• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry — RTX 4070 Super vs PS5: How Much Faster/Better Are Today's Mid-Range GPUs?

While it's obviously useful to base our reviews on the numbers (Mason), I also think we should look at what this class of GPU is doing more holistically. The bottom line is that developers are targeting PlayStation 5 as the foundational basis of the new games they are creating and when you stack up what the 70-class GPUs from Nvidia are delivering, it's highly compelling.
To put some numbers to this, we decided to benchmark the RTX 4070 Super against the PS5 - something's that not altogether easy to do in a world of frame-rate caps and dynamic resolution scaling. In Cyberpunk 2077's Phantom Liberty expansion, we found a spot in the Dogtown market where PS5 couldn't sustain 30fps in its RT mode. In matched settings, 4070 Super offered a 2.21x performance multiplier, rising to 2.3x when FSR2 quality mode was swapped out for its DLSS equivalent. That rose to 3.2x in frame-rate terms when DLSS 3 frame generation kicked in.
Alan Wake 2's quality mode? A 2.17x performance increase in matched settings on the RTX 4070 Super, rising to 2.31x when FSR2 balanced upscaling is again swapped out with the DLSS equivalent. And yes, it's another DLSS 3 game, meaning a 3.1x frame-rate increase over the PS5. In effect, the 4070 Super offers over twice the performance of the PS5 in these games, while DLSS increases both quality and performance.
Results will vary according to the game and the quality of the port, mind you. A Plague Tale: Requiem delivered a 1.96x like-for-like increase, very similar with DLSS quality mode. Frame-gen is available there too, and our test scene offered up a 2.5x increase in frame-rate over the console - so still a big improvement to performance even if you don't consider frame-gen a performance increase.
Naughty Dog/Iron Galaxy's lacklustre port of The Last of Us Part 1 is underwhelming, however, with a mere 36 percent increase (!) in performance over the PS5 operating in fidelity mode. DLSS is the crutch required to offer a game-changing boost to frame-rate - 4K quality mode delivering a 96 percent boost to console performance. Sometimes, not all of the console-level optimisations to make the most of the GPU make their way over to PC - async compute utilisation (or lack of it) apparently causing the problems on this problematic port.
I've discussed console comparisons and yes, optimised settings based on PS5 go a long way from turning what's dubbed a 1440p card into a proper 4K contender. After all, what we're effectively seeing in these comparisons is that 30/40fps quality modes on PlayStation 5 translate into excellent 60fps experiences... or higher. However, we're still talking about circa RTX 3090 level capabilities here, meaning that the RTX 4070 Super will happily run Cyberpunk 2077 in RT Overdrive mode or Alan Wake 2 with path-tracing. This card is still very well-placed in offering up enough raw horsepower to give you access to the absolute cutting-edge - though at that point, optimised settings become even more important.
Bench4.jpg

Bench3_Cdaq5uP.jpg

Bench2_f1KW9xL.jpg

Bench1_pHADrIk.jpg

DaGwaphics

Interesting video. They should do one with the lower-end GPUs (7600 and 4060 like we were talking about in the other thread) and maybe even the higher-end ones as well. Just to see what the comparison is like since they have all the settings and all that figured out already.

A $599 RTX 4070 super is superior than a
2020 APU??

ItS60NI.gif

Unfortunately, the graphics card doesn't work without RAM, CPU, motherboard, power supply, etc.

Pretty pointless video. Oh yes, that's right, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to bash against the PS5. Why PS5 and no comparison to the xbox series x!?

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Curious how Plague Tale runs better without dlss than with it.

Dont have time to watch the full video right now. What CPU is he using here?

A $599 RTX 4070 super is superior than a
2020 APU??

ItS60NI.gif

Unfortunately, the graphics card doesn't work without ran, CPU, motherboard, power supply, etc.

Pretty pointless video. Oh yes, that's right, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to bash against the PS5. Why PS5 and no comparison to the xbox series x!?

THIS, image the value proposition when a PS5 Pro comes out.... LOL

then DF will start comparing it to the RTX 5090 that is sold for €2000 :D

Why was this video even made? I'm just looking at the screens Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives provided (nice job, btw) and I can't figure out why they even bothered doing this.
It was uploaded on DF Clips 4 hours ago, however, I think that the clip in question is just a section of the larger video review of the RTX 4070 Super from their main channel. Basically for content/clicks for the other channel.

I'm dumb, I misread 'why' as 'when' lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Because it is interesting information to see how performant current GPUs are compared to baseline portrayed by PS5.
Seriously, this is not rocket science.

Then at least compare it to the lowest tier of next-gen cards = 7600 (XT) or 4060 (Ti)

Not a €700 card

But they won't do that because if the did, 2024 PC would look like MUCH worse value than the 2020 PS5

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The main thing the video convinced me of, is that consoles with non-nvidia GPUs need an equivalent answer to DLSS.
The equivilant is FSR. The only other option is equivilant dedicated upscaling hardware but how you fit this into the pipeline without fucking everything up us anyone's guess.

TheAssist

Calling something a "midrange" GPU when it costs twice as much as a PS5 still feels wrong to me. And that price doesnt even get you a
CPU
RAM
Power Supply
Case
Mainboard
SSD

So if anything, compare it to a RTX 4060 (non Ti). See how well that goes.

Edit: Obvously I am not alone in thinking this xD.
Dont get me wrong, I am looking to buy a new GPU this year and the 4070 Ti Super is on my shortlist (might want to wait for the 5000 series though, I am not in a rush atm), but still, prices are insane. Though they are quite powerful.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Always cringe how the console defense force predictably arrives in these kinds of threads with the "but you need to buy a CPU, RAM bla bla bla in addition to the GPU" reasoning like this isn't obvious to everyone completely ignoring that a computer is a general purpose device you can do pretty much anything on whereas a console can only ever more or less play games and nothing else.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Because it is interesting information to see how performant current GPUs are compared to baseline portrayed by PS5.
Seriously, this is not rocket science.

The results are certainly not rocket science, I agree. Blatantly obvious. But if you found it interesting, rock on.

Lol how to become GAF's number 1 enemy in just one step

In b4 DF becomes a banned source here rofl

Why would GAF ban DF for this video?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Calling something a "midrange" GPU when it costs twice as much as a PS5 still feels wrong to me. And that price doesnt even get you a
CPU
RAM
Power Supply
Case
Mainboard
SSD

So if anything, compare it to a RTX 4060 (non Ti). See how well that goes.

Edit: Obvously I am not alone in thinking this xD.
Dont get me wrong, I am looking to buy a new GPU this year and the 4070 Ti Super is on my shortlist (might want to wait for the 5000 series though, I am not in a rush atm), but still, prices are insane. Though they are quite powerful.

I would definitely be more interested in an up to date video showing what the equivalent PC hardware of either the PS5 or XSX (or yes, even in XSS). We've had a couple of those since this gen started, but we've also had newer PC hardware introduced as well. But pitting a PS5 against as GPU that clearly outclasses it? lol....I don't get it. About as interesting as seeing a Corvette race a Prius.

Last edited:
I would definitely be more interested in an up to date video showing what the equivalent PC hardware of either the PS5 or XSX (or yes, even in XSS). We've had a couple of those since this gen started, but we've also had newer PC hardware introduced as well.
This would be a more productive video. What does it take to MATCH the console.
Eventually the PS5 PRO is going to be released and I would like to know if my 4070 can keep up.

Taking a 4070 super and dialing back the settings to match a console is just kind of, I don't know, dumb?
I'm not going to play that way. I'm not dialing back my 4070.
Dialing back the settings is something you do if your hardware is getting on in years.

Crayon

It's insane that a mid-range GPU now is 600 USD..

Was going to say this. Depressing that $550 is called "mid range". I still think of my pc as mid range. That's around ps5 performance and probably around $550 without a controller and with a used gpu. A new $550 card would balloon that to $900 and have a whopping 12gb vram. :/ I'm actually looking for an excuse to upgrade but there really is none till.... idk. Maybe squadron 42? Someone help me out here lol.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Always found those videos kinda pointless. My RTX 3080 PC ON PAPER outperforming PS5, yet I’ve played Jedi Survivor and Hogwarts Legacy on PS5 because they are simply not broken and riddled with stutters there. No amount of VRAM will fix broken ports and lesser user experience.

Also a lot of great takes here too that I don’t want to repeat.

Crayon

Always cringe how the console defense force predictably arrives in these kinds of threads with the "but you need to buy a CPU, RAM bla bla bla in addition to the GPU" reasoning like this isn't obvious to everyone completely ignoring that a computer is a general purpose device you can do pretty much anything on whereas a console can only ever more or less play games and nothing else.

Uh nah, dawg. I can do "pretty much everything" on a nuc. I don't have a mid tower with a 500watt power supply under my tv to do my homework.

Xyphie

Uh nah, dawg. I can do "pretty much everything" on a nuc. I don't have a mid tower with a 500watt power supply under my tv to do my homework.

The point which flew over your head is that owning a computer is more or less required to be a functional human in modern society, which is why there's ~90% household penetration. This is why these "but can you build a $500 computer to match the PS5" posts have always been idiotic. Roughly subtract the $850 ASP of a computer from your gaming rig and you're closer to the "true cost" of PC gaming.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Mid range 2024 GPU is superior to an APU with benchmarks similar to 2018 mid range GPUs. I'm shocked.

Consoles will always be technically inferior, they're just the best bang for your buck.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
oh yeah 4070 super. mid range gpu :messenger_dizzy:
600$
And I don't see the need to enable DLSS. Of course a game runs faster if you lower the resolution

Darsxx82

I would definitely be more interested in an up to date video showing what the equivalent PC hardware of either the PS5 or XSX (or yes, even in XSS). We've had a couple of those since this gen started, but we've also had newer PC hardware introduced as well. But pitting a PS5 against as GPU that clearly outclasses it? lol....I don't get it. About as interesting as seeing a Corvette race a Prius.

Basically, there is nothing that can compare to XSX/PS5 in value performance vs price on PC. Nothing. Especially since the PC you buy for ~450 euros will only be useful for emulators in a year.

XSS?? In terms of performance vs price (~$200) it is even a "miracle" because there is nothing even remotely close to the value it offers. And yet here it is "the potato", object of joke when compare to XSX/PS5 performance and nobody questioned a possible dishonesty in the comparison.

That's when I wonder why some have no problem questioning people who buy an XSX or XSS to play Xbox games instead of a PC "where you'll play better" and suddenly talk about DF dishonesty (and even some asking for it to be banned🙃), about the pricing problem on PC, "a minimum of $1000 just for CPU+GPU",..... I don't know what to think and I'm left in shock 😐

That said, I agree that the comparison with PS5 could have been saved. Mainly because PC hardware and console hardware follow different rhythms and that also affects prices. I believe that they have simply chosen the most well-known and closest reference to many users and I do not believe (nor do I see) any insinuation in that article about the price vs performance value of PS5 that justifies such angry reactions.

Zathalus

People asking why this video was made or why wasn't the 4060 used to compare are missing the point. It's a clip from the review of the 4070 Super card and is used as a interesting data point and nothing more. Its not a standalone video by itself.

As for those saying 'it's not including the price of the CPU, memory, etc...', no fucking shit Sherlock, do you think people reading or watching a GPU review don't know that? What's next? Complaining that a console requires a TV and electricity to function?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People asking why this video was made or why wasn't the 4060 used to compare are missing the point. It's a clip from the review of the 4070 Super card and is used as a interesting data point and nothing more. Its not a standalone video by itself.

As for those saying 'it's not including the price of the CPU, memory, etc...', no fucking shit Sherlock, do you think people reading or watching a GPU review don't know that? What's next? Complaining that a console requires a TV and electricity to function?
Maybe I would've known that if I clicked on the video

Mid range 2024 GPU is superior to an APU with benchmarks similar to 2018 mid range GPUs. I'm shocked.

Consoles will always be technically inferior, they're just the best bang for your buck.
The comparison is pointless either way because the graphics card doesn't work without the other components. I'm not comparing a component for which I don't need other components with a complete system. Aside from that, what's surprising about a new graphics card trumping an old 2020 APU??

Yes, but then you couldn't bash and generate clicks against the PS5.

Why didn't they compare the 4070 super with the xbox?

Topher

Gold Member
Basically, there is nothing that can compare to XSX/PS5 in value performance vs price on PC. Nothing. Especially since the PC you buy for ~450 euros will only be useful for emulators in a year.

XSS?? In terms of performance vs price (~$200) it is even a "miracle" because there is nothing even remotely close to the value it offers. And yet here it is "the potato", object of joke when compare to XSX/PS5 performance and nobody questioned a possible dishonesty in the comparison.

That's when I wonder why some have no problem questioning people who buy an XSX or XSS to play Xbox games instead of a PC "where you'll play better" and suddenly talk about DF dishonesty (and even some asking for it to be banned🙃), about the pricing problem on PC, "a minimum of $1000 just for CPU+GPU",..... I don't know what to think and I'm left in shock 😐

That said, I agree that the comparison with PS5 could have been saved. Mainly because PC hardware and console hardware follow different rhythms and that also affects prices. I believe that they have simply chosen the most well-known and closest reference to many users and I do not believe (nor do I see) any insinuation in that article about the price vs performance value of PS5 that justifies such angry reactions.

Value has been the rationale for consoles from the beginning. On the flip side, you cannot buy a console that equates to a high end PC at any price. That's always been the divide. The question that I think is interesting is where do they meet. Put aside value on the console side. Put aside power on the PC side. Find the technical equivalence. They barely skimmed the surface in one video months ago with the 4060, briefly bringing in the PS5. They should have gone in depth then like they did now. And I don't know why they ignore XSX.

And to be clear, I don't find this video controversial. I just find it useless.

Ah....so they re-upped a portion of the video as 4070 Super vs PS5? lol....ok, that answers my question then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom