• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Pro Patch Live Early?

dan2026

This thread should maybe get a title change warning people not to download the update.
This could make the game irreversibily worse.

AmyS

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-20-final-fantasy-xv-updated-with-60fps-ps4-pro-patch

Final Fantasy 15 has received a sizeable update, headlining with a long-awaited PS4 Pro patch to run the game at a maximum of 60 frames per second.

To date there has been two PS4 Pro options - Lite and High - capping the game at 30 frames per second. The High mode has previously seen some jittery results due to some frame-pacing issues; Digital Foundry is currently looking into what the patch can deliver and will offer its thoughts in the very near future.

Woof, noticed this thread just in time to cancel the download. :p
I'll give both 1.04 modes a spin and see what I like best, I want this off my backlog.

Frame-Rate Vid from VG Tech:
https://youtu.be/grmz_bF-NuY

As expected, they just ruined Light Mode for me. It's more closely to 30fps than 60fps. And of course no fix for the high mode, so thanks for nothing, SE. This is really annoying.

Maybe someone wants to make a new thread with this. Cant do it right now.

What I'm noticing the most is the animation speed up for everything. This includes the Map/Menu. Stuff that used to lag is quick as hell. The movement of the cars is jarring though, like it's speed up by 50%

As expected, they just ruined Light Mode for me. It's more closely to 30fps than 60fps. And of course no fix for the high mode, so thanks for nothing, SE. This is really annoying.

Welp, definitely not touching the game until this is fixed.

I was fine with the 30FPS mode. Had no issues putting 50-60 hours into it. But now I have to choose between a terrible HQ mode and variable FPS. Ugh.

40-45fps...

Just wonderful. That won't feel unstable at all...

With dips into the low 30fps at other areas like at the 7 minute mark. The framerate is all over the place now and not even close to the 60fps target. They just uncapped it and thats all. The worst.

leng jai

This patch makes no sense whatsoever. What's the point of boosting it to "60fps" when it's erratic as hell and 45fps half the time? That's worse than locked 30fps. Should have spent time trying to fix the frame pacing in High mode.

heringer

What the hell? Around the 7 min mark the game is struggling to mantain 30 fps... how the hell did the regular PS4 mantained 30 fps all the time (assuming it does, haven't played yet).

pottuvoi

Banned
This patch makes no sense whatsoever. What's the point of boosting it to "60fps" when it's erratic as hell and 45fps half the time? That's worse than locked 30fps. Should have spent time trying to fix the frame pacing in High mode.
Yup.
I wouldn't wonder if most locked games look like this without the lock.

Would love to see them to fix frame pacing and if they really want 60fps mode use dynamic resolution with it. (If GPU limited.)
Soft vsync certainly would be nice addition if pacing cannot be otherwise fixed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yup.
I wouldn't wonder if most locked games look like this without the lock.

Would love to see them to fix frame pacing and if they really want 60fps mode use dynamic resolution with it. (If GPU limited.)
This is exactly what happens when you disable the frame-rate cap on a locked 30fps title. In order to hit 30fps at all times, the game will always need to render above that rate.

raven777

First KH0.2 and now this...

I hope SE understand there are people who prefer locked consistent 30fps than inconsistent 40~60fps. Please give us option for locked 30fps SE.

Solrac

so SE just ruined the only available stable mode to enjoy this game ?

seyvec9.gif

Plum

Another reason why Sony really needs to implement a game-by-game Pro Mode toggle. Was looking forward to getting round to this in the Summer but now I don't think it's worth it.

Freeman76

First KH0.2 and now this...

I hope SE understand there are people who prefer locked consistent 30fps than inconsistent 40~60fps. Please give us option for locked 30fps SE.

There should be plenty of options. Im so used to FPS being all over the place from playing MMO games like WoW, GW2 etc, where I can have a nice steady 45fps in the maps...then go to a city or join a world boss and see it tank to 25fps, I think im trained to let shit go.

dark10x

Another reason why Sony really needs to implement a game-by-game Pro Mode toggle. Was looking forward to getting round to this in the Summer but now I don't think it's worth it.
Well, FFXV shipped with Pro support - hence Lite and High mode. It was always a Pro game. They just changed the Lite mode to run unlocked.

BriGuy

Just tried it out. It's kind of distracting. I mean, I can tolerate it, but the fluctuations can be pretty jarring. Also, that timed hunt is more tedious than anything.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Apparently you can play the portable MP3 player when riding the Chocobo now.

Plum

Well, FFXV shipped with Pro support - hence Lite and High mode. It was always a Pro game. They just changed the Lite mode to run unlocked.

Yeah, I just think that, since the Pro's extra power is so segmented (AFAIK) that a simple toggle for whether you want to run the game with the Pro version/patch enabled or as if the console was a regular PS4 would be good. Situations like these where a company messes up the Pro mode for a game would be avoided then.

Asmodai48

This is exactly what happens when you disable the frame-rate cap on a locked 30fps title. In order to hit 30fps at all times, the game will always need to render above that rate.

How many times did you have to explain that FFXIV can't use boost mode in comments? Lol

dark10x

How many times did you have to explain that FFXIV can't use boost mode in comments? Lol
Oh, it comes up CONSTANTLY in every video.

In fact, someone in this latest video posted "USE BOOST MODE YOU MORON" and all I could do was shake my head. Shows how much Sony had its work cut out for it with the Pro - a lot of folks just don't understand this stuff.

Izuna

Banned

In fact, someone in this latest video posted "USE BOOST MODE YOU MORON" and all I could do was shake my head. Shows how much Sony had its work cut out for it with the Pro - a lot of folks just don't understand this stuff.

You're getting trolled so hard

Asmodai48

Haha yea saw that.

dan2026

Do you have any insight on why so many Japanese games suffer from incorrect framepacing?

And never get fixed.

This issue is of great interest to me as it keeps cropping up.

All Western games with framepacing issues seem to get fixed with (relative) ease.
But Japanese ones do not.
But why?

OsirisBlack

Banned
Guess I'm too old to notice or just easily impressed, feels pretty good in light mode to me but I still play in hq mode. Also played through BB more times than I'd like to admit I just guess frame pacing doesn't bother me at all. Only games that I really care for a locked framerate are racers, fps or fighting games.

Maybe, but then again, MGSV could do 60 fps, on normal ps4...

To be fair enviroments in mgsv have way less going on outside of ai routines than ffxv which typically features routinely high quality foliage, lots or dynamic lighting, and some pretty intricitley designed and sporatic enemies.

Rush_Khan

I thought people were exaggerating. As someone who couldn't care less about minor frame drops that was horrible.

I actually prefer this over locked 30...

It is a prime example of why TVs and consoles should adopt the adaptive sync VESA standard, though...

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ugh i shouldve just played this game back when I got it.

I waited 2 months for this patch to improve the experience but its even worse now?

etking

Banned
In my opinion, unstable 40-60 FPS should be MUCH better than stable 30 in theory. But when watching the above video something with the animations seems to be wrong.

Wagram

I didn't update so my copy will be fine. I hope that if and ever I decide to waste money on story content that should have been in the main product, that this is fixed.

Top Bottom