• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblur1

Well like, I thought that too. Played a good five hundred games strait and then decided to try some Reach.

Then I went back and holy crap Halo 3 is ugly. Like wow.

Reach armor, chunky Spartans aside, looks the best, IMO. A lot more detailed than H3 armor and the designs were varied without looking ugly and overly designed like Halo 4's armor.

One of the things I'd love to see change in the 343-verse is the horrible Spartan IV armor. Recruit model and some of the basic ones look okay (even though they could use more actual armor) but the rest make no sense from a functionality standpoint and look like they belong in a complete different franchise. Just awful awful stuff.

nib95

Banned
My quick mockup lol.

UC3Halo5_C.jpg~original

Reach armor, chunky Spartans aside, looks the best, IMO. A lot more detailed than H3 armor and the designs were varied without looking ugly and overly designed like Halo 4's armor.

One of the things I'd love to see change in the 343-verse is the horrible Spartan IV armor. Recruit model and some of the basic ones look okay (even though they could use more actual armor) but the rest make no sense from a functionality standpoint and look like they belong in a complete different franchise. Just awful awful stuff.
Not a fan of Reach aesthetic myself even the Marines and especially the ODSTs looked off.

Chettlar

Banned
My quick mockup lol.

UC3Halo5_C.jpg~original

Like you said, sticky grenades would be so interesting if they actually interacted with the sand.

Completely new engine too. I'm expecting it to look great, partially because of Halo 4. Also because of that instance a few weeks ago when Frankie and a bunch of others were all like "today has been a good day" because something technical they had been trying to do worked great or whatever.

Why wouldn't he work with them?

Because nobody likes MS of course.

DUH.

Neoxon

The desert levels should insane. I'm imagining UC3 desert graphical fidelity, taken to even greater heights, with crazy open warfare within it. Hope they have all the sand collapsing and billowing tech and all of that. Be awesome blowing up sticky bombs etc in the sand just to see how it reacts.
tumblr_n5qakgYIpB1twgs7qo1_500.gif

My quick mockup lol.

UC3Halo5_C.jpg~original

That looks awesome.

It also got me thinking, if chief has gone rouge then what is he going to use as a weapon? Surely not UNSC weapons with the lack of ammo? Perhaps he scavenges some alien weapons, whatever is prevalent wherever he is. That also leads me to wander if there will be an all new roster of alien weapons?

Chettlar

Banned
That looks awesome.

It also got me thinking, if chief has gone rouge then what is he going to use as a weapon? Surely not UNSC weapons with the lack of ammo? Perhaps he scavenges some alien weapons, whatever is prevalent wherever he is. That also leads me to wander if there will be an all new roster of alien weapons?

He sure managed alright all by his lonesome in lots of levels all over the games. Overturned and neglected warthogs, deserted bases, etc.

nib95

Banned
Like you said, sticky grenades would be so interesting if they actually interacted with the sand.

Completely new engine too. I'm expecting it to look great, partially because of Halo 4. Also because of that instance a few weeks ago when Frankie and a bunch of others were all like "today has been a good day" because something technical they had been trying to do worked great or whatever.

Absolutely. Sand is just a fantastic and potentially visually arresting setting if done right. Aside from UC3, no game has really touched on it in any tangible way. Halo 5 has a great opportunity with the physics based side of it and I'm super interested to see if they experiment with it.

ufee6uoxyipbw4ky3kkt.gif

AOTC_Nantex_hit_dune.gif

tumblr_lbfd5dSUDi1qbax5no1_500.gif

196728.gif

tumblr_mpzjn9eQXk1r4zr2vo1_500.gif

SpartanN92

Banned
That looks awesome.

Insurrectionists get their hands on UNSC tech and weapons all the time. Hell in 'Ghosts of Onyx' the Innies manage to get their hands on a handful of Nuclear Bombs!

The UNSC ain't exactly a leak proof ship.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Its really hard to capture the feel of sand in a game. Even in Uncharted it was only for brief moment. I dont know how this could actually work in a FPS game, because you cant even walk properly let alone sprint.

Insurrectionists get their hands on UNSC tech and weapons all the time. Hell in 'Ghosts of Onyx' the Innies manage to get their hands on a handful of Nuclear Bombs!

The UNSC ain't exactly a leak proof ship.

Yeah, your right, I didn't even think about that. But surely they would be scarce though. I wasn't saying that there would never be any UNSC weapons in the game lol. Just that I wonder what he will be mostly using in the beginning this time around. Depending on where he ends up it could be a whole new set of alien weaponry.

He sure managed alright all by his lonesome in lots of levels all over the games. Overturned and neglected warthogs, deserted bases, etc.

My post was never about how the MC would fair. lol

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Remember the days where people were complaining of everything being too brown and Halo holding out, being a game full of color and life?

While I'm excited for any halo environment, i hope they keep the colors vibrant.

Will they make Cortana even more sexy? :D
Don't think she'll be coming back.

I still like to think that Master Chief is still adrift in the Forward Unto Dawn.
In my dreams.
The story took a pretty big nose dive after the conclusion of 3s story. K5 trilogy was IMO near cringe worthy and 4s story wasn't up to Halo standard and wasted potentially the greatest Halo villain (Didact) and spoiled what could have been the a awesome return to the series for Cheif. Instead 4 was largely wasted potential and a sour point in the series.
Oh well can only move forward and hope for the future.

Don't think she'll be coming back.

In my dreams.
The story took a pretty big nose dive after the conclusion of 3s story. K5 trilogy was IMO near cringe worthy and 4s story wasn't up to Halo standard and wasted potentially the greatest Halo villain (Didact) and spoiled what could have been the a awesome return to the series for Cheif. Instead 4 was largely wasted potential and a sour point in the series.
she will,each chief halo has her.

Filaipus

Banned
I liked the sand levels in Halo 3 but I didn't really fell I was in a desert. You know, big dunes and sand going all over. It was just a texture.

In my dreams.

Story wise this is what pissed me off the most with Halo 4. The first time you see him he is intimidating and you get the feeling that he will be a great villain... and then he does nothing but talk at Chief for the rest of the game. He demonstrated that he could kill chief with ease, but he doesn't. Chief was fuckin his shit up on Requiem for almost the entire game and he just sent waves of Prometheans after him, something he should have realized wouldn't work after the umpteenth time. He could have taken the time to deal with Chief real quick so that he could focus on his work. Even after all that when Chief is facing him at the end what does Didact do? Talk. 343 made a huge mistake making a villain that is better than Chief in every way by a large margin because at the end of the day Chief has to triumph and the only way they could figure out how to do that was to write him horribly.
What I'm trying to say is that he's basically a bad Bond villain with super powers.

Pathos

Banned
I'm leaning towards the theory that the guy is supposed to be the one to "replace" Chief (that's if he goes rogue). On the other hand, he could be an ally of Master Chief.

I'm leaning towards the theory that the guy is supposed to be the one to "replace" Chief (that's if he goes rogue). On the other hand, he could be an ally of Master Chief.

I think they will set him up as an ally to Chief and keep Chief the main character for this game and then if the new guy is well liked they will give Chief a hero's death in Halo 6 and make the new guy the new main character.

iMax

Really bad analogy, so apologies in advance, but I'm expecting a sorta The Rock (mystery man) vs Vin Diesel (Master Chief) scenario from Fast Five, if that makes sense to anyone.

blamite

Rogue Chief in the desert would be a pretty good way to write armor abilities out of the multiplayer. Those parts of his armor can be broken down and unusable, and they can give the new guy whatever abilities they want to, but just like the Arbiter's active camo it wouldn't make it into matchmaking.

Filaipus

Banned
Story wise this is what pissed me off the most with Halo 4. The first time you see him he is intimidating and you get the feeling that he will be a great villain... and then he does nothing but talk at Chief for the rest of the game. He demonstrated that he could kill chief with ease, but he doesn't. Chief was fuckin his shit up on Requiem for almost the entire game and he just sent waves of Prometheans after him, something he should have realized wouldn't work after the umpteenth time. He could have taken the time to deal with Chief real quick so that he could focus on his work. Even after all that when Chief is facing him at the end what does Didact do? Talk. 343 made a huge mistake making a villain that is better than Chief in every way by a large margin because at the end of the day Chief has to triumph and the only way they could figure out how to do that was to write him horribly.
What I'm trying to say is that he's basically a bad Bond villain with super powers.

I agree at some point but didn't the Librarian change Master chief so that he could fight the Didact and survive the Composer? Didn't the Didact actually try to kill master chief and noticed he failed?

hahaha possibly. No, I mean one man hunting down another that's on the run. I feel terrible that the only example I can currently think of is Fast Five.

I'm not actually reading the current comic because I hate it, but I've been told that the "rogue Chief" plot point seems like it might be resolved in that comic, can anyone confirm?

I agree at some point but didn't the Librarian change Master chief so that he could fight the Didact and survive the Composer? Didn't the Didact actually try to kill master chief and noticed he failed?

The Librarian said Chief couldn't beat the Didact without the forced evolution, but the only thing it ever did was save him from the Composer. Also Didact wasn't trying to kill Chief specifically with the Composer, he was giving it a test run. With the Didact's power at any point in the game he could have just come down and crushed the Chief by making a fist and if he couldn't he could have at least thrown him around until he died.

Filaipus

Banned
I'm not actually reading the current comic because I hate it, but I've been told that the "rogue Chief" plot point seems like it might be resolved in that comic, can anyone confirm?

The Librarian said Chief couldn't beat the Didact without the forced evolution, but the only thing it ever did was save him from the Composer. Also Didact wasn't trying to kill Chief specifically with the Composer, he was giving it a test run. With the Didact's power at any point in the game he could have just come down and crushed the Chief by making a fist and if he couldn't he could have at least thrown him around until he died.

Yea, I agree with you now that you said that. The other thing that I also don't like is the "pre-destined fate". The fact that the librarian says she planned all those things to happen. It's lame and even stupid, if she really planned all that couldn't she have planned it in a better way?

Yea, I agree with you now that you said that. The other thing that I also don't like is the "pre-destined fate". The fact that the librarian says she planned all those things to happen. It's lame and even stupid, if she really planned all that couldn't she have planned it in a better way?

Yeah, that is also annoying too. Hopefully since a different writer is doing Halo 5 the story won't be complete trash. The basic concepts of the story are fine, but the execution is all wrong. I think one big thing that would have made the story a lot better is if the Didact was on Chief's level, not better than him.

Filaipus

Banned
Yeah, that is also annoying too. Hopefully since a different writer is doing Halo 5 the story won't be complete trash. The basic concepts of the story are fine, but the execution is all wrong. I think one big thing that would have made the story a lot better is if the Didact was on Chief's level, not better than him.

True, all the other villains of Halo were either weaker or same level. Even with Gravemind we have a decent explanation why he didn't break him in half.

I think in Halo4 they were trying to go something really EPIC and got lost on it.

she will,each chief halo has her.
Pls don't
Completely agree. Not only that, instead of stretching him out over, say a trilogy, they had him killed off in one game.

We've pleaded to have or see a Forerunner since CE. We get one and his a very poorly written Bond villain.

True, all the other villains of Halo were either weaker or same level. Even with Gravemind we have a decent explanation why he didn't break him in half.

I think in Halo4 they were trying to go something really EPIC and got lost on it.

Another thing I liked about Bungie Halo villains is that they all acted more believable and when they had the chance to kill someone they took it. Tartarus threw the Arbiter off of a massive ledge(one that there would be absolutely no reason that Tartarus would even think it was a possibility for him to survive) and then when he had his final showdown with the Arbiter it was a real fight where the Arbiter bested him in combat, The Prophet of Truth shot Miranda in the back and I really don't even need to bring up the ruthless killings of Noble team. The only time that Bungie messed up on this was with Gravemind after Truth was killed, which to me screams that there was a boss fight planned but it didn't work out.
Completely agree. Not only that, instead of stretching him out over, say a trilogy, they had him killed off in one game.

We've pleaded to have or see a Forerunner since CE. We get one and his a very poorly written Bond villain.
I honestly don't think they killed him off, a lot of people speculate that it was a portal at the base of the composer that he fell into, so he may have just ended up back on Requiem and then escaped before it was hurled into a star. That being said I hope he is dead and is replaced with a villain that isn't so much more powerful than Chief that they have to stupidly write around him not killing Chief.

I honestly don't think they killed him off, a lot of people speculate that it was a portal at the base of the composer that he fell into, so he may have just ended up back on Requiem and then escaped before it was hurled into a star. That being said I hope he is dead and is replaced with a villain that isn't so much more powerful than Chief that they have to stupidly write around him not killing Chief.
I should have used the word "defeated" instead. I would have preferred a building threat over a trilogy, not the joke we were given.
Throw Palmer and the OP Infinity in and you have a bad Halo game.
Im out if she doesn't.
Why so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom