• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers Devastation is incredibly good

MNC

I wonder of the scope of this game is small and downloadable or has a vast campaign like bayometta and vanquish

Famassu

I wonder of the scope of this game is small and downloadable or has a vast campaign like bayometta and vanquish
Probably something in between Korra and Bayonetta, possibly leaning a bit more towards Bayonetta than Korra. I won't be going in expecting full blown insanity throughout the whole game like Bayonetta, but I do expect this to be a bit more meaty & with noticeably better production values than their Korra game, which was obviously made on a very tight budget & deadline. This obviously doesn't have a Bayonetta level budget or development schedule, but from what we've seen it still seems like a big improvement over the cheap feel of Korra.

Also, I wouldn't call Vanquish's campaign "vast", it's a fairly short game.

Tizoc

The thing about MGR was that it was a short game but priced at $60.
However due to its replayability, the price point would fit.

Then again I personally would rather a $60 game that offered good replayability than a $60 game I play once then trade off :p

Besides this game is going for $50, so I think it'll have a nice dose of replaybility.

Famassu

Well, this game has four different playable characters who all have their own skills (though similarities too), so that alone should offer some replay value. Hopefully Platinum continues their excellent usage of difficulty levels as well.

Erm, no. The main character of the first flick was selling something on ebay that was imprinted with some Cybetronian information which led the Transformers to him.

And then Megatron gets pissed because he can't just buy the thing and instead sends skyscraper high robots to retrieve the thing from a teenager for whatever reason.

Never saw the comicon footage.

New gifs(mostly focusing on Grimlock's grabs):

PSAZZrw.gif

kde03oC.gif

W0aCKav.gif

BflxsKF.gif

From the achievements it looks like seven chapters (with bosses at the end), the usual Platinum difficulty levels, five different characters (that you can play the whole game through with), and a separate Challenge Mode. Definitely seems closer to a proper Bayo/Revengeance type of thing than just a scaled-up Korra.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know if the PC version is steamworks at all ? It's much cheaper to buy retail than on the steam store.

Tizoc

Anyone know if the PC version is steamworks at all ? It's much cheaper to buy retail than on the steam store.

How much is retail unless you are getting it from Amazon.de?
Digital steam ver. can be had for $38 from a few traders.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
How much is retail unless you are getting it from Amazon.de?
Digital steam ver. can be had for $38 from a few traders.

It's under 20 quid from Gamestop UK and Game UK in comparison to the Steam store where it's 30 quid. Obviously you're not covered by steam refunds but I'm not too worried with it being a Platinum game.

I'm surprised they decided to 'rename' him as Goldfire. Guess they want Goldbug to be a separate character for the Throttlebots team?
I'm assuming the original version of Goldfire was simply not called Goldbug because his alt mode wasn't a vw beetle anymore, and I guess this incarnation isn't either.
I'm just pulling this out of my ass though.

Never saw the comicon footage.

New gifs(mostly focusing on Grimlock's grabs):

PSAZZrw.gif

kde03oC.gif

W0aCKav.gif

BflxsKF.gif

I'm sure this will be a fun game because action games are Platinum's forte, but all the footage and GIFs I see tell me this is not the IP they should be working with. This completely fails to capture the spirit of the characters and cartoons they were based off. This character moves like Bayonetta, or Dante, or Raiden. It's so far off how Grimlock moves you can't even justify it as playful parody. This isn't a Transformers game at all.

would buy a collector's edition day 1 if they included a G1, don't care if Optimus or Megatron, but, this is the only time I'm missing a CE :\

MrBadger

Transformers Devastation |OT| One shall stand, one shall fall

Transformers Devastation |OT| I'm Trucking Invincible

Transformers Devastation |OT| Michael Bayonetta

I'm not great at this.

Grief.exe

Well, I just pre-ordered from amazon.de for ~$20. (PC)

The page lists the release date as November, I'm hoping that's placeholder.

TreIII

I see a Transformers game infused with some Platinum action game tropes. I don't see why they should limit themselves to the kind of action that has the limitations of cheap cartoons.

Exactly. It's like how Konami and Capcom took a lot of liberties with licensed properties such as TMNT and Alien vs. Predator back in the day, which made for a number of awesome games.

Besides, any TF fan who rolls deep with the brand would know that there have been a variety of games attributed to the series, ranging from the likes of lackluster Mechwarrior clones like "Beast Wars" for PC/PSX to the JP-only GBC game made by Takara which played like a SNK fighting game.

The only thing that would've made me happier than a Platinum-made TF game would've been something made ByKing (re: Gundam Vs team). Who knows, maybe in a few years...

Top Bottom