• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films That Scared You As A Child

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
T14bN.jpg

Ivan Ooze from the Power Rangers movie.

I was 3 at the time. Fucking goddamn it still looks creepy to me.

The Blob. The later version. I only got petrified at one part, and it was the part where the Blob pulls some dude through the sink drain, and all that's left behind is his sneakers.

I was afraid to go by sinks for a week.

But I was really young, like six or something.

I remember being really disturbed when the little kid is killed in the sewer.
I think I was about the age of those two kids (9 or 10) when I saw the flick and I had a close neighborhood buddy that I'd always hang out with, so that connection was there.

Being a kid and seeing a kid die a horrible death in a film hit me much harder than the countless adults that would bite the big one in action and/or horror flicks.

sphinx

the piano man
o.k so one film that should have been o.k for me as a child but scared the shit out of me...

mmhh... I guess that rare (japanese? looked like anime) cartoon version of swan lake, I remember seeing the trailer with all the guys turning into swans, it WAS creepy.

and the one part of the Care Bears movie where all the children are turned to stone, near the end, It was quite unsettling for my young self.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Beetlejuice and Fantastia both come to mind, although I loved watching both.

Crayons

Banned
It.

x95MO.jpg

that specifically, friends and I use to play near sewers and sometimes went in them to get out balls and stuff...

This. This movie scarred me for life. Oh my god, I was afraid to enter bathrooms for years (the scene with the blood in the sink).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
legend.jpg

194175.1020.A.jpg

blob.jpg

[MG]http://www.motionpictureart.com/store/files/images/PostersLarge/AnEwokAdventureCaravanOfCourageMoviePosterUSA.jpg[/IMG]

Mostly the giant..

[MG]http://www.insomniacmania.com/sites/default/files/news/752/resize_1.jpg[/IMG]

The howling and the blob... definitely movies intended for kids.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I never expect people to read through an entire thread, I never do, but if you can't read the fucking OP to know what the topic is about you should find a doctor to medicate you.

Nightmare Before Christmas and Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Both are now some of my favorite films.

Nightmare? Something about claymation still freaks me out to this day. Its just unsettling.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit scared me exclusively because of the "REMEMBAH WHEN I KILLED YA BROTHAH?!" scene. I nearly shit a brick as a kid.

Edit: This fucking scene right here

The library scene at the beginning of Ghostbusters scared the crap out of me so bad that I didn't go into libraries for awhile. I remember in pre-school we took a trip to a local library because they had a small collection of Native American artifacts but before we went I cried and had a huge tantrum because I didn't want to go.

Jaws also scared me pretty badly and I couldn't go into an aquarium until I was 15. I seem to recall I had a similar tantrum in second grade about going on a field trip to an aquarium.

Ok I cared to read the entire OP...and I 'm gonna say this Disney Classic children's feature gave me all sorts of physiological disturbance after watching it... How does a good friend turn on you like that? life's so fucking unfair!!

Such a great example of a movie that trolls it's audience, in this case the audience being unsuspecting innocent children. First act is all about what kids love to see in cartoons, friendship and love and cutness...

600full-the-fox-and-the-hound-screenshot.jpg

4641_5.jpg

When all a sudden... shit starts to take a turn for worst with dark and graphic imagery of desperateness and of animals, mauling and growling at each other in hatred!

430655_1272458117241_full.jpg

4.jpg

Don't show this film to anyone under 10, trust me.

jurassic-park.jpg

When it came to that scene, I'd immediately duck under my covers, especially when the guy gets his head eaten by the T-rex while on the toilet. I'm cool with it now, though.

I loved this shit as a kid.. This on the other hand was the stuff of nightmares.

wi1sx.jpg

mu cephei

The Dark Crystal.

Apart from the skeksis (the way they crumbled when they died), there's the garthim (massive shelled spider things) then draining the life essence out of podlings and leaving them dried out husks.

Yeah, a real kids movie.

edit: oh, and genocide.

Jacob

CtEes.jpg

James and the Giant Peach. Oh God, this movie. I don't even remember what it was that scared me about it when I was four but thinking about it still makes me uncomfortable some times.

SpaceHorror

The shadows that drag people to hell in the movie Ghost.

They scared the ever living shit out of me as a kid.

Link

They show up around 1:20 in that clip.

Sye d'Burns

I was thinking about starting a thread about just this topic but, seeing as this one is so recent, I hope no one minds the bump.

---

There are two movies that scarred me for life.

One of them was a mini-series named Chiefs that was on back in the early 80's. I still have the VHS recording that my parents made when they watched the show, as a rerun, on TBS.

Netflix said:
This Emmy-nominated miniseries from director Jerry London follows three consecutive police chiefs (Wayne Rogers, Brad Davis and Billy Dee Williams) in a rural Southern town who work for decades to bring an elusive child molester and serial killer (Keith Carradine) to justice. As the final sheriff (Williams) closes in, he must also confront racist backlash from the town he's sworn to protect. Charlton Heston and Danny Glover also star.

Whenever I see Keith Carradine, to this day, I think of Foxy Funderburke and cringe. This guy, right here, is the stuff of nightmares.

aodqV.png

The second movie was also a made for TV film named Adam. I'm sure that every American child in my age demographic was scared witless by this film.

Adam is the heartbreakingly true story of the disappearance of 6-year-old Adam Walsh (John Boston) at a South Florida shopping mall. Adam's anguished parents John and Reve Walsh (Daniel J. Travanti and JoBeth Williams) turn to the FBI for help in finding their son, only to discover that the federal organization does not involve itself in such cases. As hope for Adam's return fades, the Walshes begin an organization to aid and comfort other families of missing children. The story does not end happily for Adam or his parents, but as a result of this tragedy, Congress passes the Federal Missing Children Act in 1983. This made-for-TV drama, originally telecast October 10, 1983, was followed by a sequel three years later. The real-life John Walsh later hosted the popular "reality-based" TV series America's Most Wanted.

I find it even more disturbing that this mini-series and this movie were both broadcast initially by CBS in Oct-Nov 1983.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom