• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

USD

Danielsan said:
Ugly fucking snake like thing. Flies around in a tunnel trowing exploding heads and lightningballs at you. The lightning isn't the problem, the little exploding heads are.
I used the Lunar and hit them with YYYYY (the number of Y's you get depends on the weapon level though).

Danielsan

USD said:
I used the Lunar and hit them with YYYYY (the number of Y's you get depends on the weapon level though).
I was under the impression that they would explode (and hurt me) on impact. Hadn't tried the lunar though. Thanks.

Saya

I heard you can keep your weapons if you start a new game after you finish one, but do you also keep your collected essence? And do you keep your weapon upgrades as well?

NJ Shlice

Danielsan said:
Ugly fucking snake like thing. Flies around in a tunnel trowing exploding heads and lightningballs at you. The lightning isn't the problem, the little exploding heads are.

I kept my distance and charged arrows at his head, if he got too close or when the heads came I just used Ninpo - Wind Blades.

I'm a ninpo pussy when it comes to stuff like that, instead of finding a way to dodge every single thing.

USD

That's bullshit, I thought the werewolves threw leftover body parts from their dead comrades. They actually just pull out chunks of body from nowhere. :lol

Narag

USD said:
That's bullshit, I thought the werewolves threw leftover body parts from their dead comrades. They actually just pull out chunks of body from nowhere. :lol

Consider me disenchanted. I was killing them apart to prevent just that!

USD

Narag said:
Consider me disenchanted. I was killing them apart to prevent just that!
I don't think they'll throw chunks if there are no dead ones, but they definitely don't have be near any parts to start throwing them.

Danielsan

Goddamnit this boss is truly pissing me off. Throwing electric bolts (have to dodge) and exploding heads (have to destroy) at the same time = beyong cheap. Whatever you do, you'll get hit... Guess I'll have to use ninpo even though it still feels like cheating...

NJ Shlice

Danielsan said:
Goddamnit this boss is truly pissing me off. Throwing electric bolts (have to dodge) and exploding heads (have to destroy) at the same time = beyong cheap. Whatever you do, you'll get hit... Guess I'll have to use ninpo even though it still feels like cheating...

Ninpo is def. not cheating in this game. The Art of the Inazuma in NG1 was cheating, by killing every enemy on screen. Ninpo just helps in this game. And they replenish it for you so damn often its ridiculous

U K Narayan said:
So, I've been playing Mentor.

This game is still pretty easy.

Also, I'm enjoying the game a bit more. I guess it isn't so bad.
Dude, quit lying all the time. There's no way you could dislike the game and actually be good at it. We all know you're playing Acolyte.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
WTF...I completely missed picking up the claws at the beginning of the game. Is there anyway i can go back and get them??

Narag

NJ x Falkor said:
Ninpo is def. not cheating in this game. The Art of the Inazuma in NG1 was cheating, by killing every enemy on screen. Ninpo just helps in this game. And they replenish it for you so damn often its ridiculous

Definitely. You get so many free items tossed your way.

Doc Holliday said:
WTF...I completely missed picking up the claws at the beginning of the game. Is there anyway i can go back and get them??

Are they available in Muramasa's shop?

Zophar said:
You've gotta be fucking kidding me. This boss in chapter 12 on the lava pit is probably the cheapest thing I have ever encountered in my entire career as a gamer.

Seriously, what the fuck. Depending on what move he starts with I'm dead in about 10 seconds without getting a scratch on him. I frequently get thrown into the lava generally after having been grabbed and thrown all over the place, costing about 3/4 of my life bar, AND he spawns shit that you can't ignore while he throws unblockable fireballs at you from across the map. And good luck getting him to come back down from the sky!

Oh, but it gets worse. I somehow managed to cheese way through finishing him after eating up all my items and a talisman, and the path to the next area is filled with MINES! INVISIBLE MINES!

Fuck this shit. Now I have to try and kill this bastard again.Christ.

Yeah, fuck those mines. I had turned on my talisman just before I killed the dude, was excited everything was ok, ran over and died. :lol

That's just the 2nd of 3 boss fights on that stage too!

Zophar

You've gotta be fucking kidding me. This boss in chapter 12 on the lava pit is probably the cheapest thing I have ever encountered in my entire career as a gamer.

Seriously, what the fuck. Depending on what move he starts with I'm dead in about 10 seconds without getting a scratch on him. I frequently get thrown into the lava generally after having been grabbed and thrown all over the place, costing about 3/4 of my life bar, AND he spawns shit that you can't ignore while he throws unblockable fireballs at you from across the map. And good luck getting him to come back down from the sky!

Oh, but it gets worse. I somehow managed to cheese way through finishing him after eating up all my items and a talisman, and the path to the next area is filled with MINES! INVISIBLE MINES!

Zophar said:

Yeah, that WAS pretty tough. And he's not even the final boss of that chapter.

Green Shinobi said:
Dude, quit lying all the time. There's no way you could dislike the game and actually be good at it. We all know you're playing Acolyte.
Hey, you're an idiot. I ranked 27th when I completed Path of The Warrior. (It's 60-ish, now). Go fucking check the leaderboard for the gamertag: SYSTEM Turn A.

I don't completely dislike the game. It's growing on me. The game is rough around the edges and the bosses are easier than what the first game had to offer.

MMaRsu

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Hey, you're an idiot. I ranked 27th when I completed Path of The Warrior. (It's 60-ish, now). Go fucking check the leaderboard for the gamertag: SYSTEM Turn A.

I don't completely dislike the game. It's growing on me. The game is rough around the edges and the bosses are easier than what the first game had to offer.

Well it may be easier for you but for the rest of us..

Narag

Green Shinobi said:
You don't need to claim someone else's gamertag to vindicate your dislike of the game, dude.

Its not uncommon for fans of a franchise to not automatically take to the sequel. I'm assuming for a lot of the hardcore NG fans, they won't be able to judge the game for real until they can play on Master Ninja.

MMaRsu said:
Well it may be easier for you but for the rest of us..
Look. I understand that some of you like the game more than I do. I can respect that. I understand that some of you find the game more difficult than others. But to say that I'm LYING about my accomplishments, just because I'm voicing my opinion is ridiculous.

Narag said:
Its not uncommon for fans of a franchise to not automatically take to the sequel. I'm assuming for a lot of the hardcore NG fans, they won't be able to judge the game for real until they can play on Master Ninja.
This is pretty much what I'm aiming for.

U K Narayan said:
Holy shit, you are pathetic. Add me to your friends list if you don't believe me.
I'm fucking with you, dude. Probably kept it going one or two posts too long though. But acknowledging that you're pretty good at this game is like acknowledging that alkaline black doesn't suck at fighting games or that Firestorm might actually be good at Smash Bros. Kinda makes me sick.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
daw840 said:
What does this big silver X with a green circle in the middle do?

Sorry if this has already been asked,

The Xbox? Just replenishes your health.

Master Ninja'd Chapter 3 <3

Ended up passing the Test of Valor without using Item so I can have something to use during the Boss :D Almost died since i started playing around with the bow and kept shooting at him even while he was down :lol

Taking a break on Chapter 4 before boss and doing the Test of Valor. Died once and wanted to cry so I turned off the 360 :lol

I haven't had any problem with the camera so far. Actually like it ;o

MMaRsu

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Look. I understand that some of you like the game more than I do. I can respect that. I understand that some of you find the game more difficult than others. But to say that I'm LYING about my accomplishments, just because I'm voicing my opinion is ridiculous.

I didn't say that you were though :).

MMaRsu said:
I didn't say that you were though :).
I know. <3

Green Shinobi said:
I'm fucking with you, dude. Probably kept it going one or two posts too long though. But acknowledging that you're pretty good at this game is like acknowledging that alkaline black doesn't suck at fighting games or that Firestorm might actually be good at Smash Bros. Kinda makes me sick.
I can understand that. It isn't my intention to gloat (or make it seems as if I am). I'm simply stating things from my perspective.

raYne

Jimmy Stav said:
How are you supposed to beat the water dragon?
You know, you're the very first person to ask this.

It's weird.

brownqk said:
Is it just me, or is it substantially more difficult to counter attack in NG2 than NGB?
In Black/NG there wasn't really an animation before you did it. This one has the full upwards or whatever swing that he does with the weapon before it makes contact and initiates the counter. So it's really just slower than before and leaves you very open if you miss.

Jimmy Stav said:
How are you supposed to beat the water dragon?
Use your arrows. Charge them up to level two and unleash on the beast's cranium.
brownqk said:
Is it just me, or is it substantially more difficult to counter attack in NG2 than NGB?
Initially, it kind of is. You'll get used to it if you keep at it.

Danielsan

Ended up Master Ninja'ing chapter 3. :D

This might be a silly question but what's this "Test of Valor" that everyone is talking about?

watership

daw840 said:
What does this big silver X with a green circle in the middle do

Sorry if this has already been asked,

It heals you. But it's also a great injoke. That was the first look at the xbox when it was announced back in early 2000. They didn't show a case, just this crazy looking metallic X.

Nutter

The game has some weird ways to score you based on performance.

I got Head Ninja on the first 2 chapters, and I fucking kicked ass...Chapter 3 where I had to use 2 continues against the boss, and I got Master Ninja. :lol

X26

Banned
jsut beat chapter 9, good fucking riddance. that part with the lake and the rapid fire rocket launchers was just terrible and the midboss caught me off guard and I Iost ~30K of farmed essence, second half wasn't bad though

Danielsan

Nutter said:
The game has some weird ways to score you based on performance.

I got Head Ninja on the first 2 chapters, and I fucking kicked ass...Chapter 3 where I had to use 2 continues against the boss, and I got Master Ninja. :lol
I'd also like to know how the game actually scores you...
So far I scored Master Ninja on chapter 1 and 3 and Head Ninja on chapter 2 but I think I used the most continues on chapter 3. :/

U K Narayan said:
Use your arrows. Charge them up to level two and unleash on the beast's cranium.

That's surprising because I haven't really had much difficulty with this game until this point and I see no effective way of beating him.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
USD said:
Where in what chapter is the silver Xbox in? I total missed it the first time through.

4, in the same room you can get the dual swords while in the statue of liberty. You have to break something in the room to uncover it.

raYne

USD said:
Where in what chapter is the silver Xbox in? I total missed it the first time through.
That level with the Statue of Liberty (4?). It's in the same room (under the statue) with the glass cases holding the dual swords and incendiary shurikens.

Just downloaded the demo and played through it and there's a few things I have to say.

- This is the first game where I really said "Come on is that much violence really necessary?" It's almost annoying to see so many limbs and heads flying off. I've never had a problem with violence in any game and I don't really have a problem with it in NG2, but it just seems a bit much.

- The camera is pretty troublesome. You get some bad angles and controlling it doesn't help much either. Also saw a few frame rate dips.

- On a personal note I have never liked Team Ninja's art style. Just looks fake, and not very life like.

- Going to a menu to switch weapons? Devil May Cry got shit for that and now in DMC4, you can switch not only weapons, but styles on the fly. NG2's switching seems a generation behind now.

Overall, I'd probably be willing to play the whole game, but these problems/personal distastes definitely won't have me buying the game. Not to mention terrible story.

USD

Papercuts said:
4, in the same room you can get the dual swords while in the statue of liberty. You have to break something in the room to uncover it.
Dammit, missed it again. Is there anything else in there?

Future

Haha midboss in Chapter 2 on Mentor: borderline impossible without enough potions. He is spawned with about 1000 black Ninjas. If you charge your Ultimate techniques, I dont take damage but can still get tagged with explosives shurikens near the end of it....times so they blow up around when the combo is done. They can tag you with shurikens during the flying swallow. Ninjas can throw me. The boss can throw me, in a fuckin demoralizing long ass animation. Everybody can do every attack off screen. Mentor difficulty means that even if you do manage to charge a first level UT, the enemy you hit still doesn't die. Izuna drop is nerfed, as you can get tagged with shurikens when you are up there, and the boss can easily knock you out the air during the combo. Black Ninjas have a fuckin ten hit string. They seem like they respawn forever. No shop around so I can't stock up on anything.

And when I finally managed to beat the mid boss with a sliver of health, I STILL had to face the remaining black Ninjas before being able to get out of there. I didn't.

Thank god I switched to manual save on this next playthrough. If that was my one save it literally would be impossible to go further without restarting the whole damn game

raYne

ToyMachine228 said:
Just downloaded the demo and played through it and there's a few things I have to say.

- This is the first game where I really said "Come on is that much violence really necessary?" It's almost annoying to see so many limbs and heads flying off. I've never had a problem with violence in any game and I don't really have a problem with it in NG2, but it just seems a bit much.

- The camera is pretty troublesome. You get some bad angles and controlling it doesn't help much either. Also saw a few frame rate dips.

- On a personal note I have never liked Team Ninja's art style. Just looks fake, and not very life like.

- Going to a menu to switch weapons? Devil May Cry got shit for that and now in DMC4, you can switch not only weapons, but styles on the fly. NG2's switching seems a generation behind now.

Overall, I'd probably be willing to play the whole game, but these problems/personal distastes definitely won't have me buying the game. Not to mention terrible story.
I'd love to see someone cycle through 9 melee weapons, 5 projectile and 4 ninpo attacks without needing a menu. Particularly while in mid-battle.

Anyway, the camera and story criticisms are valid, but I find the other two points funny coupled with your Gears avatar. ;)

I got my copy yesterday. Started playing on Path of Warrior. Finished chapter one in about 46 mins. So far liking it.

I find Lunar Staff more effective than Dragon Sword in closed combat. Because of staff length you get slight advantage even with quick attack. And "Y" attack is also fast. Charged attack with essense helps clear lots of enemies in closed combat much faster than obliterating them. At my first Muramasa's, I upgraded staff.

Ninja Cinema feature is very basic but it requires very small amount of HDD. That's good. My first chapter replay plus my game save used only 2MB.

I increased 1st and 3rd camera speed to max. So far, haven't had that much frustrating moments because of camera.

Zophar said:

I'm scared now.

Zophar

Alright kids, I've push on and made my way finally to the
Archfiend

How the hell do I kill this guy? It seems like all I can do is shoot arrows at his face. Surely, there's gotta be some weak point or trick to the fight?

S1kkZ

need help with the 2 bosses on chapter 7. i killed the first one but used too much health and ninpo. and the second one always kills me with his "lava rain". and it takes forever to get his health down.

Top Bottom