• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. Ryse: Son of Rome

Mr Moose

I do, I backtracked what I said in that same page.
--------

hsgU48L.png

https://twitter.com/RealtimeCevat/status/384355681194614784
---------

Yep, He's the one who wrote this DF article.

What does "framebuffer native 1080p" mean?

And "SAME as E3 XboxOne! No change,No compromise!" Lying bastard lol

2real4tv

With ryse I was fully expecting 4 characters on screen in very narrow corridors. But I was very wrong! The first level itself literally has 30+ characters on screen with no lod. Each fully dressed with individual pieces of equipment. The levels themselves littered with objects and details.
When you cut someone the cut shows and it bleeds!

Ryse is easily the most next gen graphic wise of all launch games.

The games frame rate only dips when loading. I have never seen it dip in the middle of a battle.

I highly doubt that, only for main character.

nib95

Banned
Overall, I think this is one of the most graphically impressive games out there. Not just on console, but PC too. In moments it simply looks phenomenal.

This is one game where the slight blurriness of the image, guessing from 900, doesn't bother me much. Might sound stupid, but I do see where they are coming from with that filmic look. You do lose some macro details in going for that look, but it still looks great overall. It is a shame the frame rate consistently runs at sub 30fps though.

But the AA solution seems really good on all but the most distant stuff. Overall it helps to clean up the image, and as a result it still looks far better than say, F5 even though the latter is 1080p.

One thing I will say is that I haven't seen any segments with many full AI characters on screen at the same time, nor particularly open levels. I've heard there being mention of these, but I haven't seen it myself. Everything I've seen from a playable standpoint seems very focused and linear. In-fact, at times even somewhat claustrophobic due to the immensely close up camera.

Even in that opening scene with the big colosseum structure in the background, didn't seem like you could really move any where but forward, and with respect to full AI characters, there weren't as many as I'd have expected on screen at once. The large row of soldiers clashing in the far distance don't seem to move or change action (eg not full AI till a triggered sequence) until you're right up to them either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But the AA solution seems really good on all but the most distant stuff. Overall it helps to clean up the image, and as a result it still looks far better than say, F5 even though the latter is 1080p.

Well, resolution can only do so much -- Forza 5 doesn't have any AA whatsoever.

What does "framebuffer native 1080p" mean?

And "SAME as E3 XboxOne! No change,No compromise!" Lying bastard lol
He probably wanted to say that what ultimately comes out of the game is a 1080p image without upscaling from the console. Very poor choice of words though.

They said that they wanted to make them real-time, they just didnt have the time, because of launch schedule.
Just like SSM, where they were limited by memory, Crytek was limited by time, both do not alter quality of cutscenes, even though they pre-render them.
Yeah, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ryse and Killzone both show what real next gen development is going to be able to produce. Both are head and shoulders above any other game on their respective platforms.

golem

I think one thing that stands out in Ryse to me is that its production budget seems to be on another level. In other games there are often moments where you'll spy a poly starved model or low poly textures but in Ryse the visual and artistic consistency is very cohesive and impressive.

Also I dont know why people are trying to criticize the number of AIs on the screen, in quite a few battles near the end of the game such as in the forest you have a number of friendly AIs with you battling a good amount of enemy AIs. In Arena mode they often send quite a few opponents at you in the same time (and I must say the Coliseum looks amazing) as well.

pixlexic

Banned
I highly doubt that, only for main character.

You doubt, but I play it.

Not once did I see character models change no matter how far. If there is it is done really well.

The great thing with this is that people who actually have and play the game can easily post vids to show what they are talking about which is will when I get home :)

I think one thing that stands out in Ryse to me is that its production budget seems to be on another level. In other games there are often moments where you'll spy a poly starved model or low poly textures but in Ryse the visual and artistic consistency is very cohesive and impressive.

Also I dont know why people are trying to criticize the number of AIs on the screen, in quite a few battles near the end of the game such as in the forest you have a number of friendly AIs with you battling a good amount of enemy AIs. In Arena mode they often send quite a few opponents at you in the same time (and I must say the Coliseum looks amazing) as well.

The Coliseum in the single-player game was the single most impressive thing I've seen at launch for both consoles. VERY impressive. Then again... the swamp sequence with all the fire was badass too. Such a gorgeous game.

so I watched the DF video... 1600x900 28fps average? Does the game feel smooth?

Very smooth. The frame rate was below 30 a lot during executions, but that didn't affect gameplay at all.

Hmm interesting that the weaker console produced the greater looking game. Will be interesting to see how this generation unfolds.

In the end, the pre-rendered cutscenes have the same visual fidelity as realtime except the performance capture and the compression. There it is people

Unfortunately, that brings us to another disappointment; Crytek's stated commitment to "real-time, all the time" goes unrealised in Ryse with the move to pre-rendered cut-scenes. This is a common technique employed in many last-generation games that helps move the narrative forward while concealing loading, but we can't help feel disappointment in missing the opportunity to see these scenes play out in real-time. Of course, Crytek has claimed to use the same basic model rigging for all characters both in and out of cut-scenes. The more significant issue with this approach to storytelling lies with the video compression. With both next-gen consoles supporting large optical disc formats it's disappointing that higher-quality video compression wasn't selected. Ryse doesn't seem to be alone either, with a number of other next-generation titles suffering from the very same issue. We only hope that developers will reconsider their approach to pre-recorded content in the future.
Yes, loading, but also production time constraints. I felt that it should have been more realtime, but day 1 was brutal.

It's all recorded from in game though, there were only minor changes in post.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1810379&postcount=982

Looks like they didn't have enough time.

pixlexic

Banned
Hmm interesting that the weaker console produced the greater looking game. Will be interesting to see how this generation unfolds.

And that's why we have all this talk of forza and killzone. Which is dumb because if crytek did an ps4 exclusive we would see the same results.. Even better.

Portugeezer

Although it looks great, sad to see a 900p game struggling for a steady 30fps already.

Was hoping we'd get more 30fps locked as a minimum!

Respawn

Banned
Read the sentence before for a little bit of context.

No doubt some people will come in here and try and find the negatives in this article even though its overwhelmingly positive overall.

You're right but he does have a point. Man should always strive to go forward if you get my drift.
We need to stop making excuses when it's all we've were looking forward to and argued about for the last 7+ years.

You doubt, but I play it.

Not once did I see character models change no matter how far. If there is it is done really well.

The great thing with this is that people who actually have and play the game can easily post vids to show what they are talking about which is will when I get home :)
Of course the character models change. Or at least the texture detail does. Every game uses LoD. But that's probably not what you meant ;)

In the end, the pre-rendered cutscenes have the same visual fidelity as realtime except the performance capture and the compression. There it is people.
I would argue locked 30 FPS is part of the overall fidelity. Maybe the same cutscene would run with 15 FPS if playing in real time? Same visual fidelity sure, but not really the same experience. Also we still don't know if the cutscenes are rendered in 720p, 900p or 1080p.

If Ryse was on PS4, it would be pretty confident the game would be 1080p at rock-solid 30fps

but Killzone had more wow moments for me, and it was a much more consistent performance

One thing I will say is that I haven't seen any segments with many full AI characters on screen at the same time

Get to the York stage and let a bunch of barbarians up on the wall without knocking down the ladders, and you will get your wish. I think I had like 12 up there surrounding me at one point.

Cryoflar3

Xbox One has clearly a lower acceptable standard. 26fps is amazing shit, yo.

You mean rear view mirror? That's common in games. But not being able to render flat crowds in the mirror is kinda silly.
If you mean the reflection off the glass on the left, that's because it's just a basic environmental cube map.

I know but its still a bit immersion breaking to me. I was also hoping for more this gen.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Gotta say this game is impressive graphically. Certainly the looker I thought it would be. (where Froza 5 disappointed me)

This and Killzone Shadowfall are but a taste of what is to come.

They both look amazing, haven't finished either of them yet though.

One thing that really bugs me about ryse is Repetition. Repetition of death animations, character models, formation animations etc. It is really immersion breaking fighting 3-4 of the same exact bearded man.

That said, hope it gets a sequel.

I just finished the game. I graphics are amazing!!!! If they added more to the gameplay it would of been better. It can become repetitive, but the fighting and animations were really good. I enjoyed the game, now onto multiplayer.

Ryse proves Xbox One games can look very pretty.

I keep hearing the PS4's GPU is 50% more powerful. Does that mean Ryse could run at 1080p with no penalty if it were theoretically ported?

Possibly, yeah.

I dunno... From what Crytek said their biggest performance issues were due bandwidth, because the lighting (they have scenes with 250+ light sources, all physically correct) and effects needing to read constantly the gbuffer... And apparently instead of compressing/reducing the bits/pixel count of the gbuffer to bring it to a size fit for the esram, they tiled the scene...

Considering they were using the esram extensively, bandwidth for a bigger buffer would be an issue on Ps4 too.

NeoGash

Ryse looks really impressive. I don't know why people are expecting it to look so much better than a machine with 50% more power. It's like saying Nintendo developers are shit because their games won't be as technically impressive as PS4/XB1 games.

Just my opinion, but Ryse looks the most graphically impressive to me, KZ 2nd place. It could change after playing both, but I'm only interested in KZ as I'm a fan of KZ2 and KZ3, but Ryse just looks better to me. Maybe it's the 3rd person part, as 3rd person games always look better IMO (Uncharted, God of war, Gears etc).

2real4tv

http://sdrv.ms/1952UWj

video i made tonight of the very first area.

Highest LOD on every NPC your own vid completely destroys that assumption, rightmost character after 28 sec mark.

You can even see in the fr analysis vid when there are multiple high LOD characters on screen the frame rate dips when they line up in formation. Just to be clear I am saying Ryse does not look good, because it is an impressive looking game but using highest LOD on every character just doesn't make sense.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gotta say this game is impressive graphically. Certainly the looker I thought it would be. (where Froza 5 disappointed me)

One thing that really bugs me about ryse is Repetition. Repetition of death animations, character models, formation animations etc. It is really immersion breaking fighting 3-4 of the same exact bearded man.

That said, hope it gets a sequel.
I'm with you.

Looking back, I actually had a good time with the game but, man, it just ends up feeling so repetitive at points. There needed to be a second attack button with more complex combos (maybe put parry on a trigger), more enemy types, and more unique gameplay sequences.

Sid

So dark10x is the author of this article? if so why does he say Ryse is second place after Killzone visually but in the article says the opposite?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So dark10x is the author of this article? if so why does he say Ryse is second place after Killzone visually but in the article says the opposite?

Ryse is a beautiful game and stands as one of the most technically impressive next-generation titles we've seen to date.
Honestly, I could put either game at the top of the list.

I prefer the aesthetic of Killzone in many ways but the unlocked framerate is a bad decision.

Sid

Honestly, I could put either game at the top of the list.

I prefer the aesthetic of Killzone in many ways but the unlocked framerate is a bad decision.
OK but I was referring to this

That said, if you really want a taste of what we can expect from the next generation of consoles, Ryse towers over the rest.

ethomaz

Banned
It is a shame that except for the visual both games are meh.

The only launch that give us great visual + great gameplay was RESOGUN. While games like Forza 5 and Dead Rising holds a great gameplay with visual deceptions.

I think the AAA launch games were a disappointment and the low budget RESOGUN turned to be a good surprise.

Top Bottom