• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry — RTX 4070 Super vs PS5: How Much Faster/Better Are Today's Mid-Range GPUs?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
A $599 RTX 4070 super is superior than a
2020 APU??

ItS60NI.gif

Unfortunately, the graphics card doesn't work without RAM, CPU, motherboard, power supply, etc.

Pretty pointless video. Oh yes, that's right, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to bash against the PS5. Why PS5 and no comparison to the xbox series x!?
No one cares about comparisons with the Xbox. Isn’t that more than evident by now?

shamoomoo

If someone has rest of components already but with some old GPU that can't handle new games buying new GPU is no different than buying PS5.
except,the PS5 being fixed hardware means devs will work around its limitations, until like most older GPUs because of the open nature of PC gaming.

VAVA Mk2

2020 APU??

ItS60NI.gif

Unfortunately, the graphics card doesn't work without RAM, CPU, motherboard, power supply, etc.

Pretty pointless video. Oh yes, that's right, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to bash against the PS5. Why PS5 and no comparison to the xbox series x!?
Because Xbox is basically dead anyways

Leonidas

No?? But people act like you just need a graphics card to run games from and the comparisons are completely stupid.
Everyone knows you can't just buy a GPU... unless you're like me and always have a PC that can easily accept these upgrades. I always upgrade every gen, so for me, yes, I do just need the GPU.

Do you compare a new graphics card with a shitty 2020 APU??
The PS5/XSX GPU was pretty good when it launched, aside from the lackluster RT performance. I wouldn't call them a shitty APU. The GPU in the console APUs are very powerful for an APU.

And yes, you do compare to see how consoles fair against PC. I like to know how much faster my PC is than my consoles.

The comparisons would make sense If It's in the same price range. No shit that a graphics card that costs three times much as the PS5 shits all over the console.
The RTX 4070 was ~1.8x faster than the PS5, that dropped to $550. By proxy you can figure that the RX 7800 XT is around 1.9x faster than PS5 at $500.

The 7700 XT, a $450 GPU, would be somewhere around 1.6x faster than PS5...

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
2020 APU??

ItS60NI.gif

He literally says it in the video. The PS5 is by far the most popular machine and the baseline for most games. It gets the most attention from developers.

He literally says it in the video. The PS5 is by far the most popular machine and the baseline for most games. It gets the most attention from developers.
I think the actual point of the video (which like you say it to compare against the baseline at which games are made performance wise) is cool, but the problem is some (maybe most) people will just see it like the old Xbox One vs PS4 videos and use it as a way to say haha PS5 is shit/PCMR/blah blah blah.

kiphalfton

I mean, it does? Though it's still way too expensive because the PS5 is a middle-aged man now.

The RTX 3070 came out around the same time PS5 came out, and IT should have obliterated the PS5.

But since then we got the RTX 4070, and subsequently the RTX 4070 Super.

So for the 4070 Super (i.e. a refresh to the successor of the RTX 3070), to only have 2x the performance is a joke.

The RTX 4070 Super should be several tiers above the PS5 at this point.

Last edited:

Gaiff

The RTX 3070 came out around the same time PS5 came out, and IT should have obliterated the PS5.
It's anywhere from 30-50% faster in rasterization and the difference can be quite massive in 4K, assuming you're not VRAM-limited.
But since then we got the RTX 4070, and subsequently the RTX 4070 Super.

So for the 4070 Super (i.e. a refresh to the successor of the RTX 3070), to only have 2x the performance is a joke.

The RTX 4070 Super should be several tiers above the PS5 at this point.
2x is several tiers above. That's a 6700 vs a 4070S. Certainly a huge gap. The 4070S being twice as fast in rasterization is fine. The issue is the price tag of $550 which is too high. The real problem is the 4060 which is around the same ballpark as the PS5's GPU in performance when it should be much, much faster (like 50%).

Last edited:

Leonidas

I hate the current state of PC gaming.
I love it. Last gen I had a 3070, which was already 30% more powerful than PS5.

This gen I have a 4070, which is around 80% faster than PS5 in GPU limited raster scenerios (much faster and better looking when you turn on RT and DLSS compared to console upscaling techniques). And can be 5x faster (or more) than PS5 in some cases.

Next year I will probably get a 5070, which should be another massive jump. And the PS5 might still be $500...

I don't really see how you can hate the current state of PC gaming, unless you're only looking at sub $500 GPUs, but even those are better today relative to the PS5 than compared to the PS5 launch. At PS5 launch you needed a 2070 Super to get a PS5-tier GPU, today you only need a $299 4060.

Last edited:
another pointless video since we don't have a single game specifically optimized for the 4070
Yup, even my Oculus app and Half Life Alyx say my card isnt good enough. :D Hell HL: Alyx goes as far as saying I dont have enough GPU memory.

It's funny because everything runs fine. 4070 Super.

That being said, games are NEVER optimised for a certain model card. Only the generation/ iteration.
40X0 isnt optimised. That goes for the 4060, 4070, 4080, 4090, etc.

Last edited:
Everyone knows you can't just buy a GPU... unless you're like me and always have a PC that can easily accept these upgrades. I always upgrade every gen, so for me, yes, I do just need the GPU.

The PS5/XSX GPU was pretty good when it launched, aside from the lackluster RT performance. I wouldn't call them a shitty APU. The GPU in the console APUs are very powerful for an APU.

And yes, you do compare to see how consoles fair against PC. I like to know how much faster my PC is than my consoles.

The RTX 4070 was ~1.8x faster than the PS5, that dropped to $550. By proxy you can figure that the RX 7800 XT is around 1.9x faster than PS5 at $500.

The 7700 XT, a $450 GPU, would be somewhere around 1.6x faster than PS5...
The console GPUs are excellent (rt hardware aside) in a way they feel slightly overspecced for the real problem of the consoles being it’s terrible cpus and somewhat lackluster memory

Senua

I love it. Last gen I had a 3070, which was already 30% more powerful than PS5.

This gen I have a 4070, which is around 80% faster than PS5 in GPU limited raster scenerios (much faster and better looking when you turn on RT and DLSS compared to console upscaling techniques). And can be 5x faster (or more) than PS5 in some cases.

Next year I will probably get a 5070, which should be another massive jump. And the PS5 might still be $500...

I don't really see how you can hate the current state of PC gaming, unless you're only looking at sub $500 GPUs, but even those are better today relative to the PS5 than compared to the PS5 launch. At PS5 launch you needed a 2070 Super to get a PS5-tier GPU, today you only need a $299 4060.
Upgrading every gen is nuts bro

Leonidas

The console GPUs are excellent (rt hardware aside) in a way they feel slightly overspecced for the real problem of the consoles being it’s terrible cpus and somewhat lackluster memory
They were pretty good at launch, today they are competing with the low end RTX 4060 desktop GPU.

Zen2 APU is a huge upgrade over Jaguar last gen, but yes it is a pretty weak CPU today.

Upgrading every gen is nuts bro
Not really an issue for me. I went from 2070 to 2070 Super to 3070 at no additional cost (sold the previous cards for the price I got the next one for).

I had to pay a bit more for the 4070 though (3070 dropped in value and 4070 was a price increase), but its still worth it for me to have the highest perfoming GPU within a given power budget so I'll continue to do the upgrade every generation.

I also never sold the ETH I mined on the 3070, if I sold that ETH today it would cover my next 4 GPU upgrades, but that value could drop to zero by the time I get around to doing something with it...

They were pretty good at launch, today they are competing with the low end RTX 4060 desktop GPU.

Zen2 APU is a huge upgrade over Jaguar last gen, but yes it is a pretty weak CPU today.

Not really an issue for me. I went from 2070 to 2070 Super to 3070 at no additional cost (sold the previous cards for the price I got the next one for).

I had to pay a bit more for the 4070 though (3070 dropped in value and 4070 was a price increase), but its still worth it for me to have the highest perfoming GPU within a given power budget so I'll continue to do the upgrade every generation.

I also never sold the ETH I mined on the 3070, if I sold that ETH today it would cover my next 4 GPU upgrades, but that value could drop to zero by the time I get around to doing something with it...
The ps5 still outperforms the 4060 in quite a few games so I wouldn’t really consider them equals the 4060 does beat in etc thoug

Kataploom

Gold Member
When people will understand this is not a competition?
They're projecting insecurities lol. Someone said "why not compare PS5 with 4060 or similar GPU?", yet they cried out loud when DF compared PS5 to 6700 just a couple weeks ago. DF can't win.

Edit: WTF this was an old thread LMAO, forget the last part, I can understand now

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Yes,a new generation of GPUs competing with 4 year old technology.

shamoomoo

They're projecting insecurities lol. Someone said "why not compare PS5 with 4060 or similar GPU?", yet they cried out loud when DF compared PS5 to 6700 just a couple weeks ago. DF can't win.
No. The issue is with the CPU used. Outside of infinity cache and Sony specific customization, there's no difference between the PS5 GPU and the RX 6700.

amigastar

I know I've said that about 4090 but the 5090 will be the ultimate 4k graphics card, lol.
Maybe with an RTX 6070 4k will be also very good on those.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
No. The issue is with the CPU used. Outside of infinity cache and Sony specific customization, there's no difference between the PS5 GPU and the RX 6700.
They are not trying to compare 1:1 hardware specs, they're trying to show real world performance, no matter if PS5 have extra 512 of pure cache or that the PC graphics card has two GPUs chained by SLI or Crossfire or whatever, in the end the amount of FPS, latency and the extra features you get in the final result is what they're showing. Nobody cares about being "fair", if we did, then we should change PS5 nvme to a Gen 3 one as most PCs and nobody is complaining about that

Kataploom

Gold Member
The ps5 still outperforms the 4060 in quite a few games so I wouldn’t really consider them equals the 4060 does beat in etc thoug
Which games?

At 1440p?

At 4K it probably can, PC cards are unbeatable within resolutions they were created for and consoles GPUs are designed to try and reach as close to 4K as possible even sacrificing performance, so most of the time PCs equivalent GPUs will bottleneck at higher resolutions due to VRAM or bandwidth mostly, so they'll loose some performance.

Then within target resolution they'll do way better, which is expected considering PC players rarely want to go bellow 60 fps, that's why consoles are compared using performance mode since that's the level of performance PC people expect.

yamaci17

4060 being new generation has nothing to do with its rasterization performance. if you have to go that route, just go and look how 4060 compares to 2070 super. they are almost in the same performance tier if you don't delve into path tracing or dlss 3 or heavy ray traced effects (where 4060 will have some advantage). in raster they're pretty much near each other despite the 4 year old difference between them. (there are outliers like dying light 2 where 4060 has the %25 perf upperhand. but in most other cases it is either a tie or %10 perf. advantage in favor of 4060)

trying to focus on the age difference between 4060 and ps5 and calling out DF based on that is funny as heck. they could've used the 2070 super but it wouldn't make sense either because that is not even sold anymore. so why should they even bother, and what would be the point?

4060 is a bad deal compared to ps5 and old GPUs. it being weak on raster or coming near PS5 has nothing to do with ps5 being a magical console. if then, you are free to call 2070 super a magical GPU for being competitive with 4060 in 2023 games. but you won't do that, won't you? it wouldn't fit your narrative.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Tech in ada cards is from 2022.

Cpu doesn't make any difference in GPU limited places (where DF tested), this was discussed millions of times...
And? Ada GPU weren't released then, Also some of the features in volta GPUs existed before Turning.

If I'm not mistaken, some GCN features exist in the PS5 along with RDNA1.

Bojji

And? Ada GPU weren't released then, Also some of the features in volta GPUs existed before Turning.

If I'm not mistaken, some GCN features exist in the PS5 along with RDNA1.

PS5 is basically rdna1 just with ray tracing from rdna2.

"Series" of the GPU is not as important as just pure power, 3060 is on a level of 2060 super, 4060ti is worse than 3070 and barely better than 3060ti while 3060ti was much better than 2070 (on level of 2080 super). Power jumps are inconsistent.

Hudo

I hate the current state of PC gaming.

The RTX 4070 Super by itself is more expensive than the PS5, and should blow the PS5 out of the water.
All cards of the RTX 4000 series are horribly overpriced. 4080 should be $600. And all the 8GB VRAM cards shouldn't even exist or at the very least be sold at $100.

Last edited:

Senua

All cards of the RTX 4000 series are horribly overpriced. 4080 should be $600. And all the 8GB VRAM cards shouldn't even exist or at the very least be sold at $100.
I mean the 3080 at $700 was considered a great price, I think the $1000 for the 80 class is here to stay sadly.

GustavoLT

I've got to imagine how much performance a pc version of a game would gain if that game was builted for a specific rig!

Which games?

At 1440p?

At 4K it probably can, PC cards are unbeatable within resolutions they were created for and consoles GPUs are designed to try and reach as close to 4K as possible even sacrificing performance, so most of the time PCs equivalent GPUs will bottleneck at higher resolutions due to VRAM or bandwidth mostly, so they'll loose some performance.

Then within target resolution they'll do way better, which is expected considering PC players rarely want to go bellow 60 fps, that's why consoles are compared using performance mode since that's the level of performance PC people expect.
The last of us, rift apart, cod, assassins creed

Cyberpunkd

Always cringe how the console defense force predictably arrives in these kinds of threads with the "but you need to buy a CPU, RAM bla bla bla in addition to the GPU" reasoning like this isn't obvious to everyone completely ignoring that a computer is a general purpose device you can do pretty much anything on whereas a console can only ever more or less play games and nothing else.
If you want do to anything except playing games and video editing your PC costs as much as a toaster. Stop with the “it can open Word documents” argument.

DeaDPo0L84

It pisses me off how "mid-range" GPUs are now at the 600$ range. How is the PC gaming market still a thing, i don't know.
Go look at all the threads discussing various console releases where people are complaining about graphics/performance issues and you'll answer your own question as to why the PC market is still a thing.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The last of us, rift apart, cod, assassins creed
WTF with the first two? Did you not know the state of Sony ports on PC, specially the worst port of the last 10 years, TLOU?

For the other two I don't think so as well since those games can also favor AMD cards, maybe you saw a comparison with Nvidia cards? I need a receipt.

Gaiff

The 4080 sure as hell ain't worth $750+.

And bought my 3080 back then for 600€.
It’s 50% faster than the $700 3080 which was considered a good deal at the time. It also has an additional 6GB of VRAM. $600 is lower than the launch price of the GTX 780 over a decade ago.

Let’s not go crazy here.

Hudo

It’s 50% faster than the $700 3080 which was considered a good deal at the time. It also has an additional 6GB of VRAM. $600 is lower than the launch price of the GTX 780 over a decade ago.

Let’s not go crazy here.
Current prices are fucking crazy. I am sorry, but that's just how it is. This is not normal but Nvidia are trying to normalize that shit. And people will lap it up. Can't wait for the day when the 10070 will be considered a "good deal" at $1200, while the 10090 will be $5000.

This is not how technology should go.

Gaiff

Current prices are fucking crazy. I am sorry, but that's just how it is. This is not normal but Nvidia are trying to normalize that shit. And people will lap it up. Can't wait for the day when the 10070 will be considered a "good deal" at $1200, while the 10090 will be $5000.

This is not how technology should go.
They are but come on. the 780 sold for $650 11 years ago. You can't seriously tell us the RTX 4080 should be cheaper. Relatively speaking, the GTX 780 was almost 2/3 more expensive than the PS4 which would make the RTX 4080 $812 today. $1000 is too high and the insane $1200 launch price needs not to be mentioned but $600? You could effectively build a rig 2.5x the performance of the PS5 for 2x the price. This would make high-end PC gaming a better value than console gaming which has never happened.

Last edited:
Top Bottom