• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Upscaling Thread (PS1, PS2, DVD)

vpance

Don't wait until the prompt to press the PS button comes up to press it. Just do it shortly after the game loads and before the Playstation logo.

PS360

Banned
vpance said:
Don't wait until the prompt to press the PS button comes up to press it. Just do it shortly after the game loads and before the Playstation logo.

yea thats what ive been doing.

L3 is the right joystick right?

and the "SCEA" screen should come up purple?

oh and im upscaling to 1080p, so should i leave prog. scan off altogether? i dont get how it interacts with the scaler

Brofist

PS360 said:
yea thats what ive been doing.

L3 is the right joystick right?

and the "SCEA" screen should come up purple?

oh and im upscaling to 1080p, so should i leave prog. scan off altogether? i dont get how it interacts with the scaler

no, L3 would be the left one pressed in

Proc

Ah sooo many games I need to catch up on with the PS2. My bag of shame is pretty big when it comes to PS2 now this upscaling gives me no excuse...I still need to play/finish FF12, DQ8, GoW 1/2, SotC, MGS3, DMC3, Ico, and pretty much all of the platformers. Probably going to pick up SotC and a "greatest hits" platformer at the best buy tomorrow, any suggestions as to which one I should tackle first? I'm leaning towards either r&c or sly.

Also: How many of you picked up a ps2 controller converter?

AlphaSnake said:
Sweet Jesus Christ!

Everyone go play GT4 now! It looks borderline like a next-gen game.

It always did on my wega.

(Pics are from Janruary, the game looks sharper now than the screens suggest since I've done a few more tweaks to the tv)

HD2.jpg

gt41080i_JanCal07.jpg

Souther

Banned
Just fooled around and tried out MGS3..

the game really does look even better now with the upscaling features.

Its a 4:3 game with Letterboxed cutrscenes so its best to have your ps3 output with PS/PS2 scaling set to "Normal" and the filter set to on.

looks nice.

A great game just got even better.

FightyF

Banned
GT4 doesn't look better for me at all. I'm using a projector over component.

IMO it's better to leave it in 480P.

Then again, I just came off of playing DiRT. :p It could be affecting how a view things, a tad. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Marconelly said:
You have to try games without progressive scan enabled! As soon as you enable that, all the upscaling/smoothing is gone, and the game reverts to 480p. SotC really does look quite a bit better upscaled, at least it does on my TV.

doh! I assumed better is better.

Will try again later with it in interlaced mode.

What do you do for 16:9 games? Normal or full scaling? Whats the difference?

Apocryphon

open_mouth_ said:
just tried god of war 2 upscaled to 1080i with the "enhanced" mode of the game turned on and it looks brilliant. This is a really nice perk to have with the PS3.

Wouldn't that snap it back out of 1080i though?

Majik said:
Wouldn't that snap it back out of 1080i though?
I wonder what happens if you enable 'HD' mode, but don't turn progressive scan on? It's possible you would get a 640*448 interlaced picture which may well be compatible with the scaling. Has anyone tried this?

Yama

Some off screen images of the upscaling feature. Nasty glow/glare effect, excuse the image quality.

Final Fantasy XII

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0010_Layer%202.jpg

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0011_Layer%203.jpg

Biohazard Outbreak

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0012_Layer%204.jpg

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0013_Layer%205.jpg

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0015_Layer%206.jpg

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0014_Layer%207.jpg

Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0007_Layer%208.jpg

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0008_Layer%209.jpg

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0009_Layer%2010.jpg

Fatal Frame 2 Crimson Butterfly (LOOKS AMAZING)

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0006_Layer%2011.jpg

Shadow of the Colossus

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0002_Layer%2012.jpg

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0005_Layer%2013.jpg

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0004_Layer%2014.jpg

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0003_Layer%2016.jpg

Odin Sphere (This game is stunning any way you view it. Eats any PS3 game.)

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0001_Layer%2017.jpg

PLAYSTATION3upscale_0000_Layer%2018.jpg

jonhuz

Have to say upscaling options haven't had the effect I was hoping for with my new 1080p sammy set. Tv did a good enough job.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
FlyinJ said:
Really? It seemed to be just hitting 0 or 100% no matter how lightly I pressed them in GT4. Is there an option you have to turn on to enable it in GT4?
It has to be GT4. I've had no issues playing MGS2 on my PS3 and that baiscally REQUIRES analog buttons in order to function properly.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
mrklaw said:
doh! I assumed better is better.

Will try again later with it in interlaced mode.

What do you do for 16:9 games? Normal or full scaling? Whats the difference?
If the game supports widescreen mode, and you want to use it, set the XMB option to "Full Screen" scaling. If you set it to that, every game will be stretched to fill the whole widescreen, even if it doesn't support widescreen (it that case the game will look horizontally stretched)

Basically, if you want to preserve aspect ratio, set the setting to "Normal" for 4:3 games, and "Full Screen" for games that support 16:9.

trmas

Banned
Using the double scale on DVD's, with RGB to full gives an absolutely excellent picture on my Pioneer. SW and other high quality DVD's almost look HD quality. Almost. FFXII and DQVIII have finally found space on my TV again.

This will keep me tied over until Blue Dragon this Fall. I will rent until then

EekTheKat

I'm starting to favor just leaving the XMB setting on normal and using my TV to stretch an image if it's in 16x9 widescreen mode. It looks pretty damn good on my Sharp 46"

The normal setting looks really sharp for 4:3 games when it's not stretched, and it's a lot easier to tap one button on my TV's remote than to go into the XMB every time to play widescreen vs. normal.

JB1981

Marconelly said:
If the game supports widescreen mode, and you want to use it, set the XMB option to "Full Screen" scaling. If you set it to that, every game will be stretched to fill the whole widescreen, even if it doesn't support widescreen (it that case the game will look horizontally stretched)

Basically, if you want to preserve aspect ration, set the setting to "Normal" for 4:3 games, and "Full Screen" for games that support 16:9.

Really? Games like God of War 2 still have vertical black bars for me (even in fullscreen mode).

Sho Nuff

Banned
Hooked mine up via 1080i HDMI.

I've found that a lot of 60fps stuff looks like dog crap (VF4 and Wipeout Fusion especially) but some 30fps games look much much better. The variance between titles is really weird (WHY does Shadow of the Colossus look so good!?)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
MidgarBlowedUp said:
It always did on my wega.

(Pics are from Janruary, the game looks sharper now than the screens suggest since I've done a few more tweaks to the tv)

Depends on your TV then. It looked like crap in 480p or 1080i on my HD-LCD. And now, it looks like golden sunshine. The cars especially just look beautiful.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sho Nuff said:
Hooked mine up via 1080i HDMI.

I've found that a lot of 60fps stuff looks like dog crap (VF4 and Wipeout Fusion especially) but some 30fps games look much much better. The variance between titles is really weird (WHY does Shadow of the Colossus look so good!?)
It seems that field rendered titles are most likely to suffer from poor image quality. I'd imagine that a 60 fps full frame buffer title would look much better.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I tested it and SotC doesn't look THAT much better. It looks better upscaled though, and even texture shimmering is reduced.

His TV must really, really suck with SD content for SotC to see that kind of improvement. You can see that edge enhancement and sharpness is out of wazoo on the first screen.

Pretty big improvement with Rez, it looks better now than it ever did on any TV I tried (which includes regular interlaced one) can't wait to test ZoE2 and GoW2, I think games with clean lines and shapes benefit from this the most, because Sai2x kinds of algorithms 'know' what to do the best when the contrast between lines is clear and obvious.

JB1981 said:
Really? Games like God of War 2 still have vertical black bars for me (even in fullscreen mode).
You have large, vertical bars, as if you're watching 4:3 content, even though you set scaling to "Full Screen"? Must be some kind of incompatibility with your TV :(
Or... a long stretch, but are you sure you're not changing the DVD scaling option? Game and DVD scaling options are separate.

PS360 said:
dude how the **** do you turn it on???!?!?!!?

L1 + L2 + L3 + square + circle right?

My Sixaxis doesnt stop blinking until the SCEA screen...so how the hell is this possible?!?!? it's pissing me off.
Connect the controller to PS3 using a USB cable. That way it will sync-up much faster and you'll have time to press these buttons.

v1c

I have a westinghouse 32' 1080p, I have been loving it other than the whole handshake issue with the hdmi but now that its fixed its pure sex. Since I didnt get into the warhawk beta (cry) I'll play some ps2 games tonight and take some more pics if im bored (likely). Probably will pick up Odien Sphere tommorrow. :)

vdo

Marconelly said:

Basically, if you want to preserve aspect ration, set the setting to "Normal" for 4:3 games, and "Full Screen" for games that support 16:9.

With not only these settings need to be changed for different games, but also reports of some games looking better than others with the different upscale/filtering options, it seems that a good enhancement would be for the PS3 to allow you to specify a global default of settings that would affect all games as it is doing now, yet also allow you to specify settings per game that could override that default if you choose to on particular games and the PS3 would remember to use those different settings each time you play that game.

Flo_Evans

Robobandit said:
Still waiting for the Okami pics..

maybe I can sit down and wait through the insanely long intro to help you out... **** that I think I'll just go get the PS2 memory card adapter :lol

JB1981

I don't have large vertical bars, Marc. I just have the same built-in vertical underscan bars that accompany ever 16:9 PS2 title.

I'll check again though.

JB1981 said:
I don't have large vertical bars, Marc. I just have the same built-in vertical underscan bars that accompany ever 16:9 PS2 title.

I'll check again though.

Ugh. i would take underscan over overscan anyday...I desperatly need a new tv, F U rear pro CRTS

Remy

Popped in Culdcept last night.

I realize it's mostly 2D art, but the smoothing REALLY helps the sprites. Looks almost as good as the screens I've seen of the 360 version.

Will try to get some pics tonight.

dmann

Damn... why are my ps2 games not looking as good as those shown in this thread. I tested the upscaling w/ FF12 and SotC, and the games still looks like crap . I guess I have my settings on the PS3 wrong?!? The PS3 display is set to 1080p via HDMI, upscale to normal, smoothing to on?!? What gives... BTW I have a Samsung HLS5687W.

Top Bottom