• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3VI0US

It's fucking awesome that they're integrating achievements into older games. Maybe id will do that for Q3 so I can warm up for QZero but so far just Valve I guess.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
D3VI0US said:
It's fucking awesome that they're integrating achievements into older games. Maybe id will do that for Q3 so I can warm up for QZero but so far just Valve I guess.
Achievements need to stay the hell out of online games. What happened to competition for competition's sake? This shit is perverse imo.

Twig

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Achievements need to stay the hell out of online games. What happened to competition for competition's sake? This shit is perverse imo.
And yet there are people like me, who like achievements in ALL games, online and off. I like just getting the achievements through normal play. It's a neat extra.

Stop being such a sourpuss and stop letting the achievement whores ruin it for you.

Also:
D3VI0US said:
What?

Or are you talking about DoD:S?

BobsRevenge

TheOneGuy said:
And yet there are people like me, who like achievements in ALL games, online and off. I like just getting the achievements through normal play. It's a neat extra.

Stop being such a sourpuss and stop letting the achievement whores ruin it for you.
Multiplayer games are there so you play with other people, not so that you meet some goals set by the developers for you to accomplish within that.

The fact that multiplayer games are straying so much from fair competition for the sake of more single player elements I find scary. That CoD4 is so popular is a terrible thing for my perspective. :(

If you're going to have accomplishments leading to better weapons have it last for only a match like CS, MGO, or Crysis. Carrying over things so that the playing field isn't even feels unintuitive as far as sportly competition goes.

Then again I never played RPGs online or anything and I hate MMOs.

Twig

Banned
You don't make any sense at all.

First you complain about achievements in multiplayer games. Then you complain about the unlockables being linked to the achievements.

The former just makes you a crybaby. The latter is actually a valid complaint.

So, which is it?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
saelz8 said:
Also, new low price until the 10th.
2dha72w.jpg

It's not as good as 1.3, but it's a good game in its own right. It's definately worth $4.99.

Just caved in and bought it for $4.99

Haven't played any DoD in years.

Darko

saelz8 said:
Also, new low price until the 10th.
2dha72w.jpg

It's not as good as 1.3, but it's a good game in its own right. It's definately worth $4.99.

Just bought this :D , been plying the original since it came out, redesigns of the levels take a little getting used to (dod_kalt) but its great so far... awesome deal!

Yeah, just bought DoD:S as well. Don't know if/when I'll actually get around to playing it, but I figured $5.00 is too good of a deal to pass up.

zoku88

Not sure if anyone is aware of this, but there's a steam client candidate in the beta section of Steam now. The only change I see right now is increase of speed of the client itself.

BobsRevenge

TheOneGuy said:
You don't make any sense at all.

First you complain about achievements in multiplayer games. Then you complain about the unlockables being linked to the achievements.

The former just makes you a crybaby. The latter is actually a valid complaint.

So, which is it?
Multiplayer is competative gaming with other people (at least the kind I'm talking about) and achievements don't aim towards that goal. It's some sort of personal accomplishment disembodied from the actual goal of multiplayer gaming: to kick other peoples' asses. It perverts the concept imo. I don't want someone on my team going around trying to get headshots or some shit when the point is to capture flags. If your game is good enough you shouldn't need artificial benchmarks to bring people in or keep people playing. Unlockables are even worse because not only is that person focusing on shit that isn't winning, but they get new weapons you don't for it as well!

Like, what the hell? Just because I don't play as much as some dude who has no job and lives in their parents' basement I get stuck with less options? Stat tracking is cool and everything. Leveling people up or whatever I'm fine with as long as it has no effect on actual gameplay. I just don't want people getting advantages because they have more time than me, pre-ordered the game, or paid $10 more for the game. Total bullshit. Yeah, that's right Bad Company, you just got called out.

Twig

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Multiplayer is competative gaming with other people and achievements don't aim towards that goal. It's some sort of personal accomplishment disembodied from the actual goal of multiplayer gaming: to kick other peoples' asses.
I'm sorry?

Before anyone had ever heard about the idea of "achievements", people were always striving to be The Best in multiplayer gaming. Achievements are just a fun little extra. Don't like 'em? Don't pay attention to 'em.

"Perverted." Seriously? That's a little fucking extreme.

As for the unlockables, I don't disagree. But (at least in TF2), the unlockables are pretty situational, so it ends up not being a big deal.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill, though.

Oh, wait...
Just because I don't play as much as some dude who has no job and lives in their parents' basement I get stuck with less options?
And now it's impossible to see you as anything but a crybaby.

DoD:S is totaly worth $5, I got it free with the hl2 silver bundle and had great fun with it.

I've been playing TF2 for a good week now and i'm shocked at some of the achievements you have to do online, some of them are just asking for helo because I cannot see it happerning in regular gameplay.

Things like weenie roast are good because it does happen, but healing a heavy who has to score something like 30 kills without dieing can kiss my arse.

BobsRevenge

TheOneGuy said:
I'm sorry?

Before anyone had ever heard about the idea of "achievements", people were always striving to be The Best in multiplayer gaming. Achievements are just a fun little extra. Don't like 'em? Don't pay attention to 'em.

"Perverted." Seriously? That's a little fucking extreme.

As for the unlockables, I don't disagree. But (at least in TF2), the unlockables are pretty situational, so it ends up not being a big deal.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill, though.

Oh, wait...

And now it's impossible to see you as anything but a crybaby.
:lol :lol :lol

What can I say? I'm a sucker for fairness and sportly competativeness. Seeing people playing competative multiplayer games for any other reason just gets on my nerves and when companies actually support it when they don't even have to I put on my cry-face.

Striving to be the best is the point. Like, trying to get 10 kills in a row without dying by sitting in a corner camping the whole damn time isn't cool. Just play the damn game and get on with your life. I think it perverts the spirit of multiplayer gaming, because you're not playing for the same reasons. It cheapens it imo.

edit: I don't pay attention to them btw. I just hate it when other people do.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
D3VI0US said:

quake 3 already has all the achievements it needs. one.

you 'unlock' it by finishing a round anywhere apart from the top slot.

it's called: "you do not fucking matter".

Twig

Banned
I'm sorry, but this is just driving me nuts.

It's competitive. D: Not competative!
BobsRevenge said:
Striving to be the best is the point.
What are achievements if not another way to say "HEY GUYS LOOK I GOT THIS AWESOME ACHIEVEMENT! I'M BETTER THAN YOU!" (Note: people who do this are lulz-worthy and you should of course make fun of them! Achievements are a fun addition. Take them as anything more than that and you ruin things. But... see below.)

Yes, achievement whores ruin that, but those people were ruining games long before achievements existed. Assholes is assholes, and idiots is idiots, no matter what they're trying to do.

Because this theead needs a break from TheOneGuy's posts insulting people, here's an update on the new games that are on Steam today:

header.jpg

Sacred Gold (9.99 USD)

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=game&AppId=12320

header.jpg

Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation (9.99 USD)

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=game&AppId=15990

Sacred Gold is a good game, and that's a good price for it.
Elf Bowling isn't bad if you have enough booze in you, but avoid otherwise. There are better causal game choices on Steam, such as Chuzzle.

Twig

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Because this theead needs a break from TheOneGuy's posts insulting people
wat

Was I really insulting Mr. Bob there. I don't think so.

I am shocked to hear anything that sounds even remotely non-negative about Elf Bowling, though. D:

derder

Anyone have any idea when STALKER goes on sale? The new game is coming out soon, do you think that they'll drop it at release or soon before or not at all?

derder said:
Anyone have any idea when STALKER goes on sale? The new game is coming out soon, do you think that they'll drop it at release or soon before or not at all?

Well, it's already $20, isn't? Pretty good deal, I think. Or are you wondering if it'll be one of the weekend deals between now and then? I'd hazard a no, but hey.

TheOneGuy said:
Uhm, if it was that simple. It might work for some multiplayer games but for objective based multiplayer games achievement whores can ruin the game for the others as well because they don't focus on the map's goals but on their own specific goals.

TheOneGuy said:
What are achievements if not another way to say "HEY GUYS LOOK I GOT THIS AWESOME ACHIEVEMENT! I'M BETTER THAN YOU!" (Note: people who do this are lulz-worthy and you should of course make fun of them! Achievements are a fun addition. Take them as anything more than that and you ruin things. But... see below.)

Yes, achievement whores ruin that, but those people were ruining games long before achievements existed. Assholes is assholes, and idiots is idiots, no matter what they're trying to do.
In all honesty I don't know what achievements are for. They certainly don't gauge your qualities as a gamer and can mostly be achieved by just playing for a very long time. Plus I don't think the majority even care about achievements from other people.

They can keep the achievements in single player portions for all I care but I'm definetly in the "keep them out of multiplayer games" camp - going by recent trends I don't see that happening though.

Volcynika

SenseiJinx said:
Well, it's already $20, isn't? Pretty good deal, I think. Or are you wondering if it'll be one of the weekend deals between now and then? I'd hazard a no, but hey.

They'll probably throw some deal up whenever the new game is released.

Twig

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Uhm, if it was that simple. It might work for some multiplayer games but for objective based multiplayer games achievement whores can ruin the game for the others as well because they don't focus on the map's goals but on their own specific goals.

In all honesty I don't know what achievements are for. They certainly don't gauge your qualities as a gamer and can mostly be achieved by just playing for a very long time. Plus I don't think the majority even care about achievements from other people.

They can keep the achievements in single player portions for all I care but I'm definetly in the "keep them out of multiplayer games" camp - going by recent trends I don't see that happening though.
Look, I know where both you and Bob are coming from, I just... don't think it's a big deal. Like I said, I think they're a fun little extra. They're fun to get through NORMAL play. I have never, ever farmed for achievements. (Well, I've inadvertently farmed a few, in an attempt to speed up others' farming to get the game going.) In fact, I've been known to complain when other people DO, because I just want to play the damn game. But said farming usually only lasts for a couple days, and even then, not ALL DAY LONG. So I just avoid it. And then when people start playing for real again, I start playing again, and through NORMAL play, I unlock various achievements, and I'm like "hey! that's cool!"

A couple weeks ago, I got the medic achievement to hit five times with the bonesaw without missing or dying. It was just me against a pyro, soldier, and demoman. The other guy on my team was already dead. (It was a small game, only five people.) I jumped down into the middle of them, bonesawed the demo and soldier twice each, and they died! I ran away from the pyro to grab a health pack then jumped right back at him, hit him once, got the achievement, and died. I wasn't trying to get the achievement, I just did. But it was pretty awesome when I did. And I wasn't ruining other people's enjoyment of the game, so... I dunno. (I also unlocked the ubersaw with the achievement, which quadrupled the awesome.)

I don't think it's a big deal. I wouldn't particularly care if they were removed, as I still have fun with the games I play, but I see no reason to remove them just because a bunch of achievement whores spend a couple days trying to get them.

However, since certain people obviously don't like it when I post about these sort of things, I'm going to stop after this one.

epmode said:
This is absolutely correct. However, even the PS3 version shoots digitally via the analog pad. You just have to live with it or use the buttons to shoot (which feels a lot better to me).

The problem with the Steam port is that even the movement controls are digital, while the PS3 version has full analog movement. This will be fixed in an upcoming patch but the programmer is sure taking his time getting around to it.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the info

Mrbob

You didn't insult me because you didn't respond to me. :p

Penny Arcade game is 10 bucks on steam this weekend. Worth it at half off?

Slavik81

Diablohead said:
DoD:S is totaly worth $5, I got it free with the hl2 silver bundle and had great fun with it.

I've been playing TF2 for a good week now and i'm shocked at some of the achievements you have to do online, some of them are just asking for helo because I cannot see it happerning in regular gameplay.

Things like weenie roast are good because it does happen, but healing a heavy who has to score something like 30 kills without dieing can kiss my arse.
I actually saw that once.
Of course, I've played hundreds of hours of TF2...

Althane

Mrbob said:
You didn't insult me because you didn't respond to me. :p

Penny Arcade game is 10 bucks on steam this weekend. Worth it at half off?

Figure you're paying $2 for each hour of gameplay.

Read PA? Like it?

Then probably.

TheOneGuy said:
Look, I know where both you and Bob are coming from, I just... don't think it's a big deal. Like I said, I think they're a fun little extra. They're fun to get through NORMAL play. I have never, ever farmed for achievements. (Well, I've inadvertently farmed a few, in an attempt to speed up others' farming to get the game going.) In fact, I've been known to complain when other people DO, because I just want to play the damn game. But said farming usually only lasts for a couple days, and even then, not ALL DAY LONG. So I just avoid it. And then when people start playing for real again, I start playing again, and through NORMAL play, I unlock various achievements, and I'm like "hey! that's cool!"

A couple weeks ago, I got the medic achievement to hit five times with the bonesaw without missing or dying. It was just me against a pyro, soldier, and demoman. The other guy on my team was already dead. (It was a small game, only five people.) I jumped down into the middle of them, bonesawed the demo and soldier twice each, and they died! I ran away from the pyro to grab a health pack then jumped right back at him, hit him once, got the achievement, and died. I wasn't trying to get the achievement, I just did. But it was pretty awesome when I did. And I wasn't ruining other people's enjoyment of the game, so... I dunno. (I also unlocked the ubersaw with the achievement, which quadrupled the awesome.)

I don't think it's a big deal. I wouldn't particularly care if they were removed, as I still have fun with the games I play, but I see no reason to remove them just because a bunch of achievement whores spend a couple days trying to get them.

However, since certain people obviously don't like it when I post about these sort of things, I'm going to stop after this one.
Well I'm very picky with my server choice but even then I always end up with a couple of achievement oriented players in ET:QW, that rather play a class they obviously aim for achievements at (for instance playing agressor and only using the lightning gun) than playing the class that helps the team at fullfilling the objective.

And the achievements have been in the game right from the start. It's more than just an annoyance. I don't care if people want achievements in their games for purposes I can not fathom - give it to them for all I care. But as I said, keep them out of the multiplayer - alas this is mainstream now and it does look like it'll be the standard even for PC gaming sadly.

This may not hold true for TF if you can get the achievements very fast and afterwards everyone plays normally again, but since TF is boring it's not of big interest to me. It begs the question though, if what you said is true then why put the achievements in there in the first place, if they're easy as cake and only take a tiny bit of time to fullfill?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Phife Dawg said:
This may not hold true for TF if you can get the achievements very fast and afterwards everyone plays normally again, but since TF is boring it's not of big interest to me. It begs the question though, if what you said is true then why put the achievements in there in the first place, if they're easy as cake and only take a tiny bit of time to fullfill?

Not all of them are easy as cake to get. Some of them require a bit of skill to get. And for the most part, as long as you don't completely suck at the game, then you will get the majority of them. Stuff like x number of enemies killed comes from playing a lot. Destroying a sentry with it's own rockets using the air compression blast is a bit tricky to pull off. As is stuff like hitting an opponent with the Dan Haydouken taunt. They are there for both crowds. The stuff with the medics is a bit wtf though. >.>

Honestly, it might suck at the beginning when everyone is trying to get the new toys, but it dies down rather fast. If it bothers you that much then you have the option of making your own server and setting up class limitations. Hell, you can play like you normally play when the achievement whorism starts. Just see how the classes align and go to town. It really isn't a big deal.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
New game added to Steam: The Wonderful End of the World.

The game is a Katamari Damacy clone, make of that what you will. The demo is actually pretty good, especially the second level, but I'll probably wait until it gets a bit cheaper before getting the full version.

I finally got the Unreal Pack on Steam and holy crap I still cannot believe there are 1000+ servers still running the original Unreal Tournament.

Thomper

morningbus said:
New game added to Steam: The Wonderful End of the World.

The game is a Katamari Damacy clone, make of that what you will. The demo is actually pretty good, especially the second level, but I'll probably wait until it gets a bit cheaper before getting the full version.
It's just 9 dollars, right? That's already a pretty great price. The music's good, the demo plays nice, it even has achievements, I definately like it.

Volcynika

Weekend deal:

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords 50% off - $9.99!

I already have the DS version, but maybe my brother might get it.

EDIT: The game still shows up as $19.99 when you try to buy. Odd.

morningbus

Volcynika said:
Weekend deal:

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords 50% off - $9.99!

I already have the DS version, but maybe my brother might get it.

EDIT: The game still shows up as $19.99 when you try to buy. Odd.

Just bought it and it showed up as $9.99.

You know, other digital download services should do this weekend sale stuff. So far I've bought three games (SiN, Penny Arcade Adventures, and now Puzzle Quest) that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

The flip side to that is that unless I really want a game at launch, I'm going to wait and see if it ever goes on sale.

RJT

I'll definitely buy this. I'm assuming it runs on a laptop with an integrated graphics chip, right?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
morningbus said:
Just bought it and it showed up as $9.99.

You know, other digital download services should do this weekend sale stuff. So far I've bought three games (SiN, Penny Arcade Adventures, and now Puzzle Quest) that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

The flip side to that is that unless I really want a game at launch, I'm going to wait and see if it ever goes on sale.

The PSN and the XBLA have both done weekly sale things in the past.

morningbus

I love these weekend deals. I just bought Puzzle Quest. It's a game I've been wanting to play for awhile, and this gave me the perfect excuse! So far I've bought Prey, Day of Defeat: Source, Sam & Max Season 1, and Puzzle Quest off of the weekend deals.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Actiss said:
For those who don't have it...

header.jpg

...is $15 this weekend (U.S. only?).

$15 is US only yeah, because in Europe, Bioshock is priced at 54.99 on Steam, so $27.49 after the cut :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom