• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will refund consumers over ‘deceiving’ PlayStation Vita ads

...the company must also refund $25 in cash or credit or a $50 merchandise voucher.

This could be interpreted several ways. It will be interesting to see what Sony offers. My guess is that you can either choose a $25 check or credit to the credit/debit card used for the purchase (if bought through Sony), or $50 in PSN credit or possibly this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll gladly take a $50 PSN credit.

rokkerkory

$25 or $50 a pop can add up to a lot. Man that sucks but nice that someone is looking out for the consumer.

Hope this will make others deliver on promises.

daveo42

Banned
I ended up getting mine in February 2012 after a co-worker and fellow GAFfer got one and loved it. Was a solid purchase out of the gate too.

While what we did see was pretty much false advertising, no one buying the thing really thought remote play would work that flawlessly and there would be stipulations to cross play. I'm fine with getting $50 credit and that Sony is being held responsible for this, I almost see the entire situation funny and almost unnecessary. It's like the FTC is beating a dead horse right now.

Zalusithix

I have no regrets on getting the system at launch, and I wasn't affected by any of the stuff in the lawsuit. I'll take the $50 voucher just the same though. Haven't gotten around to stacking Danganronpa onto my backlog yet...

$25 or $50 a pop can add up to a lot. Man that sucks but nice that someone is looking out for the consumer.

Hope this will make others deliver on promises.

I can't agree with this enough. I love my Vita and never cared about the feature in question, but I'm really sick of platform holders hyping features they never provide.

PS3 can run games at 120 frames per second, stream six channels of HD, and decode one thousand media thumbnails simultaneously. — Ken Kutaragi and Phil Harrison PS3 E3 reveal

georly

cv135.jpg

http://www.castle-vidcons.com/2014/11/25/comic-135-refund/

I'm always amazed at how quick they are

Seems like a straightforward ruling. Sony was clearly being deceiving. Glad to see the system looking out for the consumer in cases like this. Seems all too rare.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I can't agree with this enough. I love my Vita and never cared about the feature in question, but I'm really sick of platform holders hyping features they never provide.

PS3 can run games at 120 frames per second, stream six channels of HD, and decode one thousand media thumbnails simultaneously. — Ken Kutaragi and Phil Harrison PS3 E3 reveal

Or 7.1 sound output from the psp, such an odd claim/promise.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Bought my Vita March 2oth. And MLB June.
$50 credit. Nice. That's Bloodborne or Uncharted or my indie games for the next couple of months. It's going right back into their pockets so it shouldn't be too bad to their bottom line. But that's a lot of consoles. What'd it do on launch? Like 2 million plus? Then I'll have a good $80 because of my Driveclub refund =D. Don't know if I guess falsely advertised to because I'm tuned in but they easily should have lost this.

Companies, stop putting stock footage of random games for features that don't work with it.

rezn0r

any chance this will be decided by seeing who had one registered with SEN before that date? i didn't exactly buy it through normal means (no not stolen - friend worked at best buy & i was invited to the employee auction. open box)

I needed to switch cell providers before the Vita came out. I went with the service that the Vita 3G was going to be on. I never bundled, and only bought one month of 3g after their free month. I am very happy with my Vita, but I was pretty let down by the almost immediate dropping of the inferior 3g..

SoulUnison

Banned
Why only before July?

I bought an Uncharted bundle in November of 2012, and one of the things I specifically believed about it was, as this mentions, was that 3G could be used for all multiplayer, not just "dial-in asynchronous" gaming.

I also never got any of the remote play I was promised, as it came down to a handful of extremely specific titles, and not a system-wide implementation of a feature like the PS4 got.

Then I bought one of their overpriced memory cards and couldn't fit the PSN game I bought on it anymore because after several mandatory updates it couldn't fit on my device and the months of PS+ I paid for were a waste because to play any of the free Vita games I'd have to delete the games already on my portable, *along with* their save data, unless you back u/restore the *entire game* to/from your PC. It's madness.

The Vita's been a real kick in the teeth for me, but al least I enjoyed Persona 4 Golden.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Why only before July?

I bought an Uncharted bundle in November of 2012, and one of the things I specifically believed about it was, as this mentions, was that 3G could be used for all multiplayer, not just "dial-in asynchronous" gaming.

I also never got any of the remote play I was promised, as it came down to a handful of extremely specific titles, and not a system-wide implementation of a feature like the PS4 got.

Then I bought one of their overpriced memory cards and couldn't fit the PSN game I bought on it anymore because after several mandatory updates it couldn't fit on my device and the months of PS+ I paid for were a waste because to play any of the free Vita games I'd have to delete the games already on my portable, *along with* their save data, unless you back u/restore the *entire game* to/from your PC. It's madness.

The Vita's been a real kick in the teeth for me, but al least I enjoyed Persona 4 Golden.

The line had to be drawn somewhere.
My guess is they assumed by the that date, people would know how the device performs through reviews, forums, word-to-mouth, etc... Since it was $300 one could argue these weren't impulse buys and people did some amount of research before pulling the trigger.

rSpooky

In my opinion this is a shitty lawsuit from a shitty person /people in a shitty court system ..
People really need to be responsible for themselves for a chance .. DO your damn research before a purchase..
Interesting that a company actually faces consequences for astroturfing
Who cares, weather real or company created , your own fault if you fall for the hype.

I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before this happened. I remember seeing ads about the multiplayer over 3G thing a few times and I thought to myself that was a lawsuit waiting to happen. The cross save stuff was also a little shady. This isn't exactly the same thing, but this is some hefty repercussions nonetheless.

Good on the FTC. Sony deserved to be punished for that. Publicly getting dinged hard by the FTC however, is not good for Sony going into the holiday shopping season though. Also a pretty bad PR moment for them. Hopefully it'll teach Sony to smarten up on some of the advertising in the future.

Top Bottom