• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DOOM 3 - Hell exists... and it's on Mars

I never had a problem with the flash light switching myself too, some areas were a little pain due to no lighting apart from your own but the game was fully playable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Grayman said:
I never run vsync in an id game but from tweakguides:

com_fixedTic [-1,0,1] - If set to 0 (the default) Doom 3's ticrate is capped at 60FPS, meaning the game framerate cannot exceed this, except when running a timedemo. If you want to remove this cap, set com_fixedTic to -1. Setting it to 1 removes the cap, but causes the game physics to go out of sync. Removing the FPS cap doesn't necessarily improve performance, and can lead to more variable framerates. Note that com_fixedTic -1 doesn't work as of the latest patch.

are you seeing tearing without vsync on? because the game is going to lock down to 60 on a normal config without vsync on either and that may fix your stutter while running normal fixedtic.
The problem is that setting com_fixedtic to 0 results in a constant stutter effect as you move around. Setting it to 1 completely eliminates this issue, but requires that you hold 60 fps at all times else the game speed will change. Easy to do with modern hardware unless you go too crazy with Sikkmod.

Fafalada said:
I don't have to imagine it - both DeadSpace games did this (though they use spawners as well). Thing is - everything Doom3 tried to do, DS did better and largely perfected.

If they're doing a 4th one - it'd be nice to see something different for once (not that I'm having hopes up after watching Rage gameplay videos).
I don't know if I can agree with that. The type of encounter I'm looking for would be an evolution of System Shock 2. The enemy placement and presence they bring to the scene far exceeds Doom 3 and the Dead Space titles.

I'm basically looking for enemy behavior that allows them to both be unaware of the player as well as enter a search/alert mode. With Dead Space and Doom 3, when enemies are present, they always know your location and are always aggressive. With System Shock 2 it was possible to hear and see enemies before they could see you and, sometimes, they were deadly enough that avoiding them was your only option. It brought a lot of tension to the game that is completely missing in those other titles.

In addition, I never found the combat in Dead Space to be anywhere near as enjoyable as that of Doom 3. Say what you will about id, but they know how to make a game that FEELS great to play. The animations, the impact of the weapons, the camera bob, the mouse movement, everything; it all feels incredible.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Fafalada said:
You mean aside for the fact that they're thematically virtually the same, use the same sci-fi tropes throughout the story, the same type of story-telling, the same mute lead-character with zero personality or story-role, and DS heavily borrows on elements that D3 introduced?

Don't get me wrong, very little of what DS did was particularly original(if anything at all)- it just happens to be an exceptionally well crafted product.

You just can't compare a first person shooter to a game like DS. And you simply can't shit on an old game like Doom 3 for not being as good as a fucking 2010 game. The genre is supposed to improve, it is expected of DS2 to be better.
Compare it to RE4 though, not D3

Angry Fork

Doom 3 won't save my options/settings =( Everytime I change the resolution and AA to the highest one it says you'll need to restart Doom 3 etc. so I do but then it just goes back to the default. I want to get these mods but I want to get that stuff working at least first. Anyone know the issue? I checked the config file and there isn't even any line that has 'aliasing' in it.

Melchiah

dark10x said:
I'm basically looking for enemy behavior that allows them to both be unaware of the player as well as enter a search/alert mode. With Dead Space and Doom 3, when enemies are present, they always know your location and are always aggressive. With System Shock 2 it was possible to hear and see enemies before they could see you and, sometimes, they were deadly enough that avoiding them was your only option. It brought a lot of tension to the game that is completely missing in those other titles.

I remember reading an interview with some guy of Id Software before Doom 3 was released, and the guy said there would be a possibility to hide from the monsters, ie. turn off the lights and hide in the shadows. Too bad, it didn't came to being.

P.S. Just watched the old E3 trailer again. Brings back memories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8NaZZa54cs

ntropy

Angry Fork said:
Doom 3 won't save my options/settings =( Everytime I change the resolution and AA to the highest one it says you'll need to restart Doom 3 etc. so I do but then it just goes back to the default. I want to get these mods but I want to get that stuff working at least first. Anyone know the issue? I checked the config file and there isn't even any line that has 'aliasing' in it.
seta r_mode "-1"
then
seta r_customHeight "1050"
seta r_customWidth "1680" (replace the number values to ur monitor)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Angry Fork said:
Anti-aliasing is the line: seta r_multiSamples "#"

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So glad this game still gets plenty of love. It's far better than most people give it credit for, especially these days. I always found the flashlight complaints to be a little hyperbolic. I never found the game that dark. I mean yeah there is a lot of pitch black shadows covering the maps, but where you need to go and where enemies are is almost always sufficiently lit. I almost never had to rely on the flashlight to make my way through.
The last half of the game is filled with constant barrage of enemies and feels really reminiscent of the old games. It's great, but the soul cube really breaks it. Hell knights, archviles and the odd boss are basically a nonissue because you almost always have a cube charge when you run into them.

As for the last boss, soul cubing it to death was fine conceptually, but it was too damn easy because they give you SO MUCH AMMO before you fight and all you use it on are a bunch of imps and maggots. Complete overkill. The final boss should have been more like D2, start off with imps, then have revenants and mancubi start climbing out, and cacos TP in. More and tougher enemies while still trying to avoid the cyberdemon and build up cube charge. That would have been incredible.

Pimpbaa

The_Player said:
Speak for yourself, mate.

I think I'm speaking for a lot of people (in regards to it being disappointing). It didn't feel like doom, and played more like quake 1 and 2. It's funny though, I'm enjoying it more now than I did back then. Despite it only having a few enemies on screen, it is still very fast paced. And a lot more fun than most current single player campaigns in FPSs. No looking down the scope bullshit or picking off enemies 1 by 1 from behind cover.

Pimpbaa

luka said:
I always found the flashlight complaints to be a little hyperbolic. I never found the game that dark. I mean yeah there is a lot of pitch black shadows covering the maps, but where you need to go and where enemies are is almost always sufficiently lit. I almost never had to rely on the flashlight to make my way through.

Back when I first played the game, I had a shitty old CRT monitor. I really couldn't see shit for most of the game, and the parts in hell were literally unplayable. I wonder if that was true for most? I just finished the game (and playing RoE now) and I barely had to use the flashlight.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pimpbaa said:
Back when I first played the game, I had a shitty old CRT monitor. I really couldn't see shit for most of the game, and the parts in hell were literally unplayable. I wonder if that was true for most? I just finished the game (and playing RoE now) and I barely had to use the flashlight.
Hell was fine on my CRT back in the day. I hardly remember using the flashlight at all during the finale.

Seanspeed

Banned
I liked that you had to switch between the flashlight and a gun. It made advancing through the darkness a bit scarier for me.

Galdelico said:
doomiii.png

I love the contrast between the tablecloth and the cover art in this shot.

G-Fex

I wanted a Doom sequel, I got some first person survival horror I didn't like at all.

Sorry but Doom 64 will always be the doom 3 to me.

dark10x

The game is best played on CRT simply because it appears properly dark. LCDs completely wash out and ruin the image.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
dark10x said:
The game is best played on CRT simply because it appears properly dark. LCDs completely wash out and ruin the image.
This might have been true 7 years ago, but most high end LCDs these days certainly do it justice. It looks stunning on my Samsung LN32A550.

Pimpbaa

dark10x said:

All the CRTs I've had failed to be properly dark after a couple of years. Make dark games hard to see and completely fucking up the contrast (bright skys would make the road too dark). They started putting gamma correction in games for that very reason. I was done with CRTs years ago. Nothing beats a high quality LCD running at it's native resolution.

JRW

dark10x said:

This is true for the most part but if you can find an LCD that uses a PVA panel you'd be surprised how good the black levels & shadow details are on those, Not even the best IPS panel can come close in terms of the actual measured black point, I have a PVA sitting next to a TN panel right now and the difference is ridiculous. Doom 3 looks great on the PVA (Samsung 2333T).

I was comparing images on both recently and when looking at this pic on the PVA the clouds are much darker especially towards the bottom left of the screen, also the orange patch of clouds towards the top have much richer color, it almost has a 3D effect, but on the TN the whole image is washed out / faded in comparison.

I also took this pic to give an example of black levels (TN on the left of course, PX2370).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It's absolutely tragic that most pc display manufacturers are cheaping out on TN panels these days. I have an older Benq that uses a P-MVA panel (got it before my Samsung) and it looks fantastic. Right after that they started putting TNs in all their screens. Every time I go to an electronics store I see rows of screens with uneven colors and awful viewing angles.

Anyone who games primarily on PC owes it to themselves to get a decent HDTV instead.

What site should I visit for Doom 3 mods and what are a few good/necessary ones to use? I upgraded my computer and would like to play this again.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
No mods are really necessary save for the simple widescreen init fix. The only mod I play with is the Reznor Sound Pack.

If anyone needs a flashlight mod just to make the game playable, I'd venture a guess that their monitors aren't calibrated properly. :p

Thanks for the info on the sound pack. That'll help a lot.

I also am looking at the flashlight mods and this seems to be the best - http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Duct_Tape_NoObEvEr;89018

Ambient lightning also - http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Ambient_Light;55259

When I meant looking for mods I didn't mean anything that would unbalance the game, just something to add proper lightning, whether it be ambient or dynamic. If I shoot a weapon I want to see a muzzle flash + I want it to sound like I'm shooting. I remember shooting a pistol in the Doom 2/previous games and the pistol always sounded nice and loud. Who can forget the DB Shotgun's BOOM... chik-click sound of firing then reloading the chambers? I like the weapons to sound realistic...

Any other mods I should look out for that'll help me in those areas?

Some people believe that the duct tape mod unbalances the game because it's paced around having to switch from flashlight to gun constantly. And maybe they're right - but it doesn't mean I think it's fun to do so.

Honestly though I found Sikkmod's little headlamp to be fine in those moments where I need a light but don't feel like switching to my flashlight.

peakish

The Frankman said:
Thanks for the info on the sound pack. That'll help a lot.

I also am looking at the flashlight mods and this seems to be the best - http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Duct_Tape_NoObEvEr;89018

Ambient lightning also - http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Ambient_Light;55259

When I meant looking for mods I didn't mean anything that would unbalance the game, just something to add proper lightning, whether it be ambient or dynamic. If I shoot a weapon I want to see a muzzle flash + I want it to sound like I'm shooting. I remember shooting a pistol in the Doom 2/previous games and the pistol always sounded nice and loud. Who can forget the DB Shotgun's BOOM... chik-click sound of firing then reloading the chambers? I like the weapons to sound realistic...

Any other mods I should look out for that'll help me in those areas?
Honestly I'd not bother with the ambient lighting mod, it looks very bright in those screens. It will probably flatten out the bump maps, plus ruin a lot of the great lighting effects like the scene which is "totally" dependent on the player not seeing shit.

Then again if you've played the game before you probably know what you're getting into with it.

dark10x

JRW said:
This is true for the most part but if you can find an LCD that uses a PVA panel you'd be surprised how good the black levels & shadow details are on those, Not even the best IPS panel can come close in terms of the actual measured black point, I have a PVA sitting next to a TN panel right now and the difference is ridiculous. Doom 3 looks great on the PVA (Samsung 2333T).

I was comparing images on both recently and when looking at this pic on the PVA the clouds are much darker especially towards the bottom left of the screen, also the orange patch of clouds towards the top have much richer color, it almost has a 3D effect, but on the TN the whole image is washed out / faded in comparison.

I also took this pic to give an example of black levels (TN on the left of course, PX2370).
I'm not suggesting that LCDs haven't improved in that regard, but even the best panels are still a far cry from what a CRT could deliver (though LCDs do have a better ANSI contrast ratio). I've yet to see an LCD that can match the Pioneer Kuro I'm using when it comes to true black levels. Still the ultimate display.

All the CRTs I've had failed to be properly dark after a couple of years.
I've encountered this before with certain CRTs, but in general, that hasn't been the case.

Kydd BlaZe

Never had the chance to play the PC version of DooM³, but I had an absolute blast with it on the Xbox. Even bought the Collector's Edition day one. I never understood the flak that this game got either, as I felt that it was one of the most satisfyingly intense shooters I have ever played. It most certainly wasn't on the level of Half-Life 2 or even The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (never played Far Cry, so I couldn't compare), but it was damn fun.

I've also always wondered why id never ported it over to the 360 like titles such as F.E.A.R. and Half-Life 2. DooM³ would have been an awesome launch title for the system.

JRW

dark10x said:
I'm not suggesting that LCDs haven't improved in that regard, but even the best panels are still a far cry from what a CRT could deliver (though LCDs do have a better ANSI contrast ratio). I've yet to see an LCD that can match the Pioneer Kuro I'm using when it comes to true black levels. Still the ultimate display..

Oh I agree Kuro's are untouchable Ive been gaming on one for 3 1/2 years, I was just suggesting if one wanted a PC LCD with good black levels then PVA panels offer the best performance, for example my 2333T measures a 0.04 cd/m2 black point while most TN & IPS panels measure in the 0.20 - 0.30 cd/m2 range which is considerably worse.

However the 2333T is a bare bones model and doesnt have Overdrive so it might be a turn off for some gamers, personally it doesnt bother me because the 2333T's input lag is very low (as shown here vs. my PX2370 TN panel) but they do make PVA models with Overdrive at about 2x / 3x the price (BenQ & Eizo models).

Ecrofirt

Hey all, silly question.

This thread made me want to start up Doom 3 again. I've got the retail copy of the game for PC (box, discs, and my CD key). Is there anything I can do to get it registered via Steam?

I'd like to look into getting the expansion pack and whatnot, and the availability of everything on Steam would be awesome.

Ecrofirt said:
Hey all, silly question.

This thread made me want to start up Doom 3 again. I've got the retail copy of the game for PC (box, discs, and my CD key). Is there anything I can do to get it registered via Steam?

I'd like to look into getting the expansion pack and whatnot, and the availability of everything on Steam would be awesome.

In Steam, under the "Games" menu item ("Steam", "View", "Friends", "Games", "Help") click "Activate Product on Steam" and punch in your Doom 3 CD key.

There's no telling if it'll actually work, but with some games, it does.

Ecrofirt said:
Hey all, silly question.

No, you can't. Here's the list of all the games that you actually can.

Picked up this baby on Xbox today. Looks fantastic for an Xbox game. On par with Quake 4 (which I almost bought too at Play n Trade). I'm having a real good time. Put about 2 hours into it. I haven't played a Doom game since back in middle school when my friend got Doom 2.

Nessus

My biggest problem with the game wasn't the flashlight or the monster closets, it was the damn key cards/passwords.

The game would be so much better if it were more straight forward and didn't waste your time searching for keycards.

For example, the Hell sections are more fun because there aren't any keys.

Nessus said:
My biggest problem with the game wasn't the flashlight or the monster closets, it was the damn key cards/passwords.

The game would be so much better if it were more straight forward and didn't waste your time searching for keycards.

For example, the Hell sections are more fun because there aren't any keys.
But Doom without shotgun and keys isn't Doom! Also, stop bumping teh thread, you're forcing me to replay the game one more time.

Melchiah

o_O

Will definitely have to try the game with those mods. Any idea how much they'll increase the load on the system? I ask because my old laptop with Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz & Geforce 9600M GT 512MB runs the regular Doom 3 quite well, but not so well the newer games.

legacyzero

Banned
So as far as the Texture Mod goes, does somebody have a TL;DR on how to install that?

I'm still kinda learning this modding thing..

EDIT: Oh, and every time I enable the Sikkmod, get just get a white screen with a HUD overlay.

Son1x

I played the game with a friend of mine with the co-op mod. It takes away the scare factor, but I still enjoyed it.

legacyzero

Banned
this thing is getting frustrating.

Setting the resolution and AA is a pain in the ass. Even though I set the resolution in the .cfg file, it still lists it as 640 in the game. and the AA wont update at all either.

what Am I missing GAF?

delta25

Banned
People with Ati cards be warned sikkmod has a lot of problems with Ati cards, to the point that it pretty much doesn't work

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
legacyzero said:
this thing is getting frustrating.

Setting the resolution and AA is a pain in the ass. Even though I set the resolution in the .cfg file, it still lists it as 640 in the game. and the AA wont update at all either.

what Am I missing GAF?
What it lists in the game is meaningless, you should be able to tell if what you added to the INI is enabled. Don't touch the ingame settings after modifying the INI because they will reset your resolution.

legacyzero

Banned
Stallion Free said:
What it lists in the game is meaningless, you should be able to tell if what you added to the INI is enabled. Don't touch the ingame settings after modifying the INI because they will reset your resolution.

I was seeing the resolution change once I did it. However, it was jaggy as HELL suggesting to me that the AA was off

What would be considered the AA settings in the INI? Multisampling? because I've set that to 8 and 16 and still nothing.

thanks for the help BTW.

legacyzero

Banned
Even though the INI files shows the new resolution, all i'm getting is this when I screen cap.

c07a5d8d70d8c909dfdbd946c3455c2904f01333.jpg

e6878aaeb45a8b667b52155c892b100c19d57737.jpg

Just will not work for me...

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I would love to reply this game, but no longer have a PC that could run it worth a crap and the Xbox version is too watered-down. I remember tweaking the shit out of my PC and ATI Radeon 9800 to get this to run well back in the diz-ay.

I would absolutely pay $20 for this game on the 360, with Resurrection of Evil, bumped up graphics, and achievements. Do you hear me id, me and possibly a dozen people will give you $20?!

legacyzero

Banned
FINALLY got that shit working.

It's awful how much screwing around and trial and error you have to go through to get it right..

49fe538cd4fa604d78ef69bdd63b253b50c348a2.jpg

Top Bottom