Shaders and Shadows: Real shadows, including self shadowing have been added, giving this game a pretty big edge in this department. Also looks like plessy (though only plessy) is sporting specular highlights which were not present in the Wii game.
Textures: About the same. hard to tell with the lower output res.
Poly Counts: Looks like minions have suffered but everything else looks the same. Hard to tell with the lower output res.
Particle effects: I'm not really sure on this one, I'll need to do side by side comparisons to be sure. Looks a touch worse then the Wii but better then the PSP.
Animations: Same as above.

Luigiv said:
All these vids are offscreen so it'd be impossible to tell from them, but from direct feed screens and trailers, I'd say probably a touch better overall.

Shaders and Shadows: Real shadows, including self shadowing have been added, giving this game a pretty big edge in this department. Also looks like plessy (though only plessy) is sporting specular highlights which were not present in the Wii game.
Poly Counts: Looks like minions have suffered but everything else looks the same. Hard to tell with the lower output res.

Particle effects: I'm not really sure on this one, I'll need to do side by side comparisons to be sure. Looks a touch worse then the Wii but better then the PSP.

both are lower quality

Chuckpebble

Luigiv said:

Not sure if this falls under that category, but in this game, and P3rd, things like Agnaktor digging into the ground look better. There are chunks of earth that upheave at the intersection of the monster and the ground, making the maneuver look a bit more natural.

Luigiv

Chuckpebble said:
Not sure if this falls under that category, but in this game, and P3rd, things like Agnaktor digging into the ground look better. There are chunks of earth that upheave at the intersection of the monster and the ground, making the maneuver look a bit more natural.
Fair enough. Sounds like a stylistic change, more so then a technical improvement though. I know fireballs and explosions were considerably lower quality in Portable 3rd, though. Probably the biggest discrepancy between the two games.

BDGAME

Luigiv said:

Thanks. For now, we need better videos to conclude something.

Tenbatsu

The jaggies poly counts are way too low . I played both Tri and 3rd so I can tell the difference easily. Rabbit looks identical to 3rd also.

Ground texture took a hit too, it look stretch. Even the mountains.
othunc.jpg
f1hxdd.jpg

The new main monster looks ok thou, pretty high poly. Ah fuck why do I have to care about this >_<

Kyoufu

Fat Goron said:
Oh, hi there.....

I don't really care about the series, but, well.... for the sake of our beloved Samusu (rest in peace, buddy).

He's dying and begging me to post this link and ask if they're talking about an online mode.....

http://www.4gamer.net/games/140/G014005/20110916008/

They talk about "Online" but its just the WiFi mode to play with other 3DS locally, from what I can tell. Online/Offline areas were in all the PSP games too. If I'm wrong please feel free to correct, as I would love to play this online, but it just isn't there.

Tenbatsu

The article said to wait for more details.

Rumors is pointing towards Capcom planning a charging model after the 3DS eshop update this november.

Danjia is too big of an online area compared to the way PSP handled the online aspect.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Tenbatsu said:

Rumors is pointing towards Capcom planning a charging model after the 3DS eshop update this november.

Danjia is too big of an online area compared to the way PSP handled the online aspect.

I hope rumors come true, because so it would certainly have free online in a possible international release!

BDGAME

Tenbatsu said:
The jaggies poly counts are way too low . I played both Tri and 3rd so I can tell the difference easily. Rabbit looks identical to 3rd also.

Ground texture took a hit too, it look stretch. Even the mountains.
[IM]http://i52.tinypic.com/othunc.jpg[/IMG][IM]http://i56.tinypic.com/f1hxdd.jpg[/IMG]

The new main monster looks ok thou, pretty high poly. Ah fuck why do I have to care about this >_<
Do you have any pic or video that show the jaggies?

i just watched the eshop video and i thought everything looked great except some of the ground textures. obviously a slight step down from tri but definitely a step up over portable 3rd, and the 3D looks really good.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:

Would be cool if this turns out to be true but I'm not holding my breath. Whilst I guess it does make some strategic sense for Capcom to wait until Nintendo officially announces micro-transactions before announcing a pay-to-play online mode, it doesn't make strategic sense for Nintendo to continue to wait on announcing micro-transactions if it means getting in the way of MH's marketing. TGS is after all the best time for Capcom to announce such a mode.

M3d10n

Tenbatsu said:

The 3DS would need to be able to push twice as much polygons as the Wii to display unaltered geometry in 3D.

If anything, MH3G hints that the 3DS geometry throughput is on the same ballpark as the Wii, probably even 10-20% higher. But games targeting 3D displays have effective geometry halved since everything must be rendered twice. Also consider that the 3DS version has actual shadows, which means that hunters' and monsters' models are rendered an additional time per frame.

Tenbatsu

BDGAME said:
Do you have any pic or video that show the jaggies?
Jaggi model comparison

MH3G
bgvdvk.png

VS

MH3
monster-hunter-tri-hands-on-impressions-wii-3.jpg

M3d10n said:
The 3DS would need to be able to push twice as much polygons as the Wii to display unaltered geometry in 3D.

If anything, MH3G hints that the 3DS geometry throughput is on the same ballpark as the Wii, probably even 10-20% higher. But games targeting 3D displays have effective geometry halved since everything must be rendered twice. Also consider that the 3DS version has actual shadows, which means that hunters' and monsters' models are rendered an additional time per frame.
You are right, MH3G is likely a down port version of Tri with added shadows and effects.

BDGAME

Chet Rippo said:
[im]http://www.abload.de/img/tl_jaga8na.jpg[/img][im]http://www.abload.de/img/tm_jag1k3l.jpg[/img][ig]http://www.abload.de/img/tr_jagc86l.jpg[/img]
[ig]http://www.abload.de/img/bl_jagc8rt.jpg[/img][ig]http://www.abload.de/img/bm_jagpjsn.jpg[/img][ig]http://www.abload.de/img/br_jag8kno.jpg[/img]
?

Tanks man... there are a lot of jaggies in this screens and... wait...

Jaggies don't know how to swing. And jaggies don't like cities. And The jaggie in the last screen is not looking for the camera! Oh my gosh, these are altered screens!

Tenbatsu said:
Jaggi model comparison

MH3G
[MG]http://i52.tinypic.com/bgvdvk.png[/IMG]

VS

MH3
[IM]http://www.wingdamage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/monster-hunter-tri-hands-on-impressions-wii-3.jpg[/IMG]

You are right, MH3G is likely a down port version of Tri with added shadows and effects.

Its necessary a zoon in screen of Wii version to a fair comparison.

M3d10n said:

No it wouldn't. That's not how 3D works.

The polygon models are calculated once, and the only thing that has to be done twice is rendering the framebuffer.

Imagine it simply like this: One scene but two cameras taking pictures of it.

M3d10n

boris feinbrand said:
No it wouldn't. That's not how 3D works.

The polygon models are calculated once, and the only thing that has to be done twice is rendering the framebuffer.

Imagine it simply like this: One scene but two cameras taking pictures of it.
You seems very knowledgeable in graphics rendering. Care to enlighten us how the game could display the same scene from two different cameras without transforming each vertex twice?

Unless you're talking about Crytek's reprojection technique (which is surely not possible on 3DS for various reasons), if you want a polygon to show up in two different positions in two different images, you need to calculate it's screen coordinates twice and send it to the GPU twice. If there are any vertex shaders bound, they will also run twice.

Animation are one of the few things that can be calculated only once, but only if it's done on the CPU and not on the vertex shader. Shadows also only need to be rendered once. But anything that is view-dependent (and that includes the projected screen coordinates for all vertices) needs to be processed twice.

yankee666

Its looking very good, Cant wait to play this game. Is a demo announced for this version?

Also no MH 3DS special version?? I was hopping for a golden/ bronze 3DS SE alongside this game

Alrus

yankee666 said:
Its looking very good, Cant wait to play this game. Is a demo announced for this version?

Also no MH 3DS special version?? I was hopping for a golden/ bronze 3DS SE alongside this game

I don't think we'll get a 3DS MH edition for Tri G, we would already have gotten info on that by then. Maybe for MH4?

fates

English play guides surfaced on a certain board which will remain unnamed. Could Capcom actually be bringing this one over?

GDGF

Soothsayer
fates said:
English play guides surfaced on a certain board which will remain unnamed. Could Capcom actually be bringing this one over?

I have no doubt that Nintendo and Capcom plan on bringing this over.

flyinpiranha said:
I really hate getting excited about a game that might not come to the US =(

No kidding. This has quickly become my most wanted 3ds game. Nintendo/Capcom needs to make sure this comes to other territories.

wsippel

Banned
M3d10n said:
You seems very knowledgeable in graphics rendering. Care to enlighten us how the game could display the same scene from two different cameras without transforming each vertex twice?

Unless you're talking about Crytek's reprojection technique (which is surely not possible on 3DS for various reasons), if you want a polygon to show up in two different positions in two different images, you need to calculate it's screen coordinates twice and send it to the GPU twice. If there are any vertex shaders bound, they will also run twice.

Animation are one of the few things that can be calculated only once, but only if it's done on the CPU and not on the vertex shader. Shadows also only need to be rendered once. But anything that is view-dependent (and that includes the projected screen coordinates for all vertices) needs to be processed twice.
You don't think it would be possible to use the Z buffer to fake "real" stereoscopic 3D?

New monster is interesting with his boxing style.

Halfmunch said:
Nice Plessy looks even more of a pain... cool to be able to chase him into the water tho.

Maybe it was due to the other players hitting him but it was cool he didn't jump in after staying for a minute or so on land either.

M3d10n

wsippel said:
You don't think it would be possible to use the Z buffer to fake "real" stereoscopic 3D?
Using the Z-buffer means doing some sort of ray tracing using the depth buffer as a height map. It's not much different than good ol' software-rendered "voxel" terrains, but done in the GPU by a fragment shader.

I don't think this is feasible on the 3DS without programmable fragment shaders. Also, the resolution being too low would result in the artifacts (blurriness, foreground objects looking "extruded" into the far horizon, etc) being a lot more noticeable.

A technique that could work is impostors. This means rendering an object to a texture and presenting it as a 2D sprite. If the object is far away enough from the camera, that fact it's 2D wouldn't be noticed. Would help in games that show many characters on screen, like Musou games.

wsippel

Banned
M3d10n said:
Using the Z-buffer means doing some sort of ray tracing using the depth buffer as a height map. It's not much different than good ol' software-rendered "voxel" terrains, but done in the GPU by a fragment shader.

I don't think this is feasible on the 3DS without programmable fragment shaders. Also, the resolution being too low would result in the artifacts (blurriness, foreground objects looking "extruded" into the far horizon, etc) being a lot more noticeable.

A technique that could work is impostors. This means rendering an object to a texture and presenting it as a 2D sprite. If the object is far away enough from the camera, that fact it's 2D wouldn't be noticed. Would help in games that show many characters on screen, like Musou games.
Those were the two approaches I was thinking about. I have no experience with stuff that low level, or that particular chip in particular, but I guess we might see some interesting approaches (and trickery - considering good 3D graphics is all about smoke and mirrors, anyway) in the next few years.

Ridley327

IIRC, the debut trailer showed off Ceadeus, correct? This will be the first time that you'll be able to fight him in a multiplayer setting.

M3d10n said:

I think I get what you're saying. I meant it in the sense that the scenery has to be rendered once per image (30 times per second) in 3D the framerate doubles, but there is still the same amount of polygons in each scene no?

Also, holy shit, the self shadowing alone makes the monsters look a hell of a lot better.

Poyunch

Ridley327 said:
IIRC, the debut trailer showed off Ceadeus, correct? This will be the first time that you'll be able to fight him in a multiplayer setting.
You sure it's multiplayer? The scene showed the player with two partner characters but not other human players.

Ken

PounchEnvy said:
You sure it's multiplayer? The scene showed the player with two partner characters but not other human players.

Yeah I watched that scene multiple times and it was just one human player and the two Shakalakas.

Ridley327

PounchEnvy said:
That would be really weird if he's still single player exclusive. None of the PSP games had exclusive monsters in single player, right?

Top Bottom