• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Full Graphics Options Revealed

Yasae

Banned
Never heard of PCSS. Had to google it. Unbelievable. Is it super taxing in AC: Unity? What's the FPS hit? I need this in my life.

unity:
In Unity it seemed pretty light - maybe a few FPS difference between low and PCSS. Then again Unity with low shadows is still drawing quite a bit.

Unless the achievements of being able to download from steam matters to you, you can just manually add it to your stream library like other games.

there are some differences in the way Steam handles the game...in the ReadMe file it says Steam will handle the patching process and not RSC like all other versions

there are some differences in the way Steam handles the game...in the ReadMe file it says Steam will handle the patching process and not RSC like all other versions
Well that's obviously because you download the game from the Steam servers and not R*Club. They would have to do the patches that way.

Really the only difference is if you have Steam set to Auto Patch your games. Otherwise R*Club will just have a notification telling you a patch is available.

Well that's obviously because you download the game from the Steam servers and not R*Club. They would have to do the patches that way.

Really the only difference is if you have Steam set to Auto Patch your games. Otherwise R*Club will just have a notification telling you a patch is available.

not every game bought off Steam uses Steam to patch...Elder Scrolls Online patches through it's own launcher even if bought on Steam

Evo X

I'm hoping to run this 4K-1440P downsampled maxed with FXAA on a single Titan X.

If that dual 980 4K 60fps was with absolutely everything maxed, then it should be doable without all that MSAA/TXAA overhead.

wr8KKuJ.gif

Dries

How should one determine what their perfect FOV is? And can we use this same number in ALL games?

RK9039

How should one determine what their perfect FOV is? And can we use this same number in ALL games?

You can check how high you can go without overdoing it when playing the game. For first person games I usually go for 90 or mostly above 85, does the job for all games. Third person is a bit different and trickier but I did used a FOV mod for The Evil Within which worked really nicely.

That last answer about modding reads like its real locked down to stop mods messing with GTA online...

I honestly expected this.

GTA Online is their cash cow, I'd expect them to do everything in their power to restrict cheating and bypassing their progression systems.

nkarafo

hmm so they named the Low" options to "normal". Not bad i guess, if it makes you feel better for your PC.... question is, how will the normal options look, compare to the PS4 version?

Buburibon

I'm hoping to run this 4K-1440P downsampled maxed with FXAA on a single Titan X.

If that dual 980 4K 60fps was with absolutely everything maxed, then it should be doable without all that MSAA/TXAA overhead.

Interesting, I'm expecting quite a bit less from my single Titan X. 60fps @ 1620p downsampled to 1080p, with mostly everything maxed except for demanding settings such as PCSS, MSAA, TXAA, etc. That being said, I hope your expectations are more in line with what we're going to get. Downsampling from 4K would sure be fantastic. :)

dreamfall

I've got a graphics card dilemma- still rocking a 680 2GB, but kind of want to jump to a 980 for this/The Witcher 3/Batman. But the problem is won't the 980Ti be announced by the end of summer (rumored?). Anyone else waiting or jumping?

Portugeezer

Gold Member
hmm so they named the Low" options to "normal". Not bad i guess, if it makes you feel better for your PC.... question is, how will the normal options look, compare to the PS4 version?

I wonder if normal grass is Xbox One grass, or PS4 grass. Or maybe normal refers to the last gen versions?

Grief.exe

I've got a graphics card dilemma- still rocking a 680 2GB, but kind of want to jump to a 980 for this/The Witcher 3/Batman. But the problem is won't the 980Ti be announced by the end of summer (rumored?). Anyone else waiting or jumping?

The next generation of GPUs is supposed to bring huge gains. Die shrink, stacked vram, etc.

If you can wait, you should.

The perfect FoV usually is the same as real-world monitor FoV, but some people prefer higher.
Diagonal FoV is higher than horizontal or vertical FoV
(i.e. sitting closer to a bigger monitor -> higher FoV)

You can use a online calculator (e.g. here) or calculate yourself (see below)

Diagonal FoV:
Code:
2xArcTan[diagonal/(2*view distance)]
Horizontal FoV
Code:
2xArcTan[(diagonal*0.8715)/(2*view distance)]
with Cos[ArcTan[9/16]] ~= 0.8715

Examples:
Sitting 20" away from a 24" monitor has a 55 degree horizontal FoV.
Sitting 80" away from a 55" TV has a a 33 degree horizontal FoV.

Evo X

Interesting, I'm expecting quite a bit less from my single Titan X. 60fps @ 1620p downsampled to 1080p, with mostly everything maxed except for demanding settings such as PCSS, MSAA, TXAA, etc. That being said, I hope your expectations are more in line with what we're going to get. Downsampling from 4K would sure be fantastic. :)

That's fine. 4k down sampling isn't a must for me. I'll just play at native 1440p if it isn't smooth at 4k. GSync should help in that regard.

ref

Hoping I get can a solid 60 at least at 1440p maxed out with SLI 980's.

Can't wait.

Tons of options though, seems like the game will play well on almost every type of machine.

So I bought the game and am trying to download it through Social Club, but for some reason my PC won't connect to Social Club. Not through the website, not through the app, nothing. Works fine in my phone browser though. Can anyone help me out?

zXe

Hoping I get can a solid 60 at least at 1440p maxed out with SLI 980's.

Can't wait.

Tons of options though, seems like the game will play well on almost every type of machine.

More than likely

I was shown the game in 4K resolution running at 60fps. The PC Rockstar was demoing it on is outside the price range of most consumers, with an i7 5930k@3.50GHz, SLI GTX 980, 32GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, but that’s just to show off how pretty it can look. Rockstar says that even average rigs won’t have a problem getting great 1080p performance out of the game, which is encouraging. Scalability is a priority for them.
http://www.pcgamer.com/why-gta-5-pc-is-the-definitive-version-of-rockstars-epic/

nkarafo

It needs a 30fps lock option too for the budget PC crowd. Hovering between 30 to 60 will be awful and i bet that most budget PC owners don't have a GSYNC monitor either.

Zoolader

Bought on Nuveem for $30 and downloading/preloading now. Hopefully my gtx 760 will be able to handle this game decently since I'm holding out another year or so to buy a new graphics card. At the moment I'm playing gta 4 with mods and man does it look awesome, I can't wait to see what modders do with gta 5 on pc.

Nzyme32

It needs a 30fps lock option too for the budget PC crowd. Hovering between 30 to 60 will be awful and i bet that most budget PC owners don't have a GSYNC monitor either.

Which you can do - the PC gamer article in the OP shows the screenshot with refresh rate set to 29hz

xw55V5XRQL66.jpg

epmode

There are always options:

Triple buffering

Borderless window

Forcing the game to render at half your refresh rate (this is an Nvidia option, at least. Not sure about ATI)

nkarafo

Which you can do - the PC gamer article in the OP shows the screenshot with refresh rate set to 29hz

xw55V5XRQL66.jpg
Damn, it looks like you need 6GB of VRAM to max things out... Or is it just for 4k?

I hope 2GB are enough for 1080.

There are always options:

Triple buffering

Borderless window

Forcing the game to render at half your refresh rate (this is an Nvidia option, at least. Not sure about ATI)
Thanks i'll keep that in mind.

Human_me

No it doesn't look like that. It looks like the PC they're running the game on has 6GB of VRAM available and just shy of 4GB is being used.

They arent maxing out the settings though.
Maxing out nearly everything with 4k takes about 5GB. EDIT: 5.7GB (however this is with MSAA cranked up whilst at 4k)

Source:
RSG_GTAV_PC_Menu_Screenshot_004.jpg

Mad1723

Hold the phone!

How do they get 6GB of VRAM with a 980 setup? The cards are all 4GB from most manufacturers. So in SLI, it should recognize only 4GB. Not 6!

So either we're having a sneak peek at the 980Ti that is coming later this year or the client doesn't recognize the VRAM correctly...

Food for thoughts...

The perfect FoV usually is the same as real-world monitor FoV, but some people prefer higher.
Diagonal FoV is higher than horizontal or vertical FoV
(i.e. sitting closer to a bigger monitor -> higher FoV)

You can use a online calculator (e.g. here) or calculate yourself (see below)

Diagonal FoV:
Code:
2xArcTan[diagonal/(2*view distance)]
Horizontal FoV
Code:
2xArcTan[(diagonal*0.8715)/(2*view distance)]
with Cos[ArcTan[9/16]] ~= 0.8715

Examples:
Sitting 20" away from a 24" monitor has a 55 degree horizontal FoV.
Sitting 80" away from a 55" TV has a 33 degree horizontal FoV

lol

nkarafo

They arent maxing out the settings though.
Maxing out nearly everything with 4k takes about 5GB.
So, considering that 4k is almost 4x the pixel density compared to 1080, should i assume that 2GB will be enough for max settings at 1080p?

If not then i will have to settle at 1360x768 with myGTX960.

finalflame

How much memory does MSAA usually eat up or does that depend from game to game?

Quite a bit, MSAA is essentially sampling certain items on the screen at higher resolutions/multiple times then compressing them back down to get rid of jaggies. It's pretty VRAM intensive.

Hold the phone!

How do they get 6GB of VRAM with a 980 setup? The cards are all 4GB from most manufacturers. So in SLI, it should recognize only 4GB. Not 6!

So either we're having a sneak peek at the 980Ti that is coming later this year or the client doesn't recognize the VRAM correctly...

Food for thoughts...

Who said these were 980s? Titans and Titan Blacks have 6gb of VRAM.

Top Bottom