• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Red

pestul said:
Dang, Dolphin 3.0 is really good. Fixed a lot of games..
Anyone know if Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 run with sound now? Main reason I haven't played through them on Dolphin yet.

.:Wesker:. said:
Looks like babby's first texture pack to me, but I'll give it a shot.

Do you mean the quality or the quantity? If it's the former then I can't help you but if it's the latter then you need to look for posts by hyperspeed on that thread as he's the guy that took over converting the textures for use on wii. There's over a gigs worth at the last count.

Lace

The one option I've wanted to see since the very beginning was the option to auto update. Nothing is worse then reinstalling everything when you want to play your newly released game on your pc instead.

Crunched said:
Anyone know if Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 run with sound now? Main reason I haven't played through them on Dolphin yet.
I know Mario Galaxy 1 will run, ive just started it in 720p on my Core i5 2400 + ATI 5850 but the music glitches, you get sound but no music unless you use the Wii DSP files and you can enable LLE audio but on mine the music stutters.

jediyoshi

ribbonlace said:
The one option I've wanted to see since the very beginning was the option to auto update. Nothing is worse then reinstalling everything when you want to play your newly released game on your pc instead.

You can just copy/move the entire program folder to and fro as you please, none of it is dependant on where it was installed. Although a way to manually update to the latest build would make life easier.

Evershade

Sorry if its a stupid question, but what is the difference between 3.0 and the more recent releases? Are they just bug fixes built upon the 3.0 version or is there more to it?

jediyoshi

Evershade said:
Sorry if its a stupid question, but what is the difference between 3.0 and the more recent releases? Are they just bug fixes built upon the 3.0 version or is there more to it?

They're all just whatever revision is out at that time, the entire thing is constantly updating. The only difference between a numbered version release and what you'd download from their download page is that there's an installer involved and that the version releases are almost immediately outdated.

xemumanic

Crunched said:

You need to enable LLE DSP emulation in the sound tab (I believe), but you'll also need the DSP ROM files. And no, I can't point where to get them. It does take a performance hit to do so, however.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MNC said:
IGNORE THIS POST.

Does 3.0 have the profiles in it? I couldn't find it in the latest revision.
No, they took them out actually for preparation for 3.0. I think it was just that the implementation wasn't that good.

Evershade

jediyoshi said:
They're all just whatever revision is out at that time, the entire thing is constantly updating. The only difference between a numbered version release and what you'd download from their download page is that there's an installer involved and that the version releases are almost immediately outdated.

Excellent, thanks for that. I'm always shocked by the rate at which this program updates and was curious why they bothered with numbered releases.

Dizzy-4U

I will try Rogue Leader with 3.0 when I get home. One of the few GC games that I want to replay so badly. I hope it works this time.

I should also test Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.

Xdrive05

What kind of performance gains could I get from switching to a core i5 2500k from a Phenom II 940 @ 3.6ghz? I've read that the new Intel's play much more nicely with dolphin. But what are we talking about here? 20% faster?

jediyoshi

Dizzy-4U said:
I should also test Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.

Here's about where Mario Tennis stands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyMIazB9N9o

The default camera doesn't even properly distance itself so you have to switch it to the view that's closer in. Tennis and Golf I believe are on the same technology so there may be some problems there too. Still a helluva improvement from how it looked in 2.0.

Dizzy-4U

jediyoshi said:
Here's about where Mario Tennis stands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyMIazB9N9o

The default camera doesn't even properly distance itself so you have to switch it to the view that's closer in. Tennis and Golf I believe are on the same technology so there may be some problems there too. Still a helluva improvement from how it looked in 2.0.
I think the only difference is that now you don't see random polygons coming out from the characters. That's an improvement.

Since Mario Golf is running on the same engine and the polygon thing was the only problem I remember, maybe it's fine this time. I hope so, tried to played it with my GC but there was some serious input lag with that game on my hdtv.

Downhome

Is there a list of the best settings for Wind Waker, or other games, for the latest version of Dolphin? I downloaded it when I got home last night but the settings in my version seem to be different from the lists I've seen online. Either options are there not in the other or vice versa, and that sort of thing.

ss_lemonade

Crunched said:
Galaxy 1 runs pretty good on an i5 2500k. Almost perfect I guess even on a stock 2500k (haven't tried though, I'm at 4.5 right now) You need to use LLE though to get sound working properly

Xdrive05 said:
What kind of performance gains could I get from switching to a core i5 2500k from a Phenom II 940 @ 3.6ghz? I've read that the new Intel's play much more nicely with dolphin. But what are we talking about here? 20% faster?
Not sure how well the Phenoms perform in these emulators, but I have a 2500k and its been performing like a champ, chewing through almost every game I've tried with Dolphin at perfect framerates. I do have it OC'ed to 4.5 but I think you should OC it too if ever you decide to go sandybridge.

Red

Frost_Ace said:
I hope they fixed the mario sunshine glitches with the goo...
Been fine for a while IIRC. Don't have the game to check for you, but I heard it was working a few months ago.

jediyoshi

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect

dolphin2011-06-2915-10odcl.jpg

dolphin2011-06-2917-043e52.jpg

dolphin2011-06-2915-13feur.jpg

dolphin2011-06-2915-11th5v.jpg

jediyoshi

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect Multiplayer

dolphin2011-06-2917-27puf9.jpg

dolphin2011-06-2914-58su9i.jpg

dolphin2011-06-2917-014up7.jpg

dolphin2011-06-2915-245u31.jpg

Stallion Free said:
Wow that looks terrific, any specific tweaks or issues needed?

EFB Copies with Virtual and RAM checked, although I believe those are default settings now. And yeah, I was suprised how well everything holds up. Puts Goldeneye and Conduit 2 to shame in a lot of places. First game I was able to play through with enhancements fully maxed.

There's a setting I don't see in a lot of guides, but for GC games in particular, try enabling Speed up Disc Transfer Rate in the properties. Future Perfect's loading screens are 10-ish seconds with it off to about a second with it on.

Downhome

It makes me sick to my stomach that Game Cube and Wii games have the ability to look this fantastic, yet Nintendo doesn't seem to be doing anything to make that happen. Most of these shots are night and day, a total generational leap in quality for some.

I still need to wrap my head around the options, none of it makes any sense to me.

Has anyone tried Sonic and the Black Knight on Dolphin 3.0? It seems really slow, which is weird because everything else I ran was absolutely fine.

Alpha_eX

Some of these shots are incredible. What sort of PC setup will I need for this, might build one over the weekend if I can get the parts from the market.

jediyoshi

Clever Pun said:
Is it possible to use a save file from a gamecube memory card in dolphin?

Yeah, before you start though you'll want to back up your folder that contains your existing GC memory card files just incase something goes wrong. It'll be <program folder>/User/GC. So just copy that folder and rename it GCBackup or something.

In Dolphin, go to Tools -> Memcard Manager (GC). Hit Browse under Memory Card A and select
MemoryCardA.USA.raw (it'll be EUR if you're using PAL games).

If the file doesn't exist, load a GC game up and let it save something which'll generate the file.

With the card loaded up, hit '<-Import GCI' and select the save file.

The neat part is that for games like TimeSplitters Future Perfect that have user created content, you can go on a site like GameFaqs and load up custom levels people have uploaded (or just things like completed save games)

jediyoshi said:
Yeah, before you start though you'll want to back up your folder that contains your existing GC memory card files just incase something goes wrong. It'll be <program folder>/User/GC. So just copy that folder and rename it GCBackup or something.

In Dolphin, go to Tools -> Memcard Manager (GC). Hit Browse under Memory Card A and select
MemoryCardA.USA.raw (it'll be EUR if you're using PAL games).

If the file doesn't exist, load a GC game up and let it save something which'll generate the file.

With the card loaded up, hit '<-Import GCI' and select the save file.

The neat part is that for games like TimeSplitters Future Perfect that have user created content, you can go on a site like GameFaqs and load up custom levels people have uploaded (or just things like completed save games)

Thanks, but how do I get my GC saves onto my SD card/PC in the first place? The Wii doesn't let me transfer GC saves to an SD card.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
QUESTIONS!

Has a fix been found for the broken blur in Wind Waker yet?

What's Killer7's playability?

The end.

Dascu

EatChildren said:
QUESTIONS!

What's Killer7's playability?

The end.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26443879&postcount=3020
Dascu said:
Heads up: I've tried Killer7 again on a more recent build, namely r7060 (64bit) and with the LLE plugin.

On a 3ghz Phenom quad core, it runs fullspeed and without sound or music issues. No desyncing during cutscenes, no background music dropping after a few seconds. You can shoot enemies just fine if you set Copy to Texture.

I've only ran into some issues so far, but they are not a hindrance:
- You occassionally get stuck in a reload animation. It usually triggers after entering a new room or after a cutscene. It only lasts a second or two.
- When shooting the wings off the first boss, you might get an error message and a crash. There might be other ways around it, but I changed the graphics plugin to OpenGL and disabled CPU Access. Now you can shoot the wings, BUT the speed is going to drop to near zero. Just wait it out and let it finish. You have to do this again in the scene right after the boss battle. Speeds normalize again once all of the feathers are gone. It only takes a few extra minutes to get through these sequences.
- Like the above one, on floor seven of the Union Hotel. There's a lot of flower petals on the ground. You can get through this, but the speed is going to drop to rock bottom. Took me over half an hour to do this. Luckily, there's no heaven smiles on this floor and it's very straightforward. I advise you to equip the Wind Ring before taking the elevator up to this floor.

Played from start to finish.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You are a good man.

-MB-

Someone mind uploading a new xbox 360 pad config, the one in the topic start doesn't work with the latest build it seems.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
can you play waggle wii games with a 360 pad? or do you need to have a sensor bar wiimote/ wii on combo, thats why i havent played wii games on pc yet, i dont wanna turn on my wii everytime i want to emulate lol,plus its in another room

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tiduz said:
can you play waggle wii games with a 360 pad? or do you need to have a sensor bar wiimote/ wii on combo, thats why i havent played wii games on pc yet, i dont wanna turn on my wii everytime i want to emulate lol,plus its in another room
You can bind waggle motions to buttons on the 360 pad. DKCR plays 200% better on a 360 pad with the waggle moves bound to buttons.

Top Bottom